Low porosity hair & colour

bb09

Does anyone know how semi permanent colours (clear gazes) work on low porosity hair (semi perm since it's more readily available)? I was thinking of adding some to my deep conditioner, but would it make my cuticles even tighter?

*CherryPie*

Semi permanent hair color will open the cuticles. So that is a good thing. A lot of people use semi permanent hair color for that very reason.

I used permanent hair color. Now, I think my hair may no longer be low porosity, but highly porous now. Instead of the hair floating for "infinity and beyond", it now sinks rather quickly.

bb09

Semi permanent hair color will open the cuticles. So that is a good thing. A lot of people use semi permanent hair color for that very reason.

I used permanent hair color. Now, I think my hair may no longer be low porosity, but highly porous now. Instead of the hair floating for "infinity and beyond", it now sinks rather quickly.

*CherryPie* -wow, so colour can change the porosity of your hair.
I actually thought semi perm colour closed the cuticles.

I still want shiny hair though, so if I find a good brand, I'll prolly try it.

Are there any recommended brands (UK ladies)?

*CherryPie*

Yes. It sure can.:yep: I found that out in my research after learning that I had low porosity hair.

Rinses seal the cuticles because they coat the hair.

But semi and permanent dyes have to lift the cuticle in order for the color to enter.

Stick to a well known brand of hair color.

@*CherryPie* -wow, so colour can change the porosity of your hair.
I actually thought semi perm colour closed the cuticles.

I still want shiny hair though, so if I find a good brand, I'll prolly try it.

Are there any recommended brands (UK ladies)?

Embyra

Demi permanent hair colour contains a small amount of peroxide this will lift the cuticle some causing the colour to adhere better as it will sit IN the cuticle

Semi permanent hair colour coats the hair it has no ammonia no developer etc so no color is deposited inside the actual hair shaft it merely coats the hair shaft like a ''stain''

Demi is more of a ''risk'' compared to semi but if you want a lifting of the cuticles then go with demi

example manicpanic is semi permanent

yamilee21

Semi-permanent colour did nothing at all on my low-porosity hair. Good to know the difference between "semi-" and "demi-" permanent colour; I'll be sure to try the latter if I ever attempt to colour my hair again.

bb09

Question -if I add semi perm colour to my DC's, should I do that periodically, or every single week?

bb09

Also -how can you be sure you're buying a semi perm colour (I want clear for now), and not a rinse?

hair4today

Yes. It sure can.:yep: I found that out in my research after learning that I had low porosity hair.

But semi and permanent dyes have to lift the cuticle in order for the color to enter.

Cherrypie, I just figured out that I have low porosity hair. I recently tried a black rinse to cover my grays, it didn't take and now I know why. I really don't want to go the semi perm colour route - the thought of depositing colour in my cuticles scares the heck out of me ..my hair is finally at a good place, healthy and thriving so don't want to chance a set back. Do you think if I use my steamer to infuse the black rinse that I could see better results...thinking steaming would open up my closed cuticles and improve absorption of the black rinse? Appreciate any advice TIA.

Embyra

Cherrypie, I just figured out that I have low porosity hair. I recently tried a black rinse to cover my grays, it didn't take and now I know why. I really don't want to go the semi perm colour route - the thought of depositing colour in my cuticles scares the heck out of me ..my hair is finally at a good place, healthy and thriving so don't want to chance a set back. Do you think if I use my steamer to infuse the black rinse that I could see better results...thinking steaming would open up my closed cuticles and improve absorption of the black rinse? Appreciate any advice TIA.

hair4todayIm clearly not cherrypie :look: but im going to answer SEMI does not lift the cuticle you are not going to get colour IN your cuticles from SEMI .......that happens with DEMI

it is all discussed here
http://www.suite101.com/content/demi-semi-permanent-hair-colour-a52092

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=128190&highlight=demi+permanent

regular steaming will help your hair and using humectants

Last edited:

Embyra

Question -if I add semi perm colour to my DC's, should I do that periodically, or every single week?

bb09SEMI- will bleed more so deep conditioning weekly will just wash the product off the hair even more quickly

I wouldnt deep condition weekly with semi it seems pointless to me you will just be washing dye on and off wasting dye

If you do a DEMI you will find you can do more deep conditioning as your colour will grip more

*CherryPie*

Good catch Embyra ! Thanks for correcting me.:yep:

It is the Demi, not the Semi. :lol: :look:

All of this gets a little confusing after a while.:lol:

@hair4todayIm clearly not cherrypie :look: but im going to answer SEMI does not lift the cuticle you are not going to get colour IN your cuticles from SEMI .......that happens with DEMI

it is all discussed here

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=128190&highlight=demi+permanent

Embyra

Also -how can you be sure you're buying a semi perm colour (I want clear for now), and not a rinse?

neither a ''rinse'' or semi will stay in the cuticles they both wash off in 4-6 weeks

Sebastian Cellophanes is marketed as a ''cellophane''

Manicpanic ''semi permanent'' ..........both of them will be going down your drain in around a month:lol:

hair4today

hair4todayIm clearly not cherrypie :look: but im going to answer SEMI does not lift the cuticle you are not going to get colour IN your cuticles from SEMI .......that happens with DEMI

it is all discussed here

Thanks Embyra for the links to those additional threads. I'll read up to ensure that I make a well informed decision.

bb09

@bb09SEMI- will bleed more so deep conditioning weekly will just wash the product off the hair even more quickly

I wouldnt deep condition weekly with semi it seems pointless to me you will just be washing dye on and off wasting dye

If you do a DEMI you will find you can do more deep conditioning as your colour will grip more

neither a ''rinse'' or semi will stay in the cuticles they both wash off in 4-6 weeks

Sebastian Cellophanes is marketed as a ''cellophane''

Manicpanic ''semi permanent'' ..........both of them will be going down your drain in around a month:lol:
@Embyra -oh! Wow, thanks I didn't know that.
Have you used a demi perm colour before? Do you think it's worth it?

My hair's texlaxed. I want to start adding a clear gaze to my DC's for shinier hair, then heat is next /last. (I might try braidouts for a bit instead).

Embyra

@Embyra -oh! Wow, thanks I didn't know that.
Have you used a demi perm colour before? Do you think it's worth it?

My hair's texlaxed. I want to start adding a clear gaze to my DC's for shinier hair, then heat is next /last. (I might try braidouts for a bit instead).

bb09I havent used DEMI im going to use manicpanic which is SEMI this week providing my amino acids get here

I would use a demi providing the little peroxide in it wouldnt alter my curl in anyway:yep:

I heard LOTS and LOTS of GREAT reviews about sebastians clear glazes relaxed and naturals noticed a big difference and it seems to come out on top compared to other clear glazes ..rinses etc

bb09

@bb09I havent used DEMI im going to use manicpanic which is SEMI this week providing my amino acids get here

I would use a demi providing the little peroxide in it wouldnt alter my curl in anyway:yep:

I heard LOTS and LOTS of GREAT reviews about sebastians clear glazes relaxed and naturals noticed a big difference and it seems to come out on top compared to other clear glazes ..rinses etc
@Embyra -Okay, I see you're low porosity as well. I'm just not sure how to incorporate the colour yet.

I usually DC with heat for less than 1/2 hr, then I sleep with it in my hair overnight.. Not sure what to do now, bcos I know I can't just use a clear colour with heat weekly now.

How do you plan to incorporate colour to your regimen? Why are you choosing semi over demi? TIA!

Last edited:

Embyra

@Embyra -Okay, I see you're low porosity as well. I'm just not sure how to incorporate the colour yet.

I usually DC with heat for less than 1/2 hr, then I sleep with it in my hair overnight. Not sure what to do, bcos I know I can't use it (a clear colour) weekly with heat now.

How do you plan to incorporate colour to your regimen? Why are you choosing semi over demi?

bb09yeah im LOOOOOOOOOW porosity smh

If you still want to dc for 30 mins i would do that alone but would cut out leaving it in overnight perhaps up your humectants in your styling products for the next month and see how you get along?

demi can make your hair frizzy i already have a frizzy texture by nature so not trying to add to it :lol:but depending on my result i may look into it more

Im going to wash do my cherrylola treatment and then leave the dye in for as long as i can (virgin hair on the website got the best results when left in over night)

bb09

@bb09yeah im LOOOOOOOOOW porosity smh

If you still want to dc for 30 mins i would do that alone but would cut out leaving it in overnight perhaps up your humectants in your styling products for the next month and see how you get along?

demi can make your hair frizzy i already have a frizzy texture by nature so not trying to add to it :lol:but depending on my result i may look into it more

Im going to wash do my cherrylola treatment and then leave the dye in for as long as i can (virgin hair on the website got the best results when left in over night)
@Embyra -I don't know if I can give up DC'ing like that, bcos it might be good for the health of my hair.. I'm not sure about using a heat cap alone, bcos how do I know if the condish is really benefitting my hair? I know with @westNDNbeauty, overnight DC's trumped steaming and everything else.

So if I used a semi permanent colour (clear gaze) and do all that DC'ing, the colour will basically run quickly. Is there anyway of getting around that?

But with a demi permanent colour, I intend to add in heat (carefully and slowly).. I don't need help in the frizz dept :lol:. Is there anyway of getting around that?

bb09

So any ideas on which one I should go for?
I obviously don't want to throw away money (making the semi bleed quicker by DC'ing with heat /overnight),
or to damage my hair by using heat along with a demi perm colour.

Can all of that be avoided though? I don't know who colours here to tag /mention.

Embyra

@Embyra -I don't know if I can give up DC'ing like that, bcos it might be good for the health of my hair.. I'm not sure about using a heat cap alone, bcos how do I know if the condish is really benefitting my hair? I know with @westNDNbeauty, overnight DC's trumped steaming and everything else.

So if I used a semi permanent colour (clear gaze) and do all that DC'ing, the colour will basically run quickly. Is there anyway of getting around that?

But with a demi permanent colour, I intend to add in heat (carefully and slowly).. I don't need help in the frizz dept :lol:. Is there anyway of getting around that?

for your situation i would just do a demi then if overnight conditioning weekly is a must have all that deep conditioning will just bleed the colour even more it just seems like a waste to me

you cant really get away from stopping the bleeding of semi perm as thats the makeup of the product it will always bleed but you want to try preserve it as long as you can

As your doing overnight condtioning perhaps you will not suffer from the frizzies as much if you do demi the extra conditioning will be a plus:yep:

Last edited:

bb09

Embyra -Thanks so much. That was so helpful.
Last question hopefully :lol:, but are demi permanent colours sold readily in stores? How would you know what to pick up? I would obviously read the back of the box, but dye is another world for me.

Embyra

Embyra -Thanks so much. That was so helpful.
Last question hopefully :lol:, but are demi permanent colours sold readily in stores? How would you know what to pick up? I would obviously read the back of the box, but dye is another world for me.

no probs hun glad im of use :lol::hugxplode:

clairol natural instincts

clairol brass free

clairol all that shine

matrix COLOR SYNC

Ion Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Hair Color

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4434/Is--163-5-hair-colour-good--163-50-salon-one.html

Demi-Permanent LASTS up to 24 shampoos: Jo Hans-ford Couture Colour, £4.99 - available exclusively from Superdrug; Boots Simply Natural Level Two, £3.69; Schwarzkopf Country Colours, £4.99; Movida by Laboratoires Garnier, £4.49; Natural Instincts and Lasting Colour, both £4.69 by Clairol; Boots Simply Natural Semi Permanent Colour, £3.69. What they will do: Enhance your natural hair colour - tint mousy hair chestnut-brown or copper-red or add platinum highlights to a golden-blonde, for example, and cover up to 80 pc grey (but check the pack as grey coverage varies widely from product to product).
The effects will eventually fade, but will last considerably longer than a semi-permanent colour

those brands mentioned in daily mail are drugstore brands so they should be easy to get hold of if not........there always internet shopping:grin:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Bumping to ask a question. Can a permanent color also lift the cuticle w/o causing damage. I have a box of chi brilliance in rich ginger and wanted to try this as opposed to going out and buying a demi color.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

LightEyedMami

@ *CherryPie* I bought a small semi-permanent clear dye today!....I'm planning on using it, im low porosity so i have been scared but your post convinced me!...my hair has been sooo difficult lately, i am moisterizing twice a day, and DC'ing 1-2x weekly and my hair is STILL dry!...i hope this will help!...im scared but honestly at this point i have nothing to lose. :ohwell: