A Stylist's Guide to Better Salon Experiences (I hope)

balisi

A Stylist's Guide to Better Salon Experiences (I hope) -- Kinda Long

Hi Ladies!

I've been doing plenty of thinking about the negative salon/stylist experiences many of you have suffered. As a professional hair stylist, I believe I may be able to pinpoint the root causes of at least some of the problems. I'd like to use this thread as a guide to more positive salon/stylist experiences for all who seek to patronize them. Following are some of the issues I have seen mentioned on this forum.

Quality of salon/staff: There's a lot to be said for the type of salon some of you have patronized. Ladies, stop frequenting "trailer park," "ghetto" or "alley" salons. I define "ghetto/trailer park" more as a state of mind and behavior than an actual place. If wares are being sold by outside vendors, customers (and perhaps stylists) are eating a two-piece combo in the styling area, and/or stylists are holding long cell phone conversations while working, it's probably a "ghetto/tp" salon. The salon should be at least reasonably clean and orderly during the day and always clean first thing in the morning. If you do not receive courteous and professional service from the moment you make your appointment, proceed with caution. Keep in mind that it is possible that whomever booked your appointment is not indicative of the type of service you will receive at that establishment. But if you continue to get less than the standard of customer service you expect, be prepared to take your business elsewhere. This can be done at any step in the process, but by the time you get into the styling chair, you should have a good idea of how your visit will go.

Trims: The biggest problem with trims appears to be miscommunication. All too often, clients accuse stylists of cutting off too much hair. When asking for a trim, the first thing you should mention is your desire to grow your hair out. Be sure that the stylist understands exactly how much you want trimmed by asking him/her to show you on a styling comb the agreed upon amount to be cut. The styling comb is an all-purpose comb with one inch measurements that just about every stylist owns. They are sold in packs of twelve so your stylist should have at least one available. Also, if at all possible, measure off between your fingers the amount of hair you want cut. Or better yet, hold a section of hair between your fingers, indicating exactly how much hair should be cut. Stylists are very visual and that is often the best approach. After the first snip, ask your stylist to show you the amount of hair removed before he/she continues. A good stylist who wants to earn/retain your trust should be prepared to show you how much hair was removed. It's a good sign if, before getting started, the stylist repeats what she/he heard you say. Once you're comfortable that the stylist "gets it" you should be able to relax a bit, but still keep a watchful eye on the remainder of the trim. If a stylist suggests a trim, you have every right to decline and the stylist should respect your wishes.

Chemical Services: You should never seek out any chemical service the first couple of times you go to a new salon/stylist. It doesn"t matter how many recommendations you were given. I don't care if your sister gets her hair done there or you have an event to attend. Your first couple of visits should be a fact finding mission. Go only for a shampoo and set or some other simple service. While there, observe everything around you. Ask questions of the stylists, clients, receptionist, etc. If you see or hear anything "off" you"ll have a pretty good indicator of how they do business and if they care enough to really put their customers first. Pay attention to how they are servicing other clients, especially when it comes to chemical applications. Watch for signs of rough handling, overlapping, etc. Make sure that a thorough job is done rinsing and neutralizing the relaxer. If you see a relaxer customer return after less than 10-15 minutes at the shampoo bowl, you might want to leave and not return to that stylist. Neutralizing shampoo needs time to penetrate the hair's cuticle and that won't be accomplished in three minutes.

Stylists' Attitudes/Practices: Reputable stylists and salons will operate in such a way as to always put the customers first. They will do their best to honor your appointment on time or at least within a reasonable time frame, preferably not longer than 15 minutes. You should be greeted promptly and pleasantly. The stylists should be neat and clean with well-groomed hair. Their stations should be clean and orderly, tools sanitized and well-maintained, and no gossip should be taking place among them. When you visit a stylist for the first time, interview him/her. The main things you should ask:
Where did you attend school, or did you apprentice?
How long have you been licensed?
Do you attend hair shows and/or classes? How often?
How long have you been working here?

The answers to these questions will reveal plenty about that stylist's education, passion and dedication to his/her craft.

If you have a preference for something, such as no setting lotion for your roller set, let your stylist know. Your reasonable requests should be granted without any attitude, eye rolling, sighing or sermon about how long she/he has been a stylist and knows what's best for your hair. The business of doing hair is a two way street. Yes, the stylist has (or should have) the technical knowledge and experience, but you live with your hair everyday and can offer valuable insight about it to your stylist.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this helps. Please feel free to add to this thread your own experiences and suggestions.

Last edited:

Shalilac

Re: A Stylist's Guide to Better Salon Experiences (I hope) -- Kinda Long

Excellent post. Thanks for putting that out there. Can't think of anything else to add.

Blackbird77

Someone should make this a sticky because this is very good advice.

HoneyDew

Great post!

Very good read for me now because I am going to a Beauty First Salon tomorrow. I have not gotten my hair done by a stylists in SO SO long and I a a little nervous.

But, at the same time, I find that I am too busy to do my own hair these days and I need some help.

Your posts was just the thing I needed! :)

PaperClip

Helpful thread. I would kindly add under the Quality of Salon/Staff is the licensing/certification status of the salon and stylist(s). So, in case of an unfortunate incident, you have some recourse.

kitchen_tician

Great post! Thanks for the info! Balisi is a stylist that's very easy going. You can tell her exactly what you like or prefer with no problems. :up: It seems somewhat funny to feel so relaxed and at ease, because many stylists don't take suggestions well from clients. BTW Balisi, my hair is still straight from your flat iron. Tomorrow will make 2 weeks. :) Thanks!!!

Last edited:

WomanlyCharm

This is one of the best most informative posts I've read. We all need to remember and follow this...it will save alot of heartache and problems in the long run.
Thanks Balisi!
:)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Sounds good to me and if I were you I would put this and whatever else you think of in book form and try to do something w/it.

Soleado

balisi said:
Hi Ladies –

I’ve been doing plenty of thinking about the negative salon/stylist experiences many of you have suffered. As a professional hair stylist, I believe I may be able to pinpoint the root causes of at least some of the problems. I’d like to use this thread as a guide to more positive salon/stylist experiences for all who seek to patronize them. Following are some of the issues I have seen mentioned on this forum.

Quality of salon/staff: There’s a lot to be said for the type of salon some of you have patronized. Ladies, stop frequenting “ghetto” salons. I define ghetto more as a state of mind and behavior than an actual place. If wares are being sold by outside vendors, customers (and perhaps stylists) are eating a two-piece combo in the general styling area, and/or stylists are on their cell phones while working, it’s probably a ghetto salon. The salon should be at least reasonably clean and orderly. If you do not receive courteous and professional service from the moment you make your appointment, proceed with caution. Keep in mind that it is possible that whomever booked your appointment is not indicative of the type of service you will receive at that establishment. But if you continue to get less than the standard of customer service you expect, be prepared to take your business elsewhere. This can be done at any step in the process, but by the time you get into the styling chair, you should have a good idea of how your visit will go.

Trims: The biggest problem with trims appears to be miscommunication. All too often, clients accuse stylists of cutting off too much hair. When asking for a trim, the first thing you should mention is your desire to grow your hair out. Be sure that the stylist understands exactly how much you want trimmed by asking him/her to show you on a styling comb the agreed upon amount to be cut. The styling comb is a basic comb with one inch measurements that just about every stylist owns. They are sold in packs of twelve so your stylist should have at least one available. Also, if at all possible, measure off between your fingers the amount of hair you want cut. After the first snip, ask your stylist to show you the amount of hair removed before he/she continues. A good stylist who wants to earn/retain your trust should be prepared to show you how much hair was removed. It's a good sign if, before getting started, the stylist repeats what she/he heard you say. Once you’re comfortable that the stylist “gets it” you should be able to relax a bit, but still keep a watchful eye on the remainder of the trim. If a stylist suggests a trim, you have every right to decline and the stylist should respect your wishes.

Chemical Services: You should never seek out any chemical service the first couple of times you go to a new salon. It doesn’t matter how many recommendations you were given. Your first couple of visits should be a fact finding mission. Go only for a shampoo and set or some other simple service. While there, observe everything around you. Ask questions of the stylists, clients, receptionist, etc. If you see or hear anything “off” you’ll have a pretty good indicator of how they do business and if they care enough to really put their customers first. Pay attention to how they are servicing other clients, especially when it comes to chemical applications. Watch for signs of rough handling, overlapping, or worse. Make sure that a thorough job is done rinsing and neutralizing the relaxer.

Stylists’ Attitudes/Practices: Reputable stylists and salons will operate in such a way as to always put the customers first. They will do their best to honor your appointment within a reasonable time frame, preferably not longer than 15 minutes past. You should be greeted promptly and pleasantly. The stylists should be neat and clean with well-groomed hair. Their stations should be clean and orderly, tools sanitized and well-maintained, and no gossip should be taking place among them. When you visit a stylist for the first time, interview him/her. The main things you should ask:
Where did you attend school, or did you apprentice?
How long have you been licensed?
How ofen do you attend hair shows and/or classes?
How long have you been working here?

The answers to these questions will reveal plenty about that stylist's education, passion and dedication to his/her craft.

If you have a preference for something, such as no setting lotion for your roller set, let your stylist know. Your reasonable requests should be granted without any attitude, eye rolling, sighing or sermon about how long she/he has been a stylist and knows what’s best for your hair. The business of doing hair is a two way street. Yes, the stylist has (or should have) the technical knowledge and experience, but you live with your hair everyday and can offer valuable insight about it to your stylist.

That’s all I can think of for now. I hope this helps. Please feel free to add to this thread your own experiences.

I Totally agree with you regarding chemical services! When I was relaxed my litmus test was how well they were able to so a shampoo, blow-dry and style. If you flunked with that you were out!!! I did that for a view visits before I went in for a touch-up at all.

Ms_Twana

Balisi, thank you so much for the tips. I have a few disagreements though. See below:

balisi said:
Quality of salon/staff: Ladies, stop frequenting “ghetto” salons. I define ghetto more as a state of mind and behavior than an actual place. If wares are being sold by outside vendors, customers (and perhaps stylists) are eating a two-piece combo in the general styling area, and/or stylists are on their cell phones while working, it’s probably a ghetto salon. The salon should be at least reasonably clean and orderly.

This describes the salon that my stylist works out of. It is very clean and orderly, but people do eat in the general styling area (there isn't any other area to eat) and my stylist does answer her phone if someone calls her. She won't have a long conversation, but she answers it. I mention this to say, that even though these things are going on around the area, my stylist herself is an excellent stylist, with the exceptions below.

balisi said:
Trims: Be sure that the stylist understands exactly how much you want trimmed by asking him/her to show you on a styling comb the agreed upon amount to be cut. The styling comb is a basic comb with one inch measurements that just about every stylist owns.

This is one of the things I didn't like about my stylist. But when I think about it, I never actually told her how much I wanted cut.

ETA: Thank you for the tip about the styling comb!!!

balisi said:
Stylists’ Attitudes/Practices: They will do their best to honor your appointment within a reasonable time frame, preferably not longer than 15 minutes past.

Wow, I need to come to you for this alone. I spend hours at the salon. And there have been times that I have sat for a hour before my head was even touched. This is the only other thing I don't like about my stylist. But I put up with it because she is awesome in the subject that actually matters...me having healthy hair!!!

balisi said:
.......and no gossip should be taking place among them.

Okay, now that's taking the fun out of the salon experience. I am a professional. And I act as a professional during the week. I don't want to use my weekend time to unwind talking about world issues. :perplexed I wanna talk about Celebrity Gossip!!:grin:

Everything else was great!! I'm glad you posted this. Thanks!!

nadz

balisi said:
Chemical Services: You should never seek out any chemical service the first couple of times you go to a new salon. It doesn’t matter how many recommendations you were given. Your first couple of visits should be a fact finding mission. Go only for a shampoo and set or some other simple service. While there, observe everything around you. Ask questions of the stylists, clients, receptionist, etc. If you see or hear anything “off” you’ll have a pretty good indicator of how they do business and if they care enough to really put their customers first. Pay attention to how they are servicing other clients, especially when it comes to chemical applications. Watch for signs of rough handling, overlapping, or worse. Make sure that a thorough job is done rinsing and neutralizing the relaxer.

Oh thank you for this reminder. Right on time! :clap:

HoneyDew

Ms_Twana said:
Balisi, thank you so much for the tips. I have a few disagreements though. See below:

This describes the salon that my stylist works out of. It is very clean and orderly, but people do eat in the general styling area (there isn't any other area to eat) and my stylist does answer her phone if someone calls her. She won't have a long conversation, but she answers it. I mention this to say, that even though these things are going on around the area, my stylist herself is an excellent stylist, with the exceptions below.

This is one of the things I didn't like about my stylist. But when I think about it, I never actually told her how much I wanted cut.

ETA: Thank you for the tip about the styling comb!!!

Wow, I need to come to you for this alone. I spend hours at the salon. And there have been times that I have sat for a hour before my head was even touched. This is the only other thing I don't like about my stylist. But I put up with it because she is awesome in the subject that actually matters...me having healthy hair!!!

Okay, now that's taking the fun out of the salon experience. I am a professional. And I act as a professional during the week. I don't want to use my weekend time to unwind talking about world issues. :perplexed I wanna talk about Celebrity Gossip!!:grin:

Everything else was great!! I'm glad you posted this. Thanks!!

I think some phone answering is fine. I mean she has to run her business and deal with other things, but there is a limit.

I used to go to a braid shop where EVERY lady in there would be on the phone while standing over clients. And not just quick calls - those are fine - I am talking long drawn out calls where they were talking loud and everything.

Turned me off.

Then I went to a salon where they were gossiping about other stylists and clients and being ghetto. I was turned off. I remember the owner even commenting as I left, that she hopes the ladies did not scare me off - WELL THEY DID!

There are limits and some places just take it too far.

That is why I am going to go to places that are more professional to get my hair done.

sprungonhairboards

HoneyDew said:
I think some phone answering is fine. I mean she has to run her business and deal with other things, but there is a limit.

I used to go to a braid shop where EVERY lady in there would be on the phone while standing over clients. And not just quick calls - those are fine - I am talking long drawn out calls where they were talking loud and everything.

Turned me off.

Then I went to a salon where they were gossiping about other stylists and clients and being ghetto. I was turned off. I remember the owner even commenting as I left, that she hopes the ladies did not scare me off - WELL THEY DID!

That is why I am going to go to places that are more professional to get my hair done.

I agree. I don't want to hear about how sorry your man is and how he rocked your world last night or how jacked up the girls hair that just left was. I don't want you yelling at your babys daddy or venting about your babysitter in my ear while I'm getting my hair did. Yes did.

I've even had stylists eat WHILE they were doing my hair. Not just chips or snacks but full blown meals. Alternating between ox tails and the flat iron. And the more you go to the same stylist the more comfortable they get and think it's a free for all. I'm so glad I can do my own hair.

kally

Those are great ideas. I do nto go to a salon, but this would help me if I do. It is good to hear from a stylist stand point especially when it comes to the trims.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Thank you, Balisi! As one who searched until I found a stylist who was perfect for me, I know finding a great stylist can be extremely difficult with some trial and error...and I made a few errors along the way. :lol: Knowing what to look for helps tremendously.

This should be a Sticky! ;)

Ms_Twana

HoneyDew said:

Yeah, I feel you on that. I just didn't want people to take it too literally. Because, like I said, if you were a new client walking into that salon my stylist works at, you would have seen some of those things. And someone would miss out on a great stylist by judging solely on those things. And I mean some things are beyond stylists control (a specific location to eat).

balisi

It's good to see that you ladies find these suggestions helpful. There will be exceptions to some of the points I made, but in general, good salons should uphold these standards at the very least.

I can certainly understand clients eating in the salon, considering how eternal the wait can be, and most salons do not have a designated dining area for clients. Unfortunately, not everyone is diligent about properly disposing of their trash and the stylists are left to clean up after them. It happens often enough in the salon I work at. Clients typically don't bring food in, but they will bring in their beverages, newspapers, etc., and leave them laying around after they're done. Salons which serve light refreshments and snacks are a different story.

And stylists should NEVER eat at their stations. That is very unsanitary, potentially dangerous and extremely unprofessional. A state board inspector would have a field day with that one. I wouldn't want anyone chowing down while doing my hair.

Relaxer Rehab, thanks for pointing out the licensure issue. That is another important consideration. Always look for the stylist's/nail tech's/esthetician's license, which is usually posted at their station. If you don't see it, ask about it. The license should show the cosmetologist's status as "Active." At the very least, a state board issued work permit may be posted, which allows a stylist to practice cosmetology while his/her license is pending. These permits are issued for a certain time period.