APL's/BSL's is your hair all one length?

gone_fishing

APL's/BSL's is your hair all one length?

I went to my hair dresser last weekend and she wanted to give me a trim. She's a diehard trim every six weeks fan.

I told her if I only grown half an inch a month and she wants to trim an inch every six weeks then aren't I actually NOT making any progress.

She just always seems so scissor happy. She told me my hair wasn't even. Well I'm like it will never be even because my hair grows faster on the left than it does on the right. It always has.

Right now I'm just about APL. I'll be there before Christmas.

I've been BSL before (after I had my son) but when I moved here from Cali and went to this same lady she immediately wanted to even out my hair which meant cutting off 4 inches. Then the regular trims seemed to make my hair shorter and shorter.

So now I tell her no trims. I told her I'll let her know when I need a trim.

So I'm just wondering those of you that are APL or BSL or even WL...is your hair even? Are you holding on to ends you will get rid of once you are a bit beyond your goal?

I'm actually a lil bit past APL. But my hair is not even, it's various lengths. But that a great idea that you told her to lay off the trims for now. I think she's scissors happy too. Six week trims, at that rate you'll never see progress. I might just maintain at BSL for a while to let my other strands catch up.

I'm between apl and bsl. My hair is not even. Its about apl in front and approaching bsl almost everywhere else. Once the sides and back reach mbl I'll trim a little. For now, I dust the ends as needed.

If your hair grows .5 inch per month but she's trimming 1 inch every 6 weeks, you're losing length if my math is right.

Last edited:
My hair was "trimmed" into layers by choice, so it's not even. My last trim was in February and I haven't seen a split end yet! Still DCing and rollersetting for the healthy look.

Nope...not even...check my avvie.

My stylist is the one who told me that my hair grows this way (..."tails" as she calls it...) and to not let anyone try to "even" me up. It doesn't bother me much, I kinda like my "V":look:

My hair grows in a V shape so no it's not even. I just got about 1 inch cut off so it's more even now.

Well my hair in the back is just now touching BSL (I use the bottom of my strap due to the thick 4 hook situation I need to support these DDDs).

The front is an inch or so past APL.

So I don't know what to claim.

I didn't claim APL until all of my hair all the way around was at APL.

I tend to use the shortest portion of my hair to declare my length... cuz I feel like I'd be cheating myself otherwise.

I'm actually BSL, but I have long layers that I plan on keeping. If she can, ask your stylist to just dust your ends, this way you can keep you length

Well my hair in the back is just now touching BSL (I use the bottom of my strap due to the thick 4 hook situation I need to support these DDDs).

The front is an inch or so past APL.

So I don't know what to claim.

I didn't claim APL until all of my hair all the way around was at APL.

I tend to use the shortest portion of my hair to declare my length... cuz I feel like I'd be cheating myself otherwise.

That made me chuckle - the bolded.

My front is only a little past chin length. I usually like my front shorter than the back so I don't know that it will ever be all the same length just by virtue of the way I get it cut.

As far as the 4 inch bra...lol...do they hurt? I had a breast reduction 2 years ago because my bra strap was that thick too. I was HUGE back then...FF. Now I'm a more perky D-DD (inbetweener depending on maker)

nope, my hair grows in a v-shape, and the right side is slightly shorter than the left. the front of my hair got cut recently to frame my face... so i have a bunch of different lengths going on, lol.

it doesn't bother me one bit & it doesn't look bad either. i only plan to trim if my ends start looking raggedy.

i actually prefer v shapes in general to blunt cut. i think the v looks sexy.

Last edited:
That made me chuckle - the bolded.

My front is only a little past chin length. I usually like my front shorter than the back so I don't know that it will ever be all the same length just by virtue of the way I get it cut.

As far as the 4 inch bra...lol...do they hurt? I had a breast reduction 2 years ago because my bra strap was that thick too. I was HUGE back then...FF. Now I'm a more perky D-DD (inbetweener depending on maker)

4 hooks! Not inches, lol. Naw, they don't hurt. They get in my way...but no back/neck/shoulder problems.

My hair isn't even at all. My crown is not as long as the sides and back. My sides and back seem to grow really fast and are pretty much one length. Keep your stylist and her scissors away from you hair.

My hair is uneven and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm right at APL in the back but the front of my hair is a little past my chin. I may even it up once the front is at least APL too.

If I wore my hair straight all the time I would love my hair all one lenth. However with natural hair like mine it wouldnt look right nor would it hang right.:ohwell:

quote=BillsBackerz67;2852735]If I wore my hair straight all the time I would love my hair all one lenth. However with natural hair like mine it wouldnt look right nor would it hang right.:ohwell:[/quote]

CAN WE TAKE OUT A 2 PAGE ADD TELLING THIS TO THE WORLD...perhaps they would stop telling me to get my hair evened out !
Natural do not have to be even all around:ohwell:

Nope, my hair is cut in layers and my longest layer reaches mid back, the front my shortest layer is collar bone length.

My hair is in a "v" shape. The shortest part is BSL and the longest is right above WL. I'm planning on growing my hair past WL and cutting it blunt to MBL. I'm so tempted to trim though because I'm used to it and I think it's time. But I'm trying to be patient.

So I'm just wondering those of you that are APL or BSL or even WL...is your hair even? Are you holding on to ends you will get rid of once you are a bit beyond your goal?
My hair is even, but the ends feel rough at the back. I'd have to cut at least 2" for nice ends all around, but I'm holding out until I see some more growth before cutting.

Yes. I sought to make my hair all one length all though it naturally grows in a "v-shape". I cut about a half inch last month from the "v" so that it'd still be even.

my hair is basically all one length but keep in mind that 11 inches at your crown does not look the same as 11 inches at your nape. in order to look perfectly even, crown, forehead or other top sections of hair would have to grow several inches longer than the sections underneath it. Or, one would have to cut several inches off the bottom layers to match the length from the crown :ohwell:

that's just how natural layers work. my hair, if left to it's own devices, grows into an even U shape in the back.

OP, don't be afraid to tell your stylist to go kick rocks. At the rate she's trimming you, you'd be stuck at one length for an eternity! If you're growing your hair out, as long as you keep your ends in good shape and provide them with plenty of TLC, there is no reason for the constant trimming :nono:

I actually did tell her no thank you. I've pretty much made up my mind that I"ll never let her cut my hair again. She thinks a bent end is a split end and that hair is not healthy unless it's all one length.

Plus I've tested her with some LHCF hair trivia just asking random questions to see what she says and she almost always gives the WRONG answer (imo).

The thing is she is a great stylist and a great conditionerist...and she does keep my hair healthy and feeling great - I just have to keep the scissors away from her.

I have a different lady who does my eyebrows (a white girl but she has mixed children) and I've seen her do some black women's hair. She's pretty good and I was pleased with her dusting someone else's hair while I was waiting to get my eyebrows done one day.

My hair has never been completely even, including when it was MBL. The front sides have always been shorter and a struggle to try and make even with the rest. Even length hair doesn't necessarily equal to good or beautiful hair!

For the most part its even, the sides have almost caught up with the back, but I think the front right is longer than the left and I don't care..its not that noticeable or serious.

I am getting close to BSL, and my hair is in layers. I prefer to keep it in layers, and besides, it doesn't grow evenly anyhow. Don't you hate when people try to make you cut your hair?

All of my hair grows at different rates. My hair is in layers so my back is BSL and the top is hangs close to my chin. Im not even concerned about the eveness yet. I just want it to grow as healthy as possible then when I reach MBL i will think of evening it out. But I actually like my layers.

Yes my hair is one length. I prefer the blunt ends. My hair actually grows pretty evenly too.....with some slight variation. So as it grows, the ends start to look thin because it is all growing at a slightly different rate. I have learned though that if I am patient and wait it out before trimming, I can achieve a nice patch of thick ends, and then trim the rest. If I didn't trim this way, I would probably have some subtle layers. But I'm stuck on the blunt end look so......sacrafices.

My hair grows in a V shape...I've learned to love & accept my natural layers...my stylist does not even bother to pull out her scissors,she knows I will "flip out" if she touches my hair with them...she supports and respects the fact that I want long hair...I dust my own ends after every relaxer...I have retained more length this way (3inches in 6mths) :)

Back is APL and sides are SL, the crown area always has the most newgrowth and the sides much less.. I'm not really going to complain as long as all is healthy and continue to growth while I retain my length, I'm ok.

Back