Meteorologist fired after responding to viewer who didn’t like her natural hair

Coffee

http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/meteorologist-fired-responding-viewer-natural-hair/

A black female meteorologist has been fired from the ABC affiliate in Shreveport, La., she told Journal-isms, because she responded to a racial remark posted by a viewer on the station’s Facebook page.
KTBS-TV’s action against Rhonda Lee followed a previous response by Lee to a viewer who questioned whether she should wear her short Afro, suggesting she put on a wig or grow more hair.
Yes, people. This hillbilly wrote in and said that they lady was nice enough, delivered the weather pretty accurately, but…she didn’t have enough hair for his taste.
On Oct. 1, a viewer identified as Emmitt Vascocu wrote, “the black lady that does the news is a very nice lady.the only thing is she needs to wear a wig or grow some more hair. im not sure if she is a cancer patient. but still its not something myself that i think looks good on tv. what about letting someone a male have waist long hair do the news.what about that (cq).” [SOURCE]
Here’s a photo of the woman in question:
Natural-hair wearing meteorologist, Rhonda Lee.

Take a look at this woman. She is divine.
Oh, but I bet I know what you’re thinking. Did Rhonda respond to the viewer’s email with neck-rolling coupled with tongue-lashing precision to his man-jewels? Nope.
Here’s what she wrote:
Hello Emmitt–I am the ‘black lady’ to which you are referring. I’m sorry you don’t like my ethnic hair. And no I don’t have cancer. I’m a non-smoking, 5’3, 121 lbs, 25 mile a week running, 37.5 year old woman, and I’m in perfectly healthy physical condition.
“I am very proud of my African-American ancestry which includes my hair. For your edification: traditionally our hair doesn’t grow downward. It grows upward. Many Black women use strong straightening agents in order to achieve a more European grade of hair and that is their choice. However in my case I don’t find it necessary. I’m very proud of who I am and the standard of beauty I display. Women come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and levels of beauty. Showing little girls that being comfortable in the skin and HAIR God gave me is my contribution to society. Little girls (and boys for that matter) need to see that what you look like isn’t a reason to not achieve their goals.
“Conforming to one standard isn’t what being American is about and I hope you can embrace that.
“Thank you for your comment and have a great weekend and thank for watching.”
And for that, she was fired. This woman embodied the composure, class and grace that we talk so much about, and she STILL got fired. She took the opportunity to have a “teachable moment” with someone completely ignorant of Afro-textured hair and got kicked in the teeth for it. This, to me, is wholly unacceptable. This is a pile of stinking dog ****. I hope that other members of the media will take up her cause (I’m looking at you Soledad O’Brien. Looking dead at you, Miss Black in America).
In ABC’s defense, they have an across-the-board policy that the talent not reply to emails. And hell, rules are rules, right? But what I bet ABC didn’t count on is the cluster-cuss about to rain down on them in 3…2…1….
What you see here ladies and gents, is what could be a national sensation that could spark a revolt. She’s about to be a martyr for the Natural Hair Movement.
Here’s the station’s contact info. Get busy. But before you do, here’s Ms. Lee’s Facebook page. Send her some good vibes.
KTBS
312 E. Kings Highway
Shreveport, Louisiana USA 71104
Main Number 318-861-5800
Newsroom 318-861-5880
318-219-4680 (fax) Email
Send Press Release to: Email
Station Manager
George Sirven 318-861-5821 Email
Community Affairs
Jan Elkins 318-861-5843 Email
Marketing/Production
Fair Hyams
318-861-5872 Email
News
Randy Bain 318-861-5880 Email
Sales(Local)
Linda Howard
318-861-5826 Email
Sales(Regional)
Mike Manard
318-861-5837 Email
Sales (New Media)
Patrick Denofrio 318-861-5896 Email
Sales (KPXJ CW21)
Chris Tingle 318-861-5820 Email
Texarkana
News Room 903-832-5827
903-838-2654 (fax) Email

Aviah

I just saw this on Facebook. Just signed the petition- she shouldn't have lost her job for that. Maybe I'm off here, but I don't see it being a racist remark that the article is making it out to be. :look:

Last edited:

Gobal

Yeah I also don't see how what the poster said was racist.. Very offensive, yes, but not racist. It's unacceptable that she lost her job over it though. She replied very professionally but I don't think she should've even wasted a breath on him

AmyRose92

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say she was racist. From what I can see, the lady's only gripe was that Rhonda's hair was short. She didn't specify her disliking the texture or "grade" of hair. That being said, although Rhonda was very classy and poise in her response, she assumed that the lady did not like her hair because it's not straight but that's not something that can be definitively assumed from the lady's post. I don't want to say she overreacted but she said more than what was necessary (even though I absolutely agree with everything she said and thought that it was beautifully written).

She definitely shouldn't have been fired for it though. :nono:

ETA: The company said she wasn't fired for her defending her appearance but for repeatedly violating company procedure. Supposedly they're not supposed to be reply to people who post on the official Facebook page of the news station...

Last edited:

Philippians413

I just saw this on Facebook. Just signed the petition- she shouldn't have lost her job for that. Maybe I'm off here, but I don't see it being a racist remark that the article is making it out to be. :look:

You're right. It's not racist, but it is sexist. That commentor thinks that women should have long hair and men should have short.

venusfly

The comment WAS ignorant and offensive but it was not racist.

She should NOT have been fired for responding.

But she also should NOT have bothered to respond.

Choose you battles WISELY....DON'T pull out a shotgun to kill a mosquito even if it's annoying as hell.

That being said, she SHOULD definitely raise hell to get her job back as that reaction is also using a shotgun to kill a mosquito.

DominicanBrazilian82

Yeah I also don't see how what the poster said was racist.. Very offensive, yes, but not racist. It's unacceptable that she lost her job over it though. She replied very professionally but I don't think she should've even wasted a breath on him

I agree. I think people need to desensitize themselves on some things. I don't feel that all "natural" women are 100% comfortable in their "natural" hair-set. Case in point. This young lady who is so proud of her heritage and culture feels it necessary to lower herself to this individual's level; regardless of race, color or gender. There are plenty of black women who are ignorant to natural haircare that may have made that comment to themselves or around friends before... I know I have; so the fact that he is a man that is white should have no bearing on 'why' she did it. When did it become our duty to educate people on our hair and why it does what it does, or why it is so beautiful. Why cant it just be that... Beautiful.

IMHO.

empressri

There was that other news reporter (white woman) who was called fat and all that nonsense and she replied to the message DURING THE NEWS and no one batted an eye.

It's like this...I'm pretty sure all of the political commentators get all sorts of messages, hell, I know they have it out for Bill Maher. To me, if you're in the public eye, you should know that people will scrutinize you within an inch of your life.

But who gives a damn? You won't met them, they won't meet you. Short of them threatening your life or livelihood, they can talk until they're blue in the face.

Now all of this crap, even though she responded politely.

Whatever happened to ignoring folks? Because I find that the people that are always the first ones to nitpick and go out of their way to tell another person what they don't like about them, are really the one with issues.

kandegirl

Dang, why my home town gotta make the news for some foolishness!!! I was in mass communications in high school too. I came in here seeing did I know the lady.
I hope and pray she gets a better job can show her short natural hair on national TV. Maybe she should have ignored her but sometimes I know you just want to put people in their place!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

Choose you battles WISELY....DON'T pull out a shotgun to kill a mosquito even if it's annoying as hell.

That being said, she SHOULD definitely raise hell to get her job back as that reaction is also using a shotgun to kill a mosquito.

ITA ^^^^

going to sign petition now,.,,,,,:yep:

IronButterfly

Everything you said is ON POINT! However, information I gathered from another post said she was fired for an "unwritten policy" stating on air talent are prohibited from responding to FB remarks. A policy for which she missed the discussion for because she happened to be absent the day the station held a meeting on said policy. Now this is the real issue. And if this is true (firing her for being ignorant of a "known unwritten policy"), then she should definitely look into the legal ramification of these actions.

Going forward, I hope she's learned one of life's little lessons: Don't errbody gots to like you and yo' hair! :lol:

empressri

Okay going further....they claim that she repeatedly violated some policy, of which she said she has never seen.

I believe it, I swear, I believe it. People make policies when some ish hits the fan when certain folks get offended. That's the way most new rules come about.

And they said that their employees are told how to deal with off the wall comments from others.

Let's me real...I'm looking at their fb page, how many folks are going to complain about the white bread there? What are they going to say, their hair is too straight? Too blonde? Their eyes too blue??

It's like I said-this WOC made waves and how dare she? Then more white bread started complaining and they didn't want to take the heat so they got rid of her. They can sing that song and dance about her violating the company's policy, but I don't believe that tripe for one minute.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

There was that other news reporter (white woman) who was called fat and all that nonsense and she replied to the message DURING THE NEWS and no one batted an eye.

It's like this...I'm pretty sure all of the political commentators get all sorts of messages, hell, I know they have it out for Bill Maher. To me, if you're in the public eye, you should know that people will scrutinize you within an inch of your life.

But who gives a damn? You won't met them, they won't meet you. Short of them threatening your life or livelihood, they can talk until they're blue in the face.

Whatever happened to ignoring folks? Because I find that the people that are always the first ones to nitpick and go out of their way to tell another person what they don't like about them, are really the one with issues.

I was just about to say how the white lady had made the news and talk shows. That's a darn shame.

Kinky4Agirl

She broke the rules and for that she should have been reprimanded in my opinion. she writes as if she is an intelligent, articulate, and well educated young woman. If this is the case, she should have known better than to break the rules of replying to an email. The email sounds like she was putting that young man in his place. There is no room for that in the TV world. If dismissal is the consequence for breaking the rules, then she got what she asked for. I hate that she got fired but rules are rules and as we all know... It's a dog eat dog world. We as black people walk a very tight rope in the work place and there is no room for stupid mistakes like this.

IronButterfly

Direct quote from online article:
Bain released a statement Tuesday confirming that both Lee and an unidentified white employee were fired for allegedly violating the station’s protocol, which he said was “commonly used” by both local stations and networks nationwide.
Raw Story (http://s.tt/1wHSq)

Looks like there is equal opportunity firing going on at this station.

Regarding the fat news lady who made a rebuttal on camera:
1. I am fairly certain she got permission from the station to do so.
2. Her rebuttal was in direct response to being called fat.

Those two factors are missing from the black meterologist's response. She responded on the bases of race when in fact the comment made about her hair was simply about having short hair. These two stories are apples and oranges.

venusfly

just saying tho....There's fighting words (like if he had said "that nappy headed black ****").....and then there's stuff you just kiss your teeth, roll your eyes, have a moment in your head where you fantasize about **** slapping somebody and then you shrug and keep it moving....and keep your job and your paycheck....

MonPetite

Why is it that I have to desensitize myself to life just to exist as a sane Black woman?

Two young, white men verbally and almost physically assaulted me two weeks because they didn't like my hair. I was alone on campus, after an evening class --witnesses around, but they didn't care.

I have a 2-3" TWA, that shrinks to 1" when dry.

I didn't "lower" myself and respond to them.

(Mainly because if I had made eye contact, they would have pounced.)

They raged and screamed, came within seven inches of me screaming: "You, yeah YOU! You hear me?! I know you hear me f*****!"

I just took it.

You know...quietly, and gently (like a mule should?).

That was a victory, yes?

Being elegantly helpless, yes?

Walking tall...mute...I did well, yes?

If that was a victory, it didn't feel like one.

This recent experience makes it hard for me to comment about her actions.

empressri

Why is it that I have to desensitize myself to life just to exist as a sane Black woman?

Two young, white men verbally and almost physically assaulted me two weeks because they didn't like my hair. I was alone on campus, after an evening class --witnesses around, but they didn't care.

I have a 2-3" TWA, that shrinks to 1" when dry.

I didn't "lower" myself and respond to them.

(Mainly because if I had made eye contact, they would have pounced.)

They raged and screamed, came within seven inches of me screaming: "You, yeah YOU! You hear me?! I know you hear me f*****!"

I just took it.

You know...quietly, and gently (like a mule should?).

That was a victory, yes?

Being elegantly helpless, yes?

Walking tall...mute...I did well, yes?

If that was a victory, it didn't feel like one.

This recent experience makes it hard for me to comment about her actions.

that is something else, and they deserved to have their @$$es handed to them, point blank. had you been with a man they wouldnt have pulled that crap, i bet you.

Lucky's Mom

Well - her response was the thing. silence is GOLDEN sometimes.... she could just Rock on with her bad self....
I am so with her on knowing that these remarks were Blatent.... IN Other words - we all know the First Lady better not EVAH give up the pressing comb....
But......
She did not have to defend herself. Let someone else do so... LIKE ALL OF US.

Lucky's Mom

She broke the rules and for that she should have been reprimanded in my opinion. she writes as if she is an intelligent, articulate, and well educated young woman. If this is the case, she should have known better than to break the rules of replying to an email. The email sounds like she was putting that young man in his place. There is no room for that in the TV world. If dismissal is the consequence for breaking the rules, then she got what she asked for. I hate that she got fired but rules are rules and as we all know... It's a dog eat dog world. We as black people walk a very tight rope in the work place and there is no room for stupid mistakes like this.

:yep: YES. I am sure that plenty of On Air personalities get lots of awful things said about them. I am almost sure that since the dawn of Social Media - These folks are warned about answering or acknowledging DRAMA. This - was drama.... She should have kept her thoughts to herself.... And... Sometimes we are not the ones who have to defend....

Lucky's Mom

And THERE IT IS.

momi

From my understanding she was fired for violating company policy... along with a caucasian man at the same station.

It's kind of muddy because the policy was actually "official" since it was an email communication...

Last edited: