Shorthaircareforum discussion board - Post #1

Shine-On

:grin:

Many of us have long, healthy hair goals but some of us are much further away than others. Please share your tips for maintaining healthy, growing short hair (growing being the key word).

My hair is ear length. I am having difficulty in the following areas:

Stretching relaxers
Exploring the method of texlaxing
Finding no-heat styles that are still "stylish",
Resisting the urge to trim hair to maintain style as it grows
Rollersetting without looking like a UFO landed on my head (I guess hair isn't long enough yet)

And the list goes on . . . Does anybody hear me? :perplexed

Last edited:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I hear you, Shine-On! :lol:

I can honestly say my hair has been almostevery length but bald, and short hair ain’t no picnic. For some reason, many people I encounter tell me that short hair is easier to care for. IMO, I couldn’t disagree more. It's a whole lot of work and frustration to me. My hair is still relatively short (kind of a flip length), but even that offers much more flexibility.

The way I got by when I had my 2-inch haircut were roller and rod sets, and they worked great. If your sets are not looking right, my guess is to try a different size roller appropriate for the length. Rollers and rods come in all sizes, even for very short lengths, and wet sets are a great way to go to avoid heat.

Now, I’ll be honest and say I hardly ever liked my hair as it was growing out. But it looked neat, and I grit my teeth and endured. The best style I did was cute rod set, finger-combed for volume, and stuck a silk flower behind my ear for interest. ;)

Just remember to keep your hair well moisturized as traditional protective styles are virtually impossible. And though it’s awkward growing short styles out, resist cutting your hair. Instead, baby your ends. The only other option I can think of that is successful for many during the grow-out phase are braids or a weave maybe. Personally, my scalp could never tolerate extensions for some reason. :perplexed :ohwell: However, if extensions were a viable option, I would have took it. :yep:

HTH!

Mom23

[
The way I got by when I had my 2-inch haircut were roller and rod sets, and they worked great. If your sets are not looking right, my guess is to try a different size roller appropriate for the length. Rollers and rods come in all sizes, even for very short lengths, and wet sets are a great way to go to avoid heat. [/quote]

I agree. I started setting my hair on the small green rollers with the covers and I am working my way up. My hair is not long, but it is growing. I just did rollersets, twist outs, and braid outs as it grew and I still do. :lol:
Hope this helps!!

Renaylor

I have all but given up growing my hair real long because everytime I got to shoulder length, even with a good cut somehow it made me look old. I also kept pulling my hair back in a low ponytail , which of course reeked havoc on my nape and hairline. I have had mid length(down to mid neck) for 5 years until a couple of months ago when I chopped it to an ear length graduated bob(which I sported 10 yrs ago). I had no choice but to do it because my nape was gradually becoming invisible and my hair weak with a breaking hairline. To add, my hair is texlaxed(relaxed at about 65%) but my carelessness lead to my present hair condition.I have gotten compliments on this cut, something I never got when my hair was longer. Also shorter hair is easier to maintain,requires less product,and takes me no time to style(I have 2 children to tend to in the morning:)). As for not trimming the ends and allowing the hair to grow by protecting the ends...that my work for some, but for me if I don't get a mild trim after relaxing my hair, my hair does not perform well or hold a style properly.I have regained some of my hair health back but I sincerely doubt I will grow it out again but if I do the transition to a straight bob is an easy one from a graduated bob.

BamaBelle

I'm really feeling this thread. Thanks Shine-on for your bravery - It's often difficult for me to post questions/topics related to short hair (i.e. twa, etc.) since so many sisters here (on LHCF) have hair so much longer than mine but I present my questions to them because I figure maybe they will understand my plight through the progress they have made, from whence they came.

At any rate, my difficulty at this point is describing my hair's level of texture (am I relaxed, textlaxed, texturized...). My aim after having the twa for about 4 months was to slightly relax the hair so that I could better manage the stuff. Self-texturizing did not do it. I finally just went to my Dominican stylist (who nearly passed out when I walked in with the 2-inch poof) and had her apply an Affirm for a little over 10 minutes. What resulted was "texturized" hair like you see on the texturizer box. As that has grown out, and I have gotten the courage to touch-up on my own, the texturized "poof" is bigger and less attractive to me so I'm considering allowing the relaxer to stay on the hair a bit longer the next time I touch-up (probably tonight, actually).

I've got a linen closet shelf full of products and don't feel like my hair is really as long as it could have been had I cut and relaxed differently (Ambitious1018, my hair partner, BC'd at the same time I did and her hair is waaay longer). So now, I'm wrapping my head around this protective style idea and the fact is people consider the twa to be a protective style when I worry that my ends are exposed all the time. How's that protective?

*sigh* Sorry for my rant... But I figured this (sub)group would understand... Thanks again, Shine-On, for this thread!

Last edited:

ayoung

I feel you guys!

I think you have to just find what works for YOU. When I first joined I was tryingto do everything others were doing (w/ long hair) and my hair was like:nono:

Long or short---but moreso short---you may have to 'do' your hair more than others who just put it in a bun--unless you like it flat. Carusos are really good for curling or doobies instead of the irons. Also wrapping--just switch it up a little. And sets. Don't forget braids or cornrolls too for a change!

Keep your hair moisturized and strong and don't fry it(a lot) and you'll be on your way.:)

Sometimes it seems like your are making no progress---but everyother month or so I am sure you will see some growth from babying your hair.

**shoot, I'm encourgaing myself right along w/ ya'll---**HHG!

SweetCaramel1

i agree with ayoung. find what works for you.

i grew out my halle berry cut with wraps and rollersets which are extremely boring but i never got tired of them :lol: i hardly ever used heat but then i didn't stretch my relaxers either.

i must admit stretching takes some getting used to and the shorter the hair the more difficult it is. maybe your can add a week or two to your stretch the longer your hair gets.

for the stylish no heat styles have you tried bantu knots, twists outs and/or braid outs? i think these styles are so cute plus they last for a week and allow for minimum/no combing? another advantage is you won't have to worry about those ends.

i really don't know much about texlaxing so i can't offer any advise on that but i do hope that you find the right combo for you.

Last edited:

Shine-On

Legend said:
I hear you, Shine-On! :lol:

I can honestly say my hair has been almostevery length but bald, and short hair ain’t no picnic. For some reason, many people I encounter tell me that short hair is easier to care for. IMO, I couldn’t disagree more. It's a whole lot of work and frustration to me. My hair is still relatively short (kind of a flip length), but even that offers much more flexibility.

The way I got by when I had my 2-inch haircut were roller and rod sets, and they worked great. If your sets are not looking right, my guess is to try a different size roller appropriate for the length. Rollers and rods come in all sizes, even for very short lengths, and wet sets are a great way to go to avoid heat.

Now, I’ll be honest and say I hardly ever liked my hair as it was growing out. But it looked neat, and I grit my teeth and endured. The best style I did was cute rod set, finger-combed for volume, and stuck a silk flower behind my ear for interest. ;)

Just remember to keep your hair well moisturized as traditional protective styles are virtually impossible. And though it’s awkward growing short styles out, resist cutting your hair. Instead, baby your ends. The only other option I can think of that is successful for many during the grow-out phase are braids or a weave maybe. Personally, my scalp could never tolerate extensions for some reason. :perplexed :ohwell: However, if extensions were a viable option, I would have took it. :yep:

HTH!

Thanks for responding. Well, braids and weaves are out of the question for me. My scalp would never forgive me. I will definitely experiment with rod sets and post pics to see what you all think. I agree with you. Short hair is extremely difficult to care for. There is no where to run to and no where to hide if it doesn't lay just right. It was humid the other day making my UFO rollerset even bigger and higher :eek: . I reached for a hat (which saved me in the days when my hair was a little longer) but quickly changed my mind when I looked in the mirror. My nape is cut low and I couldn't bring myself to walk out the house looking like Steve (a man). I changed my plans and stayed in for the rest of the night.

Shine-On

Renaylor said:
I have all but given up growing my hair real long because everytime I got to shoulder length, even with a good cut somehow it made me look old. I also kept pulling my hair back in a low ponytail , which of course reeked havoc on my nape and hairline. I have had mid length(down to mid neck) for 5 years until a couple of months ago when I chopped it to an ear length graduated bob(which I sported 10 yrs ago). I had no choice but to do it because my nape was gradually becoming invisible and my hair weak with a breaking hairline. To add, my hair is texlaxed(relaxed at about 65%) but my carelessness lead to my present hair condition.I have gotten compliments on this cut, something I never got when my hair was longer. Also shorter hair is easier to maintain,requires less product,and takes me no time to style(I have 2 children to tend to in the morning:)). As for not trimming the ends and allowing the hair to grow by protecting the ends...that my work for some, but for me if I don't get a mild trim after relaxing my hair, my hair does not perform well or hold a style properly.I have regained some of my hair health back but I sincerely doubt I will grow it out again but if I do the transition to a straight bob is an easy one from a graduated bob.

I'm sure your hair is cute. A bob is a nice style and I love blunt cuts. My hair isn't there yet (I don't think).

Shine-On

BamaBelle,
I would love to texlax (sp?) my hair but can you imagine what texurized roots with straight ends would look like on five inch hair :eek:. I think a TWA is considered a protective style b/c it isn't rubbing against your clothes but I understand what you mean about your ends being exposed. You just can't win, right? I SO FEEL YOU!!! Let me know what you decide to do tonight. If you relax, how will you style it?

JazzyDez

Shine-On said:
Thanks for responding. Well, braids and weaves are out of the question for me. My scalp would never forgive me. I will definitely experiment with rod sets and post pics to see what you all think. I agree with you. Short hair is extremely difficult to care for. There is no where to run to and no where to hide if it doesn't lay just right. It was humid the other day making my UFO rollerset even bigger and higher :eek: . I reached for a hat (which saved me in the days when my hair was a little longer) but quickly changed my mind when I looked in the mirror. My nape is cut low and I couldn't bring myself to walk out the house looking like Steve (a man). I changed my plans and stayed in for the rest of the night.

Have you considered a cute wig or 1/2 wig? Its good to keep those around for "emergencies"....so you dont have to stay inside because you dont like the way your hair looks. Or maybe even rod sets/braid outs/twistouts in the back with cornrows/flat twists in the front?

Shine-On

ayoung1981,
Thanks for the advise about not frying my hair and doing what everyone else does *shoves ceramic flat iron and closet of products under bed* Your encouragement is much appreciated :D

hopeful

Well nothing much to say except thanks for starting this thread. I have never had really long hair. As a child it was close to shoulder length, but since relaxing for forever it never went past neck-length and whenever it got that long it broke off. So I'm natural and dreaming of long, natural hair. I have been pursuing long hair for what seems like my entire life. I have succeeded pretty much at everything I have ever pursued or wanted badly. Sometimes I find it embarrassing that I have never been a success at this hair thing, in my weak moments I wonder if my dream will ever be realized. However, most days I am optimistic that I will achieve my goal of long hair, going natural was a big step.

Shine-On

JazzyDez,
That's actually a good idea. A 1/2 wig would be perfect because it won't mess with my scalp (hopefully).

I think I'm going to give up on relaxer streching until my hair grows a little longer. It seems to be causing more harm than good. For styles, I've been obsessing over Halle Berry's pics as there are numerous ones at different stages of her hair growth. How to achieve the styles without heat will be the challenge but I'm up for it. I'd love to go into hiding until my hair rewards me for my hard work but unfortunately, disability pay only lasts but so long. Bra-strap for me is 2+ years away, I'm determined to enjoy the hair I'm in now (without damage of course).

Shine-On

Hopeful,
I have never even had full shoulder length hair in all my years of existence :ohwell: . 1/2 inch per month over 26 years and not much to show for it. My hair has literally been going down the drain. It was more important to me to have stylish false hair (at the expense of my scalp's health) than to grow and manage my own. I recently cut it to approx five inches at it's longest and I'm hoping that this is the start of something wonderful. I am dreaming too not because I want to be something I'm not but because I'd like to see my full potential. We'll get there, hon and shock ourselves :grin:.

hopeful

Thanks Shine-on:kiss:, sometimes you don't realize that you feel a little isolated or a bit overwhelmed until someone brings up the subject. You know this website has helped me so much with advice and given me a reality to aspire to but sometimes I do feel out of place so it's nice to know I'm not alone. I just think the minute I get past neck length that bit of doubt in my mind will melt away.

Ambitious1013

Great thread!! It is always great to hear from other ladies that have short hair similar to mine. I still have a lot to learn so I would love for everyone to continue to share.

It is true that you have to be creative and have patience when it comes to growing out short hair. I switch my protective styles between rollersetting, wrapping, or wearing a bun. Doing these styles help me avoid heat and it has truly helped my hair. These styles help me stretch my relaxers too. Right now I am at week 11 and I will be getting my relaxer on Friday. :D

This site has given me so much support and encouragment. It has truly helped me with my healthy hair care journey.

FeelinIt

My problem is:

Thinning ends
Hair not falling right.

It just looks stupid. I HATE short hair! I'm right back to where I was in September of last year due to horrible ends. I feel like I will never get to bra strap.

I just want my hair at its current length (neck) to fall right and it just looks....ugh!

I'm tired of it and may just hook myself up with a sew in and keep movin.

Last edited:

TeeKay21

Hi everyone. I am new to posting but I have been lurking for a while. This was just the post make me take the plunge and join, cause I just HAD to get in on this thread!:D

Feelin It, I am feelin you. I just started my hair journey in April and I am getting frustrated because I can't stretch relaxers like everyone else since my KITCHEN is exposed:lol: ! It is the thickest, most corse area of my head and I just have to relax it or it starts to break (found that out this week at 7 weeks post:( )

Also, like someone else said, we have to use other methods than the bun or ponytail if our hair won't lay right. I do have a wig and some quick weave, but I just hate it when I want MY hair to be a certain way and now I have to put up with a hot "hair mask" instead:wallbash:. I wore braids and weaves for a year and a half and "I just want to be free!".

No heat hasn't really been a problem for me except that kitchen area makes me want to fry it (but I havn't). I try to slick it down with moisturizer, but that isn't working now that I am at 7 weeks. I wish I didn't have to relax so often, but that just makes me want to take even better care of it so it can grow faster and COVER UP THAT KITCHEN!!:lol:

Okay, my semi-rant is over. That felt good to get it off my chest! Thanx Shine On!!:)

PrincessDiva

Girl , everyone is not meant to have long hair...A lady i work with(she`s in her late 50`s) looked at least 15 years younger after she got a short sassy cut..Short hair always seemed to make my head & face look BIG....lol..Thank goodness I have never have much problem growing long hair..I`d look like ET if I had short hair

bluediamond0829

i have to chime in ever since i cut my hair short i have been MIA when it comes to coming into the hair thread because most of the content relates more towards growing hair long...and i dont want to put so much product in my hair...and if i could wash and condition(which i have tried but i dont know how to curl :( ) or afford to at least go to my hair stylist every week then i would...i was just the other day trying to figure out how i can get my hair to be more not so dry looking and laydown in the back because i have a tapered short look...my aunts hair is the same she has a beautfiul short haircut and has been working it for the past 5 years....i think it maybe the alcohol in the hair gel thats making my hair dry....but like someone mentioned everyone is not made to have short hair...it took me a year to realize tht after wasting tons of $$$$...and this may just be something im going thru with the short hair...but ive been getting alot of compliments with having my short do...and yes it is very hard to stretch relaxers because of the fact that in order for myself and maybe other short hair ladies that do relax we have to at least relax more often or our curls wont hold up or our hair wont lay right...i just relaxed the back of my hair just so it could lay down minus the brown gel...and i just had a relaxer like 2 weeks ago....

Shine-On

For the tapered ladies like myself, I found that relaxing in sections seems to work. I am planning on relaxing most of my head every 6-8 weeks and the parts I want to lay down (mainly the back) more often. I figure the overprocessing won't matter much as these areas will be trimmed often, at least until the top covers them up.

I found some short hair pics that will help us feel beautiful as we progress (plus they seem to be low maintenance):

Last edited:

HoneyDew

bluediamond0829 said:
i have to chime in ever since i cut my hair short i have been MIA when it comes to coming into the hair thread because most of the content relates more towards growing hair long...and i dont want to put so much product in my hair...and if i could wash and condition(which i have tried but i dont know how to curl :( ) or afford to at least go to my hair stylist every week then i would...i was just the other day trying to figure out how i can get my hair to be more not so dry looking and laydown in the back because i have a tapered short look...my aunts hair is the same she has a beautfiul short haircut and has been working it for the past 5 years....i think it maybe the alcohol in the hair gel thats making my hair dry....but like someone mentioned everyone is not made to have short hair...it took me a year to realize tht after wasting tons of $$$$...and this may just be something im going thru with the short hair...but ive been getting alot of compliments with having my short do...and yes it is very hard to stretch relaxers because of the fact that in order for myself and maybe other short hair ladies that do relax we have to at least relax more often or our curls wont hold up or our hair wont lay right...i just relaxed the back of my hair just so it could lay down minus the brown gel...and i just had a relaxer like 2 weeks ago....

I agree it is harder to strtch relaxers with shorter hair.

HoneyDew

Shine-On said:
For the tapered ladies like myself, I found that relaxing in sections seems to work. I am planning on relaxing most of my head every 6-8 weeks and the parts I want to lay down (mainly the back) more often. I figure the overprocessing won't matter much as these areas will be trimmed often, at least until the top covers them up.

I found some short hair pics that will help us feel beautiful as we progress (plus they seem to be low maintenance):

Shine-On, I always wear my hair the way it is in the 2nd and 3rd pics. I can just moisturize and tie my hair up.

It just gets harder when it is time for a touchup.

Cooyah

i feel you shine on, the longest my hair ever was i think was shoulder length in grade 3-4 or 5, i'm tired of short damaged hair, and i'm taking control dammit, we can do it. i'm going to use sew ins for the first time (i'm normally a braid or twists person) this year to help me leave my hair the heck alone. little heat, slight manipulation and easy styling

JazzyDez

TeeKay21 said:
Hi everyone. I am new to posting but I have been lurking for a while. This was just the post make me take the plunge and join, cause I just HAD to get in on this thread!:D

Feelin It, I am feelin you. I just started my hair journey in April and I am getting frustrated because I can't stretch relaxers like everyone else since my KITCHEN is exposed:lol: ! It is the thickest, most corse area of my head and I just have to relax it or it starts to break (found that out this week at 7 weeks post:( )

Also, like someone else said, we have to use other methods than the bun or ponytail if our hair won't lay right. I do have a wig and some quick weave, but I just hate it when I want MY hair to be a certain way and now I have to put up with a hot "hair mask" instead:wallbash:. I wore braids and weaves for a year and a half and "I just want to be free!".

No heat hasn't really been a problem for me except that kitchen area makes me want to fry it (but I havn't). I try to slick it down with moisturizer, but that isn't working now that I am at 7 weeks. I wish I didn't have to relax so often, but that just makes me want to take even better care of it so it can grow faster and COVER UP THAT KITCHEN!!:lol:

Okay, my semi-rant is over. That felt good to get it off my chest! Thanx Shine On!!:)

Have you considered only relaxing the kitchen area and not the rest of your head between relaxer stretching?

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
JazzyDez said:
Have you considered only relaxing the kitchen area and not the rest of your head between relaxer stretching?

This actually might not be a bad idea. I used to do partial relaxing ("area perm" it's sometimes called) around my edges to keep them smooth but left the rest of my hair alone. Just one thing you must be careful of is when you have a touch-up on the areas you've stretched to avoid overlapping. It's usually good to have someone help to apply the relaxer as they can better see where it needs to go. I used to have my sister or mother do this for me. HTH!