Air Drying

Kayluv

Hello,

I enjoy air drying because it takes less time, less manipulation etc., but my hair does not dry straight but rather crinkly. To that end, is it harmful to my hair to blow the roots after my hair has dried? I've tried countless air drying methods and I've concluded that it isn't going to work for me the way I want. Any advice?:blush:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I've found that after I had tried EVERY airdrying method and I was still ending up w/ frizzy hair, I had to re-evaluate my products and find the perfect leave in conditioner and oil. After that it was smooth sailing.

chelleypie810

Same here. Whenever I airdry I end up with the same frizzy. I don't know how you ladies do it b/c my hair is super healthy but just extra frizzy when I airdry. I've tried blowdrying w cool air, the scarf method, etc. I eventually just gave up lol.

Bublin

I have the same problem. I think has to do with texture. I have very curly/spirally hair and airdrying just freezes the spirals rather then smoothing them out. I don't know what to do. The Tension method yeilds the same results.

Bnster

sunnieb I looked at your fotki and loved that you also gave the time interval.

If I airdry I just constantly run my hand down my hair. Bun during the week. I find by 3rd day my hair looks straight

Dposh167

If you don't mind me asking. What products do you use when you air dry?

Aveda hang straight
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion (<---this is by far the best)
Curls Milkshake
Lacio Lacio

^but these are the ones that work good on my hair tho.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Kayluv - I believe the secret to air drying is (in no particular order): technique, products, patience and hair health.

What look are you trying to achieve? I'm relaxed and by no means do my hair air dry flat iron straight but it's straight enough for what I'm trying to achieve. All of my styles in my LHCF blog were done on air dry hair unless otherwise noted.

I air dry by applying LIs to sopping wet hair. I run a fine tooth comb through the ng (ng only not the entire strand) of the top layer only (credit goes to @sylver2). Put scarf on head (Hairlista's scarf method). Sit in front of fan and occasionally run my fingers through my hair and/or on top of my hair to smooth the hair as it's drying. I detangle when I'm ~90% dry. Detangling when my hair is mostly dry helps to stretch it out some. I find that my hair shrinks and waves back up if I detangle when sopping wet.

Kimiche

Aveda hang straight
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion (<---this is by far the best)
Curls Milkshake
Lacio Lacio

^but these are the ones that work good on my hair tho.

Nice! I have Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion in my stash. I will use it this weekend when I air dry. :grin:

Kayluv

Are you relaxed or natural?

I have an album that shows how I airdry my relaxed hair here: http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2010/how-i-air-dry-my-hair/how-i-air-dry-my-hair/

I'm not totally sure how you could do this as a natural, but I think the key is to lightly comb or run your fingers through your hair every 30 minutes or so to keep the tangles at bay.

I am relaxed. I too have tried the scarf method and running my fingers through my hair, but nothing has helped to tame the frizzies.

Kayluv

@Kayluv - I believe the secret to air drying is (in no particular order): technique, products, patience and hair health.

What look are you trying to achieve? I'm relaxed and by no means do my hair air dry flat iron straight but it's straight enough for what I'm trying to achieve. All of my styles in my LHCF blog were done on air dry hair unless otherwise noted.

I air dry by applying LIs to sopping wet hair. I run a fine tooth comb through the ng (ng only not the entire strand) of the top layer only (credit goes to @sylver2). Put scarf on head (Hairlista's scarf method). Sit in front of fan and occasionally run my fingers through my hair and/or on top of my hair to smooth the hair as it's drying. I detangle when I'm ~90% dry. Detangling when my hair is mostly dry helps to stretch it out some. I find that my hair shrinks and waves back up if I detangle when sopping wet.

I am not looking for dead straight flat ironed looking hair. I just want it to be somewhat straight. I cowash on Friday and air dried using LTR leave-in and Chi Silk Infusion along with the scarf method and I still ended up with the frizzies. I usually get around this by blowing the roots after my hair has dried about 90%. I do not blow dry long enough to get stick straight hair, just to tame the frizzies.

sunnieb

I am relaxed. I too have tried the scarf method and running my fingers through my hair, but nothing has helped to tame the frizzies.

Then it's probably your products. I know another poster mentioned a smoothing conditioner and I use Rusk Smoother. Have you tried different products?

Sent from my Comet

Kayluv

I haven't tried different products as I am really trying to whittle down the amount of products I use but I am open to suggestions.

Bublin

@Kayluv After my last post i tried Kimmaytube's Leave-in mix. It was the answer to my airdrying problems. maybe you could give it a try.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Have you tried a final ACV rinse (and product in the 4.5-5.5 ph level)...this will balance your ph levels and thus help close the cuticles = less frizz.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Kayluv - To get the perfect air dried hair, I tried a number of products before finding that perfect match. You might have to invest in other products although you are trying to reduce your stash.

Have you tried pulling the hair into a ponytail while air drying to help tame it and stretch your hair out? Where are the frizzies? Ends, crown, all over? Is your porosity in check? I was dealing with porosity issues last year and no matter how or what I tried, the air dried result was horrible. Now that I understand my hair's porosity and am using the right product, I don't have issues. Also, have you tried using a fine tooth comb to rake over the top layer for a sleek look on the top?