When rollersetting

Lilmama1011

Do you start at the ends with the roller (or flexi rod or whatever rollers you use)or start in the middle of the hair and wrap the ends around and continue to roll up?

LdyKamz

When I roller set I always start at the end but my hair is shorter. Using hard rollers I wonder how you could start in the middle since the end should be flat and smooth against the roller right? I once saw a girl on youtube start from the middle but she was yt and it didn't really affect the curl when she was done. I don't know about flexi rods. never tried but will be this weekend so I'm curious about this too. Almost everyone uses a different technique on youtube.

Blairx0

I start at the end but I am looking to add more tension. Maybe I will try mid way up

Sent from my PC36100 using LHCF

hillytmj

I've done it both ways. Depending on your length and if your arms get tired easily, you might consider putting the roller in the middle and wrapping the ends around. However, I generally prefer starting the ends because they come out smoother once everything is dry.

DominicanBrazilian82

I do it Dominican style. If you want body, roll under, for tension (straighter roots) roll over. Let me explain. For body, section your hair into five vertical sections. Begin with the middle section and take your first 1 inch section and detangle with a rat tail comb; combing forward and up. Place the roller on your very ends, smooth and roll down; assuring that you roll shorter hairs as you make your way down. Clip with your metal clips on both sides making sure you attach the clips directly to your roots, repeat. I always use the Mohawk method: Do your hair in five sections. Middle section first, outside sections (2), and then inside sections (2). Always be sure to comb your hair up and forward for body (even as you make your way to the back).

For straighter roots, section your hair into five vertical sections. Begin with the middle section and take your first 1-inch section and detangle with a rat tail comb; combing back and up. Place the roller on your very ends, smooth and roll down; assuring that you roll shorter hairs as you make your way down. Clip with your metal clips on both sides making sure you attach the clips directly to your roots, repeat. Continue to follow the Mohawk method.

The difference in the methods is the direction you comb your hair. Combing forward allows you to prepare to roll under for body. Combing back allows you to prepare to roll over for straighter roots and less body. Be sure to comb from root to tip to assure a smooth set and a straighter outcome.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

mmeadows1

4b natural, APL
This is really helpful. Thanks.
Melissa

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
I do it Dominican style. If you want body, roll under, for tension (straighter roots) roll over. Let me explain. For body, section your hair into five vertical sections. Begin with the middle section and take your first 1 inch section and detangle with a rat tail comb; combing forward and up. Place the roller on your very ends, smooth and roll down; assuring that you roll shorter hairs as you make your way down. Clip with your metal clips on both sides making sure you attach the clips directly to your roots, repeat. I always use the Mohawk method: Do your hair in five sections. Middle section first, outside sections (2), and then inside sections (2). Always be sure to comb your hair up and forward for body (even as you make your way to the back).

For straighter roots, section your hair into five vertical sections. Begin with the middle section and take your first 1-inch section and detangle with a rat tail comb; combing back and up. Place the roller on your very ends, smooth and roll down; assuring that you roll shorter hairs as you make your way down. Clip with your metal clips on both sides making sure you attach the clips directly to your roots, repeat. Continue to follow the Mohawk method.

The difference in the methods is the direction you comb your hair. Combing forward allows you to prepare to roll under for body. Combing back allows you to prepare to roll over for straighter roots and less body. Be sure to comb from root to tip to assure a smooth set and a straighter outcome.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF