Mixing Relaxers with Oil or Conditioner

africa

Do any of you ladies mix your relaxer with conditioner or oil? I am thinking of doing this for my next texturizer touch-up.

If so, how much of each do you mix, and does it impact your touch-up results?

thanks in advance,
Africa

FlyyGyrl

I tried this my last touch-up. I had good results (used olive oil). I really didn't measure how much oil I put in. I just kinda guessed. My hair came out very silky and it did not burn as fast as it usually does.

tallygirl

I mixed EVOO with my last relaxer and the results were amazing. Sorry, I really don't know how much oil I added because I didn't measure it......

Mahalialee4

I heard about this on one of the old sites back in 99 and some claimed they got better results with less breakage, brittleness etc. bonjour

marygrove013

Has anyone tried EVOO with the Phyto relaxer....I plan to do a touch up this weekend & I'm just curious....Thanks for your help in advance....

virgo_chinwe

marygrove013 said:
Has anyone tried EVOO with the Phyto relaxer....I plan to do a touch up this weekend & I'm just curious....Thanks for your help in advance....

bump..i would like to know as well!! Thanks in advance!

zoj2

virgo_chinwe said:
bump..i would like to know as well!! Thanks in advance!

Oooo I wanna know this too. I still have some index II and I want to slow down how fast it processes.

KEIONI'S MOM

Hi Africa :) -

I add baby oil to my relaxers every time I TU. My hair always come out the way that I want it and like a few of the other ladies have stated it doesn't burn as quickly. I think that I will try EVOO next time but I will always add a little oil to my relaxers. HTH

Sistaslick

chocolatesis said:
:) I always thought the oil would keep the relaxer from penetrating and therefore it wouldn't work as well. Is this wrong? :confused:

The relaxer still penetrates, it just takes a little longer. I've done this faithfully since I started self relaxing to buy myself some extra application time-- and to make the formula a bit milder than before.:) I add about 1/4 cup of almond oil to my Mizani-- and it works beautifully. :yep:

devin

would adding oil to a larger container ruin the rest of the relaxer for future use? should i just take out the amount i think i will use for the particular time i am relaxing and add the oil to that instead of the whole container?

Sistaslick said:
The relaxer still penetrates, it just takes a little longer. I've done this faithfully since I started self relaxing to buy myself some extra application time-- and to make the formula a bit milder than before.:) I add about 1/4 cup of almond oil to my Mizani-- and it works beautifully. :yep:

Thank you so much for answering my question Sistaslick :) . It sounds like a good idea and I was thinking of doing this the next time I do my touchup (I was also thinking of switching to Mizani) ;) . How long do you leave the relaxer in? Do you think I should leave the relaxer in for like 5 extra minutes than I normally do?

Denim And Leather

shawniegee said:
I add two tablespoons of EVOO to my relaxers, with great results.

After adding EVOO to the relaxer mix, how long do you leave the relaxer on? Longer than you normally would, or the same time as if you didn't add any EVOO?

Sistaslick

devin said:
would adding oil to a larger container ruin the rest of the relaxer for future use? should i just take out the amount i think i will use for the particular time i am relaxing and add the oil to that instead of the whole container?

I don't think it would ruin the relaxer, but just to keep it on the safe side I'd only add it to the amount of relaxer I'm planning to use at the time. I use the minitubs-- (7-9 oz if I am not mistaken) and add 1/4 cup to that.

Sistaslick

chocolatesis said:
Thank you so much for answering my question Sistaslick :) . It sounds like a good idea and I was thinking of doing this the next time I do my touchup (I was also thinking of switching to Mizani) ;) . How long do you leave the relaxer in? Do you think I should leave the relaxer in for like 5 extra minutes than I normally do?

This is almost a year late. :lachen: I'm sure you've done whatever it was by now. :rofl: I leave my relaxer in anywhere from 12-14 mins, sometimes a little longer. I don't relax bone straight, so the oil allows me to still relax within the recommended relaxer time for straightness and then upwards of 5-10 min extra without going bone straight. If you wanted a straighter turnout, you'd need to leave it on longer or decrease the amount of oil.

Sistaslick

Kristal said:
Do you think its ok to add oils to vitale relaxer?

You can add oil to any relaxer. Mixing it in the tub is really almost similar to basing your hair. It simply impedes the penetration of the relaxer for sometime--- either giving you a slightly textured turnout when rinsed out at the normal processing time, or simply buying you more time for applying the relaxer yourself if going bonestraight, or textured.

Andreainnis

Sooo I'm guessing no one knows about adding oil to Phyto?:look: I really wanna know:scratchch ... somebody ... anybody:confused:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Ohhh I will have to try this with my Elasta QP Relaxer. I think I will use the EVOO to mix it in with.

alexstin

Last edited: