Are you newly natural & frustrated? Here are a few tips all in one place!

AFashionSlave

"Old head" naturals please list your hair stats and tips & suggestions for the natural newbies here.

Here are my hair stats:
Name: AFashionSlave
Hair Type: Nappy 4A/4B (with stray curly and wavy pieces mixed in)
Hair Length: 10-12” from root to tip (Last time I measured it was a couple of months ago)
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/AFashionSlave/
Album password: nappyhair

AFashionSlave’s Newbie Hair Tips:
*You do not have to spend a ton of money on shampoos and conditioners. Health stores and drug stores offer great affordable replacements for expensive salon brands.

*Learn to master one hairstyle and wear that one until you can figure out new ways to wear your hair. When I first went natural I wore roller sets for a long time until I figured out how to wear twists & twist-outs.

*I love the K-cutter and Denman D4 brush. They have helped me tremendously. Maybe they will work for you.

*Yes your hair is manageable – if it is not, then you are probably doing something wrong.

*Your hair may not be one texture all over. Some naturals have several dramatic texture differences throughout their hair.

*Scab hair does exist for some but not all.

*If you learn to accept your hair texture it will be a lot easier for you to stay natural. Example: If you are a wavy headed “Ananda Lewis” type napptural then chances are that wearing a Ludacris type fro will be very hard for you to do.

*Pressing and flat ironing can destroy your naps permanently. Use extreme heat with caution. Some naturals have great luck pressing their hair on a regular basis – I am not one of those naturals. Too much heat breaks my hair off.

*You do not need to use a blow dryer with a comb attachment every time you washing & condition. Banding, twisting, braiding, roller setting and buns are great ways to stretch your natural hair during the drying process.

….anybody else have any tips for the newbies?

Country gal

Great thread

I will post later once I had time to think.

Surrond yourself with women who have positive thoughts of their natural hair (LHCF and Nappurality)

Just note your hair is what it is. You shouldn't compare your hair to others. They have unique DNA.

Take it one month at a time. Each month you remain a natural , you become stronger and confident in your napptural life.

AFashionSlave

Country gal said:
Great thread

I will post later once I had time to think.

Surrond yourself with women who have positive thoughts of their natural hair (LHCF and Nappurality)

Just note your hair is what it is. You shouldn't compare your hair to others. They have unique DNA.

Take it one month at a time. Each month you remain a natural , you become stronger and confident in your napptural life.

Don't forget your hair stats. I know that it's important for newbies to see others with hair types and lengths that are similar to their own.

jainygirl

I like this thread :). I'm not an old-head yet but I want to contribute :grin: .

Name: Jainygirl
Hair Type: 4B
BC'ed: November 2004
Hair Length: 4 - 5 inches from root to tip
Album Link: http://public.fotki.com/Tryce/me_and_the_napps/page3.html
Album password: no password

**Definitely surround yourself with positive info on natural hair.

**Take time to play with your hair as soon as possible after your BC. For instance putting your hair in braids right after the BC may be convenient but you'll only have more hair to 'learn' when you take them out eventually in a month or so.

**It's best to learn what products work or dont work on your hair before you are overwhelmed with a head full of natural hair. Start playing around with products and routines right after the BC. Let your knowledge of your hair grow as it gains length. Dont set yourself up for the fall by planning to 'get to all that later'.

**It's normal to be unsure of how to take care of your natural hair at first. Take your time and learn how. Practice makes perfect. Most of us took much time and energy to properly care for our hair when we had relaxers so why not make the same effort to learn to take care of your natural hair.

**Shea butter really IS good :).

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! Fashion,I can't believe I've never seen your album b4!!! Your hair is beautiful, and I especially love your fros. Bless you for this!:)

CarefreeinChicago

AFashionSlave Great thread I have your album saved ...I view it all the time.....I am glad you mentioned rollersets I would like to try them because i like the twist out for weekends but would love to try rollersets for the work week so any rollerseting tips would be welcomed

Name: Kinchen
Hair Type: 4 A/B
BC'ed: Dec 2004
Hair Length:5 inches from root to tip
Album password: HealthyHair

caligirl

Most def get yourself a K Cutter comb and Denman D3 brush. I don't care how nappy your hair is, these tools will make it manageable.

Stormy

Oh good thread! I'm transitioning, and I'd like some tips on tangling, and if any of you have two textures how do you deal with this? My hair is extra wavy in the back and shrinks up A LOT. The front has looser waves, and doesn't shrink up as much.

AFashionSlave

jainygirl said:
I like this thread :). I'm not an old-head yet but I want to contribute :grin: .

Name: Jainygirl
Hair Type: 4B
BC'ed: November 2004
Hair Length: 4 - 5 inches from root to tip
Album Link: http://public.fotki.com/Tryce/me_and_the_napps/page3.html
Album password: no password

**Definitely surround yourself with positive info on natural hair.

**Take time to play with your hair as soon as possible after your BC. For instance putting your hair in braids right after the BC may be convenient but you'll only have more hair to 'learn' when you take them out eventually in a month or so.

**It's best to learn what products work or dont work on your hair before you are overwhelmed with a head full of natural hair. Start playing around with products and routines right after the BC. Let your knowledge of your hair grow as it gains length. Dont set yourself up for the fall by planning to 'get to all that later'.

**It's normal to be unsure of how to take care of your natural hair at first. Take your time and learn how. Practice makes perfect. Most of us took much time and energy to properly care for our hair when we had relaxers so why not make the same effort to learn to take care of your natural hair.

**Shea butter really IS good :).

LOL! You are very comfortable with your napptural hair so therfore you are an old head napptual!!!

AFashionSlave

natalied said:
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! Fashion,I can't believe I've never seen your album b4!!! Your hair is beautiful, and I especially love your fros. Bless you for this!:)

Thanks so much natalied!
I don't post very much on hair boards anymore so that's probably why you have not seen my album.

caligirl

@Stormy:

For the two textures, I use my KCutter Comb. I start detangling at the ends and work my way up. I might even turn the comb side ways and just use one of the teeth to pick open a knot.

AFashionSlave

kinchen said:
AFashionSlave Great thread I have your album saved ...I view it all the time.....I am glad you mentioned rollersets I would like to try them because i like the twist out for weekends but would love to try rollersets for the work week so any rollerseting tips would be welcomed

Name: Kinchen
Hair Type: 4 A/B
BC'ed: Dec 2004
Hair Length:5 inches from root to tip
Album password: HealthyHair

I use medium size rollers for a curly look. Here's a pic:
http://public.fotki.com/AFashionSla...tos/hair_pics/natural_hair_album/roller_sets/

Sometimes I use large (about 1 3/4" in diameter) rollers to stretch my hair while drying. I don't have a pic of that yet.

The trick to a good roller set is to smooth the hair around the roller nice and taut. You also should wait until the hair is bone dry before removing the rollers. Do a search on this board for roller setting tips. There should be a ton of them.

cafe au lait

Thanks to all you ladies for the tips. I am newly natural so I need all the help I can get. I don't know what a K- cutter or a denman 3 or 4 brush looks like. I just use a medium size comb.

AFashionSlave

cafe au lait said:
Thanks to all you ladies for the tips. I am newly natural so I need all the help I can get. I don't know what a K- cutter or a denman 3 or 4 brush looks like. I just use a medium size comb.

Here's a denman D4

Here's a K-Cutter comb:

Shatani

Here are my hair stats:
Name: Shatani
Hair Type: Nappy 4A/4B
Hair Length: 12-15 inches from root to tip
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/Shatani/
Album password: querida

My Tips:
* natural hair does not enjoy being combed. its not necessary to do so every day.
* nappy is not a curseword. embrace your nappiness. wear it out!
* like AFS, i LOVE my k-cutter comb!
* take tips on products and techniques from people whose hair looks like yours
* you dont have to jump on EVERY fad bandwagon
* ive learned that hair grows when you let it be.

AFashionSlave

Shatani said:
Here are my hair stats:
Name: Shatani
Hair Type: Nappy 4A/4B
Hair Length: 12-15 inches from root to tip
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/Shatani/
Album password: querida

My Tips:
* natural hair does not enjoy being combed. its not necessary to do so every day.
* nappy is not a curseword. embrace your nappiness. wear it out!
* like AFS, i LOVE my k-cutter comb!
* take tips on products and techniques from people whose hair looks like yours
* you dont have to jump on EVERY fad bandwagon
* ive learned that hair grows when you let it be.

I had no idea that you had that much hair!!!
WOW!!

Shatani

AFashionSlave said:
I had no idea that you had that much hair!!!
WOW!!
yeah, i dont have any recent pictures.....the back has gotten VERY long....but the top is still playing catch up....

brittanynic16

Here are my hair stats:
Name: Brittany
Hair Type: 4A
Hair Length: 7 to 8 inches
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/brittanynic16/

My Tips:
* shea butter & Salerm are a nappy woman's dream
* the shower comb is wonderful tool
* your hair can and will grow
* your hair is beautiful and please don't anyone tell you different

cafe au lait

AFashionSlave said:
Here's a denman D4

Here's a K-Cutter comb:

Thanks Afashionslave. I have that brush. I put it away because I thought brushing afro/relaxed hair was a no no.
I will try to get the comb. I am so out of the loop. This is the first time I am seeing that comb(K-Cutter) in my life. :ohwell:

Shatani

cafe au lait said:
Thanks Afashionslave. I have that brush. I put it away because I thought brushing afro/relaxed hair was a no no.
I will try to get the comb. I am so out of the loop. This is the first time I am seeing that comb(K-Cutter) in my life. :ohwell:
girl, you will CHERISH this day once you use that comb!!!! and combing and brushing our hair is okay if its done correctly (slathered in conditioner and going from ends to root) and not too often.....

Victorian

old head
Not really an "old head" yet, but here are my stats anyway:

Name: BlackCardinal
Hair Type: 4a
Length: 8"
Album: LHCF gallery (or see link in siggy)

Words of advice:
*Regarding Regimens: Keep it simple.
*Regarding Products: Less is more.
*Regarding Growth (at the root): A clean scalp is a happy scalp :)
*Regarding Growth (retention): Cleanse, strengthen, moisturize.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Woohoo! Afashionslave does it again! :notworthy :yay: :woot: I can't wait til my twa gets to even 1/2 your length! :lol:

babyblue

Good thread!

Name: babyblue
Hair Type: 4A/4B
Hair Length: not sure of total lenght in inches but i am a few inches past bra strap.
Album Link:http://public.fotki.com/browneyedgrl/
Album password: blue

my tips:
*always comb while hair is damp with large wide tooth combs only
*avoid heating appliances as much as possible. If you must use heat use on low settings. too much extreme heat can cause limp, straight looking strands.
*dont overdo it with the hair products. product buildup will make your hair unmanagable.
*keep your routine simple
*stay away from those products that promise quick growth
*Keep your hair and scalp clean regularly. hair is like a plant, it loves water
*condition, condition, condition!
*remember that just because so and so did_____ and has hair to her ankles, that does not mean that it will work for you also.
*surround yourselves with people who support natural hair

Last edited: