2 inches in three months

HeChangedMyName

Is that normal? I did a henna back on 10/14/08 and of course my grays were a pretty reddish color. now I can still see the red on the ends but the growth is up to its old tricks. So anyway, is 2 inches three months a good thing? How fast does your hair grow?

HeChangedMyName

mine grows .25 inches a month. very slow.

congrats on the growth!

did you change your diet? or exercise?

No, I just started using Cantu Shea Butter religiously. to slick things down, to moisterize, to set, I also started using Aphogee pro-vitamin leave in and Vidal Sassoon color secure leave in. Not sure which of these things got me the growth. I also stopped sealing my hair since the cantu has oil in it. I rarely ever seal anymore. Diet stayed roughly the same, maybe a little more greens for the antioxidant effects.

prospurr4

Is that normal? I did a henna back on 10/14/08 and of course my grays were a pretty reddish color. now I can still see the red on the ends but the growth is up to its old tricks. So anyway, is 2 inches three months a good thing? How fast does your hair grow?

It's a very good thing! :yep: I get 2" in 3 months when I eat healthy, exercise 3 days a week (mainly cardio), and drink plenty of water (at least half my body weight in ounces).

Before I started doing the above, I would get 1/2" a month max.

IrisDaVirus

I've had growth spurts like that in the warmer months. My best months for hair growth are May through September.

HeChangedMyName

Oh yes!!! Did you take pics?

My greys are spread all out so it doesn't translate well on camera. . .I don't have a very high quality digital. :ohwell:
I think I'm finally finished trimming off my old damage from before I started taking care of my hair so hopefully now, my length will begin to build up. My approach was to grow an inch, trim and inch, grow, trim, etc. My hair was severely overprocessed, heat damaged, and a general hot mess.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

It's a very good thing! :yep: I get 2" in 3 months when I eat healthy, exercise 3 days a week (mainly cardio), and drink plenty of water (at least half my body weight in ounces).

Before I started doing the above, I would get 1/2" a month max.

And your hair is beautiful too. So, now that I am eating and exercising on purpose and drinking more water than I normally did, I wonder if I will get more growth. Now I have to focus on retention and I may have my dream hair by the end of the year. I just HATE most protective styles and my hair doesn't handle tension very well. Hopefully the extra water will help with that.

spinspinshuga

I exercise a minimum of four days a week, eat well, and still only get .5 inches every two months, maximum. These last two months I only got .25...WITH the hair vitamins I've been taking. Makes me want to cry :(
Enjoy your growth! You are very lucky.

HeChangedMyName

I exercise a minimum of four days a week, eat well, and still only get .5 inches every two months, maximum. These last two months I only got .25...WITH the hair vitamins I've been taking. Makes me want to cry :(
Enjoy your growth! You are very lucky.

your hair is gorgeous. How long did it take you to get to that length, or has your hair just always been longer that way?

spinspinshuga

your hair is gorgeous. How long did it take you to get to that length, or has your hair just always been longer that way?

Thanks. This is the longest my hair has been in the past three years or so, but is also one of the shortest lengths my hair has been throughout my life other than those three years. My hair has always been somewhat long and has definitely been much longer than this, due to my mother's protective styling. It took me about three or four years to get back to this length, and I think it hasn't increased in length for this past year.

I hope we'll get to see your growth soon!

HeChangedMyName

Thanks. This is the longest my hair has been in the past three years or so, but is also one of the shortest lengths my hair has been throughout my life other than those three years. My hair has always been somewhat long and has definitely been much longer than this, due to my mother's protective styling. It took me about three or four years to get back to this length, and I think it hasn't increased in length for this past year.

I hope we'll get to see your growth soon!

what type of protective styling do you use now. I am finding that for my length, I can't really do a bun without it looking like a duck's booty. I have started experimenting with just taking sections and twisting them and pinning them so that it looks like an attempt. Here is my hair recently. This is whole new head of brand new hair that I grew out after regular trimming to get rid of ALL the damage, there may be about an inch left but it isn't terrible so I'll probably leave it alone. I plan to use this as a gauge for my growth. Hopefully my pony will be inches longer by the end of the year.

audacity.

what type of protective styling do you use now. I am finding that for my length, I can't really do a bun without it looking like a duck's booty.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

that was funny!

2" in 3 months is remarkable growth! i would say that mine grows about that rate (when i'm doing all the "right" things) and that's above average!

grow, girl!

danimani

When I was natural, I got an inch a month, easily.

Now that I'm relaxed, I'm still getting more than a half inch a month.

Yes, it's possible, but probably not very common. My hair grows fast. I was born with a full head of hair as a baby and it grew pretty quickly then too.

prospurr4

And your hair is beautiful too. So, now that I am eating and exercising on purpose and drinking more water than I normally did, I wonder if I will get more growth. Now I have to focus on retention and I may have my dream hair by the end of the year. I just HATE most protective styles and my hair doesn't handle tension very well. Hopefully the extra water will help with that.

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I not only get faster growth, but it's also thicker. Sometimes, I have to keep this in mind as a motivator to workout and eat right. A heathy body really does produce healthy hair. :yep:

I wish you success with length retention so you can keep all that beautiful hair as it grows.