Oil Cleansing: It works for hair too! (long)

darkflame213

Ok I’ll start off by saying that I got this from the ladies in the skincare forum who use oil to cleanse their faces. I’ve been doing this for a month and my hair stays soft, keeps a good sheen once it’s dry, and has a healthy elasticity. There is no build up or breakage thus far.

What you need:
1.Cleansing oil. I use unrefined coconut oil b/c it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Olive oil also has cleansing properties.
2.Moiturizing oil. I use castor oil, but I think anything that will seal in moisture will do.
3. Detangler (is this a word?). I use jojoba oil, but any leave-in conditioner will work too.
4. Mild cleansing agent: I use a shampoo make from soapwort root.
5.wide toothcomb
6. Plastic conditioner cap (optional)

How to do it:

WASH DAY
Morning: Wash hair with cleansing agent, detangle using detangler :D, apply small amount of moisturizing oil to towel dried hair then style.
Evening: Message cleansing oil into scalp and drench hair with the cleansing oil. Cover with baggie (if you can stand the noise) and cover with scarf.

ALL OTHER DAYS
Morning: rinse out cleansing oil with water. Be sure to message it off of your scalp. Add apply small amount of moisturizing oil to towel dried hair then style.
Evening: Message cleansing oil into scalp and drench hair with the cleansing oil. Cover with baggie (if you can stand the noise) and cover with scarf.

NOTE: I let my hair air-dry. I don’t know how good the results will be if you use heat.

Trinity1

My hair could not stand all that oil and for me personally,I just wouldnt feel like my hair is clean. I love my conditioner washes. My hair feels soft,clean and smells wonderful!

I hope it keeps working for you :)

TeeTee2

darkflame213

Tee Tee2 said:
My hair could not stand all that oil and for me personally,I just wouldnt feel like my hair is clean. I love my conditioner washes. My hair feels soft,clean and smells wonderful!

I hope it keeps working for you :)

TeeTee2

The CWs kept giving me build up. My hair got really brittle. I think I just have really dry hair. Its in love w/the oil.

AllAboutTheHair

I know that oil is the main thing that my hair lacks because its natural, curly, and my scalp is sort of dry. This sounds like a pretty good regimen. But I probably could not do it more than two months at a time.

sweetcocoa

darkflame213 said:
The CWs kept giving me build up. My hair got really brittle. I think I just have really dry hair. Its in love w/the oil.
I can't handle conditioner washes either :nono: ....I wonder how this would work after exercising?.. :scratchch I usually have to shampoo becasue I sweat alot.
Maybe I'll try this in the winter when my hair is really dry...

darkflame213

AABTH- It took two weeks for me to see any major improvements. It took about the same about of time to adjust the amounts I used so that my hair was moisturized and not greasy when it dried.

Sweetcocoa- I've done morning exercise with this routine and the only problem I had was the oil running down my face with the sweat. I reduced this by using two head wraps. One poly-silk to protect my hair and one cotton to absorb the sweat.

virtuenow

Hey, another oil rinsing pioneer! Sareca, check this out :). I think i may want to try this oil as cleasing agent. I do the makeup/skin oil cleansing with castor oil and I can find nothing that works better for removing makeup/oils from skin. Wow, I always wondered if anyone here was using oil cleansing for the hair.

I was planning on doing a co-wash only routine since shampoos & conditioners have kept my hair everlastingly dry over the years. I am scared to do co-washes b/c I have not found one conditioner that is moisturizing for my hair...However, oil rinses w/castor oil have been better to me than any conditioner or shampoo ever has. So I was thinking, why not cut the shampoo and conditioner altogether.

This is a possible experiment after some more research. But shampoos are out the door for now. We'll see if conditioner can hang in there.

virtuenow

I found others who use oil cleansing. I will post some stuff here, but will probably start a new thread (b/c this is pretty old and u guys may not read!):

Oil Cleansing Method for hair... - CurlTalk

"Ok. I have been lurking around here for almost a year now but this has been a really awesome discovery for me.

I am a 2c/3a (but my hair is a little short at the moment to show much 3a). Medium coarseness medium porosity.

I had heard about the oil cleansing method for cleaning your face and I tried it and it worked really well for me. I figured if I can do it for my face then why not my scalp/hair?

My method is this:

1) rinse hair with water thoroughly
2) spread cleansing oil blend over my hands and rub genty to warm a bit
3) apply to scalp and scrub scalp with pads of fingers thouroughly
4) rinse thouroughly with water (as warm as you can make it)
5) brush scalp with denman
6) flip upsidedown and brush length with denman

Then I guess you would follow your own routine for products.

Using this washing method I don't require any product for reglar daily wear - although my hair is not quite as defined and as clumpy as when I do use products, which I do if I am going out or something.

I will post pics as soon as I can!"

janda

Interesting because I have been using oil (or oil based) cleansing on my face for quite some time. It's counterintuitive but instead of clogging my pores they are cleaner than they've ever been. So, this might work.

virtuenow

Yeah, I was shocked at how much cleaner, smoother and moisturized my skin felt after trying out the oil cleansing technique. I think castor oil w/olive oil would be a good start, hmmmm

virtuenow

"Women from India use oil to condition their scalp and hair. They use a product called "amla oil" (among others) . I use it too, and I just rub it into my scalp and also into my hair, leave it in at least half an hour, then shampoo like mad (it takes at least two latherings to get all the oil out, but I use a lot of oil). The oil smells wierd, but once you wash it out, your hair will not smell wierd. I get amla oil at Indian grocery stores. "
Oil Cleanse Method for the Scalp? - *Beauty Secrets for Divas* - tribe.net

virtuenow

:lol:
2006 , before the infamous oil rinsing thread

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...92036-yall-gonna-think-im-crazy-oil-wash.html

I still pour olive oil over my head at times and squeeze :lachen: as a quick fix/rinse/cleanse/treatment, works mighty fine :yep:

Cool, thanks Irresistible! I searched for your oil washing thread after the "oil rinsing" thread cited you as a pioneer. I found your fotki but it didn't give the steps on what to do, so thanks so much for the link! This is great, and I can't wait to put it all together and post the results and all the fabulous links for everyone!

Barbara

Princess
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the same effects can be applied by doing the following:

Any oil can be added to the shampoo bottle or add the oil to the hair first then add the shampoo and wash as normal.

Or you can add oil, glycerin, and conditioner to the shampoo bottle. Presto!! :superbanana: You have a moisturizing cream conditioning shampoo! :lick:

Last edited:

virtuenow

I wouldn't put it on dry hair. It works much better on wet hair. If u use it as a prepoo then it serves a totally diff purpose. Its just a whole other idea/technique to add oil to Shampoo. Poos are so harsh and stripping u'd probably have to add half the bottle

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

sareca

I'm still loving hot water oil rinsing. I do them every week. Oil rinsing, low manipulation and flaxseed gel are staples in my haircare regimen. I tell everybody, if you're struggling with dry hair and you're guessing it won't work... don't guess, know. :)

virtuenow

Well said Sareca, I am spreading the news every chance I get. After 5yrs of hard, dry natural hair, oil rinses have been a blessng. Moisture at last! No mattter how ridiculous this sounds, any1 w/this prob should give it a try

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Urban

Another oil rinsing fan here! IA, try it before you say it won't work for you.

I think a few of us do it differently. I do mine on dry hair. I might give the wet hair method a go to see how it compares.

Nefertiti0906

I'm still loving hot water oil rinsing. I do them every week. Oil rinsing, low manipulation and flaxseed gel are staples in my haircare regimen. I tell everybody, if you're struggling with dry hair and you're guessing it won't work... don't guess, know. :)

Could you please expound on the "hot water oil rinsing" method?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I googled castor oil cleansing on scalp and this thread popped up. Nice to know I am not the only odd one who has done this. I have been doing this since last fall and intend to keep going. This is the best condition my hair has ever been.

beingofserenity

I googled castor oil cleansing on scalp and this thread popped up. Nice to know I am not the only odd one who has done this. I have been doing this since last fall and intend to keep going. This is the best condition my hair has ever been.

Thanks for bumping this because I was looking into it a few weeks ago but couldn't find a thread on it.