As Your Hair Got Healthier.....

kblc06

Did it get more coarse (as in strand thickness)? I'm loving how thick my hair is growing out since cutting it and my splits are minimal if non-existent. But I've noticed that with this new, stronger hair the individual strands are thick, and the new growth is even thicker. I don't really mind if leads to more durable and a less split-prone hair, but my hair is feeling resistant to treatments and heat; plus my new growth is a looser, but wiry texture. It takes me longer to dry now and I have DC for a minute in order for it to "take"; it also takes a slightly higher temp. in order for my hair to straighten.:ohwell:

I attribute it to a number of factors:
- Consistency with supplements (including biotin and msm)
- More co-washing with DC, particularly Joico Reconstructor (I noticed an increase in strand density at the ends of my hair when used over a period of time)
-Change in diet (2-4 L of water a day, protein & vegetables based diet)

Has this happened it anybody else?

I haven't noticed this with my hair....my hair is the healthiest it's ever been since I've taken care of it..but it's still very fine (fine but dense). My strands are very hard too see unless you hold them up to the light. Maybe someone else will chime in...

My hair seems like it's getting thicker....still a long way to go. I use Joico K pak as well...going to Henna for the first time this weekend hopefully!

Good Post. My strands are becoming not only thicker, but stronger. It could be the biotin, the chlorella, the ayurveda or the Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Perhaps it is the combo, either way my hair is thriving.

My hair got thicker.....

I think it has more to do with the fact that I am not relaxing it to death anymore.

I'm not sure because I never paid attention to my strands before, but they are definitely coarse now. I wish I could compare/contrast. I think co-washing with a DC is a good idea, especially since some of it stays in the hair. My hair likes the thicker stuff.

Yes, my hair got a lot healthier and fuller. Your, cornrow looks great how long did it take you from start to finish? Thanking you in advance.

Susan

Yes! My grass is much thicker now. I'm not sure if it's vitamins, change of relaxer, and a better regimen or what... but it's definitely thicker.

my hair is thicker and I am thrilled but really the only thing I use on it is COCONUT OIL and so I am like :whoot: cause it is looking really good ya know

Yes my hair is getting thicker now and i havent even doing ayurveda or taking biotin. once I get some money I plan to incorporate these into my regimen.

Exercise has definitely helped my hair a lot!

my hair is thicker and I am thrilled but really the only thing I use on it is COCONUT OIL and so I am like :whoot: cause it is looking really good ya know

Yes- my hair is definitely thicker- could be a number of things. My BC hair was much finer. My cousin did warn me that coconut oil- which I love- would make it more coarse. Interesting...

Yes, my hair got a lot healthier and fuller. Your, cornrow looks great how long did it take you from start to finish? Thanking you in advance.

Susan

Thanks! I'm so proud, but they did take a minute because the center-most section of hair got locked in when I braided the outer section to make a boundary, so I had to figure out how to braid it out. I think overall, it took about 2 hours because I took a break after every other braid :yawn:

My hair is actually LESS wiry now. It was wiry when I first BC-ed but as I because caring for it now I'm noticing that the new hair growing in is very curly and hydrated (and thick!) It tempts me to do another BC! :lachen: But I'm okay with it!

Yes- my hair is definitely thicker- could be a number of things. My BC hair was much finer. My cousin did warn me that coconut oil- which I love- would make it more coarse. Interesting...

Hmmm... this is interesting because I've been using cocnut oil to seal for the past several months.

Has this happened it anybody else?
No. I wish.

My strands are as fine and flimsy as ever, and I have splits all over.

I use Joico K Pak reconstructor (it's only been a couple of months, so don't know the effect yet - kind of slacked off the past fortnight because I wasn't sure it was making a difference), coconut oil, and occasionally castor oil on my scalp.
But still fine strands. Anyway, the funny thing is that I'm planning to try / up a few things that you and others mentioned in this thread for hair, health and weight loss: henna / cassia, protein and veggie low carb diet, more biotin, more consistent with msm (i only take it once in a blue moon when I remember).

So kblc, does this mean you're not part of the "super dense hair, but fine strands" posse any more?

1. I am jealous of your braids. If I did not have this big 5head I would be rocking some too.

2. The same thing happened to me when I started taking MSM. My hair became thicker and much coarser, more wiry. I appreciated the thickness but I couldn't take the extreme texture differences and the hardness of my hair. Since stopping the MSM, my hair has returned to its regular texture. Its still very healthy though due to the other vitamins I take.

Since going natural my hair has gotten thicker. Even as a natural I have noticed my twists are looking more thick when I do them.

I think the key is low manipulation, leave me hair alone (as in leave it in twists for almost 2 weeks then twists out)
But most leaving the relaxers alone! (I am speaking about MY situation)

Thanks! I'm so proud, but they did take a minute because the center-most section of hair got locked in when I braided the outer section to make a boundary, so I had to figure out how to braid it out. I think overall, it took about 2 hours because I took a break after every other braid :yawn:

Whoa! You did those yourself? Wooooow. Girl I wish you were closer because I'd sho nuff get ya to hook a sista's grass up! :lol:

No. I wish.

My strands are as fine and flimsy as ever, and I have splits all over.

I use Joico K Pak reconstructor (it's only been a couple of months, so don't know the effect yet - kind of slacked off the past fortnight because I wasn't sure it was making a difference), coconut oil, and occasionally castor oil on my scalp.
But still fine strands. Anyway, the funny thing is that I'm planning to try / up a few things that you and others mentioned in this thread for hair, health and weight loss: henna / cassia, protein and veggie low carb diet, more biotin, more consistent with msm (i only take it once in a blue moon when I remember).

So kblc, does this mean you're not part of the "super dense hair, but fine strands" posse any more?

Nope, but I wonder if I eventually can be :look: My hair is went from the fine category to medium/fine. My twists still look super scalpy and pretty much like crap. It's also still super dense and prone to splits, but they're much less frequent now. It can at least take some manipulation now when before just combing it would lead to splits all the way up the strand (even after a fresh trim). And it wasn't damaged :wallbash:- I mean I babied my hair like a newborn and it would just split for no d@mn reason

1. I am jealous of your braids. If I did not have this big 5head I would be rocking some too.

2. The same thing happened to me when I started taking MSM. My hair became thicker and much coarser, more wiry. I appreciated the thickness but I couldn't take the extreme texture differences and the hardness of my hair. Since stopping the MSM, my hair has returned to its regular texture. Its still very healthy though due to the other vitamins I take.

We obviously must not be looking at the same pic because my forehead is ginormous-actually the same can be said for my entire head. I just rock 'em anyway :drunk:

My hair grew out thicker because I was not relaxing my hair bone straight, plus, I was preventing splits by protecting it. As far as my ends are concerned, I had to trim them off to have healthier looking hair.

IMHO, you cannot thicken ends (or the hair shaft). Collagen and other proteins can make it look thicker but there's no difference to me.

Back