I must be high...

LongCurlyLocks

...because after years upon years of HATING dreads, I'm considering getting them. Please don't get offended anyone, I just never liked the way they looked. But now I need to do something. I have been considering shaving my head or a really short cut. Wearing weaves, braids in the past may have damaged my scalp. I may have a scalp disorder and have considered hair implants in the thin spots. Because of some of the thin spots I don't even know if dreads would work. I have no idea how to care for dreads or how much they cost or if they would even look good on me! I'm just at a loss. I just want my childhood thickness and length back.

cherishlove

If you're headed in that direction have you looked at sister locks? I know some people that have some beautiful sister locks.

LongCurlyLocks

This is the size/style I want. Sister locks are too small. The lady in the yellow is my cousin. She has been growing hers for 18 years. I dreamed I was somewhere retwisting my locs last night. I guess I need to stop playing and do this.

Attachments

• image-174656318.jpg
    image-174656318.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 180
  • image-450582098.jpg
    image-450582098.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image-3803950307.jpg
    image-3803950307.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2814805502.jpg
    image-2814805502.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image-1804848570.jpg
    image-1804848570.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 201

prettybyrd

My coworker has the prettiest lock extensions. She got them to see what she would look like with locks, and she's going to lock from the extensions. Maybe try a temporary look before moving forward with the real deal? (Well, if you are able. You seem to have had some trouble with the braids and weaves.) That way at least you can see how you would look in them.

Best of luck! I love locks, and I've been contemplating them for years.

Atdow71

For years I hated dreads and I even talked my cousin out of them. Then one day, I saw someone w/the nicest dreads I've ever seen in my life. Then one of my sisters got dreads and shortly after, I started locing my hair. I remained loc'd for 10 years. It was one if the best hair decisions I ever made.

LongCurlyLocks

The lady I talked to didn't say it would be that much, so I think it would be easier when I get the money. I'm going to try and see if I can get a reference before I pay anything though. Just because it's less expensive doesn't mean it won't look like crap.

LongCurlyLocks

For years I hated dreads and I even talked my cousin out of them. Then one day, I saw someone w/the nicest dreads I've ever seen in my life. Then one of my sisters got dreads and shortly after, I started locing my hair. I remained loc'd for 10 years. It was one if the best hair decisions I ever made.

See, that's what happened to me. I couldn't stand them but like I said I was getting bored and frustrated. Then I saw a young man with dreads walking up the street that weren't too long but long enough to be just a swingin'. I'm like that's nice right there. And that's when it started, the research, everything. Now every time I look around I catch someone with dreads. And I went to a funeral today and saw several people with them too. I'm like they're calling me, yo...

Niapb

Get them!!! Locs are the best. I replied in the loc support thread, but here are a few of my favorite loc'd heads
The beauty of Locs is just unmatched, in my eyes.

Attachments

• image-3622224155.jpg
    image-3622224155.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-4043276620.jpg
    image-4043276620.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3788598416.jpg
    image-3788598416.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image-786189994.jpg
    image-786189994.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

LongCurlyLocks

Ok, here is the problem, folks. I do have a thin spot in the front of my head, at the very top. I told my mother about it (big mistake I think) and she was saying well what about your thin spot? That's going to make it worst. As the dreads grow they will get heavy on your hair. Why don't you do bantu knots instead? That would make it grow and it won't be any pressure, you won't have to pay any money, you can do them yourself... blah blah blah... She does make valid points but I don't know. I did go to a loctition for a consultation and she said it wasn't bad. But she could be saying that to get my money too. I am fixated on the locs now. I'm stuck. What do you think I should do?

melissa-bee

I agree that you should try and sort out the bald spot and thinning first then get the locks.
Getting locks isn't gonna resolve your balding issues it could actually make it worse depending on how heavy your hair is.

cynd

@LongCurlyLocks, I agree with the other posters in this and the other thread that you may want to work on your problem spots first (as well as f/u with a professional, etc.) I have naturally fine, low density hair with pronounced thinning and a bald spot at the top. After targeting this area religiously for several months, I'm finally seeing positive results. Here are some of the things I'm doing:

Regular scalp massages with a combination of rosemary, thyme, cedarwood, lavender and peppermint oils

Scalp massages using a 50/50 mix of emu and EVCO

Rubbing raw (grated) onion or onion juice on the bald spot (or your entire scalp). I try to leave it on for at least 30 minutes before I wash it out. Yes, it smells, but you can add a few drops of essential oils if necessary. The smaller the onion the more potent. I use a red onion but I don't think it matters.

Rubbing raw ginger (or fresh ginger juice) on the bald spot or your entire scalp. You can also grate fresh ginger and mix it with sesame oil if you prefer. I try to use this at least once a week

I know this is doing a lot, but I'm on a mission and after a few months the four-lane highway at the top of my head has been reduced to a two-lane highway, so it looks like I'm headed in the right direction.

Best of luck to you (HUGS)

Last edited:

LongCurlyLocks

Thank you ladies, I will take your advice. BTW, my mom thinks she's hot stuff because you all agreed with her. Whatever... I will try to keep you all posted.

BonBon

Sorry this is OT but do you know where you got those locs pics from?

The second woman in the white Tshirt might be a singer I used to like and I'd like to find out her name!

LongCurlyLocks

Ok, so I've thought about it and even though the dreads are calling me, I'm going to hold off, get the biopsy and the results and go from there. In the meantime I'm going to go back to babying my hair with my oils-might pick up that Liquid Gold bald spot treatment and do natural low maintenance styles. I can't use that topical crap the dermatologist gave me it is too greasy and it has mineral oil in it (huh?). I jumped on the Waist Length 2015 challenge so maybe that will inspire me. I will let you all know how it goes on the 9th.

LongCurlyLocks

Well guess what? I can't go back to this dermatologist, she no longer accepts my insurance. The appointment was tomorrow. Now I have to start over... Can't win for losing.

Rnjones

Well guess what? I can't go back to this dermatologist, she no longer accepts my insurance. The appointment was tomorrow. Now I have to start over... Can't win for losing.

Do u have out of network benefits? If u feel it's worth it u can go that route

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF