A setback to learn from - colour

SimJam

So exactly a year ago I decided to colour my hair. I wnt to my usual salon and got the service done.

she lifted the colour from my hair and added a semi-permanant colour
My hair was abt 4 inches in length (stretched) at that time

DSC00511-1.jpg

yep I liked it and I rocked da heck outta it (can u spot the white cat hair ? LOLOLOLOL)

DSC00757.jpg

failed flat iron attempt (january 2011)
DSC01288.jpg

all of the semi-permanant colour gone my now.
twistoutcompflash.jpg

HOWEVER

I realized that since abt January 2011 my hair really hasnt gained much length. Its quite obvious that it has grown but the rention is just about NILLLLLLLL

so about 3 months ago I decided to put myself on a personal challenge to take contol of my ends. This included gradually trimming off the coloured ends and upping my DCs and protein treatments.

so now
  1. Ive pretty much cut all of the colour off - I struggled with brittle ends from the colour from abt 4 or 5 moonths after I coloured
  2. I think Ive got the protein/moisture balance back.
  3. I restarted using roux porosity abt 2 weeks ago and whoa, such a difference - I had stopped because I only wanted to be using natural products in my hair BUT sometimes I guess I will need some "un natural" products to upkeep the health of my hair
COMPARISION

August 2010
DSC00531.jpg

June 2011 I cut the last bits of colour off last week (abt 0.75 inch in some places)
DSC01808.jpg

so now I can really track my growth:grin:
thats assuming that it was the colour that was hindring my retention :look:

I think I would still colour again though but maybe at an AVEDA salon or something or just not lift the colour from my hair so much arrrgh:spinning:

Last edited:
Once you colour especially a lighter colour you must adjust your regimen to accommodate it, even if it seems your hair is fine. Protein becomes your best friend and special attention (even more than usual) has to be given to your ends.
The good thing about colour is you definitely see how much growth you had, retention...that's another story, doesn't stop me though:yep:

well you have retained a lot since last year. your hair looks a little longer than your 2010 pic. i dig your hair and that color. i had a setback this year from using some box hair dye. never again will i use that crap.

Yeah, I just recently cut off about half the length of my hair at the front. (The parts I coloured.) Not because I had damage though, just because I'm so sick of the red now but it's permanent and I didn't wanna put another permanent colour over it, and I'm too impatient to trim bit by bit so I just hacked off half of it. Lol.

Looks a bit weird now coz the front is quite significantly shorter than the rest but I can disguise it so it's cool. I'm gonna give the colouring a break now but like you, I can't say I'm gonna give it up completely. Lol.

Your colour looked lovely btw.

i had a color related setback too...i think it was more of me slacking on my regimen, rather than the actual color...but it seems like I haven't retained anything in 3 months, and my ends are damaged (from the Tangle Teezer)...i dyed my hair back to black with a semi-perm last week, and i don't think I'll be experiencing with lightening my hair again...I should've just got clip ins.

chiming in on the color setback, although I don't think it was the actual color. mainly the change in environment and not knowing how to adjust for the change. i moved to an extremely hard water, dry air place--water so hard it leaves calcified stains on everything! hair color couldnt take it. so i cut off about 2 1/2 inches of the color and got my hair back into shape. i recently used a semi-perm color to go back to my natural shade and have started protective styling.

i really loved my red hair, but i think i'll be waiting a while before trying again.

Back