My Live Curly Live Free Hair Analysis Results

mg1979

So about 4 weeks ago, I mailed off a hair sample to get the Live Curly Live Free Hair Analysis from
http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/hair%20analysis.htm. It says for only $12.95, they will identify your hair texture, porosity and elasticity, provide information on understanding your hair properties, & the product ingredients that are beneficial for your hair type and the product ingredients you should avoid.

Here’s a summary of the results:
Your hair texture is: MEDIUM-COARSE
Your hair texture is determined by the diameter of the hair strand itself. Fine hair has the smallest diameter, coarse hair has the largest, and medium texture is somewhere in between. Medium hair is what is considered “normal” hair, meaning it has a mid-range texture. It does not require any special considerations for chemical services and usually processes normally. Undamaged hair with a medium texture usually has a “normal” amount of protein structure as well. Your hair does have some coarse characteristics as your hair strands have a slightly more substantial texture than those classified within the true medium texture range. They are not as thick or as strong as those with “classic” coarse hair texture, however.

Your hair porosity is: LOW
Porosity is the hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture. Porosity is a critically important factor in determining one's curly hair care. Since moisture is what defines and shapes curls, the inability to keep moisture within the hair shaft will defeat the most valiant efforts to maximize curl potential. Your degree of porosity is directly related to the condition of your cuticle layer. Healthy hair with a compact cuticle layer is naturally resistant to penetration. Porous hair has a raised cuticle layer that easily absorbs water, but is quick to lose moisture as well. Hair with low porosity is considered "resistant" hair. Low porosity is when the cuticle of the hair shaft is too compact and does not permit moisture to enter or leave the hair shaft easily. Hair with low porosity also has a tendency to repel product rather than to absorb it.

Your hair elasticity is: NORMAL
Elasticity is the ability of your hair to stretch and then return to its original length without breaking. It is an indication of how strong the side bonds are in your hair, which are the bonds that hold the individual protein chains of the hair strand into place. More than any other property, elasticity is what dictates your hair's ability to hold its curl, whether natural, or created by a wet set or perm. Hair with normal elasticity can be stretched when wet to up to 50% of its original length and will easily return back without breaking.

The Highlights Product/Ingredient Info
  • The usual avoid sulfates and silicones.
  • Protein: Hair with a medium-coarse texture typically has a decent, balanced hair structure and generally manufactures the right amount of protein support, strength and structure for itself. Penetrating products with protein as a key product ingredient, such as conditioners and deep treatments, are best avoided for undamaged medium-coarse textured hair. Too much additional protein provided by protein-based products that penetrate into the hair shaft can over-strengthen medium-coarse textured hair to the point that it becomes brittle and “straw-like.” Hair with a medium-coarse texture that is damaged or has any type of uncharacteristic degradation of the hair shaft, however, can sometimes benefit from a very occasional protein reconstruction on an as-needed basis.
  • Emollients: Undamaged medium-coarse hair only needs a consistent amount of moderate moisturizing products to stay healthy and hydrated. Extremely heavy emollient-based products used on a regular basis should be avoided as undamaged medium-coarse textured hair can eventually become limp, stringy and over-moisturized from heavy oils, creams or butters used on a too-frequent basis.
  • Gels: Because gels do not typically penetrate into the hair shaft, medium-coarse textured hair can occasionally support the use of protein-based gels without having any issues, but this is often the exception rather than the rule for this hair type. If you do not experience brittleness or a dry “straw-like” feeling in your hair shaft after using a protein-based gel, you may not be affected by the protein in gel styling aids. However, repeated and frequent use of protein-based gels on medium-coarse textured hair will often lead to issues with brittleness and dryness down the road.
So, this was helpful to me, because it also told me for sure to avoid heavy proteins, which I kind of thought I was protein sensitive but I keep experiencing breakage. Also, I wasn't for sure about the porosity-now I know for sure that I have low porosity. I just wish it explained what to do about low porosity and what specific products I should use based on the porosity and the medium coarse texture. At the time I ordered this, I didn’t realize I should have ordered the hair analysis from their sister site, Curl Wizard, to get a list of product recommendations: http://www.curlwizard.com/curlgenie%20profile.htm. So if you’re thinking about getting a hair analysis, it might be worth it to pay the $19.95 for the Curl Genie Premium Profile.

Here's a summary of the directions if you’re thinking about ordering (you only get them after you pay):
Take a sample of your hair. Before collecting the sample, make sure your hair is clean and free of all gels, mousses, oils, creams or other hair products (conditioner is okay). Take four to five hairs from each of the following locations on your head: the front hairline, the temples, the crown (the top of your head towards the back) and the nape of the neck. It does not matter if the root bulb (the part that is lodged into the hair follicle) is still attached; however, ensure that the hair sample is taken from within 1/2" of the scalp. You should end up with approximately 16-20 hairs total in your sample. After you have obtained your sample, place the hairs into a small, clean Ziploc bag and seal it shut.
For me, it was easier to pluck out the strands than to try to cut single hairs within ½ in of the scalp without cutting other hairs.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That's really cool! I might bite the bullet and try this, just because. :yep:

Thanks for sharing!

southerncitygirl

i want to do something similar to this but to test the levels of nutrients/toxins in my body....from my understanding the hair and nails are the last to get nutrients after the rest of the body has received what it needs.

this is a nice option for haircare and finding out what your hair may need to maintain its health.

yodie

OP
Thanks for sharing your results. It seems like both of these tests share the same results. I've been looking to get a hair mineral analysis. It's expensive $200 - $250. I'm also going to get my scalp check out at Regenix for free. Other ladies might be interested in Regenix as well. You can mail in samples. I believe the site is www.regenix.com

mg1979

I just wanted to add that I was kind of surprised to find my elasticity was normal because I do have problems with breakage. I knew I was protein sensitive so I avoid heavy proteins but was trying to use light ones to help with breakage. I wonder if the low porosity causing not enough moisture to absorb is really the cause of my breakage.

mg1979

Just ordered my analysis, Ill be back in a month or so when the results are in :grin:

BTW, the site says "WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR EMAILS THAT CANNOT BE DELIVERED OR ARE RETURNED DUE TO ANY SPAM BLOCKER SOFTWARE YOU MAY HAVE INSTALLED. To ensure you receive your analysis in a timely manner, please make sure we are on your approved list of senders." I had saved the email address I received the instructions from in my address book. I checked my spam folder just in case, and sure enough it still went in there. They sent the results from a different email address. So you might check your junk mail folder in about 3-4 weeks.

*CherryPie*

I learned how to do my own tests for ALL of that from LHCF and other boards and blogs. OP, i'm glad you can feel sure now.

Tchanelle

mg1979 No I didn't. On wash day I was rushing trying to get to my appointment so I forgot about it. I saw the box on my dresser when I got home but I was weaved up already :-(. Guess I'll have to wait until I take this down.