Korean BSS Topic Agains: Black-owned Entrepreneur Interviews

Guitarhero

http://permedtonatural.com/2011/02/beetee-beauty-supply-store/

Permed to Natural Blog owner interviews Black business owner on the specifics of the Korean-dominated industry:

Black Owned Beauty Supply Store Reveals the Struggles to Stay in Business
Monday, February 14th, 2011

After posting the documentary about the struggles black owned beauty supply stores are experiencing because of their Korean counterparts, I thought about the number of African American owned beauty supply stores that cater to black hair within my parameter, and after thinking about it, I realized the answer was zero. I normally purchase hair care products throughout Brooklyn and Harlem and every shop I go to is owned by Koreans. Once realizing I couldn’t find a black owned beauty supply store, I researched the issue and found the film by Aron Raven.

Because of Raven’s project I became very curious about the topic, almost obsessed, and went online in search of black owned beauty supply stores. Ultimately, I found BeeTee Beauty Supply Store in East Orange, New Jersey. I called the store and spoke to the owner, Tim. He was very gracious and openly filled me in on the politics regarding the beauty supply store business. After our conversation I had to feature him on Permed to Natural. There was no way I could keep all of that information to myself. I went to East Orange to meet Tim in person and to visit his store. BeeTee Beauty is a large space that is magnificently stocked with products for your every hair care need. I felt extremely proud when I entered his store.

Check out what Tim has to say about the beauty supply store business.

PTN: What inspired you to start your own beauty supply store?

BT: We came from families of entrepreneurs. Our families ran their own businesses from retail, corporations to professional practices. So naturally we gravitated towards owning our own business. Beauty supply was an attraction because despite what you do and who you are, you will always take care of your beauty needs.

PTN: How long has BeeTee Beauty Supply been in business and where are you located?

BT: BeeTee Beauty opened officially in August of 2002. Our information is 516B Main Street; East Orange, New Jersey 07018; 973-678-0046; Website: www.beeteebeauty.com; Email: beeteebeauty[USER=320439]yahoo[/USER].com.

PTN: Your competition are the Koreans who also own beauty supply stores geared towards African American hair care. Have you lost customers to Korean owned beauty supply stores in your area?

BT: Well you loose some and you gain some! Koreans have always dominated the industry and our people have come to think that the beauty supply business is the domain of the Koreans only. I think that we as a people should support one another and together we can get our business back. Currently, the Koreans control the market, they have the financial stability, and they have locked down the supplies, the suppliers and the manufacturers, which pose entry barriers into the beauty supply business for the minority black person.

PTN: Have you noticed a change in the way business is done over the years? If so, please tell us about it.

BT: The market is dominated by the Koreans; if you don’t speak the Korean language, they wouldn’t sell to you, when they do sell; the price is higher than for their Korean counterpart. You are often compelled to pay cash, certified check or money order for everything you buy. No return, no terms. In New Jersey where we are located there is an organization called Korean Beauty Supply Association (KBSA). They have threatened to boycott any distributor that will sell to any non Korean beauty supply store. Consequently, these distributors become scared to sell to the non Koreans because of the threat of boycott from KBSA. Have you ever wondered why most stores owned by blacks or minorities are poorly stocked? It’s not because they don’t have the capital. No. Far from it! Majority of them have the money but they can’t find a supplier that is willing to take the wrath of the KBSA.

Secondly, if you do find a supplier or distributor willing to sell, they will suddenly either stop selling or demand their products back. Then follows the excuses; either the factory in China or Korea has gone on strike or they have burnt down or they are out of stock, and so on…. Or they give you the “proximity” excuse. The proximity excuse is usually used when Korean distributors don’t want to sell to you because you are not Korean. They tell you that you are too close to a customer of theirs and will violate their unwritten code by selling to you. They would say it promotes unhealthy competition. But it’s okay when the store is Korean owned. These stories are real! They actually happened to us and are still happening eight and a half years later.

In November 2002, a few months after our official grand opening in East Orange, New Jersey, our main distributor Jingu (Harlem21) hair company came back to our store and demanded to take their products back. They came with a refund money order (issued from a Korean bank in China Town, New York) and advised that they have been instructed by their CEO in China to refund us our money and return their products. They indicated that their company had received numerous calls and threats from KBSA that they were doing business with us. The KBSA had called their president in China and logged complaints. When Jingu came to our store to collect their products, they came in company with KBSA members to ensure that the products were actually retrieved. Another supplier in California, Jazz Wave, stopped selling to us three months later. Reason? Their factory burnt down and they are getting a lot of calls from the New Jersey chapter of KBSA to stop selling to us, they would eventually confess. Ben’s Beauty (in Philadelphia), Milky Way Hair Collections, Janet Hair Collections (Beauty Plus), Beverly Johnson Hair Collections, Outre, Motions Hair Collections, Sensationnel Hair, just to name a few, had one excuse after another.

PTN: All of the hair collections you just mentioned are Korean owned?

BT: Yes all of them are Korean owned including Beverly Johnson’s Hair Collection. Also Korean owned are Sally Beauty Supply stores.

PTN: How are Koreans able to obtain black hair care products to distribute? Can you go to the same place to purchase products for your store as well?

BT: Korean distributors go to the manufacturers, and some are black owned, to buy products by the trailer load. Manufacturers don’t normally sell to retail stores because the distributors are able to purchase a lot more items and that is how they make their money. There are a few black distributors I am able to purchase from but sometimes they buy products from the Korean distributors because they can not afford to purchase a large amount from the manufacturers.

PTN: Do black owned manufacturers know what the Koreans are doing to black owned beauty supply stores?

BT: I am sure they do.

PTN: How many black owned beauty supply stores are there in East Orange, New Jersey?

BT: I know of only three including mine. The fourth one was forced out of business by the Koreans due to lack of suppliers and products. So her customers dwindled and migrated to her Korean competition.

PTN: How many Korean owned beauty supply stores that cater to black hair are there in East Orange, New Jersey?

BT: At the top of my head I can count more than eight in the vicinity where I operate. I am sure there is a slew more of Korean owned black beauty supply shops in East Orange since East Orange accounts for over 75 percent of blacks in the Oranges.

PTN: How do you feel about those numbers?

BT: Discouraging and disproportionately balanced. It is unfair that black people are prevented from entering a market that caters to their needs. But then again, who says life is fair?

PTN: Do you purchase products from Koreans who distribute most of the black hair care supplies? If yes, is it hard working with them? If not, how to do stock your store?

BT: Yes, I do but it’s not easy at all. Cash up front no credit. There are a few willing to do business with us under the radar. These suppliers very frequently do not want our Korean counterparts to know that they are selling to us.

PTN: How do you think African Americans lost ownership of beauty supply stores for black hair? What can we do to gain back control? Do you think we are willing to do that?

BT: I don’t know but knowing what I know now, I think we sold out! We need to stop selling ourselves short, cheap and gain back our self esteem. I believe in my people and I still think that we can gain back control if we stick together and support those that dare to enter the market. We will gain back control when we start working together, start spending our money within our people and in our businesses and give black businesses a chance. Financial institutions in the black communities need to open up and lend money to grow the community.

PTN: What do you want Permed to Natural readers to take with them after reading your story?

BT: The beauty supply industry is like the mafia. No one tells you until you get there to find out that everything is locked down. It’s a dog eat dog world out there. The Koreans do not want black people in the business that caters to blacks, previously owned by blacks and used by blacks. Where black owned beauty supplies exist, the Koreans are bent at eliminating and wiping them out for good.

I want all your readers to ‘try and support black beauty supply stores out there’ wherever and whenever they can because they are the ones that will create the wealth in the black community and invest the money back in the black community. Ever wonder where your Korean beauty supply store owner lives? Certainly not in your community where they make their money!

Unreal. :nono: It's kind of sad that to buy products from people who won't even allow black business to prosper. :nono:

Also an isolated incident, but my brother's gf of eight years is Korean and her family absolutely despises him because of his race...And I know one of her uncles owns a black beauty supply, so can you imagine? :nono:

Thanks for the knowledge OP

SmilingElephant

We should start a nationwide (or international) boycott against Asian owned beauty supply stores:yep:

Just like how the "Fro's for the 4th" was started here...we can help our community! Especially since we're the hair fanatics!:yep:....LHCF is a pretty popular Black hair care forum and a lot of bloggers are or were members here.

How bout it?:)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
^^^ I would be SO down with this. Someone with some organizational skills (the opposite of me :lol: ) needs to get this started.

We should start a nationwide (or international) boycott against Asian owned beauty supply stores:yep:

Just like how the "Fro's for the 4th" was started here...we can help our community! Especially since we're the hair fanatics!:yep:....LHCF is a pretty popular Black hair care forum and a lot of bloggers are or were members here.

Or at least a progressive moment towards Black owned beauty supply store growth.

I don't know about anyone else's experiences...but even just walking into a Korean owned store, I just get a sheer amount of distrust...

Also for the majority of the time I'm in the shop, another language I can't understand is being spoken. Most other businesses I have employees fluent in other languages switch over to English STAT when a customer is present.

So...The idea of someone speaking anything other than English in a place of business isn't professional right? I'm not saying every Korean beauty supply does this, but the ones I've been in, it's like this. :nono:

Spanish I can nearly completely understand since an ex of mine used to speak it to me on a daily basis. :lol:

SmilingElephant

http://permedtonatural.com/2011/02/beetee-beauty-supply-store/
PTN: How are Koreans able to obtain black hair care products to distribute? Can you go to the same place to purchase products for your store as well?

BT: [B]Korean distributors go to the manufacturers, and some are black owned, to buy products by the trailer load.[/B] Manufacturers don’t normally sell to retail stores because the distributors are able to purchase a lot more items and that is how they make their money. There are a few black distributors I am able to purchase from but sometimes they buy products from the Korean distributors because they can not afford to purchase a large amount from the manufacturers.

PTN: Do black owned manufacturers know what the Koreans are doing to black owned beauty supply stores?

BT: I am sure they do.

PTN: How many black owned beauty supply stores are there in East Orange, New Jersey?

BT: I know of only three including mine. The fourth one was forced out of business by the Koreans due to lack of suppliers and products. So her customers dwindled and migrated to her Korean competition.

PTN: How many Korean owned beauty supply stores that cater to black hair are there in East Orange, New Jersey?

BT: At the top of my head I can count more than eight in the vicinity where I operate. I am sure there is a slew more of Korean owned black beauty supply shops in East Orange since East Orange accounts for over 75 percent of blacks in the Oranges.

PTN: How do you feel about those numbers?

BT: Discouraging and disproportionately balanced. It is unfair that black people are prevented from entering a market that caters to their needs. But then again, who says life is fair?

PTN: Do you purchase products from Koreans who distribute most of the black hair care supplies? If yes, is it hard working with them? If not, how to do stock your store?

BT: Yes, I do but it’s not easy at all. Cash up front no credit. There are a few willing to do business with us under the radar. These suppliers very frequently do not want our Korean counterparts to know that they are selling to us.

PTN: How do you think African Americans lost ownership of beauty supply stores for black hair? What can we do to gain back control? Do you think we are willing to do that?

BT: I don’t know but knowing what I know now, I think we sold out! We need to stop selling ourselves short, cheap and gain back our self esteem. I believe in my people and I still think that we can gain back control if we stick together and support those that dare to enter the market. We will gain back control when we start working together, start spending our money within our people and in our businesses and give black businesses a chance. Financial institutions in the black communities need to open up and lend money to grow the community.

PTN: What do you want Permed to Natural readers to take with them after reading your story?

BT: The beauty supply industry is like the mafia. No one tells you until you get there to find out that everything is locked down. It’s a dog eat dog world out there. The Koreans do not want black people in the business that caters to blacks, previously owned by blacks and used by blacks. Where black owned beauty supplies exist, the Koreans are bent at eliminating and wiping them out for good.

I want all your readers to ‘try and support black beauty supply stores out there’ wherever and whenever they can because they are the ones that will create the wealth in the black community and invest the money back in the black community. Ever wonder where your Korean beauty supply store owner lives? Certainly not in your community where they make their money!

I don't even like that:nono:

Our community needs to stand up against things like this....regardless of the costs...sometimes you gotta go backwards to move forward....that right there is just messed up.

So what if........ there was a way (for Black BSS owners) to buy stuff from the Asian owned BSS in BULK.....and resale it cheap. Since they wanna play dirty. I say that bc i used to work in a store (not BSS) but these ppl from Brazil would come in and by products by the SHELVES....and had the nerve to even ask for our bags....so that they can take the U.S. products back to Brazil and sell them for cheap.

faithVA

Koreans are money people. The only way to turn them around is to hit them in the wallet. We would have to hit them at each level, the store level, the Korean BSS Association and the distributor level.

We would also need to hit the Black manufacturers supplying the Koreans who are ignoring the problem at their level.

I don't know collectively as a people though if we would be willing to make the sacrifice of not being able to get products for extended periods of time.

SmilingElephant

I think i saw an article like this a while back and it actually stopped me from buying anything from Asian run BSS.

Now...in Orlando there's these chains of Beauty Depots....but there is a Super Beauty Depot that i go to...i am under the impression that it is Black owned. Because all i see working in the store are Black people...and i like that WAY more than going into a strange Asian BSS....i have nothing against Asian ppl personally...but in THIS case...i'm down to boycott because this is a group of people that actually HATE me and MY people. Ya know?

I say we start it bruh.

SmilingElephant

Koreans are money people. The only way to turn them around is to hit them in the wallet. We would have to hit them at each level, the store level, the Korean BSS Association and the distributor level.

We would also need to hit the Black manufacturers supplying the Koreans who are ignoring the problem at their level.

I don't know collectively as a people though if we would be willing to make the sacrifice of not being able to get products for extended periods of time.

Now when they say manufacturers...(i'm not business saavy like that:grin:...but i hate to see our dollars go down the evil greed drain)...do they mean just products like shampoo and conditioner...or are they also included manufacturers of things like rollers, silk caps and combs...stuff like that as well??

Bc if THATS the case...we need to look at who these manufacturers really are and convince them to stop catering to that KTBS...whatever association its called.

Isn't this an infringement on Civil Rights tho?....locking out others...not even just Black ppl...but other races...from the right to run their own businesses? This stuff that the Koreans are doing sounds kinda illegal to me.:spinning:

Keshieshimmer

Man, I think I may have to stop being a patron of sallys. That will hurt, but for the greater good. I stopped with the Asian/Hispanic owned stores a while ago...and the Korean nail salons.

cheryl26

Folks need to start suing instead of hushing up and crying about it. Sue them back to Korea:lol: Come in my store and try to take MY paid for merchandise and they'd all be met with the barrel of a gun and arrested for attempted robbery. Something must be going on in those Northern states, we never had a problem with Koreans in the South or Cali.

Man, I think I may have to stop being a patron of sallys. That will hurt, but for the greater good. I stopped with the Asian/Hispanic owned stores a while ago...and the Korean nail salons.

The people in the nail salons have been super nice and accommodating though imo, (well at least the salon by my house 'you are so pretty!' :lol:)And it's hard to find a black nail shop out here ran by blacks. Hmm...unless I take a 25 minute ride to Oakland.

The Korean hair store owners though, I can count on a single hand when I've gotten nice, friendly service. I dunno what it is about hair care that makes some people so vicious to their CUSTOMERS! Customers!!:nono:

ellebelle88

I hate it. Hate, hate hate going into a BSS and only seeing Asians with all these overpriced products that black women are buying in droves. I also feel like they are looking down on us because we buy so much weave and spend so much money on haircare. They don't understand and never will but they think of us as vain all the while watching their pockets grow.

They have no respect for us. I remember one young girl was asking one of the Asian workers something and she was completely ignored. I would definitely support a movement which tries to increase support and revenue for black-owned BSS but I'm just wondering if it can really be accomplished. Most of the customers who I see in BSS are black women who don't know and don't care about who they are giving their money to. They just want to have the best weave/wig game.

SmilingElephant

Unreal. :nono: It's kind of sad that to buy products from people who won't even allow black business to prosper. :nono:

Also an isolated incident, but my brother's gf of eight years is Korean and her family absolutely despises him because of his race...And I know one of her uncles owns a black beauty supply, so can you imagine? :nono:

Thanks for the knowledge OP

That's the kinda stuff I'M talkin about! When ppl talk like they're oblivious to racism going on today...that right there is a PRIME example! You hate me but you expect me to give you my hard earned cash....that was even HARDER for ME to make bc of the color of my skin in the first place!!

Naw!:nono: We gon stop that!

Or at least a progressive moment towards Black owned beauty supply store growth.

I don't know about anyone else's experiences...but even just walking into a Korean owned store, I just get a sheer amount of distrust...

Also for the majority of the time I'm in the shop, another language I can't understand is being spoken. Most other businesses I have employees fluent in other languages switch over to English STAT when a customer is present.

So...The idea of someone speaking anything other than English in a place of business isn't professional right? I'm not saying every Korean beauty supply does this, but the ones I've been in, it's like this. :nono:

Spanish I can nearly completely understand since an ex of mine used to speak it to me on a daily basis. :lol:

I agree.

I know a lot of us LOVE us some Sally's....its in our blood:grin:...but honestly i haven't even been shopping at Sally's that much. I've been able to just use things from Target, Walgreens, CVS....regular stores. But if there is a Black owned business selling the same or similar things to what i DO buy...i will go to THAT store.

I'm tired of us being exploited!!! Reason #5,793 of why i went natural!:yep:

We are always talking about how there's really no unity among our community...we got to start somewhere ya'll...and it make since to start with US bc we as Black women love doing our hair and looking good...even if all we have is a dime in our back pocket...we still love to look like we have millions.:yep:

Now....you know how a lot of us who went natural....and evenn the relaxed ladies..when you started your healthy haircare journey....remember how it trickled off into an AWARENESS of needing to be healthy in other aspects of life simply bc you learned about good vs bad ingredients to look out for?

I see this boycott just like that!:yep: If we as the hair community stop spending out PJ dollars at these Asian run BSS...it will trickle to the masses eventually. Plus we have FB and Twitter to help us get the word out...hair bloggers BIG time....eventually down the road...this will rock the foundation of these bad businesses:yep:

It only took a stone to kill Goliath...yeah?

SmilingElephant

Folks need to start suing instead of hushing up and crying about it. Sue them back to Korea:lol: Come in my store and try to take MY paid for merchandise and they'd all be met with the barrel of a gun and arrested for attempted robbery. Something must be going on in those Northern states, we never had a problem with Koreans in the South or Cali.

Well im in Florida....and the Asians in the BSS's down here can be RUDE. Every blue moon i meet a nice personn but most of them seem like they pissed off that they even had to come to work!! And get attitudes when you ask them a question.

I'll never forget...me and my lil sister had to go off on this Asian man in his BSS bc my mom had accidentally paid him w/ a $100 bill when she thought she gave him a 10. This dude didnt even give my mother a receipt...and she was crying...i was waiting for her and my sister in the car and this other lady came out and knocked on my car window to tell me that man had my mama crying for her money back...while he stood there lying that he didn't have it.

I told him i would hop cross that counter and give him what he's worth! he threatened to call the police...so i told him if he would just do the right thing and give my mom her money back it would all be cool....so after lying and lying he reached in his POCKET and gave her the $100 she gave him. He gave her the wrong change and everything...it was messed up bc my dad had gave her that as part of an anniversary gift.

I'll NEVER forget that day! So when i read this article...it made me flashback to that....the man told us to GET OUT OF MY STORE!!! AND DON'T EVER COME BACK!

We NEVER did...and now that shop is closed!!!:lachen:

We need to boycott these ppl...fa real. Ya'll STOP buying stuff from them PLEASE!!!

lovegymnasts

Now...in Orlando there's these chains of Beauty Depots....but there is a Super Beauty Depot that i go to...i am under the impression that it is Black owned. Because all i see working in the store are Black people...and i like that WAY more than going into a strange Asian BSS....i have nothing against Asian ppl personally...but in THIS case...i'm down to boycott because this is a group of people that actually HATE me and MY people. Ya know?

I say we start it bruh.

It is more than likely not black owned. I know the BSS close to my house isn't. They hire Blacks but the employees are being supervised by someone who is Asian.
It's all a front.

Honestly, I don't think it will change because of supply and demand. They have the market cornered and are able to sell at low prices.
Most people can not afford to overpay for items. They are going to buy what they need/want at the lowest cost. I know I do.

In addition, the percentage of African Americans living under the poverty level is twice the national average.
We do not have or do not utilize economic power.

Steps that probably will need to take place:

1. Stop the dependence on weaves and extensions
  2. Black owned distributors need to take a stand
  3. Black owned BSS owners need to form a coalition and support each other
  4. Another non-Asian supply source needs to be created or found (currently there is no competition)
One thing I do not understand:
If a distributor sells a Black owned BSS some products/inventory, how can they come back and demand the items back and take it off the shelves? The transaction was completed. They no longer have claim to the items.

Well im in Florida....and the Asians in the BSS's down here can be RUDE. Every blue moon i meet a nice personn but most of them seem like they pissed off that they even had to come to work!! And get attitudes when you ask them a question.

I'll never forget...me and my lil sister had to go off on this Asian man in his BSS bc my mom had accidentally paid him w/ a $100 bill when she thought she gave him a 10. This dude didnt even give my mother a receipt...and she was crying...i was waiting for her and my sister in the car and this other lady came out and knocked on my car window to tell me that man had my mama crying for her money back...while he stood there lying that he didn't have it.

I told him i would hop cross that counter and give him what he's worth! he threatened to call the police...so i told him if he would just do the right thing and give my mom her money back it would all be cool....so after lying and lying he reached in his POCKET and gave her the $100 she gave him. He gave her the wrong change and everything...it was messed up bc my dad had gave her that as part of an anniversary gift.

I'll NEVER forget that day! So when i read this article...it made me flashback to that....the man told us to GET OUT OF MY STORE!!! AND DON'T EVER COME BACK!

We NEVER did...and now that shop is closed!!!:lachen:

We need to boycott these ppl...fa real. Ya'll STOP buying stuff from them PLEASE!!!

The shop being closed was what they had coming to them for awhile!! :yep: Geesh, I've had run ins, but nothing to that extreme.

Just people who, after I ask a question to, stare at me like I spoke German and after talking to each other--about who knows what--for five minutes will get me help . And by this time, I've forgotten what I asked them. :nono:

Really I haven't went back to those places for awhile. I've been starting to order hair care online more and I've been looking towards more Black-owed.

Hmm yeah, enough's enough. I went into a Korean beauty store with a Korean friend, and I was floored by how super friendly they were to her, and they even spoke to her in Korean too.

That was the BEST service I had ever.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Ya'll got me in here gettin HYPE! :lol:

Getting the word out is the first step, so we need to tell bloggers and youtubers about this to spread the message. Does anyone personally know any bloggers/youtubers?

Maybe we can keep track of everyone who v/blogs about the protest and post the links here. :yep:

Raspberry

Ya'll got me in here gettin HYPE! :lol:

Getting the word out is the first step, so we need to tell bloggers and youtubers about this to spread the message. Does anyone personally know any bloggers/youtubers?

Maybe we can keep track of everyone who v/blogs about the protest and post the links here. :yep:

I would love to see this be effective. You'll still have a lot of black women who will frequent those BSSs no matter what just because of cost but an energized blogosphere has the ability to trickle things down to the majority.. we've seen it happen with other issues.

It would also be nice to get Tom Joyner or somebody talking about this issue on the radio. I don't listen to his show but I know a lot of black folk do...

SmilingElephant

It is more than likely not black owned. I know the BSS close to my house isn't. They hire Blacks but the employees are being supervised by someone who is Asian.
It's all a front.

Honestly, I don't think it will change because of supply and demand. They have the market cornered and are able to sell at low prices.
Most people can not afford to overpay for items. They are going to buy what they need/want at the lowest cost. I know I do.

In addition, the percentage of African Americans living under the poverty level is twice the national average.
We do not have or do not utilize economic power.

Steps that probably will need to take place:

1. [*]Stop the dependence on weaves and extensions
    [*]Black owned distributors need to take a stand
    [*]Black owned BSS owners need to form a coalition and support each other
    [*]Another non-Asian supply source needs to be created or found (currently there is no competition)
If a distributor sells a Black owned BSS some products/inventory, how can they come back and demand the items back and take it off the shelves? The transaction was completed. They no longer have claim to the items.

Makes sense to me:yep:.....

So with the creation of a non-Asian source...where would one begin? Or maybe the Black owned BSS's across America could form their own Association...just join together and create their own source that way??

Like the whole thing be Black owned only...Black manufacturers, Black Distributors, Black Owned BSS's.

Honey Bee

Exactly.

And, why don't the black entrepreneurs seem to have lawyers? This little hustle the Koreans got going is all kinds of illegal. I must be missing something.

SmilingElephant

I would love to see this be effective. You'll still have a lot of black women who will frequent those BSSs no matter what just because of cost but an energized blogosphere has the ability to trickle things down to the majority.. we've seen it happen with other issues.

It would also be nice to get Tom Joyner or somebody talking about this issue on the radio. I don't listen to his show but I know a lot of black folk do...

YESSS!!!! I was JUST thinking this! Tom Joyner and also as much as i can't STAND his show....Michael Basden :grin:...now i will say this...Mike has been giving us natural ladies some love on his show from what i've been hearing of it recently...so i could see him bringing up this topic on his radio show:yep:

There's so many ways nowadays to get the word out....true there will be thos who will flock to the Asian BSS's...but the point is....there won't be as MUCH money going to them.

I'm pretty sure a LOT of ppl will start boycotting when they learn the nitty gritty of whats going on and why it seems the Asians have everything! All we want is our opportunity too! That's not fair at all for them to have a whole INDUSTRY in a corner???! NO! There has to be a way to stop it.

I'm on my Rosa PARKS!:lol:

Raspberry

I wonder if black owners of beauty supplies would help other black's who are interested in opening a BSS?

Hmm.. interesting idea.

You have so many black women creating their own beauty brands and products nowadays, maybe they should partner with black entrepreneurs and let the black owned stores be exclusive distributors? It's hard to compete with the distribution networks of the Koreans with the huge companies so it's probably better to focus on niche markets like black natural hair products.

ETA: It's so interesting to me how these mega corporations were able to convince black omen that their "ethnic" products were the only way to go and everything else was for white people. However, considering the overall lack of health in length apparent on the heads of most black owmen, the BSS loyalty hasn't been helping us :ohwell:. Not saying it's all their fault.. but I'm just sayin..

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

I have a blog ya'll...its not popular....but if we came to an agreement as the Association ( i like that word:lol) of LHCF on a boycott and when to start it...i would gladly make this a post on my blog.

It would be nice for big time Bloggers to do like a series or something about whats going on with the hair care industry. It's time for US to be in the know about US.

greenandchic

^^^ I would be SO down with this. Someone with some organizational skills (the opposite of me :lol: ) needs to get this started.

Just like there's going to be an International Bank Transfer Day on November 5th, we need to organize a "Ban Korea" day. :yep: We need to go Occupy Beauty Supply Store on their a$$es!

That's the issue. I know WE (here on LHCF) can do it, not sure about the rest of the American Black hair population.

PTN: All of the hair collections you just mentioned are Korean owned?

BT: Yes all of them are Korean owned including Beverly Johnson’s Hair Collection. Also Korean owned are Sally Beauty Supply stores.

Lord, I had no idea! Guess I'd have to rely on online shopping more.

SmilingElephant

Hmm.. interesting idea.

You have so many black women creating their own beauty brands and products nowadays, maybe they should partner with black entrepreneurs and let the black owned stores be exclusive distributors? It's hard to compete with the distribution networks of the Koreans with the huge companies so it's probably better to focus on niche markets like black natural hair products.

ETA: It's so interesting to me how these mega corporations were able to convince black omen that their "ethnic" products were the only way to go and everything else was for white people. However, considering the overall lack of health in length apparent on the heads of most black owmen, the BSS loyalty hasn't been helping us :ohwell:. Not saying it's all their fault.. but I'm just sayin..

THAT'S what i'm talkin about! See...if we could take all of our ideas and put them together and spread them out into the world....it could do some damage:yep: All we gotta do is try. All we are looking at is this HUGE mountain....but we need to find angles to hit to knock it down...(i've recently become addicted to Angry Birds:look:)....we just have to keep trying. Respect is not gonna be given to us...we have to go out there and earn it...but as a whole community.

And when other communities see how we overcame something like this....there will come to follow more respect...bc to other races (the ones who are racist)...all we are good for is handouts and weave...its sad...but ppl look at us like that just bc we're Black. I'm tired of this treatment we receive from ppl like them....we BUILT this country yo! Are we just gonna let this slide too?

I feel like i'm sittin at a conference table wit y'all right now:lol:

greenandchic

I have a blog ya'll...its not popular....but if we came to an agreement as the Association ( i like that word:lol) of LHCF on a boycott and when to start it...i would gladly make this a post on my blog.

It would be nice for big time Bloggers to do like a series or something about whats going on with the hair care industry. It's time for US to be in the know about US.

Youtube too. :yep:

Tamster

this is awesome! i would definitely join an official boycott and would encourage others to do so as well. i would do promo on my twitter-- and be willing to try to recruit bloggers down for the cause.

my thing is, you would have to clearly state alternatives for women who do rely on their local BSS. And the alternatives have to be cost effective. We can't expect people to stop their BSS habit AND spend more. Just not gonna happen.