Mesh rollers are amazing!!! Pics!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I am here singing the praises of mesh rollers y'all!!! I did a sucessful rollerset!

Lemme just say I thought I was hopeless, a lost cause if you will :lol: everytime I tried was a tragedy lol, hair kept sliding off the roller, couldn't roll it tight enough, just a mess :nono: Even when I was relaxed, it was a struggle.

Not anymore! Ladies, these things are the BOMB. The texture of the mesh really holds the hair so it easy to get the right tension, and the hair stays on the roller, no slipping and sliding all over the place. The rollers have a lil weight to them too, which I think helps keep the tension once you've pinned it down. Hair dried really quickly, 1 1/2 hrs but that's quick considering i used a soft bonnet attached to a blowdryer on
LOW.

Right, the pics.

Background: I'm natural. This is my hair clean, slightly damp, kinda shurnken, no product. The ends are a a looser texture because a year ago I was heat training:

In the rollers:

Rollers taken down:

Combed through:

Now as you can see, mesh rollers do not magically transform you into a rollerset queen, my set is fairly wonky :rolleyes::lol: BUT, it still came out decent.

Product details in the next post.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Here is the roller up close:

I don't know what brand they are, they literally just said "Mesh Rollers made in Italy" in green writing. They are 1 1/2" I bought them from an old school tucked away BSS. They seemed like they had been sitting there for a while.

How did I prep my hair?:

Nothing special, my usual wash and DC. In case you'd like to know what I use on washday:

CON argan oil shampoo, a 5 min protein tx with a mix of TIGI dumb blonde and Aphogee 2 min, DC with ORS replenishing, final rinse with diluted ACV to close cuticles.

How did I secure the rollers?

Bobby pins. I tried to use the special roller pins but they kept falling out.

How many rollers? 24. Although I think im gonna get more, I think I'll get more swang with smaller sections.

Did I use end papers?

Yes. I believe these really helps keep my ends smooth. I've tried sets before without them and the ends would be crinkled/fuzzy. I recommend you try end papers esp if you have textured hair.

What did I put in my hair?

I had 2 spray bottles, one with diluted conditioner (tresemme color care) and lottabody setting lotion, another with plain water. I applied the leave-in combed through and then saturated my hair with water.

Just before rolling applied a dab of my shea butter mix and castor oil to the middle/ends.

How did i smooth the hair?

I first detangled the section with a large shower comb, then used a tangle teaser, VERY GENTLY, to unformly smooth the hair. I'know first hand the ugly side of the TT but I found it to be gentler on my hair than a rat-tail comb. I then put on the end papers and rolled.

Last edited:

Blairx0

So glad you posted this! I had hunted for natural who used messed rollers and couldn't find much and I post in the roller setting thread and got no replies.

This may be work looking into for me. Once I find space for more rollers.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Thank you so much ladies! :)

Blairx0 I definitely think they're worth a try.

tatiana yes I used the big goody ones. Like this:

Um, well not that big, but you get the idea :lol:

southerncitygirl

halee_J

your hair looks good and i thought you were still transitioning,lol. welcome to the naptural side. you give me hope cause i can't roller set to save my life. i do think mesh would make things easier for the roller setting challenged though. i want to try other styles other than twist/braid/bantu knot out type styles and have my hair be more stretched.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
your hair looks good and i thought you were still transitioning,lol. welcome to the naptural side. you give me hope cause i can't roller set to save my life. i do think mesh would make things easier for the roller setting challenged though. i want to try other styles other than twist/braid/bantu knot out type styles and have my hair be more stretched.

Aw thank you southerncitygirl :) I was transitioning, I cut the last of my relaxed ends in November rather unceremoniously lol. I realised making this post I needed to update my siggy. I'm just patiently growing out this heat trained hair. Girl, trust me I could not set to save my life, these rollers make it so much easier.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

Wow your hair looks great, I wish I had your skills. I used self-grip (velcro) rollers before and it was a big mistake. They almost ripped my font pieces of hair out :lol: I didn't even finish the set. But these mesh rollers look much safer. Thanks for this useful post :) I wish I could get my hair that straight with rollers

moniq

[USER][/USER]halee_J Your hair is beautiful. I always have to use heat after rollersetting. Maybe I need to get some mesh rollers, I only use the magnetic ones.

PureSilver

Yay for you. you did an excellent job, make me wanna go and get me some mesh rollers. I love big hair and those curls are just absolutely beautiful.

halee_J What products if any did you use in your hair before putting in the rollers