Any naturals hate oil besides me?

diamoness

Ive tried using coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oil....they just don't do nuthin for my 4b hair. It just sits there and I feel greasy, the hair still feels dry. Maybe I need super heavy oils or somethin'. What are they supposed to do anyway? Any suggestions?

myco

Are you applying oils to dry hair? My hair is relaxed but I get the exact results that you listed whenever I put oils on dry hair. Maybe they would work better after if your hair was wet/damp.

ThursdayGirl

myco said:
Are you applying oils to dry hair? My hair is relaxed but I get the exact results that you listed whenever I put oils on dry hair. Maybe they would work better after if your hair was wet/damp.

This is when I get the best result from my oils. I agree...try a little on damp hair.

adw425

My DRY hair hates oil. That is why it took me so long to get my hair moisturized/hydrated, etc. so that I could start retaining length because I was putting oil on dry hair. Now, I put oil on wet hair -- practically every evening. I then seal it with a butter or pomade and that was the key that opened to door to my current hair growing success. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but it is the truth. I was trying so hard to moisturize my dry hair and it just dried out more and I was sooooo frustrated...My wet hair loves oil -- loves, loves, loves it!

diamoness

RelaxerRehab said:
:wave: It seems wet or dry, oils are not friendly with my hair. Makes it feel gummy and smushy....

Yeah....dry, gummy and smushy!!!!.. Maybe we havent found the right oils? Any super heavy oils out there?

ThursdayGirl

diamoness said:
Yeah....dry, gummy and smushy!!!!.. Maybe we havent found the right oils? Any super heavy oils out there?

You might try Qhemet Biologic's Alma Heavy Creme (something like that) . My hair really likes it or her Honey Olive hydrating balm.

keluric

I don't really think you need a heavy oil. I know you mentioned you add oil after conditioner washes but when was the last time you clarified? Maybe you have some build-up? If not, I would suggest using a moisturizer then layering with oil.

adw425

diamoness said:

Does it still feel that way after it has dried? Do you use a butter or pomade after putting in the oil?

camellia

Jojoba oil is the closest to our natural sebum, it's actually a kind of wax, not an oil.

As far as heavy oils, avocado, papaya, unrefined hemp seed, mango, pomegranate seed (very expensive), and pumpkin seed are all oils I consider very "rich". I think of coconut oil as one of the "lighter" ones.

I apply oils to damp or wet hair only. They "seal in " the moisture.

PaperClip

adw425 said:
Does it still feel that way after it has dried? Do you use a butter or pomade after putting in the oil?

For me, the oil feels the same way on my hair hours after I have applied it. I have used EVOO, coconut, jojoba, and castor oils. The hair feels so greasy. I've tried it wet, dry, clean, dirty, so on and so forth.

Similar effects with the butters. I have Qhemet's Sidr Butter. Went on decently at first. Minutes later, greasy, almost tacky.

Cheleigh

My hair doesn't seem to like oils unless they're mixed with conditioner or some other creamy product. I can use oil-heavy products like Curls Milkshake, Regis Oilve Oil Conditioner, or WGO, or olive oil mixed with other products for a deep conditioner, but just adding oil on top of wet or dry hair doesn't do much for it. I can also add oil in almost every homemade hair product I have, so it's obviously not oil per se, but more oil straight up that doesn't work for my hair.

camellia

RelaxerRehab said:
For me, the oil feels the same way on my hair hours after I have applied it. I have used EVOO, coconut, jojoba, and castor oils. The hair feels so greasy. I've tried it wet, dry, clean, dirty, so on and so forth.

Similar effects with the butters. I have Qhemet's Sidr Butter. Went on decently at first. Minutes later, greasy, almost tacky.

How much are you using? A little oil can go a very long way. When I use an oil I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons full for all of my hair. I pour a little in my hand, rub my palm together and them lightly smooth the oil onto my hair.

PaperClip

camellia said:
How much are you using? A little oil can go a very long way. When I use an oil I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons full for all of my hair. I pour a little in my hand, rub my palm together and them lightly smooth the oil onto my hair.

Actually, I can be a bit heavy handed. I'm sure it was much more than a teaspoon or 2.... :perplexed :)

brownsugarflyygirl

I feel you...my 4b naturalness was not feeling olive or coconut oils....and I wasnt about to try vegetable.

Olive oil works for me ONLY when its mixed in with my DEEP conditioner and then washed out....but otherwise :nono:

BUT on the other hand, my hair loves loves loves castor and jojoba oils......castor+jojoba+water=soft shiny hair:grin: as everyday moisturizers...

I would try those if I were you...they are relatively cheap too...I saw some other ladies suggested them as well

camellia

RelaxerRehab said:
Actually, I can be a bit heavy handed. I'm sure it was much more than a teaspoon or 2.... :perplexed :)

If I use more then a teaspoon and a half I look like I stuck my head into a grease pit! My hair clumps together and looks terrible!:lachen:

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
The natural ladies who deal with their hair daily have made some great suggestions. I'm just gonna co-sign on the castor oil - it's the truth for my daughter's natural 4b. I got the black CO on my last trip to Jamaica. It's heavy, but not super greasy/oily; it's more tacky (but not too much so) and absorbs into and softens her hair better than other oils I've tried. However, I don't manipulate her hair daily because she wears mostly braids.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
My hair isn't a fan of oil unless it is mixed with something else. There is one exception. When I wash my hair while it's twisted, I apply coconut oil and let it air dry. This keeps a little shine going and I find it makes the eventual twist out last longer.

For my regular regimen, I mix WGO with my Aveda Be Curly as a leave-in, but aside from that, oil doesn't do anything to moisturize my hair.

mslionheart

I use oils for my scalp only. Except for jojoba oil, most are just too thick for me to feel comfortable putting them on my hair. Like others posted, any oils that go on my hair are typically already part of the ingredients of the product(s) I use.

tsiporah

keluric said:
I don't really think you need a heavy oil. I know you mentioned you add oil after conditioner washes but when was the last time you clarified? Maybe you have some build-up? If not, I would suggest using a moisturizer then layering with oil.

I agree Keluric,

The hair may need some moisturizing first then, Oil. My hair is the same way. The hair may need moisture instead of oil, because when applied over dry unmoisturized hair, it will simply be, dry oily hair.
When I use some form of Moisturizer then my hair loves the oil.

ToyToy

My hair doesn't like oils either. I have tried coconut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil all on damp hair (and then I braided my hair up), and my hair was crispy when it dried. It's even choosey with butters. On damp hair I can only use Qhemet Sidr Trea or unrefined virgin shea butter. Anything else would make my hair dry.

tsiporah

One thing we have to realize is that Oily hair and moisturizing hair are two different things.

Moisturize= puting MOISTURE into the hair.

Oiling= puting Oil into the hair.

Water (or products that have water or attract water is different than oil which is a fat.)

Oil is not a water.

So when you need to oil the hair, moisturize first then add oil to SEAL in the moisture.

I think the just oil thing is why sometimes our hair looks greasy and glumped together.

tsiporah

Try a moisturizing cream. i.e. the one by the Pantene line that is a leave-in moisturizing cream.

I like to use my veg glycerine/liquid mixture to spray it on then oil it.

The Girl

yeah I was hard headed for a long time...I was insisting on using oil to moisturize. It just doesnt work. Once I switch to moisturizing....my hair is totally different