Any ladies get their hair done at a beauty school?

yodie

Thinking of getting my hair curled with those marcel irons at a beauty school. Anyone regularly get their hair done at a beauty school? If so, how was your experience and which school did you try? Was it affordable?

I'm also thinking of taking a class to learn how to use the marcel curling irons myself. Not sure if I can take just one class.

Thanks.

My wig was layer cut at the Aveda Institute. They are super careful/boderline scared when cutting (a plus for me), and the final product was perfect.

Bumping. Can anyone share their experiences getting their hair done at a beauty school?

I don't remember the name. I think it was a regional one in Texas. I'll try to look for the name beacause it might be national. I used to go such a long time ago , I think it was when I was 15 actually (i'm 20 now). But yeah I remember it being cheaper, that's why my ma took me there in the first place. It's cheaper obviously because they aren't actual professional. That's when I was relaxed and I was getting a touch up. They do a good job. Kacie isn't joking. They are scared/nervous so they are extra careful. I didn't get a trim, but they did a good job relaxing. No burns or scars. And if you're only getting your hair curled, you should be fine.

My experiences were ok up until the last time I visited. I went for a press (flat iron) and curl and they girl forgot to test the flat iron before putting it on my hair and burnt a chunk of my hair out.

Now that I think of it I wonder if that is the reason I am having trouble growing my hair on the right side. I did have a scab on my scalp, she may have damaged the roots. I dont know...

It was affordable, $15 for a press and curl. I dont remember the name but it was a beauty college downtown in Long Beach, CA.

Last edited:
I had a large chunk of the front of my hair burned out with a Marcel iron as well. When I was younger my mom would only take us to the local beauty school. I've never had a good experience at a beauty school. I don't trust them at all.

My hair was bsl and the burned piece was maybe 2 inches, the instructor wanted to cut my hair super short to blend it. I got out the chair and told my mom I would wait by the car. Another time a few years later I went to a trim. I had a male stylist who took my hair out of a ponytail the cut it straight across. WTH!?!? He didn't comb it down or anything. If it was just a case of not asking where my part is I would have let it slide, but he just cut it. And you know most black peoples hair doesn't just fall flat after being in a ponytail all day.

Again, an instructor offered to fix it and I got up and left. Beauty schools can be cheaper (my mom was paying for 4 heads of hair) but if the price is an issue I would suggest going to a walmart or discount cuttery. They are licensed and usually do a great job. In my old neighborhood there was a Dominican woman at walmart who will rollerset, blowdry, then cut my hair exactly how I want it and only for around $20.

I've got wet sets done @ a beauty school with my grandma and they did a really good job. I mean how hard is it to a wet set anyway? They were cheap and since the girls were young they were chatty so I wasn't bored. *i was about 10 or 11 I think*

My grandma likes to go but she doesnt go as much because she has a TWA and she'd prefer to do it herself and save money.

They're very affordable, but they make me really nervous. Last time I tried one, it was with a friend who was a student, so I trusted her. Although she didn't do any harm, one thing I did notice is they use really cheap products. If you're going to go that route, take your own stuff please!

When I was a kid my mom took me to a beauty school a few times to get my hair done. I don't remember much about it, but I remember the stylists gave me candy because I was so quiet and well-behaved. I think I was about 9 years old.

I've had my hair done at two beauty schools in my city. One was black-owned and I could get anything I wanted done. A student would wash my hair and sit me under the dryer, and the owner (a black lady) would finish. She installed my weaves a few times and I even had a relaxer done by a Hispanic lady (not PR or Dominican). I had stop going there b/c I think the owner stole some of my hair when I came in for a weave.

The other salon was meh. I had my weave washed and styled, but the problem was my tracks weren't completely dry underneath. Never again.

I wouldn't rule them out, but be careful. You've been warned.

I have had My hair done at the Concorde School of Hair Design here in My area, but, it is scarey knowing that they are students doing Your hair, but if it helps, only the Senior students, about to graduate, Supervised by the Instructors are the only ones who can work in the Salon, and the majority of them are already working in Salons part time, and Cheap, Girl, because it is a School, they are only allowed to charge You for product used, not service, and if You only get Basics, like a wash and set (Rollerset), thats fairly simple, not much can go wrong with that. I pay 7 Bucks for a Rollerset, can't beat that.

I get a shampoo, dc, and rollerset, or ceramic flat iron, for 8 dollars and they use Design Essentials, Keracare, Paul Mitchell.....

They do a fantastic job

I went to the Paul Mitchell school in Tinley Park, Ill., (a suburb of Chicago) and asked for a student that was good with AA relaxed hair. This black lady who was already a cosmetologist, just not licensed, hooked me up! She had my hair looking A-mazing! And she knew so much about hair and the chemistry behind what we do to our hair. It was a wonderful experience and it made me want to switch to an all Paul Mitchell reggie lol.

Back