All The Products I Need To Address Highly Porous Hair

i bought the joico hydrating conditioner :love:

it's amazing. im about to look up their product line because i'm still not satisfied with leave ins or sealers. i'm getting closer to cracking the mystery though. my hair feels pretty good.

@CaraWalker

There are a few vendors that offer a "Non-Petroleum" Jelly. You may want to look into those.

I know Annabelle's Perfect Blends has one. Someone just sent me a Jar. Very nice.

And I also think Jakeala has one

@CaraWalker

There are a few vendors that offer a "Non-Petroleum" Jelly. You may want to look into those.

I know Annabelle's Perfect Blends has one. Someone just sent me a Jar. Very nice.

And I also think Jakeala has one

thanks. i'll look into that. honestly the sealant part will probably be easier to solve than the leave in part. i have tried a lot of different leave ins and i dont think ive ever found any that i like. not sure what i need when it comes to that.

let me see if i can think of the ones ive tried

kinky curly knot today.... HATED IT... this stuff was garbage on my hair
jane carter solutions creme... i think i started using that as lotion for ashy elbows... i used that jar real quick tho so maybe it was ok
qhemet biologics amla something... hated it...
eden coconut creme... defined my curls but didn't help with softness
john frieda vitamin leave in which is a liquid spray... my hair used to love that stuff and now it doesnt...
elasta qp mango butter... hated it....

idgi. my hair will feel so amazing after washing and while it's drying but once it dries, blecch. im wondering if maybe it would help me to start drying with a blow dryer.

Last edited:
@CaraWalker

I think you'll be able to correct your Hi-Po issue.

When I 1st joined LHCF I was extremely Hi-Po and double/triple processed.

After some work, I returned to Normal Porosity.

I have the same problem @CaraWalker has. None of the products mentioned on the entire forum, work on my hair. Not Qhemet, APB, Naturellegrow, Komaza..none of them. I'm thinking about going back to my old hair dresser George Bruckner at Hair Fashions East. When I was relaxed, I had the most beautiful, long, healthy hair. I just can't stay natural anymore. Gray, kinky hair is making me look old.

thanks. i'll look into that. honestly the sealant part will probably be easier to solve than the leave in part. i have tried a lot of different leave ins and i dont think ive ever found any that i like. not sure what i need when it comes to that.

let me see if i can think of the ones ive tried

kinky curly knot today.... HATED IT... this stuff was garbage on my hair
jane carter solutions creme... i think i started using that as lotion for ashy elbows... i used that jar real quick tho so maybe it was ok
qhemet biologics amla something... hated it...
eden coconut creme... defined my curls but didn't help with softness
john frieda vitamin leave in which is a liquid spray... my hair used to love that stuff and now it doesnt...
elasta qp mango butter... hated it....

idgi. my hair will feel so amazing after washing and while it's drying but once it dries, blecch. im wondering if maybe it would help me to start drying with a blow dryer.

@CaraWalker
I think I need to start blowdrying too. I have gotten so lazy with airdrying that I rarely even detangling anymore. I just apply leave ins, moisturize, seal in sections and push my hair back to wear my wig. But I do seem to be retaining length though.

I plan to start blowdring using the tension method on warm air. I also need to try an acv final rinse again.

@CaraWalker
I think I need to start blowdrying too. I have gotten so lazy with airdrying that I rarely even detangling anymore. I just apply leave ins, moisturize, seal in sections and push my hair back to wear my wig. But I do seem to be retaining length though.

I plan to start blow drying using the tension method on warm air. I also need to try an acv final rinse again.
Yeah I think my hair prefers to be straight. I may start blow drying it again too. I am only able to retain moisture when its straight. Yikes!

I think my hair bounces easily between the two. Right now I'm relaxed, been so since Nov 2013 but heavily contemplating going back natural. Right now I'm stalking everything and every site for inspiration on achieving healthy hair.

Back when my hair was relaxed, it was very hi-po and retaining moisture was a big issue.

Things that I recall from back then:
- Oils were a NO. Butters worked well. If I used oils, it was exclusively as sealants after a layer of some butter of some type (avocado was a fave). Under no circumstances would adding oil directly to my hair result in anything good.
- Air-drying loose hair was a recipe for disaster. Braids, and specially bantu-knots with a scarf on top worked wonders in retaining moisture as it dried.
- DAILY water-spraying/buttering/sealing then sleeping with a scarf.
- Roux porosity control. It would melt tangles like nothing else. When my porosity was corrected, it was terrible all of a sudden.
- Regular protein treatments. I just used eggs.

@deborah11

After each DC'ing session, I used a Porosity Corrector as a final R/O. (Various ones)

I had "High" porosity and a couple years ago, when I went to a Salon, they recorded my Hair as "Normal Porosity" on my Client Card.

Back