Attention All Nexxus Users: Could some products be dangerous to our health?

chicacanella

I just found this on Southern Tease's site and want to know how you all feel about it. From her website below, my writing in red.

NEXXUS: THE UGLY

Still continuing my research on SkinDeep, I found something very alarming. A brand that’s supposed to be the best of the best NEXXUS had high hazards scores. Here are the top offenders. All of these have high hazard scores (7-10). All contain ingredients that have been linked to cancer and developmental/reproductive toxicity which can range from infertility to birth defects to developmental delays for children. CLICK HERE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF.

• Nexxus Botanoil Botanical Treatment Shampoo
  • Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Strengthening Conditioner
  • Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
  • Nexxus Heat Protexx Heat Protection Styling Spray
  • Nexxus Designing Butter High Fashion Texture Cream
  • Nexxus Aloe Rid Gentle Clarifying Shampoo

I was kind of scared when I saw this since I use Nexxus Heat Protexx Heat Protection Styling Spray this when I straighten my hair. I only straighten my hair about three times a year, but still I don't want anything that is going to cause me cancer. So I went to skin deep's website and heat protectant supposedly causes

Ingredients in this product are linked to:
x_on.gif
Cancer
x_on.gif
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
x_on.gif
Violations, Restrictions & Warnings
x_on.gif
Allergies/immunotoxicity
x_on.gif
Other concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Neurotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Miscellaneous, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Biochemical or cellular level changes

I don't like to take studies and run with them but it did make me do a double-take. I would just like to know if these are people like PETA who tend to overreact a little or do they really represent a plausible argument.:ohwell:

Last edited:
It looks like the high toxity rate is due to fragrance (in almost EVERYTHING i use) and other popular ingredients like Cocamide DEA (in many shampoos). This goes along with the sodium lureth/lureyl sulfate debates. soaps, shampoos, toothpaste and other things we use everyday have these things. Its always best to go natural but that depends on ur preference and budget. Getting cancer or smthg serious depends on exposure, letting these things seep into your skin by not properly cleansing, etc. pollution and smog and 10 thousand other things you can't get away from also cause health issues so i dont think we should get worried about EVERYTHING cuz we'll really go nuts and end up living in the wilderness - lol. its hard for some pple to find what works for their hair - i think TRULY hazardous items/products would not last on shelves the way nexxus has, but thats just IMHO.

It looks like the high toxity rate is due to fragrance (in almost EVERYTHING i use) and other popular ingredients like Cocamide DEA (in many shampoos). This goes along with the sodium lureth/lureyl sulfate debates. soaps, shampoos, toothpaste and other things we use everyday have these things. Its always best to go natural but that depends on ur preference and budget. Getting cancer or smthg serious depends on exposure, letting these things seep into your skin by not properly cleansing, etc. pollution and smog and 10 thousand other things you can't get away from also cause health issues so i dont think we should get worried about EVERYTHING cuz we'll really go nuts and end up living in the wilderness - lol. its hard for some pple to find what works for their hair - i think TRULY hazardous items/products would not last on shelves the way nexxus has, but thats just IMHO.

Thank you, I truly appreciate your (scientific:grin:) input in this study. I am a skeptic about most things anyway and I knew there had to be some reason why so many products were listed. But because I don't know the scientific names of some products or what they enable a product to do, I couldn't really make a critical assessment about the study. But I am glad you know what they do.

I feel the same way also.:yep:

Back