Average terminal length may be much longer than we think

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
This article suggests that average terminal length actually ranges from 39 inches to 59 inches :shocked: :

https://suite101.com/a/how-long-can-human-hair-grow-a101343

and for those of you who don't like clicking links :grin: :

"How Long Can Human Hair Grow?

Unlike body hair, which only reaches a very short length, scalp hair on humans can grow very long. The ultimate length hair can achieve depends on a number of factors.

Some people naturally have the ability to grow hair longer than others. This is primarily due to the length of the anagen or growing phase of the hair's life cycle. The average anagen phase is between two and six years; a longer phase simply gives hair more time to grow. During this time the speed of hair growth may vary according to diet, genetics and hormonal changes.

According to Clarence R. Robbins in Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair (Springer, 2002), most humans can grow their hair as long as 100-150cm. Long hair contests demonstrate that this is by no means the upper limit – the current world record holder for long hair, Xie Qiuping, boasts tresses more than 5.6 metres long.

Does All Scalp Hair Grow to the Same Length?
People who never trim their hair often find that some hairs grow longer than others. Hair on the top of the head grows faster than hair around the temples and the nape of the neck. These slower hairs are also finer and weaker, making them more prone to damage. As a result these hairs are often shorter, creating a V-shape at the tips of the hair (known as the hemline). Some people also notice quirks in their hair growth such as hair growing longer/faster on one side of the head, or a few 'racer' hairs which remain a few inches longer than the rest.

False Terminal Length
Although it is common for people to state their hair 'doesn't grow' beyond shoulder-length or a similarly short terminal length, this is in fact very rare. Damaging haircare practices may result in so much damage and breakage that hair tapers dramatically; however, this does not indicate true terminal length. False terminal length may also be caused by resting periods in the hair's growth, or by previous haircuts which have already consumed the lifespan (and thus length) of a large number of hairs. Long hair experts recommend waiting a year or two from the point when the hair appears to stop growing, while using gentle hair care practices and maintaining good nutrition, before deciding that it has truly achieved its terminal length.

Short Terminal Length in Movies
One reason why many people think waist length or above is 'average' terminal length is due to the movies. Historical films tend to ignore actual historical haircare fashions and instead portray fantasised versions in keeping with modern sensibilities. As a result, not only are historical women routinely shown with their heads bare (inappropriate during most periods of Western history), but with their hair down – another historical faux pas – and at bra-strap or waist length. During periods when women kept their hair long, a more realistic length would be thigh-length; however, perhaps feeling that this would be seen as too extreme, filmmakers tend to opt for shorter looks."-

Suite.com

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
So someone is growing 39 inches in 2 years?

sweetlaughter

No that is unlikely because the average rate of growth is half an inch per month.

However this may explain the figure they have arrived at:

"Anagen phase[edit]
The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. It begins in the papilla and can last from two to six years.[1][2] The span at which the hair remains in this stage of growth is determined by genetics. The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the faster and longer it will grow. During this phase, the cells in the papilla divide to produce new hair fibers, and the follicle buries itself into the dermal layer of the skin to nourish the strand. About 85% of the hairs on one's head are in the anagen phase at any given time." - Wikipedia

So 39 inches may not occur after two years of growth, but that doesn't mean it is outside of someone's reach just because it didn't happen in two years.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
This article suggests that average terminal length actually ranges from 39 inches to 59 inches :shocked: :

People who never trim their hair often find that some hairs grow longer than others. Hair on the top of the head grows faster than hair around the temples and the nape of the neck. These slower hairs are also finer and weaker, making them more prone to damage. As a result these hairs are often shorter, creating a V-shape at the tips of the hair (known as the hemline). Some people also notice quirks in their hair growth such as hair growing longer/faster on one side of the head, or a few 'racer' hairs which remain a few inches longer than the rest.

Suite.com

DoDo, so there's an scientific explanation of why the front and top of my hair grows faster than the back and sides.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
DoDo, so there's an scientific explanation of why the front and top of my hair grows faster than the back and sides.

MileHighDiva

Mine too! :yep:

I was thinking the same thing as well when I read it :grin:. I also have that phenomenon where one side grows faster than the other. Now I know what I have always suspected though, that obsessively trimming it even would only eat up the lifespan of the hair on my head resulting in shorter hair.:bookworm:

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My growth cycle is at least 3 years or more. I know this because I dye my hair and the dyed part will stick around for years unless I trim it off. Too bad I only grow 1/3 inch a month though :(

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Prettymetty

However you know that as long as you retain length your hair can and will grow very long. It may take you longer to get there, but you know that you can.

I know I have always wanted to take the guesswork out of whether my hair could grow as long as I wanted it to. Even now with my hair at this length I am still asking myself if the road stops here. The article suggests that most of us can grow our hair so long that most of our hair goals will at one point include us cutting to maintain. That is pretty awesome to me.

DirectorChic

https://suite101.com/a/how-long-can-human-hair-grow-a101343

and for those of you who don't like clicking links :grin: :

"How Long Can Human Hair Grow?

Unlike body hair, which only reaches a very short length, scalp hair on humans can grow very long. The ultimate length hair can achieve depends on a number of factors.

Some people naturally have the ability to grow hair longer than others. This is primarily due to the length of the anagen or growing phase of the hair's life cycle. The average anagen phase is between two and six years; a longer phase simply gives hair more time to grow. During this time the speed of hair growth may vary according to diet, genetics and hormonal changes.

According to Clarence R. Robbins in Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair (Springer, 2002), most humans can grow their hair as long as 100-150cm. Long hair contests demonstrate that this is by no means the upper limit – the current world record holder for long hair, Xie Qiuping, boasts tresses more than 5.6 metres long.

False Terminal Length
Although it is common for people to state their hair 'doesn't grow' beyond shoulder-length or a similarly short terminal length, this is in fact very rare. Damaging haircare practices may result in so much damage and breakage that hair tapers dramatically; however, this does not indicate true terminal length.
False terminal length may also be caused by resting periods in the hair's growth, or by previous haircuts which have already consumed the lifespan (and thus length) of a large number of hairs. Long hair experts recommend waiting a year or two from the point when the hair appears to stop growing, while using gentle hair care practices and maintaining good nutrition, before deciding that it has truly achieved its terminal length.

Short Terminal Length in Movies
One reason why many people think waist length or above is 'average' terminal length is due to the movies. Historical films tend to ignore actual historical haircare fashions and instead portray fantasised versions in keeping with modern sensibilities. As a result, not only are historical women routinely shown with their heads bare (inappropriate during most periods of Western history), but with their hair down – another historical faux pas – and at bra-strap or waist length. During periods when women kept their hair long, a more realistic length would be thigh-length; however, perhaps feeling that this would be seen as too extreme, filmmakers tend to opt for shorter looks."-

Suite.com

I would not be surprised if this is in response to many black women who ARE growing their hair out proving the previous "theory" false...possibly basing their shorter terminal length on black women hair....only to find out that it had to do with hair care practices.

They have been watching, listening and taking tabs.

sweetlaughter

DoDo said:
sweetlaughter

No that is unlikely because the average rate of growth is half an inch per month.

However this may explain the figure they have arrived at:

"Anagen phase[edit]
The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. It begins in the papilla and can last from two to six years.[1][2] The span at which the hair remains in this stage of growth is determined by genetics. The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the faster and longer it will grow. During this phase, the cells in the papilla divide to produce new hair fibers, and the follicle buries itself into the dermal layer of the skin to nourish the strand. About 85% of the hairs on one's head are in the anagen phase at any given time." - Wikipedia

So 39 inches may not occur after two years of growth, but that doesn't mean it is outside of someone's reach just because it didn't happen in two years.

I know the growth period is 2-5 yrs. what I don't understand is if the rest and shed phase will always follow growth assuming one isn't pregnant etc. if so then the hair only grows for two years before rest shed. Then assuming low end average of 39 inches the hair would grow 39 inches in 2 years.

ckisland

Whoever came up with an average of 39-59 inches doesn't know how to do math. Unless they forgot to up the average length hair grows per month or to increase the average anagen time.
2 years x 6 in per year = 12 in of growth
6 years x 6 in per year = 36 in of growth

I really really feel like I'm missing something. The article cited women in hair growing contests, who are rarities hair growth wise, and what, a few pictures of a few women from back in the day :/ . How did they come up with these numbers??

ETA:
If the average per month stays the same, that would mean the time your hair is growing before resting is 6.5 to about 10 years, not 2-6 years. Which this article didn't provide any evidence for. OR, like another poster mentioned, then people grow on average, since the article still used the 2-6 year average and a total length of 39-59 inches, 19.5-10 inches a year. Since when?!

Last edited:

iVR

Whoever came up with an average of 39-59 inches doesn't know how to do math. Unless they forgot to up the average length hair grows per month or to increase the average anagen time. 2 years x 6 in per year = 12 in of growth 6 years x 6 in per year = 36 in of growth I really really feel like I'm missing something. The article cited women in hair growing contests, who are rarities hair growth wise, and what, a few pictures of a few women from back in the day :/ . How did they come up with these numbers??

Are you only talking about blacks in the USA or are you talking about all ethnicities world wide? I get more than 6 inches in a year and many women in 3rd world countries have these types of hair growth rates too. Historically they are correct about hair lengths. Most women kept they're hair covered and up. It was not down as portrayed in movies. So Hollywood as usual is wrong.

ckisland

Why would 6 inches just be for black American women?? 6 inches is supposed to be the average growth for human beings in general. Some grow faster, some grow slower. We have black women with different ethnic combinations from different countries on this board, and most, with a handful of exceptions, grow close to 6 inches a year. Asian people have been cited to have the fastest growth rate and it wasn't much higher than .5 in a month. If the average got bumped up to 1in a month then the average length would be 36-72 inches. With their math, someone's rate of growth slows down the longer their growth phase is, but they didn't mention that.
And if women wore their hair covered, it would be even harder to figure out what the average length is for the European population. And there are old photos of women with their hair down, and the lengths vary tremendously.
Just wondering, how many inches do you get in a year?

Last edited:

iVR

Why would 6 inches just be for black American women?? 6 inches is supposed to be the average growth for human beings in general. Some grow faster, some grow slower. We have black women with different ethnic combinations from different countries on this board, and most, with a handful of exceptions, grow close to 6 inches a year. Asian people have been cited to have the fastest growth rate and it wasn't much higher than .5 in a month. If the average got bumped up to 1in a month then the average length would be 36-72 inches. With their math, someone's rate of growth slows down the longer their growth phase is, but they didn't mention that. And if women wore their hair covered, it would be even harder to figure out what the average length is for the European population. And there are old photos of women with their hair down, and the lengths vary tremendously. Just wondering, how many inches do you get in a year?

I only asked if you were only referring to black people because of how your statement was phrased. I get about 12 inches even with trims every 2 months in a year. Most people I'm around have about the same growth rate I do. There are slow, medium, and fast growers. Slow would be .25-.50. Medium would be .50-1inch. Fast would be 1-1.5 inches. I looked at the article as looking at all populations, but all articles are slightly biased due to their testing pool.

Honey Bee

I only asked if you were only referring to black people because of how your statement was phrased. I get about 12 inches even with trims every 2 months in a year. Most people I'm around have about the same growth rate I do. There are slow, medium, and fast growers. Slow would be .25-.50. Medium would be .50-1inch. Fast would be 1-1.5 inches. I looked at the article as looking at all populations, but all articles are slightly biased due to their testing pool.

iVR, Where are you from?

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
via The Natural Haven
"What many people do not know is that the widely quoted scientific figure is in fact based on 2-3 small scale studies which account for as few as 2 individuals. There are in fact no studies which actually track a reasonable group of individuals over a period of years to firmly determine how long the hair growth cycle actually is.

Furthermore there is evidence that this 2-6 year widely accepted length could be considerably wrong. One interesting study which measured hair length of visitors to US theme parks and hair lengths recorded online on long hair sites, came to the conclusion that the average normal length of the anagen phase could be as long as 12 to 14 years."

Last edited:

ckisland

via The Natural Haven
"What many people do not know is that the widely quoted scientific figure is in fact based on 2-3 small scale studies which account for as few as 2 individuals. There are in fact no studies which actually track a reasonable group of individuals over a period of years to firmly determine how long the hair growth cycle actually is.

Furthermore there is evidence that this 2-6 year widely accepted length could be considerably wrong. One interesting study which measured hair length of visitors to US theme parks and hair lengths recorded online on long hair sites, came to the conclusion that the average normal length of the anagen phase could be as long as 12 to 14 years."

Well that would be great! But apparently there aren't enough of these studies, or they didn't pass peer review standards, to become a well known alternative to the currently accepted model.
If the anagen phase is that long, I wonder if that effects the average growth rate?

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Well that would be great! But apparently there aren't enough of these studies, or they didn't pass peer review standards, to become a well known alternative to the currently accepted model.
If the anagen phase is that long, I wonder if that effects the average growth rate?

All the studies above technically passed peer review standards including the study that placed the anagen at as long as 12 to 14 years. I can tell you though, from the courses I have taken on how they run experimental studies, that you usually need at least 30 participants in order to have viable statistical results. Just because a couple studies are widely quoted does not mean they are statistically viable.

ETA: This is the citation for the 12-14 year long anagen phase:

J Cosmet Sci, pp 367-378, 2003

Interestingly enough the widely quoted value is actually from 1970 indicating it may even be outdated. Here is the citation for that here:

Journal of Investigative Dermatology , pp 65–81, 1970

Last edited:

ckisland

That's an incredible growth rate you have!! You get over 2 inches a month! Wow! So you could go from bald to WL in about a year and a half? What's the longest you've gone letting your hair grow out? It would be cool if you documented (unless you currently have pics to share :look:) like 2 years of growth :yep:. I've known people with hip and butt length hair, and even if they were fast growers (if .5" is standard), they didn't grow 12 inches a year :lol:.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
By JC of the NaturalHavenBloom:

"It is a sad fact that there is an inherent fear among many women that their hair simply cannot get past a certain length. Many fear their hair may never get past chin or shoulder length. This fear is reinforced in part because natural hair can easily get stuck at this length due to constant breakage. This article is all about getting clear knowledge about terminal length.

Does a terminal length exist?

Yes terminal length exists and we have all seen the proof in the form of shed hair. This hair would not be falling out of the scalp naturally unless it had come to the end of its growth cycle. There is no doubt about the existence of a terminal length, hair does stop gaining length at a point and will then shed.

Is there a way to determine how long hair will keep growing?

No there is no proven way to determine this. Some blogs and forums do have calculated numbers based on shed hair but this is not scientific in any way. The truth is even in science, it is not clear what is an average amount of daily shed hair for a human being. Some say 100 a day but some tests have shown daily shedding rates as low as 30.

How long will hair keep growing and how long will it grow?

Many people will quote hair as having a 3-5 year growth phase. This is actually a scientific guess and not a fact, some other studies suggest hair could keep growing for over a decade. For growth rate, the lowest estimate of hair growth rate is around 4 inches per year. Putting the lowest figures together, the shortest hair length is 12 inches in 3 years.

So is 12 inches the maximum possible length?

No, it is the lowest possible guess that your hair can grow up to. 12 inches of hair is not short at all though, as Loo said in her previous article, this can be APL or BSL for some women. I would suggest claiming those 12 inches and then seeing what more you can gain. Clearly if your hair gains even half an inch over those 12 inches, the fact is that your hair has not reached its terminal length. Many naturals will already see that their hair gains more than 4 inches during the first year after transitioning which is something that should not be disregarded in future years when growth will be affected by possible breakage of older hair.

What if no one in my family has ever had long hair?

Genetics do play a role in how long your hair will grow but curly and kinky natural hair is unique in the fact that hair breakage is a prevalent issue. If poor techniques are used within a family to maintain this type of hair, the real length of hair may never be showcased. It is a very common quote to hear naturals say, ‘This is the longest my hair has ever been.’ This is a testament to the fact that once they hit the right techniques, routine and product combinations, hair can gain and maintain length as it has never done before.

What if my hair has been stuck at neck length for over 6 months?

I suggest reading this previous article on hair plateaus to know how to deal with that."

iVR

That's an incredible growth rate you have!! You get over 2 inches a month! Wow! So you could go from bald to WL in about a year and a half? What's the longest you've gone letting your hair grow out? It would be cool if you documented (unless you currently have pics to share :look:) like 2 years of growth :yep:. I've known people with hip and butt length hair, and even if they were fast growers (if .5" is standard), they didn't grow 12 inches a year :lol:.

I've mostly maintained my hair at between APL and BSL. I'm currently letting my Mohawk grow out. This is the second Mohawk I'm growing out. The picture is after a year and a few months of growing out the first Mohawk. Maybe about a year and a half if not less. I'm considering just letting it get to WL right now. But I'm still on the ropes because that's a lot of hair. It's nice, but that's a lot of hair.

Attachments

• image-1702957095.jpg
    image-1702957095.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 75

sweetlaughter

I've mostly maintained my hair at between APL and BSL. I'm currently letting my Mohawk grow out. This is the second Mohawk I'm growing out. The picture is after a year and a few months of growing out the first Mohawk. Maybe about a year and a half if not less. I'm considering just letting it get to WL right now. But I'm still on the ropes because that's a lot of hair. It's nice, but that's a lot of hair.

Thanks for providing pictures. Your hair is beautiful. I have never seen growth like that before (I am not being sarcastic). I have watched a lot of my friends (2 Chinese, 1 Indian, 1 Ecuadorian, 3 white) struggle over the past few years to grow failed chin bobs back to their previous lengths (MBL - HL). All of them are hitting only 6 inches a year of growth. It is nice to see someone with a faster growth rate.