Alter ego GArlic mask: Why it works

ok....so I have been tempted to buy this product for 8 months now, but all the ingredients further up on the list don't seem that great, and the active ingredient (garlic) seems to b way down on the bottom meaning it comprises a relatively small amount in comparison to the other ingredients....but you all say it works well.....I may have to reconsider this product, but my question is.....does it give a ''cony'' feel to the hair?....and does it weigh it down?....TIA for any answers you ladies can provide.....

Garlic is not the only active ingredient.

There are 3 active ingredients that contribute to the reduction of shedding.

Some ingredients are put at the bottom because of how they are added to a formulation during the mixing phase.

I dont paticularly like coney feeling products on my hair, even when flatironed. I was hesitant about that as well. The directions say to only apply on the scalp so it should not weigh the hair down.

If you are still nervous you can always take 2 garlic heads and blend it up into one of your favorite conditioners

Garlic is not the only active ingredient.

There are 3 active ingredients that contribute to the reduction of shedding.

Some ingredients are put at the bottom because of how they are added to a formulation during the mixing phase.

I dont paticularly like coney feeling products on my hair, even when flatironed. I was hesitant about that as well. The directions say to only apply on the scalp so it should not weigh the hair down.

If you are still nervous you can always take 2 garlic heads and blend it up into one of your favorite conditioners

Wow....you learn something new everyday....I always thought it was the lesser ingredients that were at the bottom of the list. but I purchased something from lotion crafters and was online looking at recipes and they said such n such(ie:silk amino acids) could be added during the cooling phase....I guess that's what you mean.....lol.....and thank you for the response and advice about the garlic clove......but I think I am going to give the Alter Ego a try....all the ladies on here seem to rave about it.....I am really glad this thread was started!....THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!

quick question ladies! what is the difference between the ALTER EGO Garlic Hair Treatment and the Alter Ego Garlic Hair Mask?

@drmuffin It is not okay for your scalp to itch after using any product. It is possible that your are allergic to one of the ingredients. I always suggest a patch test when using products with ingredients that are not common.

I suggest you stop using it and consider using a homemade garlic conditioner; I included a link to one that seemed to help the oung lady.

ETA: I saw you did an overnight DC with this. With any treatment I would try to stick with the directions. Try it again as directed and see if your itchiness comes back.

Thanks! the first time I used it, it wasn't overnight and I don't recall any itchies. The next two times I used it including this past time, it got the itchies. So I really think that it was the overnight thing. I tried the homemade thing a while back, and it was messy and reeked of garlic (duh!). So here's the deal: I'm in the market for a steamer and I'm gonna dc with that instead of overnight. But until my bank account allows me to get my steamer, I think I'm gonna cut out the overnight thing and DC with my hooded dryer.

quick question ladies! what is the difference between the ALTER EGO Garlic Hair Treatment and the Alter Ego Garlic Hair Mask?

@Angelicus

I meant to mention that

They are the same thing. The one that says use on scalp is the new label

I quoted my answer to someone elses post as well.

They are the same thing. The label gets updated everyso often but the main ingredients remain the same, they might change around the preservatives or the coloring. I asked when I was in the BSS. I also read the ingredients of all the containers I saw with a magnifiying glass( I didnt really but you get the idea)

Yay, I finally bought it today! :D Can't wait to try it.
Question: Has anyone tried the corresponding Garlic shampoo? Like the PJ I am, I bought that too :look:

I just received my order. Can it be used weekly?

I'm Relaxed. I usually use it on the day of my Relaxer and then DC with it about week(s) 1-4 Post or as needed.:yep:

I think you probably could use it weekly (if you were experiencing excessive shedding).

I also cowash with Nutrine Garlic as well 1-3,4 weeks Post Relaxer to ward off any "potential shedding"

Last edited:
I just ordered this during Easter Sunday Service ... :look:

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

I received my order yesterday afternoon. Can't wait to use it on Saturday...

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back