Fine haired type 4 naturals MBL and longer...

ajoke

...please share your regimens.
My hair is vey fine, so no matter how much I crave sausage like twists, mine look like tarantulas to use Nonie's words.
No matter what I do or how gentle I am, my hair always breaks off. I would like to learn what made the difference for you in your hair growth journey.

What I just learnt today via Tinukewilson.blogspot.com

1) too frequent washing is not necessarily good for fine hair( i did know that actually)

2) heavy cream based moisturisers are best avoided

Feel free to add more tips.

TIA.

Tif392002

Thats a good question, cuz im fine haired too, those 2 tips above i agree with them.. i hope some MBL fine hairs chime in.

ErikaUK

Yes, I'd love to hear from fine long haireds too. The last time I did small twists I had tremendous breakage :(

Tif392002

yep same here, i cant wear small twist . if i do i cant wear them too long, or they start to tangle up .

PPGbubbles

I would love to hear responses! I wonder how the haircare game changes with length for us fine haired ladies

davisbr88

Would love responses as well.
I've just about given up on hoping for SSK-free hair and am wondering what other fine-haired ladies have done.

Amoreofcurls

Im not MBL yet, but im grazing BSL and love to share with you what helped me...

Cassia Obovata has strengthened, and thickened my strands like no other, along with other benefits. Before it, wet detangling was :nono: for me. I knew it was working for me when that changed...
Here's a thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=271409&highlight=cassia
Here are my results from it
http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/my-first-cassia-tre/

I've never had an issue with detangling but oil rinsing makes tangles melt away,shed hair just slides right out,my hair feels stronger, and I barely loose any during the process. I wear wash n goes often during the summer I don't even get SSKs as much because of oil rinsing...I do this 2-3 times a week since I DC bi-weekly, and this gives my hair the same feel DCing does...
Here's a thread on it
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

When its cool outside, like someone else said, frequent washing isn't necessary, but moisture upkeep is. I DC weekly (consistently), moisturize and seal almost daily or every other day. I stick to my regular water/aloe/cream based moisturizer but I bring out the heavy oils to seal like JB/Castor oil mixed with Crisco...

I keep my hair in stretched state (twist/braid/bantu knot outs) so my strands don't get a chance to tangle over the week, and all I have to do is prepoo dry with coconut/vatika oil to remove shed hair before washing...Many other naturals PS to protect their ends around this time...

Here's my regimen

Weekly Regimen (biweekly for warm weather, weekly for cold weather)

PRE WASH
Pre poo w/Vatika Oil the night before or a couple of hours before...
Part hair in as many sections as you need
Remove shed hair by gently tugging hair from root to tip with finger pads...
Clip hair up in 4 sections

CLEANSE
hair in sections (usually do 4)
One section at a time apply shampoo to scalp and massage
While rinsing smooth hair downwards, to minimize shrinking and tangling,twist back up
Allow hair to get 80% dry

DEEP CONDITION
Apply DC mix to dry hair
Steam for 30mins or leave in overnight
Rinse with cold water

ACV Rinse (to seal cuticles)

2tbspn ACV to 8oz Distlilled water
Spray in, leave in for 3-5 mins
Rinse with cool water (not completely)

MOISTURIZE & SEAL
Style

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I'm not MBL or longer but I'm close. I'm at BSL right now, hoping to be MBL by the end of the year.

I do twists all the time but I've been resigned to never having juicy twists because it's not gonna happen for me.

Protein helps me a lot. I have to keep my hair strong so I henna once a month and I make sure I use coconut oil.

I've also moved back to protective styling. My retain length is ok without doing them but nothing like when I consistently twist my hair up. Keeping the hair stretched out is the best thing for me.

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

Thanks for this thread, OP! I'm a fine 4A/4B (SL) and sometimes the advice given to other type four's don't apply to my hair. I guess people assume that all type four's have a coarse texture.

Heavy, thick creams and butters just "sit" on my hair -- it hates shea butter.

Weaves, extensions, and braids are not the answer -- might get it in simply french braids (with extensions) once or twice a year... it weighs down the strands and I get more shedding.

Flat-ironing, blowdrying, or pressing is a special occassion -- the heat setting has to be low so that there will be no heat damage; I also space out my straightenings so the hair has time to "bounce" back.

Hersheygurl

Sorry OP, I'm not 100% natural yet, but i'm a fine-haired transitioner with a lot of natural hair now. I've also made it to MBL and grazing waist many times with relaxed fine hair, which (IMO) is prone to breakage. Part of my decision to transition was due to the fact that I felt my fine hair would be stronger without chemicals. Here are some of my fine-haired retention tips:

I CW often and have started doing oil rinses to help with detangling ( huge help!)

I never comb and rarely manipulate my hair in its dry state.

I usually dry it stretched

I alternate between a protein and moisture leave-in spritz to try to keep a balance. Also, a few times a month, I will apply egg to my hair, concentrating on the length and ends, since they're the oldest, and let it sit for a while before washing. Henna is also my friend.

I make it a point to try to keep my ends put away somehow by bunning, or tucking them away in an octopus clip.

I very seldom use heat anymore.

Goombay_Summer

WSL 4b natural checking in (I'm so claiming it under the Hair Bible extreme long hair growth chapter 3:10), crazy ramblings but IMHO it counts if you are not doing the gangster lean and that lone ragged hair strand which I'm calling a lead crosses the fine line from MBL to WSL.

I try hard to keep my regimen uber simple because of the very fine strands and the fact that my hair tangles at the drop of a hat.

I avoid over manipulating my hair, I find that for our hair type less is definitely more which means that I only wash, deep condition, and use my bourgeois/bootleg steam method my hair on Sundays and this also translates into only CW once a week as well.

* I avoid bandwagon hoping because my hair is which to divorce me if a make the wrong move as the true diva she is she will not tolerate certain products or tools, we are still recovering from the tangle tweeze.

Regimen
1) Kathy Howse method, which is alternating between moisture and protein, and I also tweak her protein reconstructor recipe to suit my particular needs.

2) I also religiously wash my hair in eight sections using hair clips because I do not feel like crying or looking up into the heaven wailing why me when she becomes a tangled mass.

3) Keeping my natural hair stretched in braids; apparently, she hates buns like a passion in her natural state and shows her contempt by tangling into a giant barbwire and very matted ball.

4) I also give her the occasional heat treat, which means that she gets blow-dried and flat ironed using the appropriate heat protection of course because we practice safe-heat in our house.

*** This month we are considering using henna for the first time, I want to thicken my strands even though I have heard that for fine hair ladies it can be a nightmare to wash out. I may also use Aloe Vera juice/gel to help melt away the tangles.

Attachments

• 190.jpg
    190.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

ajoke

Wow hanna_light, thanks for chiming in! Have you got any pictures of your hair in it curly state?
Also, how do you wear your hair on a daily basis, and how long has it taken you to reach WSL?
I also tried wet bunning, before realising - not for my hair type. Thank God I didn't lose too much hair with that experiment, unlike the frequent washing experiment. Sigh.

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
...lurking...

I'm near BSL and hoping to be able to add to this thread in the future.

scarcity21

WSL 4b natural checking in (I'm so claiming it under the Hair Bible extreme long hair growth chapter 3:10), crazy ramblings but IMHO it counts if you are not doing the gangster lean and that lone ragged hair strand which I'm calling a lead crosses the fine line from MBL to WSL.

I try hard to keep my regimen uber simple because of the very fine strands and the fact that my hair tangles at the drop of a hat.

I avoid over manipulating my hair, I find that for our hair type less is definitely more which means that I only wash, deep condition, and use my bourgeois/bootleg steam method my hair on Sundays and this also translates into only CW once a week as well.

* I avoid bandwagon hoping because my hair is which to divorce me if a make the wrong move as the true diva she is she will not tolerate certain products or tools, we are still recovering from the tangle tweeze.

Regimen
1) Kathy Howse method, which is alternating between moisture and protein, and I also tweak her protein reconstructor recipe to suit my particular needs.

2) I also religiously wash my hair in eight sections using hair clips because I do not feel like crying or looking up into the heaven wailing why me when she becomes a tangled mass.

3) Keeping my natural hair stretched in braids; apparently, she hates buns like a passion in her natural state and shows her contempt by tangling into a giant barbwire and very matted ball.

4) I also give her the occasional heat treat, which means that she gets blow-dried and flat ironed using the appropriate heat protection of course because we practice safe-heat in our house.

*** This month we are considering using henna for the first time, I want to thicken my strands even though I have heard that for fine hair ladies it can be a nightmare to wash out. I may also use Aloe Vera juice/gel to help melt away the tangles.

Whats the cathy howse method? Thanx

LayneJ

I'm a little past MBL.

My regimen:

- Wash and condition 2-4x/month (I sometimes wet my hair a few times a week though)
- Moisturize several times weekly with spray bottle filled with water+condish+coconut oil
- Deep condition as needed with castor or coconut oil
- Low manipulation: I'm style-challenged anyway :lol:

freecurl

I wish I had the holy grail regimen to help retain length. I'm still trying to figure this out. I believe my hair should be a lot longer by now, but because of frayed ends, I'm here.:ohwell:
-I'm learning that I need products like cassia and protein to make my hair more durable/less fragile. So tempted to try henna...but I'm afraid of the permanent nature of the product as well as the curl loosening effect.
-Keeping my hair strands separated, ie. the curly primer method to help cut down on matting and tangling.
-Keeping my hair stretched, as in braid-outs.
-Testing out oil-rinsing and sealing with petrolatum to cut down on SSks.