African American-favored shampoos DELIBERATELY MADE with HIGH AMOUNTS OF ESTROGEN!!!

MJ

I read the article Nay listed as one of the reason why she gave up CON shampoos and conditioners. I read it and this is one of the thing mentioned.

Shampoos that Purposely Contain Very High Amounts of Estrogen

African Americans favored shampoos with clinically active high doses of estrogen. They also used them on their children. In 1998 Tiwary, now retired, published a study of four girls - including a 14-month-old - who developed breasts or pubic hair months after beginning to use such products. The symptoms started to disappear when they stopped using them. The year before, he published a study showing that some of the products used by his patients contained up to one milligram (1 mg) of estradiol per one ounce of shampoo. By comparison a normal adult topical skin dose for estradiol is 0.02-0.05 mg/day. This means that one ounce of shampoo contains 50 times the daily ADULT dose of estradiol. A small handful of this shampoo on your child every day may give her OR HIM breasts! See the article here. http://www.fibroid101.com/shampoo.htm

When will it end, when will all the racist bs end? :nono::( :mad:

Nay

Girl, that article and some of the other things regarding products in general and the ingredients that are used in them have got me really thinking that there is some conspiracy to keep folks sick and unhealthy, period!

And I'll tell you something else. Since I stopped using products with those synthetic preservatives in them over the last month and a half (along with some other changes), I have been feeling a whole lot "different." I don't feel bloaty anymore. My stomach has gone back to its flat sexy size :D My period has gotten lighter. I just feel healthier. It's hard to explain.

I'll go more in depth later maybe after some more time passes and I continue to see changes that I can directly relate to eliminating certain products from my life.

Angelicus

Wow, I always knew this and brushed it off until I started getting lumps all over the place. But what can I do? Natural stuff like Aubreys smell bad to me.

What about my dominican stuff? Is that evil too? What preservative should I look for?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Nay said:
Girl, that article and some of the other things regarding products in general and the ingredients that are used in them have got me really thinking that there is some conspiracy to keep folks sick and unhealthy, period!

That's exactly how I feel! Why would a shampoo need estrogen???

Ms Red

Is there a definitive list out there outlining which products to avoid? I'd like to evaluate how much of it I am using. Thanks.

Tanelions

I would like to know too. This is some serious business. There are so many products that use similar ingredients. When I go to the store this morning I will pick me up some aubreys, I have been wanting to try this since Nay's aubreys thread.

jasmin

African Americans favored shampoos with clinically active high doses of estrogen.

Why would we favor this. Speak for yourself. I don't think most of us knew there were high amounts of estrogen in these products.

Cichelle

Re: African American-favored shampoos DELIBERATELY MADE with HIGH AMOUNTS OF ESTROGEN

"The following is a list of products that have previously been found to contain hormones:

Placenta Shampoo, Queen Helene Placenta cream hair conditioner, Placenta revitalizing shampoo, Perm Repair with placenta, Proline Perm Repair with placenta, Hormone hair food Jajoba oil, Triple action super grow, Supreme Vita-Gro, Luster’s Sur Glo Hormone, B & B Super Gro, Lekair natural Super Glo, Lekair Hormone hair treatment with Vitamin E, Isoplus Hormone hair treatment wit Quinine, Fermodyl with Placenta hair conditioner, Supreme Vita-Gro with allantoin and estrogen plus TEA-COCO, Hask Placenta Hair conditioner, Nu Skin body smoother and Nu Skin Enhancer.

The majority of these products contain placental extract, placenta, hormones or estrogen..."

From this link:
http://newpittsburghcourier.com/index.php?article=10522

I don't think this is a complete list. In general it looks like "placenta" conditioner and shampoos are suspect.

Supastar

I also heard this before. To take it step further, I heard that perms/relaxers are also responsible for this. When I told a few people about this they laughed, but I guess this is no laughing matter that has some merit.

Tanelions

Re: African American-favored shampoos DELIBERATELY MADE with HIGH AMOUNTS OF ESTROGEN

Cichelle said:
"The following is a list of products that have previously been found to contain hormones:

Placenta Shampoo, Queen Helene Placenta cream hair conditioner, Placenta revitalizing shampoo, Perm Repair with placenta, Proline Perm Repair with placenta, Hormone hair food Jajoba oil, Triple action super grow, Supreme Vita-Gro, Luster’s Sur Glo Hormone, B & B Super Gro, Lekair natural Super Glo, Lekair Hormone hair treatment with Vitamin E, Isoplus Hormone hair treatment wit Quinine, Fermodyl with Placenta hair conditioner, Supreme Vita-Gro with allantoin and estrogen plus TEA-COCO, Hask Placenta Hair conditioner, Nu Skin body smoother and Nu Skin Enhancer.

The majority of these products contain placental extract, placenta, hormones or estrogen..."

From this link:

I don't think this is a complete list. In general it looks like "placenta" conditioner and shampoos are suspect.

Thanks Cichelle

MJ

African Americans favored shampoos with clinically active high doses of estrogen.

jasmin said:
Why would we favor this. Speak for yourself. I don't think most of us knew there were high amounts of estrogen in these products.

I don't think it's so much that we "favor" as much as those products are marketed as being good/right/better for black hair types and we buy it.

I agree! Sick and unhappy people spend more and BUY MORE. Is all amount the mullah! :mad:

hottopic

thank You For Sharing This Information. I Feel Robbed Of My Youth. It's Like They Never Even Gave Us A Chance. This Is Truly The Land Of Open Face Racism.

MJ

More Info:

Edited to add: more articles on

TOXIC COSMETIC PRODUCTS MARKETED TO AFRICAN AMERICANS

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/site/pp.asp?c=kwKXLdPaE&b=734929

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/Chemicals-Women-Personal-Care.htm

http://www.center4research.org/children11.html
The mean onset age for breast development was 8.9 years for African-American girls and 10.0 for white girls. Pubic hair onset began at age 8.8 for African-American girls and 10.5 for white girls. Axillary hair appeared at the average age of 10.1 in African-American girls and 11.8 in white girls. All of the characteristics emerged significantly earlier in African-American girls both with and without controlling for height and weight....

We don’t know what causes the disparity between white and African-American girls. A number of previous studies in the US have noticed earlier development and larger pre-pubertal size of African-American girls compared to white girls. Several studies in the 1970s and 80s found African-American girls to be taller, heavier, and maturing earlier than white girls their age...

In addition to their differing size, another hypothesis about the racial discrepancy is that hair products used by African-Americans that contain estrogen or placenta may be increasing the prevalence of early puberty...

The long-term health risks of early puberty also deserve attention. It has already been demonstrated that girls who begin menstruating at a very young age have an increased risk of developing breast cancer as adults, so it is certainly possible that earlier onset of puberty may also put girls at greater risk of breast cancer...

There is research evidence that early puberty may put young girls at risk for emotional and social problems that could be devastating. Maturing young girls will have to cope with their own confusing sexual feelings as well as the impact that their maturing appearance has on boys and men...

http://www.wpxi.com/health/4204594/detail.html
African-American women under the age of 40 get breast cancer at twice the rate of white women in the same age group...

One local researcher is investigating to see if there may be a link between those cancers and hair care products used by African-American women.

http://www.garynull.com/Documents/erf/girls_are_reaching_puberty_early.htm
The new PEDIATRICS study found that, at age 7, 27.2% of African- American girls, and 6.7% of white girls had either breast or pubic hair development; by age 8, 48.3% of African-American girls and 14.7% of white girls had one or both of these characteristics. The study also found that 1% of whites and 3% of African-Americans had such characteristics at age 3...

The PEDIATRICS study suggests that environmental chemicals that mimic estrogens might be involved. The authors point to a small study of 10 girls who entered puberty early as a result of exposure to hair-care products that had estrogenic properties.[6] They suggest that other well-known estrogenic chemicals, such as PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) should be studied to see if they are implicated in early- onset puberty...

http://www.westonaprice.org/causticcommentary/cc2001wi.html
The study found that 21 percent of African-American boys had developed pubic hair before their tenth birthday. Researchers speculate that exposure to environmental chemicals that mimic estrogens

This one has info on carcinogens in cosmetics including MAC
http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/fda060104.cfm

http://www.ecologycenter.org/erc/petroleum/body.html

I feel sick...:crying3: :barf: :ill:

Last edited:

Queenie

Nay said:

And I'll tell you something else. Since I stopped using products with those synthetic preservatives in them over the last month and a half (along with some other changes), I have been feeling a whole lot "different." I don't feel bloaty anymore. My stomach has gone back to its flat sexy size :D My period has gotten lighter. I just feel healthier. It's hard to explain.

I'll go more in depth later maybe after some more time passes and I continue to see changes that I can directly relate to eliminating certain products from my life.

I agree. I'm allergic to a common food preservative.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection

Cichelle said:

From this link:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not my Hask Placenta Hair conditioner!!!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Nay said:

Awwww you cant leave us hanging. Do share. :)

HoneyDew

Well I take phytoestrogen supplements to help make my periods regular and to help with PMS. I did not want to take a pill or subscribed meds. Is that the same?

Anyway, they make me feel better, in general, but I do worry about cancer with prolonged use, though. This makes me worry even more but my PMS is like a sickness. I can spend a week being depressed and sad or wanting to break up with my boyfriend. I know that's what PMS does, but mine is so bad that it shuts me down and I have a hard time working and taking care of my responsibilites. My phytoestrogen supps help but I am afraid of the side effects after reading all of this stuff.

By the way, I take thngs like saw palmetto and Mexican Wild Yam and they are considered phytoestrogen. It does scare me. I am going to talk more to my doc about this.

Cichelle

HoneyDew, I think phytoestrogens block the "bad" estrogens by binding to the estrogen receptors in your body. I am obviously not a scientist, but check with your doctor. Some people believe phytoestrogens are protective.

Nay

Enchantmt said:
Awwww you cant leave us hanging. Do share. :)

In a few months when I go back for a follow-up appointment with my doctor, when he examines me and does the ultrasound and tells me that my fibroid has either shrunk or (even better) has disappeared. THEN I will know without a doubt that there was a correlation with what I was putting in/on my body and developing this darn fibroid.

But as of today, I have already experienced the dramatic changes that I already mentioned. And I feel that FOR ME cutting out these products was a big plus in my life healthwise.

Now, everybody is different. Some people may never have problems no matter what they use. But if anyone on this site has already experienced some of these health problems, who knows? Maybe do a test and stop using certain products and try to make some changes and see what your results are ;)

For sure I will update you guys in the future and, hopefully, share some more good news about my health!

19sweetie said:
Wow. This is exactly why it is so important to stay informed!

I really can't believe this crap.

I agree with 19Sweetie! I can't believe this crap! :mad:
I began switching to more natural products years ago, but I am still a product junkie at heart- I bet this thread will help cure me of that now!
I switched to Dr. Bronner's liquid soap pepermint for shampoo (and body soap) 90% of the time. And I use coconut, olive, and castor oils for my hair with a few drops of EO for a sweeter fragrance. But for protein, heat protectant, and extra moisturizing I am still buying comercial stuff. I stopped using lotion and just use the coconut oil w/ EO.

Heck, I even had a deoderant scare many years back that made me STOP using commercial brands. Yep, breast cancer is linked to commercial antipersperants and deoderants. I switched to natural crystal deoderant (purchased at the health food store, 1 stone lasts yrs.). It doesn't stop perspiration, but it stops odor all over the body and it is sodium derrived and natural. I use commercial antipersperant when I have an absolutly no sweat appointment like an interview or something. But, even living in Arizona 115 degrees, I don't particularly sweat under my arms- in truth, few people sweat profusly in this area unless exerting themselves.

Also, anyone looking into hormone therapy may find a solution with the use of progesterone cream; it balances hormones, eases PMS symptoms, eases heavy periods, reduces perimenipasal and menipausal symptoms, and its all natural with no side effects.

Most importantly Ladies, 2 final points; 1. Your skin is the largest organ of your entire body, what ever you put on it is absorbed into your body! 2. Always question authority and research it for yourself.

Thanks for making this board such a great (and safe) place to learn and share. Much love to everyone... :p

CICI24

Here is some other information I found about estrogen and things you can do to protect yourself and even eleminate excess of it from your body. We can fight back.
HRT - Hormone Replacement Therapy

A planned 8.5 year study on the risks and benefits of estrogen with progestin therapy for women was prematurely stopped after 5 years of investigations demonstrated unacceptable levels of risk to the participants.

Findings showed increased rates of coronary heart disease, breast cancer, strokes, and other diseases.

Other worldwide studies indicate that North American women experience disproportionately high rates of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, PMS, endometriosis, uterine fibroids and fibrocystic breast disease. In recent years it has been determined that excess estrogen stimulation is likely a strong causative or promotional factor for these conditions. Excess estrogen stimulation is know to speed up the rate of cell division of reproductive tissue and this effect is linked to increased cancer risk and the promotion of estrogen dependent tissues, including fibroid tissue, cells clustered in the formation of endometriosis and fibrocystic breast cells.

In North America, some of the estrogen over stimulation is related to the cumulative impact of environmental estrogens that enter the body through our food and water supply. As an example, the use of steroid drugs, such as diethylstilbestrol (an estrogenic steroid), used to promote the growth of livestock, is one source of environmental estrogens. Coupled with the fact that a high animal fat diet alone increases the body’s synthesis of estrogen, it’s no wonder that studies show that when women switch to a lower animal fat diet their blood level of estrogen can drop as much as 36%, if it was previously in the high or high-normal range. This modification alone has been shown to improve PMS symptoms and help reduce breast cancer metastasis.

Another source of environmental estrogens include pesticides, which concentrate in the fatty tissues of the animals we eat and the high fat dairy products we consume. The levels in these foods are much higher than the fruit and vegetables that are sprayed with pesticides. When animals consume feed that contains pesticides, it concentrates in their fat tissue and thus, eating high fat animal products is a major source of these estrogenic compounds. Some environmentalists also warn that the estrogens from birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy (synthetic estrogens) are accumulating in our water supply after being excreted by the intended user, only to find their way back into our food supply and drinking water. You should also know that as women gain weight their fat cells increase the synthesis of a very potent estrogen known as estrone hormone. It’s a well-documented fact that overweight postmenopausal women have a three-times greater risk of breast cancer. All of these factors are linked to excess estrogen stimulation and the high incidence of reproductive disorders and diseases in North American women. Here’s how to protect yourself:

Protecting Yourself:

There are seven proactive practical steps that women of all ages should consider to protect themselves from excess estrogen stimulation.

1. Eat less animal fats. Use chicken, turkey and fish as low fat animal foods as well as 1% or non-fat milk or yogurt. Avoid cheese that is more than 3% milk fat and high fat dairy desserts and butter.

2. Perform aerobic exercise 4-6 times per week, as it has been shown to help detoxify and eliminate excess estrogen from the body.

3. Remain at or near your ideal body weight.

4. Consume cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage) at least 4 times per week, as they contain agents that help detoxify excess estrogens and protect female reproductive tissue. Higher intake of these vegetables is linked to decreased breast cancer in humans and when tested in animal cancer models.

5. Consume wheat bran fiber daily (e.g. breakfast cereals with a wheat fiber content above 8 gms per serving, whole grain breads), as studies show that it helps to eliminate excess estrogens through the intestinal tract.

6. Consume more plant-based estrogens from soy and flaxseed, as the phytoestrogen content from soy tones down the effects of the more powerful estrogens and soy isoflavones speed up the detoxification of excess estrogens by the liver.

7. Consider taking the supplement known as Women’s Hormonal Support, as it contains active ingredients from black cohosh, soy extract and gamma oryzanol, all natural agents, that are known to slow down the rate of cell division of female reproductive tissues, tone down the effects of more powerful estrogens, speed up the detoxification of excess estrogens and have been used successfully in the management of PMS, menopausal symptoms and other hormone-related mentioned above. Women’s Hormonal Support is a specialized formulation to help women living in the North American environment to safely balance and regulate reproductive hormones.

mscounselor

I wish I could have told you guys this from the get go. I have endometriosis and since NO one else in my family has I had to wonder. I stop drinking milk and switched to soy, I decreased the amount of animal protein I eat because they have estrogen from steroids in them OR I try to buy ORGANICALLy raised animals. They even have seafood thats organic. I still have the pain unfortunately and was put on pills. The long of it was, I had too much estrogen and it caused me to end up with endometriosis. The first doctor was even suggesting I may be sterile! :eek:
We need to be conscious of our intake. I wouldn't say swear off everything, just be an informed consumer.
Live Healthy and Happy Growing.
Thanks for starting this thread!

ximenia

This is excellent information that should be featured at the top of the board.

Last edited:

Leslie_C

wow, thats crazy. Im a nursing student and we just learned that high amounts of estrogen (alone) increase the risk of cancer, which is why they dont recommend estrogen therapy for menopausal women for more than so many years and often prescribe progesterone along with it to counteract it.

Annakei

This is really informative stuff! I took this from one of the posted articles:

Despite repeated requests, however, L'Oréal, Revlon, Estée Lauder and several other major multinational cosmetics companies have thus far refused to sign the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, which would commit them to undertake an inventory of all ingredients; determine whether they use chemicals that pose hazards including cancer, endocrine disruption, genetic mutation, reproductive toxicity, developmental harm and neurotoxicity; and implement a plan to replace those ingredients with safer alternatives within three years. Commonly-used cosmetics ingredients that pose such risks include formaldehyde, coal tar, lead acetate, silica, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulphate, p-phenylenediamine and certain phthalates.

Other beauty and body care products popular among African Americans that raised concerns about links to cancer and reproductive health problems in the Skin Deep report include:
Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion for Dry Skin, which scored 8.8; it contains two ingredients that pose cancer risks;
OPI Classic Shades Nail Lacquer OPI Red, scoring 8.7, with two ingredients linked to cancer and two other ingredients linked to birth defects and other reproductive health concerns and;
Dark and Lovely No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer System scored 6.9, with four ingredients which may contain impurities linked to breast cancer and other cancers.

The worst offender was L’Oreal’s Feria Haircolor Cardinal 67, scoring 9.2 out of 10 on the report’s safety scale. It contained seven ingredients that pose cancer risks, one ingredient linked to breast cancer, two linked to allergens, and 23 ingredients that have not been assessed for safety by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR), an industry-funded safety panel.

this makes me want to go natural/organic all the away around! Most of my family are vegans and they have been telling me for years the dangers of using products with synthetic ingredients. I guess this is a wake up call because from here on out it'll be more veggies and trying my BEST to use products that don't contain harmful chemicals.

I use the patch (Ortho Evera) and wen Im on it as one other poster said..."I feel different"...can't explain it but I came off it about 2 weeks ago and I was GOOD TO GO!!! But I came back on it and one day after putting it on my hormones started ranging and I know that a few days afterwards its known to cause mood swings and depression. But its weird because I know that I have nothing to be pissy about and depressed...but here I was at work having a rather labile mood and irritability. I do plan to talk to my GYN about non hormonal alternatives to the patch.

Thanks for this information! Maybe saving someone's life!

sillygurl18

I didn't read the other posts, nor did I read the article yet but.... No wonder kids these days look old so fast.

A_Christian

Thank you all so much for posting these articles! This thread should definitely become a stickey at the top of the board!

Asha's Naturals & Myhoneychild products are all natural & work very well on all hair types.