1 yr update (pics) Need advice

acooks143

Hello All,

I started my journey back in Nov 08 but with me refusing to cut my ends I did not get far so I cut it to around Neck Length Sept 09 (first pic) Now exactly 1 yr later here I am and I am not sure why this back section refuses to grow. It is the same length I cut it to last year and the rest have grown a lil over 4in. Any advice?

Not sure why it keeps telling me the file is too big when they are really small pics but if you dont mind looking thru my links below

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z226/acook143/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTkuanBn.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z226/acook143/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjAuanBn.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z226/acook143/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTQuanBn.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z226/acook143/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjEuanBn.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z226/acook143/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTYuanBn.jpg

Also I am afraid to cut and start over because if its not growing at all in the back and the rest is I think I will just be in the same predicament next year

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attachments

• sept09.jpg
    sept09.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 52
  • hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 94
  • hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 146
are you sure it's not growing in the back...? you could probably just be having a problem with breakage and not noticing the breakage... you should evaluate the type of styles you wear and how you handle the back of your hair. eta---do you wear sew ins? when i got back to back sew ins at one point last year, my hair had a "w" shape going on in the back sorta similar to yours from breakage... breakage can sometimes be a "silent" hair killer so you should really look at that as a possibility.

Last edited:
What's your regimen? Do you wear anything like scarves or high collared shirts? It's interesting how it's just that area.

Are you wearing your hair in tight ponytails? That is never good.
Are you wrapping your hair at night?
How often do you wear your hair down?
And most importantly what is your regimen?

If your hair is permed, try stretching your relaxers. The new growth will actually be able to tell you if the problem is a retention issue or a growth one.

^^^^^ To everyone above.. My regime is simple wash and DC once every week. Trim ends every 6 to 8 wks. My hair is pretty healthy and I am not experiencing any breakage.
I sleep on silk pillow cases and wrap with silk scarfs. I pin my hair up because I wear half wigs and never wear it in ponytails most of the time I just leave a lil out at the top. It just really is NOT growing there. I get a perm maybe once a year and protect my scalp with vaseline in each section when applying.

I don't think think u should cut it and start over..i'm waiting to hear if you're wearing ponytails..wearing silk/satin scarves or satin pillow case

I think the part that is not growing has more to do with retention, than growth.. because our hair grows at the same rate everywhere. Perhaps you can keep the part that's not growing (or all of your hair) in braids?

I have the same issue with the back of my hair. I cut about 3 inches of my hair last October trying
to even it off. Now almost a year later the rest is back to the same length, but the back just isn't growing at the same rate. I am going to start my PS for the winter months and work on my back throughout the winter months. I will not cut it again.

I agree with the ladies above. It looks to be more of a retention issue than anything else. I would definitely look into the styles, and reggie that could be the culprit.

Thanks for the feedback but I know it is not a retention issue as I stated I have no breakage and I dont even see any new growth from my scalp back in that area. I think there is defintely a problem but I just dont know what it is yet.
I am hoping someone here has had this problem and overcame it

Hey Op, I don't know if its in your budget, but if you can swing it, invest in a hair steamer, it has done wonders for my hair. Since I've been using it which is weekly, I haven't seen an increase in splits. I have used it faithfully since receiving it about 3 months ago.

Hey there, Acooks. I'm so sorry to see you going through this hair trial. I would say that whatever regi, protective style, etc you're doing now is causing you damage in that area. I think you should go very very low mani. Have you seen LadyP's thread going from TWA to hip length in 4 years? Here's her thread on how she went from TWA to MBL in three TWA to MBL in 3 years, *pics* She shares lots of details about her reggie and her hair remains protected and in braids. Maybe you could try a half wig and adopt her simple reggie for 6 months and see if you're still experiencing breakage?

I hope I don't sound mean but are yall reading my post?! I have been wearing half wigs for a year and use very low low manipulation to my hair. I keep my ends trim so I dont have any splits. Everywhere is growing but the back. I was able to retain 4 1/2 in this past year. It has gotten healthier and thicker but for some awful reason that back part will not budge.

I really appreciate the feedback though but please chim in on any other things you think it could be

I've read that some ladies experienced breakage from the combs on the half wigs so they take them out.
So my question is, do you wear them with or without the combs?

I know someone that had an issue like that but it was because someone set fire to a particular area in her hair so it just always stayed at one length in that area. She wasn't giving it much care though so she eventually just quit relaxing that area cold turkey and it grew back in some. Still slow but it's coming along.

That's weird. Maybe you should see a derm.

BTW where do you pin your hair at?

If someone's not cutting your hair in your sleep, I would consult a professional. That's not normal. It could be something hormone related (kinda like male pattern baldness) causing the hair at the crown only not to grow.

One does have combs in the back and another one I wear doesnt but I didnt give it too much thought because I work from home so I really only put it on during the wkends

I hope I don't sound mean but are yall reading my post?! I have been wearing half wigs for a year and use very low low manipulation to my hair. I keep my ends trim so I dont have any splits. Everywhere is growing but the back. I was able to retain 4 1/2 in this past year. It has gotten healthier and thicker but for some awful reason that back part will not budge.

I really appreciate the feedback though but please chim in on any other things you think it could be

I was just about to ask that! I highly recommend you try to visit a derm (not a primary care physician because they most likely dont know but they may have to give you the referral). Have you noticed NO growth at all or is it just really slow growth like maybe 1 inch in one year?

I've read that some ladies experienced breakage from the combs on the half wigs so they take them out.
So my question is, do you wear them with or without the combs?
This is exactly what I was going to point out. If combs are involved, ditch the half wig you have or wigs all together. I tried a wigs (with comb) this winter/spring and it damaged my hair HORRIBLY! My hair thinned similar to yours. My hair developed that upside down W. I trimmed my hair a bit and ditched the wig.

I know your saying that it isn't a retention issue, but if it was a growth issue, it would have to have occurred within the last year because you are not completely bald back there. Maybe you should try a different protective style other than the half wig. If you are really concerned that it is a growth issue, you should definitely see a dermatologist or doctor.

OP, do you think it could be an issue with your relaxer? Maybe there are burns in that area? I used to self-relax and once I didn't base my hair well and the relaxer burned a tiny part of my hairline. Its not noticeable (just a tiny spot undetectable to anyone else), but its been ten years and it still hasn't grown back. The small amount of hair there is scabby and rough.

If its not the relaxer, it sounds like some sort of issue related to your scalp. I think you need to see a dermatologist.

Back