Flexirods!!

Cincysweetie

Hey ladies! :wave: I bought a few packages of flexirods today and I can't wait to use them! Does anyone have an album that shows instructions for or pictures of their flexirod set? Any tips for me? Also, about how long will it take me to do them and how can I protect my results overnight? TIA!

chestnutblonde

I've used them before with wonderful results, but I used them on dry hair. Kitchentician has used flexirods and her amazing results are in her album. Make sure you post pics.

shellzfoshizzle

All I can say is good luck with that Cincysweetie...lol...remember my post with flexi rods...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=68733

lol

anyways, seriously good luck...do I have any tips...? Sure I do, I learned from the last time I attempted to do a flexi rod set and screwed up (see my post above!) *use a lot of rods if you want more curls*start at the back and work your way up because you can't see what you're doing with all the rods dangling down from the top*Don't be impatient and keep unraveling them to see how pretty they'll look or if they are dry (chances are they aren't)..either sit under the dryer for a long time or spend the day at home while it's airdrying annnnnnnd THE NUMBER ONE TIP IS....dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn: make sure they are completely dry or else it'll just be a ball of damp frizz!

Actually, I was just looking at lovelymissyoli's album (great album and motivation for me btw) and she's got instructions of how to do a flexi rod set, only she uses straws...same principle though but I think she's got some flexi's in there too.

I got fed up and just paid someone to mine for me last week, but I hate when stuff gets the best of me, so I think when this set starts looking rough I'm going to try it on my own. I really like it. I've gotten so many compliments and this is going to be my main style as I transition. I don't have to worry about "style" and a certain hair being in a certain place, I just rub some oil on my hands in the morning or spray on some oil sheen and go. At night I sleep with a satin cap on, but it flattens the back of my hair so sometimes while I'm getting dressed I'll put 2 or 3 flexi rods in the back so it wont look smooshed.

good luck and post some pictures with the results!

Cheleigh

Good luck. I'd used lovelymissyoli's album as inspiration, but mine still still didn't come out great. I would have kept practicing, I didn't like how my hair felt, so right now I'm using my flexirods every night as part of my braid out. I love them for that purpose, so they were still a great purchase. I'll try again when I have more patience.

Attachments

• shelset1.jpg
    shelset1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 69
  • shelset2.jpg
    shelset2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 47
  • shelset3.jpg
    shelset3.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 415

lovelymissyoli

Hey Cincysweetie,

I don’t think it’s that bad. If you’re looking for a full head of curls, depending on how big your parts are it shouldn’t take you that long --- 2 – 2 1/2 hours at the most. My first flexi rod set didn’t come out the way I wanted it to because I used too few rods and made too big parts. However, from that experience I kept practicing and got better at it.

Make sure you use a really good setting lotion/solution. I recommend Motions liquid setting solution because it detangles, adds sheen, and gives a flexible hold!

This style is fairly easy to do and it’s amazing how well the hair sticks on to the rod. If your ends are the type that unravels quickly, I recommend wrapping your ends around first, and then twist a little more hair around your ends to secure them so they won’t unravel, and then begin rolling in a spiral motion until you reach your scalp. In order to hold down my new growth I tend to twist the flexi rod around one more time to make sure it’s taut enough. Finally, I bend the end of the flexi rod that closest to my scalp to secure that section of hair. You don't have to bend the other end, just the top.

I've included some pictures of how my flexi rod sets turned out so that you can get an idea of what to expect. As time went on they started to look better but please don't mind that first one --- it was my first try! I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Cincysweetie

Thank you all so much for the tips and the pictures, they were VERY helpful! It ended up taking me about 1.5 hours to do it, which wasn't too bad. I used 25 flexirods (red), so I hope it comes out okay. I also used Nexxus' setting lotion, but I'm not sure that I used enough. Oh, well guess we'll see tomorrow!! Even if I have just decent results I'll be happy. I may sit under the dryer tonight for a little while, airdry tomorrow and maybe sit under the dryer a bit longer tomorrow before taking them out. I'll be sure to take some pictures for you all. Thanks again for the tips!

Cincysweetie

I wish somebody would have told me how uncomfortable those b*tches are to sleep on! I had the worst night of sleep last night! :mad: I really hope the style turns out cute b/c I ain't even in the mood for some mess!

Last edited:

Cincysweetie

How do I know when my hair is dry??? I'm really anxious to take these out but I'm scared that they won't be dry yet....

Cincysweetie

Well ladies, they were dry! I took some pics for you all, I think I did decent for a first attempt. I picked up some tricks along the way that I'll try to incorporate the next time, but I'm pleased with my results for the most part. Check it out, let me know what you think. The link is in my siggy, the pw: tresses.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Girrrrrrrrrrl they came out so cute and bangin, you did a really good job for the first time, it looks like you've been doing them forever, anyway that shine is nice too, is it from the products or is that Colorshines still hangin around?

RootPunch

Your hair looks great. You did a professional job with those flexirods. Congratulations! :bdance: :clap:
They're beautiful. (Sorry about the pain of sleeping in them:( ).

MzTami

Hellerrrr
WoWWWWWWWWW can you say shirley Temple! You did a great job, no frizz at all. It's beautifulll(that's with 3 L's)

wyldcurlz

I'M JEALOUS!!!!

i must be hair impaired! when i tried flexi-rods for the 1st time the looked like...well, let's just say they looked HORRID!!! yours came out so shiny and beautifully textured.

please, please let us know how you maintan them in the upcoming days and how the curls themselves look as the days go on.

did i miss it or did you post exactly how you achieved such a beautiful flexi set? did you use setting lotion? big sections of hair or small? did you heat or air dry? i'll comb back thru the post...maybe i missed it. but if i didn't, please post it!

thanks and they looks AMAZING!!!!

Cincysweetie

Thank you all so much for the compliments! I really was expecting worse results, a big frizz ball or something, lol. Honestly, I thought this wasn't too difficult to do, and I'm hair challenged...so if I can do it, I think y'all can too! :D

Wyld...In the picture descriptions I posted how I did it and what I used, I'll put them here too though. I did use a setting lotion, Nexxus VersaStyler and my typical products (coconut oil and PM's The Conditioner leave-in). I made 25 sections, I would say they were medium sized, not too big and not too small.

Beautifulwideeyes...I'm not sure what to attribute the shine from. I bet it has something to do with the Colourshines (which I've had in for 4 or 5 weeks now, I can't remember). But I also used coconut oil which always gives me good shine.

Thanks again ladies, and I'll be sure to let you know how I care for the style over the next couple of days.

Cincysweetie

Hey ladies. So today is day two of the flexirods. I slept with a satin bonnet loosely tied in my hair last night. I took it off today and the curls on the left were a little smooshed and there isn't as much body in the style as what I had yesterday. I went through, pulled apart some of the curls, fluffed it up a bit and I'm good to go. I'll add some moisture to it and that's about it.

bellezanegra826

wow I looked at your album and your results were so pretty. I have been seeing a girl with the same hair style at my school but I didn't know how she got her hair that way. I have a quick question about how you did your rods: do you roll your hair with them and they stay in vertically or do you have to roll your hair and then bend the rods?

Cincysweetie

bellezanegra826 said:
wow I looked at your album and your results were so pretty. I have been seeing a girl with the same hair style at my school but I didn't know how she got her hair that way. I have a quick question about how you did your rods: do you roll your hair with them and they stay in vertically or do you have to roll your hair and then bend the rods?
I rolled my hair and then bended both ends of the rods. I think that I didn't have to bend the bottom of the rods, but def. the top with all this new growth.

kitchen_tician

They look beautiful! You did a great job. :yep: Yes, they are super uncomfortable to sleep in. It's best to do it super early in the morning and then you'll have the entire day to let them dry.

Cincysweetie

Okay so the style has now run it's course, lol. The curls aren't full and bouncy anymore, but all smooshed and flat. I'm gonna go wash. Thanks again for all the compliments and suggestions. :)

renee_n_3000

Cincy, I had to bump this to say how absolutely GORGEOUS this looks and to give others who may have missed it before the chance to see it! I just did a search on flexi rods and found this thread for the first time. :)

Cincysweetie

renee_n_3000 said:
Cincy, I had to bump this to say how absolutely GORGEOUS this looks and to give others who may have missed it before the chance to see it! I just did a search on flexi rods and found this thread for the first time. :)
Thank you Renee! Are you thinking of doing a flexirod set?

Honey01

All I know is Caramela is the one who inspired me a few years ago to try flexirods. She had a really pic of her w/ curls stlyed by rods. I don't know she if she has album or not. I haven't rocked em' in a while though. I just get annoyed because they never seem to dry EVER under the dryer, especially the ones hanging down by the neck. So then I have to go to sleep on them. Ouch.

renee_n_3000

Cincysweetie said:
Thank you Renee! Are you thinking of doing a flexirod set?

You're welcome! Yes, I am thinking of doing a flexi rod set but I don't think I will be doing one as nice as yours any time soon now that I've read how long it takes to do it.

I was pretty clueless as to how they should/could be used until I did a search and found your thread. I've always wanted to get some. I saw them in the beauty supply store Saturday and thought maybe I could use them as regular rollers. I saw some purple ones by Diane that are 10 inches long, so I thought with about 6 of them, I might be able to do my whole head quickly on dry hair with a bit of Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk and let it set overnight. I may still try them that way first, then work my way up to doing it the way you, Lovelymissyoli, and other ladies have.

Loveymissyoli, your hair is beautiful too. Somehow I didn't realize that your pics were of a flexi rod set before.