Coolwayhair.com

Katrice

In Allure magazine coolway was featured as a beauty breakthrough. The system (product plus flat iron) straightens hair al lower temperatures than a regular iron. It was also on hsn.

www.coolwayhair.com

Has anyone tried this?

manter26

All of them, even the type 2s, look like they flat ironed at a low heat setting- ie it doesn't look bone straight to me. I don't think there's anything novel about this. No one needs to go up to 400+ to straighten. I use my Maxiglide between a 4-5 (I can't remember what temp that is but the highest is 10) and my natural hair gets as straight as this, maybe straighter.

I'll pass.

LaidBak

I read about this Allure as well. I was intrigued, but I already keep my flat iron below 302 degrees because all I'm doing is styling, not straightening (I'm relaxed). I would love a special flat iron that could do it at an even lower temp, but I'm not paying $145 for it.

yardyspice

It seems that this "technology" is based on westndbeauty's theory that moisturized hair straightens easier and stays straight longer. Based on this video, you definitely don't need this flat iron.

The Science Behind the breakthrough:
Locking Moisture in your hair!

Damage Cycle The secret to great-looking hair is all about hydration. Achieving the proper moisture content within hair makes it look full, healthy, and strong, while preventing humidity and frizz. Smoothing products that coat hair with Silicone don't offer long-term results, because they evaporate quickly and do not keep the hair hydrated. Many women also resort to hot tools to tame hair and eliminate frizz. This creates long-term damage as studies show that high heat styling done always at over 320°F evaporates moisture from hair, causing hair to break and become dry and brittle.

°Coolway created a Moisture Lock™ system, and a completely different approach to styling hair with a Patent pending °Coolway Transform Spray and AutoSense Styler. Hair transformation begins with the Coolway Transform Spray that works by infusing moisture deeply into your hair, locking in hydration so hair is always moisturized. Transform also allows you to style your hair using low heat under 299°F at the precise temperature for your hair needs, ensuring you do not damage your hair with high heat tools. With more moisture in your hair, blow drying time is cut in half as heat is now transferred efficiently through the hair.

Smooth, damage-free results are guaranteed with the °Coolway AutoSense Styler that uses low heat, always below 299°F, proven non damaging for all hair types. Unlike typical (and damaging) flat irons working at temperatures of over 400°F, the AutoSense Styler low heat does not evaporate the moisture within hair. Instead, it measures hair’s moisture level and automatically sets to the correct temperature, working to seal in moisture while styling and protecting the hair. With °Coolway, Your hair will be fuller, healthier, stronger, and frizz-free.

faithVA

Maybe over time some 4's will review the product online somewhere.

Since I've never owned a flat iron and it has a 30 day moneyback, I may try it when I hit SL. Nothing to lose. I doubt if it straightens my 4b :ohwell:

outspokenwallflower

Katrice

I tried it for the first time today. Mind you, I'm have relaxed 4b hair. I normally use my flat iron on 350-360 degrees.

First off, I really like their 'Transform' spray. It easily detangled my hair and made it feel soft; the smell is lovely and I like the ingredients. I used between 25-30 sprays (they tell you how much you should use depending on your hair length, I have chin length layers and my longest length is a bit above my shoulder). I air dried to about 50 % and used my blow dryer for the rest of the way.

My little beef with this system is their specific 'requirements' or what they advise to get the results they advertise. Dry hair to 90% dry, do not over dry your hair. How the hell am I supposed to know what is 90% dry? They also state that Coolway should not be used on dry hair...Huh? There's no way I'm putting an iron to wet hair. I read over it a few more times and have just made the assumption that if you use it again to touch up your hair, you need to spray just a bit of the Transform product so the iron can detect what temp to use.

As for the Auto-Sense styler, it detected that my ideal temp at the time was 293 (I really thought it was going to be the maximum 299, I'm quite a few weeks post relaxer). I like that everytime you use it, it changes the temp depending on the moisture content at that time. I wound up getting my hair silky straight as I would if I were to use my regular iron at my regular temp. However, I wonder if the Transform spray is the true gem of the system and if I could acquire similar results by using just that product and setting my iron at, say, 300 degrees top.

Anywhoo, altogether, the results were nice, although I think with any flat iron, technique plays a HUGE part. What I'm most interested in seeing, is if using Coolway for a long period of time will really 1) improve the health of my hair; 2) Significantly reduce reversion 3) As they stated on their website, would allow relaxed ladies to lower how often they relax or eliminate them altogether because of the long lasting results. They recommend using a non SLS shampoo so that you don't wash out the results of Coolway. It almost seems like a BKT without the chemicals or high heat upon initial application.

If anyone has questions, let me know!

ETA: I called CS to initially order, and they had it available on 3 pay so I've only paid about $50 to 'try' it, and if I don't like it, I could still get a refund due to the 30 day guarantee.

Last edited:

Katrice

Outspokenwallflower does your hair feel different compared to your normal flat iron routine? Less dry?

outspokenwallflower

My hair feels the same, maybe a bit less dry. I might've 'overdried' it, but I wouldn't even know how to stop at 90% dry or know what it feels like! This weekend I'm going to try the spray with my flat iron and set the temp at 300 degrees.

It might feel less dry than normal simply because I blow dried it on the 2nd hottest setting (as opposed to the usual third) and was flat ironed at a temp of 293 (as opposed to my usual 350-360).

hunter4800

I read about this Allure as well. I was intrigued, but I already keep my flat iron below 302 degrees because all I'm doing is styling, not straightening (I'm relaxed). I would love a special flat iron that could do it at an even lower temp, but I'm not paying $145 for it.

You don't have to. The working agent is the Transform Spray, which you can use with your own blow dryer and any low heat flat iron. They sell it separately. They recommend the Boost Serum if you're a first time user to jump start your results until your hair stays moisturized. The spray allows you to get the great results at the low temperature. I stopped conditioning my hair all together since I've started using this system. The transform spray prevents frizz and split ends and it doesn't weigh your hair down at all.

hunter4800

It seems that this "technology" is based on westndbeauty's theory that moisturized hair straightens easier and stays straight longer. Based on this video, you definitely don't need this flat iron.

Yes -- it is based on the technology that moisturized hair styles easier. The problem is that with regular hair products I've tried, they either weigh down my hair or make it feel greasy, or evaporate causing major frizz. The transform spray (which is all you really need and can use with your own low heat flat iron - although I do love theirs because it's burn free) is what puts the moisture into your hair and seals it in for extended periods of time. It doesn't evaporate in a few hours like other products so your hair isn't pulling in moisture from the humidity causing your hair to frizz. I highly recommend!

hunter4800

@Katrice

I tried it for the first time today. Mind you, I'm have relaxed 4b hair. I normally use my flat iron on 350-360 degrees.

First off, I really like their 'Transform' spray. It easily detangled my hair and made it feel soft; the smell is lovely and I like the ingredients. I used between 25-30 sprays (they tell you how much you should use depending on your hair length, I have chin length layers and my longest length is a bit above my shoulder). I air dried to about 50 % and used my blow dryer for the rest of the way.

My little beef with this system is their specific 'requirements' or what they advise to get the results they advertise. Dry hair to 90% dry, do not over dry your hair. How the hell am I supposed to know what is 90% dry? They also state that Coolway should not be used on dry hair...Huh? There's no way I'm putting an iron to wet hair. I read over it a few more times and have just made the assumption that if you use it again to touch up your hair, you need to spray just a bit of the Transform product so the iron can detect what temp to use.

As for the Auto-Sense styler, it detected that my ideal temp at the time was 293 (I really thought it was going to be the maximum 299, I'm quite a few weeks post relaxer). I like that everytime you use it, it changes the temp depending on the moisture content at that time. I wound up getting my hair silky straight as I would if I were to use my regular iron at my regular temp. However, I wonder if the Transform spray is the true gem of the system and if I could acquire similar results by using just that product and setting my iron at, say, 300 degrees top.

Anywhoo, altogether, the results were nice, although I think with any flat iron, technique plays a HUGE part. What I'm most interested in seeing, is if using Coolway for a long period of time will really 1) improve the health of my hair; 2) Significantly reduce reversion 3) As they stated on their website, would allow relaxed ladies to lower how often they relax or eliminate them altogether because of the long lasting results. They recommend using a non SLS shampoo so that you don't wash out the results of Coolway. It almost seems like a BKT without the chemicals or high heat upon initial application.

If anyone has questions, let me know!

ETA: I called CS to initially order, and they had it available on 3 pay so I've only paid about $50 to 'try' it, and if I don't like it, I could still get a refund due to the 30 day guarantee.

When I first started to use mine -- my temp was at 290 - every time I use it consistently with the tranform spray, the temperature auto setting goes down lower and lower. I assume from my hair becoming more moisturized. I no longer get frizz, ever. I even stopped conditioning my hair. I saw they had a contest on their facebook page for a free kit. I entered for my sister!

hunter4800

in the long run, I've spent more money on keratin treatments trying to undo the damage I have caused using my Chi high heat professional straightener.

Solitude

Just turn the heat down on your flatiron & straighten in small sections with any iron for similar results.

....I use my flat iron at 280 degrees. Nexxus makes a spray that works well and there is another one by Nioxin called Thermal bliss or something.

Last edited: