anthony dickey method

Lilmama1011

Last edited:

angelhairtype4

Haven't people already been doing this...

Eta: Just watched the video. The man has very good information about natural hair. Although they are things I already know. I hope more stylist like him keep making strides in the industry.

Last edited:

faithVA

Re: andrew dickey method

I only made it to the 5 minute mark before the video crashed. I like that he is giving his complete process with details. He addresses some details that newbies have to work through. I think this can be very helpful to some just starting out or anyone that still has challenges.

If I was in NY I would go so he could help me work through this mane of mine. I can't figure out how to get conditioner through this mane of mine :lol: I can't even get water to soak into my hair in 10 minutes.

Definitely agree with not drying your hair out with cleansers. My hair has been so much better since I changed what I cleanse my hair with.

*Frisky*

I saw this a few months ago and I am kinda wondering what about this makes this "his" method? Is it the rinsing after you apply your styler?

faithVA

^^I don't think anything is meant by "his" method. Its just another way of saying this is his philosophy of how to do hair. So from the beginning to the end is "his" method. It doesn't mean that someone else doesn't do it, it just means that is the way he does it.

faithVA

I wonder if my hair would really detangle this way

I have found that when I don't dry my hair out with shampoo and I use the right conditioner my hair does detangle that easy. However, I do find that depending on what I style with can cause an issue with cleansing. If the first step isn't right, I can't get the conditioner to compensate. I've not mastered the whole process enough to repeat.

faithVA

I tried this product at the beginning of my hair journey. I didn't know what I was doing but I couldn't get it to work for me. Looking at the ingredients I probably still wouldn't buy it. But her hair did look much better when he finished.

I am going to try his suggestions with saturating my hair more with product.

tru4reele

I tried this product at the beginning of my hair journey. I didn't know what I was doing but I couldn't get it to work for me. Looking at the ingredients I probably still wouldn't buy it. But her hair did look much better when he finished. I am going to try his suggestions with saturating my hair more with product.

I just don't like all that product in my hair. I don't see how people put handfuls and handfuls of Eco in their hair. I tend to shy away from wash n gos because of the tangling and ssk's.

faithVA

I just don't like all that product in my hair. I don't see how people put handfuls and handfuls of Eco in their hair. I tend to shy away from wash n gos because of the tangling and ssk's.

I think he used a cream and it didn't look like that much. He did say use whatever product works for you. But he also didn't put anything else in her hair, just the one product so it had to be enough to hold and moisturize.

You also don't have to do WNGs. For kinky hair on his website he mentions other styles.

Snuckles

Everything looked cool until he pulled out the blowdryer . . . wished he showed other ways of stretching the hair without the heat.

bronzephoenix

I totally do this with my hair. Sans blowdryer.
And I agree, it's technique > product. My curls have done a 180 since I began co-washing daily, finger detangling and applying product in the shower to sopping wet hair. My wash N go's used to end in ssk's. No longer an issue. The key is truly coating your hair, not disrupting the curl pattern after conditioning (I.e- combing/brushing) and not trying to go several days before co-washing again (hair tightens as it dries out/frizzes & leads to knots).

I don't like gunky hair; I layer KCKT beneath EVOO beneath flaxseed gel. Touchable, has movement, volume & definition. Non-sticky, non-greasy, and co-washes clean. I think more women would be pleasantly surprised by their hair after trying this method.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen

I like that he was liberal with product and only used his hands/fingers. He wasn't stingy with product like the lady that did Taren's hair.

lux10023

i went to his salon about two months ago--yoshi did my hair---she gave me one of the best detangling I've had very gentle she used all of his products and my hair felt soft and greattt...

yoshi used a lot of product and gently finger combed and detangled damn near every strand of my hair...they are very thorough in that salon

i was originally booked with him but he was making me wait longer than i had the time..anyhoo--he has an interesting personality but overall good exp at his salon...

they know what their doin in that salon and he is veryyy all about natural hair..he asked me a zillion hair questions lol a zillion!

Last edited:

LivingInPeace

I'm intrigued by his liberal use of product. I think I'll try it tomorrow. I don't have his products so I'll use my Jane Carter Curl Defining Cream.

charmtreese

i went to his salon about two months ago--yoshi did my hair---she gave me one of the best detangling I've had very gentle she used all of his products and my hair felt soft and greattt...

yoshi used a lot of product and gently finger combed and detangled damn near every strand of my hair...they are very thorough in that salon

i was originally booked with him but he was making me wait longer than i had the time..anyhoo--he has an interesting personality but overall good exp at his salon...

they know what their doin in that salon and he is veryyy all about natural hair..he asked me a zillion hair questions lol a zillion!

Does he have a long wait for appointments?

lux10023

I'm actually not sure...originally i just booked a simple appointment--wash, blow dry and flatiron--i think when they saw my title/where i work they put me with dickey--i had my admin book the appt...

i didn't request him--lol--i just wanted my hair straightened for my 2 yr natural anniv.... their other hairdressers are just as good...two ladies worked on my hair...yoshi did the wash/flat iron and the other lady gave me a serious trim to my ends which was much needed and she had me red carpet fresh...forgot the other stylist name but both were superb--

his prices are expensive---if you want your hair done specifically by him you will pay for it--but his team are extremely professional and trained by him so they are just as great...and their prices are reasonable

my hair wasn't long enough to have it professionally done imho prior to my 2 yr anniv but now I'm a lil past shoulder length--btwn dickey and leona wilson salon--those will be my two go to's for natural hair in nyc--ive had friends and associates go to dickeys for ions...

my exp there was a good one--but i know ppl are mixed on pov's on dickeys salon

HTH

Does he have a long wait for appointments?

Last edited:

FelaShrine

What!!!??? I thought he was white. I admit I have bad eyes though.

I'd feel better if he wasnt so if indeed he's black. kudos to him.

eta: did people ever po the whole dime or quarter size when it cazme to products? figured most people always used more than normal :lol:

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!

I've always meant to try using more styling product in the shower when my hair is soaking wet, but I always forget and revert back to my old way of wrapping my hair in a t-shirt or turbie towel.

I think I'm finally going to try applying my styling product in the shower on soaking wet hair.

naturalmanenyc

I apply styling product on soaking wet hair (shingling) but outside of the shower with a spray bottle to keep it wet. I got great results this way and less single strand knots.

I've only tried Hair Rules once, for a blow out. This is a Yelp review I wrote:

I had not worn my hair straight in some time and decided to try out Hair Rules Express Blow Out, which I read was $55. There was a lot of buzz about Hair Rules products, which I had never tried, so I thought the best place to try them would be the salon.

When I arrived I checked in with reception and was asked to take a seat. My stylist, forgot her name, came over to get my jacket and offered me a drink. She had a huge, curly afro so I thought I hit the jackpot. I figured someone with natural hair would know how to deal with my hair. I selected tea. When she came back with the tea, I was asked to put on a cape and she went to work examining my hair. While at the sink, she gave me tips about washing my natural hair such as using conditioner and not shampoo (something I already knew). As each product was used on my hair, she let me touch it and smell it as she explained what the product was doing to my hair. It was a bit like an infomercial.

My conditioner was added and I was put under the dryer. After my hair was rinsed, it was time for the blow out which was initially painful. After adding the blow dry cream, she combed my hair from root to tip. As she combed out my hair to section it, she also combed from root to tip. I had to take the comb from her to show her how to comb my hair without hurting me.

My blowout was finished pretty quickly (I have fine hair) and then she flat ironed it. I did not take note of the type of flat iron used but do know that I was burned by it a couple of times. She put some curls in my hair with the flat iron.

Once I was done, she went to write out my "prescription" which noted the products used on my hair. I asked for a trim but was told it would be an additional $85. I passed on the hair rules trim. I paid $57 & change for my express blow out and left a tip. I then went to a Dominican salon for a $5 trim. I later went to the local beauty supply store to buy a comb attachment for my blow dryer since I was pretty confident that I could get better results at home without the burns with my FHI Runway flat iron.

prettybyrd

I used this method most when I was using Curl Keeper. I've not tried it with other products.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I just bought some Hair Rules last night during the 75% off Flash Sale (Monique's Boutique).

Didn't know anything about Mr. Dickey until I read up on the Products. And Bumped into this Thread.

I only got the Quench Conditioner.

I had the Nourishing L-I but was just 'refunded' for it because it was OOS.

Hopefully, this will make a decent Cowash Conditioner.

charmtreese

I'm actually not sure...originally i just booked a simple appointment--wash, blow dry and flatiron--i think when they saw my title/where i work they put me with dickey--i had my admin book the appt... i didn't request him--lol--i just wanted my hair straightened for my 2 yr natural anniv.... their other hairdressers are just as good...two ladies worked on my hair...yoshi did the wash/flat iron and the other lady gave me a serious trim to my ends which was much needed and she had me red carpet fresh...forgot the other stylist name but both were superb-- his prices are expensive---if you want your hair done specifically by him you will pay for it--but his team are extremely professional and trained by him so they are just as great...and their prices are reasonable my hair wasn't long enough to have it professionally done imho prior to my 2 yr anniv but now I'm a lil past shoulder length--btwn dickey and leona wilson salon--those will be my two go to's for natural hair in nyc--ive had friends and associates go to dickeys for ions... my exp there was a good one--but i know ppl are mixed on pov's on dickeys salon HTH

Thanks, so much for responding! I want to go next year as a b-day gift to myself.

faithVA

[USER=156804 said:
Soratachi[/USER];20138001]Tried this method on my hair. Love it!!!

Would you share what you used? What was different in this method compared to what you were doing before you tried it?

LadyRaider

I will have to try harder. I'm not doing something right. My curls are BEAUTIFUL when wet. I just can't keep them.