Anyone ever pre poo with a protein conditioner?

Lilmama1011

and just wash and deep condition with a moisturizing one. Do you still get the same results as in washing first and deep conditioning with the hard protein or do you feel because your hair was dirty and coated with previous product buildup you didn't get the benefits from the protein? I was thinking if I could do that weekly not with a hard protein conditioner and ending it with a moisturizing conditioner that way it gets mild protein and moisturizing benefits every wash and the fourth week doing it with a hard protein. Comments and Concerns are welcomed Thanks in advance ladies :grin:

For me, prepooing just seems like a waste of product. Noting beats post wash deep conditioning imo... Pre-oiling seems like a nice idea so that the shampoo dosn't strip your hair but I wouldn't bother with applying a nice conditioner than shampooing it away...
I shampoo then do a harder protein (K -Pak) for maybe 5 mins and then follow up with a moisture treatment. I don't use a hard protein weekly anyway.

I got plenty of extra conditioner in my stash I'm trying to get rid off so don't mind wasting it, trying to prevent from trashing it. I got more conditioner than oil

I was thinking to prepoo with the biotin shampoo by mills creek with coconut oil and honey because the coconut oil and honey was so messy last time and the conditioner with be a more sturdier base and this time I will sit under the dryer instead of just sleeping over night with it in my hair which I felt no added moisture

:lol:... I still think it's wasteful. Unless you're getting major tangles in your wash why bother to prepoo? I know some women do it but why? :look: I used to do it but nothing beats a nice long post-poo deep con lol.
I prepoo for a moment with V05 just to get my hair slippery before the shampoo but I'm not going to sit down and deep con and then shampoo it all out :lol:. That's for after the shampoo imo.

Last edited:
I do get tangles after washing and deep conditioning that's why I started pre pooing to see if it would get better. I usually prepoo with a conditioner(without the heat) and just comb mist the hair but conditioner and com through and twist hair and then shampoo and deep condition and I still get tangles, I don't know if I have no patience to detangle or what but my ends get tangled and I just continue to pre poo to get rid of the conditioners, I can say the shampoo is less stripping when I pre poo

:lol:... I still think it's wasteful. Unless you're getting major tangles in your wash why bother to prepoo? I know some women do it but why? :look: I used to do it but nothing beats a nice long post-poo deep con lol.
I prepoo for a moment with V05 just to get my hair slippery before the shampoo but I'm not going to sit down and deep con and then shampoo it all out :lol:. That's for after the shampoo imo.

Isn't a post poo deep conditioner the same as pre poo, because you can prepoo with oil or conditioner or both?

Isn't a post poo deep conditioner the same as pre poo, because you can prepoo with oil or conditioner or both?

Imo no... because a pre-poo is being shampooed out whereas a post-poo deep con gets to deposit something that will remain in the hair til the next wash or for some extended time...
I feel like you're just shampooing all the work out if you pre-poo....

Imo no... because a pre-poo is being shampooed out whereas a post-poo deep con gets to deposit something that will remain in the hair til the next wash or for some extended time...
I feel like you're just shampooing all the work out if you pre-poo....

o, ok I see what you mean, you deep condition and rinse out and then style your hair, so it kind of like co washing but letting the conditioner sit and then rinse out with plain water or you deep condition and then co wash as well?

Lilmama1011 I love to follow directions as I believe they are what the makers of a product tested and verified to be the most effective way for it to work.

Directions on Aubrey's GPB read:

"FOR DEEP CONDITIONING: Apply to dry hair and distribute from scalp to ends. Leave on for 15 minutes, then shampoo and condition hair as usual."

So that is how I have used it since it came into my life several years ago and my hair has done well. I wash my hair twice a week and use no products so my hair is hardly dirty when I wash it. It also has no product that would interfere with its penetration into my strands. If I used to use products, I would probably shampoo my hair the day before deep conditioning so I could apply the DC to bare, dry hair.

Arlana, I do not think shampooing after DCing strips hair of the treatment you just gave it. It is what you are supposed to after using Emergencee the other reconstructor I use. I believe DEEP CONDITIONING means internal conditioning and shampooing takes off the excess that wasn't absorbed leaving the surface of strands ready for moisturizing conditioning. The directions were written after testing was done to ensure your hair would benefit from this. So I say follow them.

^^^So if the conditioner says apply after shampooing than you don't use it as a pre poo? Because if this is what you do and it works I will try that as well and only pre poo with oils

^^^^ same here, in fact my hair has thrived since I started to prepoo with a light protein or reconstructor before cleansing. I typically steam the protein conditioner to infuse into my strands, then shampoo and finish up with a moisturizing DC or rinse out conditioner. IMO it's a great way to maintain the moisture/protein balance of my hair.

I pre-poo with Aphogee 2 min, then Wen (as a co-wash/ dc so wash first, then put some more on and leave it for a 30 min- 1 hr). When I first started my hhj, I added oils to the conditioner, not a lot, just, like, a tblsp of wheat germ oil (for the ceramides). I did that mainly bc I was doing a big stretch to jump-start my transition to texlaxed. I don't do it too much any more (unless I'm stretching).

I never sleep in dc's, or anything really, because I have fine hair and I can't play those games. :lol: I never even baggy, it's just too much. Be wary of 'hydral fatigue', even if your hair isn't fine.

I believe it depends on the ingredients.

If the protein is hydrolyzed it's going to enter the cortex. Since it's not actually coating the strand shampoo can't remove it. Arlana isn't wrong though...moisturizing DCs deposit conditioning agents and those get cleaned away because they don't penetrate, they just coat the strand, and shampoo is designed to dissolve it all.

I feel it's kind of wasting money too. I also don't like that the positive charges of the conditioner would be happening before the negative ones on the shampoo. :perplexed I don't understand products like Nonie showed, I guess they're designed this way but...yeah. Imma need them to break down the logistics before I can use it. It kind of reminds me of KCKT which is a leave-in conditioner but um... where's la agua? Cuz that there is a sealant not a moisturizer/leave-in. I just can't make sense out of products like these they make me :drunk::spinning:

[USER=327265]Lilmama1011[/USER];18312075 said:
^^^So if the conditioner says apply after shampooing then you don't use it as a pre poo? Because if this is what you do and it works I will try that as well and only pre poo with oils

No, I don't ever use conditioner before shampooing unless directions say to do so. Until I read the instructions on those two products, I never knew it was a done thing.

I've done it before with varying results - it all depends on the type of protein. Silk amino acids, hydrolysed wheat, oats, soy and other vegetable proteins are fine, and will usually leave you with strength without negatively affecting your hair's elasticity or moisture. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TRY YOUR LUCK WITH KERATIN.

I've kept mild proteins in my hair for a few hours pre-shampoo without any issues but 15 mins with keratin forced me into cowashing and DC'ing for a week straight.

Pre-pooing with protein is trickier than prepooing with moisture - you're a lot more limited in how lazy you can be with leaving it in and what particular conditioners you can use. Do it but be careful!

^^^^ same here, in fact my hair has thrived since I started to prepoo with a light protein or reconstructor before cleansing. I typically steam the protein conditioner to infuse into my strands, then shampoo and finish up with a moisturizing DC or rinse out conditioner. IMO it's a great way to maintain the moisture/protein balance of my hair.

Thank You! That's exactly what I wanted:grin:

Back