Pre Poo'ing vs Deep Con. vs Co-washing?

Which of these 3 do you get Optimal Results?

• Pre 'pooing

Votes: 94 12.3%
  • Deep Conditioning

Votes: 417 54.7%
  • Co-Washing

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 120 15.7%

• Total voters

sunshyne_krissy

Which of the three do you get the most optimal results? As for me It's most def. Co-washing once a week.

MY Co-wash regimen:

Once a week: Mix half bottle of VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie Cond. w/ too med. squirts of Pantene R&N Cond. 1 squirts of NTM, 2 TBSP. honey, and 2 cap fulls of castor oil, one squirt of jojoba oil, 2 caps of EVOO, and two small squirts of NExuss Humectress Cond. mix until my arm hurts.. Add two TSP. of MSM warmed and mixed in 1/4c. spring water and 20 drops of Eucaliptus Oil. Then its ready! Smoothe/pour over wet braids in the shower and squeeze/mush it in roll up into a mushy bun on top of my head (then i shower while its workin its magic) then bucket large amounts of water over it to rinse. The end results in extra soft hair and fresh braids.

Then I spray with my homemade MTG concoction to seal in the moisture. :D

Last edited:

filthyfresh

Pre-pooing doesn't help me too much. However, CW and DC helps me immensely. Although I may start adding some EO to my CW in order to help me along.

caribeandiva

Human being
i don't pre-poo or do conditioner washes. i don't see the point! i do regular shampoo and deep conditioning twice a week and that gets me great results!!

Victorian

old head
I do all three! :lol: I co-wash 6 days a week, and on my shampoo day I will either pre-poo or deep condition, depending on what I feel like doing. But I think con washing is the most important thing I do :yep:

MizaniMami

I do all three. I love each equally though. But I marked DC because I think this is essential is my routine. The others I can get away without doing.

But co-washing makes my hair so soft and so does pre-pooing.

Cichelle

Co-washing, without a doubt. I do it every day and it has been very good for my hair. Pre-pooing doesn't do much for me. Deep conditioning is good, but I do it rarely.

wadadligyal

Co washing is a must in order for me to stretch relaxers!!!!!!!
Deep conditioning helps also!!!!
I don't pre poo often enough to draw a conclusion on this technique but I've heard other rave about it!!!!!!

tenderheaded

Not sure. CW makes my hair unbelievably soft. Deep conditioning gives me strength and softness. I can always tell when I don't pre-poo - my hair has a different feel. For great hair I like them all:grin:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I pre-poo'd with some cheap conditioner mixed with coconut oil for the first time yesterday then I poo'd and dc w/MNT...... I really like the results....I think I will be adding this to my regimen. :yep:

amy1234

I think deep conditioning works best for me. I may con-wash every once in a while when I am lazy with my hair or want to give it a break from the heat.

Miss*Tress

I voted for pre-poo because it's the only thing that gets my ends really soft, however I use all three techniques once a week.

BrownBetty

I vote deep condition.

If I pre poo with protein (Keraphix) and then clarify (poo) would I wash away all the protein?

beana

I voted Deep conditioning since i rarely prepoo (like 3x'a year :shocked:). CW washes just add build up and do not fit into my hair routine. In the summer, if my scalp feels too yucky in between washes I rinse my hair, use a cheap conditioner to comb through, style it with oil and serum then fix in a low braid... i dont do this often because I don't like dealing with airdried hair (aside from rollersets) .. but i dont think that benefits my hair in any noticeable way

Last edited:

MizaniMami

MissVee said:
I vote deep condition.

If I pre poo with protein (Keraphix) and then clarify (poo) would I wash away all the protein?

Personally I think so. Before I clarify, I never pre-poo, I feel like it defeats the purpose.

You could clarify, then co-wash with watered down keraphix, Then proceed to deep conditioner.

sunshyne_krissy

bonedacious99 said:
I'm also confused. What's the difference between pre-poo and deep conditioning?

Some people call hot oil treatments pre- poo..:confused: But to me its basically a concoction of usually oil or conditioner (or both) that you lather on to dry hair and let it sit a few minutes up to 1 day before you shampoo. For me its just EVOO a few hours before I get ready to 'poo but NOT on my braids...only when my hair is out of braids. Tried it with braids and... :lachen:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
MissVee said:
I vote deep condition.

When I clarify, I don't pre-poo only because when you clarify you are looking for that deep down clean. So IMO I think it may be a waste of product.

Divine Inspiration

I just started being consistent with pre-pooing and I definitely like the ease it's afforded me with detangling. I've also noticed that my hair is shinier and more pliable.

However, deep conditioning takes the cake. It's a must in my regimen in order to keep my hair healthy and thick. I will NOT skip DCing under any condition...

CO washes are great for stretching/transitioning. My only hangup with them is the additional manipulation if I do one mid-week. Nevertheless, they're great for keeping new growth soft and manageable.

nelli711

Deep conditioning all the way for me. I felt that pre-poo'ing didn't make a difference in my hair. I've tried co-washing but I wasn't consistent with it to come to a real conclusion about if it benefited me or not.

Victory1

I like all 3, but never skip deep conditioning on my shampoo days (which is every Saturday). I now pre-poo with a protein conditioner on dry hair with a heat cap for at least 30 minutes (Bone Marrow, GPB, ORS Mayo, or Lekair Cholesterol Plus), then I shampoo (Elucene, Sebastion, Nioxin, or CON), and last I use a moiturizing conditioner for my deep condition (Elucene, Sebastian, or Nioxin). My hair loves it! I skip the pre-poo step when I'm clarifying, then I use the protein conditioner, follow by the moisterizing conditioner. I only Co-wash on the 4th week after a relaxer (every Tuesday & Thursday night); I get a relaxer every 8 to 10 weeks.