Laying Hands on People

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I couldn't see if there was a thread regarding this matter, sooooo:

I guess you can say that I'm in the market for a new church home. This past Sunday, I visited a church that is pretty reputable for lack of a better word, and it isn't too far from my house, all the better. While it is a very nice church, I knew after the service that I would not be returning for two reasons. First, they do not read from the KJV bible, which is one of my requirements. Secondly, it's one of those churches where the pastor tells everyone to "lay your hand on the person next to/ in front of/ in back of you and begin to pray for such and such".

I'm very funny about whose hands I let touch me during prayer. I did not allow the man sitting behind me to touch me. :look: I stepped away in the opposite direction when the woman sitting next to me in my row tried to reach out. It may have seemed stand offish but I really didn't feel bad about it. I was told a long time ago that spirits transfer and you can't let just any old body lay hands on you. I will not allow strangers to touch me in that capacity. What say you?

Successfulmiss

I have a whole lot to say but there are too many self righteous people in this section of the forum so I will say study and pray to The Lord about this. I for one am not big on this because I know I have the prophetic gifting and I don't want to deal with other people's demons unless I'm casting them out! So that's all I have OP. Continue to be pray full and allow truly humble and godly people who have died to their own will counsel you. All in love ladies.

sweetvi

That is interesting..... And it makes sense. I know we reach our hands towards the pulpit to pray for people who confesses the sinners prayers but not like what you said. I notice many churches don't use the KJV, but I'm just like you, I only read the KJV and would go to others if I haven't understood the scriptures after reading it several times.

LoveBeautyKisses

I read the title and began reading about u looking for a new church. I thought you got into a fight at church lol.

Why should u feel bad about not letting someone touch u???

You are free to look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with finding a church home that you are comfortable with.

Stay blessed.

Sent from my Relaxer Box Heaux

MrsHaseeb

Hi. On this subject, I will first say I'm not sure there is any Biblical reference for such a practice. This Bible talks about laying hands and taking part in other people's sins. There is danger in that and it requires discernment on the part of both people. There are only a few reasons in the Bible that we see people practicing the laying on of hands for...

1. Someone needs prayer to be baptized in the Holy Spirit
2. Someone is being placed into an office of a certain ministry within the body of Christ (I.e. deacons, Elders, etc)
3. Under the authority of the Spirit someone is being gifted for a task
4. Someone is sick or oppressed and needs prayer and healing

I'm on my phone so I will come back later and give Scripture references for all of that. If a believer has the Holy Spirit they can approach God for themselves and do not need to have random people lay hands on them. Jesus has blessed us with the Bible (which many belivers in other countries do not have) so we have to be studious. We may not know everything about the way the early belivers did things but the Bible really tells us a whole lot. When you see things that don't line up with the Bible please pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you. That's why He is here.

Last edited:

CoilyFields

I guess you can say that I'm in the market for a new church home. This past Sunday, I visited a church that is pretty reputable for lack of a better word, and it isn't too far from my house, all the better. While it is a very nice church, I knew after the service that I would not be returning for two reasons. First, they do not read from the KJV bible, which is one of my requirements. Secondly, it's one of those churches where the pastor tells everyone to "lay your hand on the person next to/ in front of/ in back of you and begin to pray for such and such".

I'm very funny about whose hands I let touch me during prayer. I did not allow the man sitting behind me to touch me. :look: I stepped away in the opposite direction when the woman sitting next to me in my row tried to reach out. It may have seemed stand offish but I really didn't feel bad about it. I was told a long time ago that spirits transfer and you can't let just any old body lay hands on you. I will not allow strangers to touch me in that capacity. What say you?

Hey, if youre not comfortable with it then thats your right. Ive been at churches where they will say to pray for the person next to you. I wasn't bothered by it (it wasnt really a "lay your hands on them" situation though) but if you are then keep looking.

SN: Why is it important to you that they read from the KJV?
(I grew up with that version and am comfortable with it but I dont have a preference and wouldn't have considered it to make a difference in which church i attended.)

huxtable

Re the bolded, why oh why oh why do some Pastors do this? Do they even know some of the baggage / oppresive spirits, etc, people walk into Church with? And they want those same people to lay hands on people and pray for them! IMO it is very irresponsible. Someone please chime in, maybe my opinion is wrong. I am willing to learn.

Nice & Wavy

Re the bolded, why oh why oh why do some Pastors do this? Do they even know some of the baggage / oppresive spirits, etc, people walk into Church with? And they want those same people to lay hands on people and pray for them! IMO it is very irresponsible. Someone please chime in, maybe my opinion is wrong. I am willing to learn.
I will say this: There are people with baggage/oppressive spirits etc, outside of the church. Do we pray a cleansing prayer each time a person touches us? I really doubt it....:yep:

Under the anointing of the Holy Spirit during a service, those demons don't stand a chance to attach themselves on you.

Don't be so afraid of the enemy in this way. If you know that you are covered by the Blood of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is operating in your life...there should be no concern. However, if you are in a situation where someone just wants to lay hands on you and pray for you, you have every right to tell that person NO...and/or don't allow them to touch you in that case. That is your right!

huxtable

I will say this: There are people with baggage/oppressive spirits etc, outside of the church. Do we pray a cleansing prayer each time a person touches us? I really doubt it....:yep:

Under the anointing of the Holy Spirit during a service, those demons don't stand a chance to attach themselves on you.

Don't be so afraid of the enemy in this way. If you know that you are covered by the Blood of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is operating in your life...there should be no concern. However, if you are in a situation where someone just wants to lay hands on you and pray for you, you have every right to tell that person NO...and/or don't allow them to touch you in that case. That is your right!

Thanks for your response. I know we touch people on a daily basis, i.e. shake hands etc. But I ment random people laying hands on me TO PRAY.

But like you said, if you do not want the person to lay hands on you, you don't allow them to. But there is the potential for an awkward situation during service like in the op.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

Thanks for your response. I know we touch people on a daily basis, i.e. shake hands etc. But I ment random people laying hands on me TO PRAY.

But like you said, if you do not want the person to lay hands on you, you don't allow them to. But there is the potential for an awkward situation during service like in the op.
If the call by the pastor is to pray for the person next to you and its a call under the umbrella of the Holy Spirit, there is nothing to fear!

If something happened to you and there weren't any of the people around you that you trust to pray for you, only random people, would you NOT ask for them to pray for you? Would you not want someone to pray for you in a crisis? Of course you would because the presence of God is everywhere and can work through anyone He chooses.

The point I am trying to make is that when you are in an atmosphere of worship, don't fear.....have faith. Nothing can harm you when God is in the midst.

The Body of Christ must stop fearing that the devil is always present where Jesus is! We must get to the point where we know that we know, that we know that in the presence of the Lord, the enemy has to flee!!! Once we get to that point, we will begin to see miracles, healings and changed lives taking place right before our eyes and in our own lives!

I thought we serve a great big, wonderful, awesome and mighty God?

When we as a Church begin to enter into our church services with an attitude of praise and thanksgiving to Our Heavenly Father for all He has done and will do for us, we will recognize that the enemy can't be where God is and we will begin to experience victory!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire

felic1

This was a good post, Nice & Wavy! We are operating in fear to be afraid in corporate service.