Protein in The Ingredients Does Not Necessarily Mean It's A Protein Conditioner

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I think some are misunderstanding what a protein treatment is and are incorrectly "labeling" certain conditioners as protein treatments. (example: someone referred to ORS Replenishing as a protein conditioner--it isn't) A protein treatment is usually specifically called such or it may be called a reconstructor. There are a few other terms that are synonymous with "protein treatment."

Many of your moisturizing conditioners will contain protein. This is a GOOD thing. For the hair cannot hold the moisture in without sufficient protein.

I hope this will provide some clarity if anyone has been confused and I hope this will make choosing conditioners an easy and stress free task. :)

HoneyDew

Thanks for posting this Supergirl. I agree with you.

I started a thread a while back asking if there are ladies that DON'T use the harcore proteins. Some of the ladies were naming their protein treatments and some were just regular conditioners that had protein in them. I just could not compare them to Emergencee or Apohgee or other concentrated protein conditioners/treaments.

Healthb4Length

Oh thanks for this info! I didn't know, here I was thinking that all my "protein" conditioners were the deal. I've been noticing that my hair has been breaking despite doing all my weekly "protein" treatments, thanks for clarifying this. Now I may have to up the usage of my "hardcore" proteins to stop the breakage.

Sistaslick

I agree! :yep: Just about everything marketed for ethnic/textured hair contains some amount of protein. SG is right. The hair needs protein to accept moisture. Protein shores up the holes and weak spots along the cuticle- so if your hair is properly "proteinated" (is that even a word?:lol: ), it will be able to hold onto the moisture you give it much better. Patching up the "holes" is very important for moisture retention. :yep: To me, ORS replenishing pak is a light protein-based conditioner, not a treatment.

This is way I've always understood the conditioners vs. treatments/reconstructors thing-

There are conditioners with protein in them, with such low concentrations of proteins relative to moisturizers and humectants, that they give an overall moisturizing effect. Humecto and CON Nourishing conditioner are both conditioners that contain protein, but yield an overall moisturizing benefit. So, though they contain protein-- they are still considered moisturizing conditioners.

The next level would be protein-based or "protein rich" conditioners. These are regular conditioners that contain higher amounts of protein, relative to their moisturizing and humectant-like agents. These conditioners are generally more "surface-acting", contain larger protein molecules, and yield less dramatic results than “reconstructors. ” Protein-based conditioners rinse away/wear off easily in a few days/washes because they do not penetrate the cuticle layers deeply. LeKair Cholesterol, ORS Replenishing pak, and Mane N Tail come to mind for examples. Because their formulas do contain moisturizing/conditioning agents, a moisturizing conditioner may not need to be used afterward.

The final level would be the treatments/reconstructors. These contain the highest amounts of protein compared to moisturizing agents, and offer very little actual conditioning. The results of reconstructors are usually more dramatic and longer lasting than protein-based conditioners, because they tend to contain concentrated, smaller hydrolized proteins that can penetrate and bind to the cuticle layers a little more deeply. These also vary in protein concentration compared to one another, but as a whole tend to contain more protein than everyday protein-based conditioners. Aphogee 2 Min Keratin reconstructor is an example of a light end reconstructor, and of course the Treatment for Damaged hair is on the heavy end. Because their sole job is to "repair" and/or "reconstuct" these treatments don't offer much in the way of conditioning, and usually have to be followed by moisturizing conditioner.

The protein concentrations, size, and type are what separate the “treatments/reconstructors” from the regular protein-based conditioners, and other conditioners that contain protein but aren’t necessarily protein conditioners. Thats what I think anyway. :lol:

kitchen_tician

Thanks for posting this Supergirl, because I also noticed that some seemed confused. I was just to lazy to comment and explain, :look: but I'm glad you shed the light. Thanks Supergirl! You've done it again! Supergirl to the rescue!!! :grin:

Synthia

I see protein conditioners and protein treatments as two different things (and Supergirl ...do you see them as equivalents? You seem to use the terms interchangeably...)

To me, anything with an influence of protein over moisture, I consider a protein conditioner. I consider eggs a protein conditioner and would consider Ors a protein conditioner. I consider any soft protein a conditioner.

If it's med/heavy penetrating protein, I consider it a reconstructor/protein treatment.

So, to me people have been using the terms pretty correctly.

firecracker

There is a such thing as too much protein. If you add frequent heat application and inadequate moisture you can end up with thin breaking burned yellow ends. :ohwell:

MizaniMami

I think a lot of people here are sort of afraid of protein/protein overload. So they are kinda leary of conditioners with protein.

Sistaslick

Synthia said:
I see protein conditioners and protein treatments as two different things (and Supergirl ...do you see them as equivalents? You seem to use the terms interchangeably...)

To me, anything with an influence of protein over moisture, I consider a protein conditioner. I consider eggs a protein conditioner and would consider Ors a protein conditioner. I consider any soft protein a conditioner.

If it's med/heavy penetrating protein, I consider it a reconstructor/protein treatment.

this is what I was thinking too. You said it alot shorter though.:lol:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Synthia said:

Hmmm... never really thought about it. I usually use the term "protein treatment." I guess I would mean the same thing if I used the term "protein conditioner."

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
MissFallon said:
Is Motions CPR a protein treatment? I've been saying it is and using it as one...am I wrong?

For more clarity:

Is it a protein treatment?

Motions CPR--YES
Motions Moisture Silk Protein--YES
ORS Olive Oil--NO
Kenra Intensive Emollient--NO
Cholesterol Conditioners--NO
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair--YES (though the name says moisture)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair--YES*
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor--YES
Joico K-Pak--YES (not starred, but I'd consider this semi-hardcore)
ORS Mayo--NO
Dudley DRC--YES*
Ultra Sheen Duotex--YES*
Nexxus Keraphix--YES
Nexxus Emergencee--YES*
Dudley Cream Protein--YES

*=hardcore, though there are different levels of hardcority (like my word?) For example, a hardcore with keratin or animal protein is going to be stronger than one with collagen.

Notice that the one with the stars are all products that come in liquid form. They are so potent because they are straight protein (a few stabilizers and preservatives) with no creams and emollients to get in the way. The protein goes straight on your hair strand unobstructed by other ingredients.

Now, let's talk about what's really sad--I've used all of the above except 3! :D

Last edited:

jasmin

Supergirl said:
For more clarity:

Is it a protein treatment?

Motions CPR--YES
Motions Moisture Silk Protein--YES
ORS Olive Oil--NO
Kenra Intensive Emollient--NO
Cholesterol Conditioners--NO
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair--YES (though the name says moisture)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair--YES*
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor--YES
Joico K-Pak--YES (not starred, but I'd consider this semi-hardcore)
ORS Mayo--NO
Dudley DRC--YES*
Ultra Sheen Duotex--YES*
Nexxus Keraphix--YES
Nexxus Emergencee--YES*
Dudley Cream Protein--YES

*=hardcore, though there are different levels of hardcority (like my word?) For example, a hardcore with keratin or animal protein is going to be stronger than one with collagen.

Notice that the one with the stars are all products that come in liquid form. They are so potent because they are straight protein (a few stabilizers and preservatives) with no creams and emollients to get in the way. The protein goes straight on your hair strand unobstructed by other ingredients.

Now, let's talk about what's really sad--I've used all of the above except 3! :D

Silicon Mix has Keratin...is that a protein treatment? How about the Dumb Blonde Reconstructor?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
jasmin said:
Silicon Mix has Keratin...is that a protein treatment? How about the Dumb Blonde Reconstructor?

Dumb Blonde=YES (I need to get some of this, I really like this product!)

Silicon Mix, I'm not very familiar with it. If I had to guess, I'd say no. But tell me more about the product. If you can list the ingredients, that would be helpful.

jasmin

Okay when I get home I'll post the ingredients...unless someone else has them.

Love Dumb Blonde.

mstasha

Sistaslick said:
I agree! :yep: Just about everything marketed for ethnic/textured hair contains some amount of protein. SG is right. The hair needs protein to accept moisture. Protein shores up the holes and weak spots along the cuticle- so if your hair is properly "proteinated" (is that even a word?:lol: ), it will be able to hold onto the moisture you give it much better. Patching up the "holes" is very important for moisture retention. :yep: To me, ORS replenishing pak is a light protein-based conditioner, not a treatment.

This is way I've always understood the conditioners vs. treatments/reconstructors thing-

There are conditioners with protein in them, with such low concentrations of proteins relative to moisturizers and humectants, that they give an overall moisturizing effect. Humecto and CON Nourishing conditioner are both conditioners that contain protein, but yield an overall moisturizing benefit. So, though they contain protein-- they are still considered moisturizing conditioners.

The next level would be protein-based or "protein rich" conditioners. These are regular conditioners that contain higher amounts of protein, relative to their moisturizing and humectant-like agents. These conditioners are generally more "surface-acting", contain larger protein molecules, and yield less dramatic results than “reconstructors. ” Protein-based conditioners rinse away/wear off easily in a few days/washes because they do not penetrate the cuticle layers deeply. LeKair Cholesterol, ORS Replenishing pak, and Mane N Tail come to mind for examples. Because their formulas do contain moisturizing/conditioning agents, a moisturizing conditioner may not need to be used afterward.

The final level would be the treatments/reconstructors. These contain the highest amounts of protein compared to moisturizing agents, and offer very little actual conditioning. The results of reconstructors are usually more dramatic and longer lasting than protein-based conditioners, because they tend to contain concentrated, smaller hydrolized proteins that can penetrate and bind to the cuticle layers a little more deeply. These also vary in protein concentration compared to one another, but as a whole tend to contain more protein than everyday protein-based conditioners. Aphogee 2 Min Keratin reconstructor is an example of a light end reconstructor, and of course the Treatment for Damaged hair is on the heavy end. Because their sole job is to "repair" and/or "reconstuct" these treatments don't offer much in the way of conditioning, and usually have to be followed by moisturizing conditioner.

The protein concentrations, size, and type are what separate the “treatments/reconstructors” from the regular protein-based conditioners, and other conditioners that contain protein but aren’t necessarily protein conditioners. Thats what I think anyway. :lol:

Your information was very informative. I have been having a lot bad luck with protein's period. And I am learning that some don't mix. I stopped using everything but the treatments all together. This has convinced me to ease them back in.

Thanks;)

karezone

Motions Silk Protein is more moisturizing than a protein. Silk protein simply adds moisture. It doesn't really add strength to the hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
karezone said:
Motions Silk Protein is more moisturizing than a protein. Silk protein simply adds moisture. It doesn't really add strength to the hair.

This conditioner also contains collagen and silk protein is actually very strengthening. Silk fibers are known as one of the strongest fibers that exist. Luckily, silk protein doesn't make the hair brittle as some other strengthening proteins can.

PinkAngel

So, even though ORS Mayo says protein on the label (i think), it's not a protein cond/trmnt....does it only become protein when an egg is added to it? TIA

Faith

Supergirl said:
I think some are misunderstanding what a protein treatment is and are incorrectly "labeling" certain conditioners as protein treatments. (example: someone referred to ORS Replenishing as a protein conditioner--it isn't) A protein treatment is usually specifically called such or it may be called a reconstructor. There are a few other terms that are synonymous with "protein treatment."

Many of your moisturizing conditioners will contain protein. This is a GOOD thing. For the hair cannot hold the moisture in without sufficient protein.

I hope this will provide some clarity if anyone has been confused and I hope this will make choosing conditioners an easy and stress free task. :)
Good to know. So ORS RP is not a protein conditioner....nice.

So are GPB and QP Breakage Control Serum protein based conditioners or treatments? Thanks for the info ladies :)

Last edited: