Relaxed Heads - How often do you moisturize?

How often do you moisturize???

• 1-2x daily

Votes: 158 60.1%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 65 24.7%
  • As needed (explain)

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters

sunnieb

How often do you moisturize with a leave-in?

What do you use?

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?

sunnieb

My answers:

2x a day, everyday! :grin:

What do you use?

ORS Carrot Oil and NTM Silk Touch Leave-in

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?

I use the exact same products, but I don't have to use as much as I had to use as first. My hair was so dry and unhealthy in the beginning that I used to have to carry around a little spray bottle with diluted NTM because my hair would dry out by noon everyday. :nono:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

when my hair feels dry when my hair is up. When I wear my hair down I moisturize 2x's a day, in the morning just the top layer. In the evening the entire head.

What do you use?

Spring/Summer:moisture only no protein in product:Jessicurl Aloeba daily conditioner, This is a moisture product with protein in the ingredientsProfective mega growth breakfree or Millcreek Biotin (this is strictly a protein product

fall/winter: I mix kkkt with whole foods conditioner and 1T hempseed oil and distilled water

I was moisturizing and sealing everyday with moisture heavy products and my hair rebelled, I always had breakage in my hands, not much though.

Once I stopped sealing I got less breakage.

Once I incorporated a leave-in with protein I got even less breakage.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Myjourney2009 - you have the thickest, healthiest looking ends! I'm definitely taking notes!

Awww thank you. That is such a compliment coming from someone whose hair I admire.

The reason why ends are so thick is because I only relax my nape 2x's a year. I've done it already in June and I wont be doing them again until December.

WaistLengthDreams

I moisturize a 1 to 2 times a week, but it's mainly dictated by how my hair feels

What do you use?
I use Hawaiian silky 14 in 1, or water for mid week refresher. But leave-in is GVP PM The Conditioner, GVP Potion 9, or Aphogee green tea mist.

Before I did it every day (sometimes twice a day), but that wasn't sustainable so now I don't.

Also, I used to just apply the moisturizer to my whole head at once. Now, I apply the moisturizer in smaller sections from root to tip. Maybe 4 to 8 sections depending on how dry my hair is feeling.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
IntheMix08

I forgot I had the GVP.. #9. I read so many reviews that it was good only for blowdrying. I was going to return it because I did not need another blow dry creme.

I liked how it smelled so I was hesitant.

After reading your post and seeing you use it as a leave-in, I decided to give it a try tonight before rolling my hair. WELL, I love it.

I first applied my Qhemet burdock root creme and then the #9 on top and my hair drank it up. The root creme did nothing but these two together has my hair feeling so got dang silky/soft I cant believe it. I guess I will be keeping the #9. I cant wait to see how my hair turns out tomorrow

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Every night ( I could go every other night but I don't because I'm not heavy handed and the products don't feel heavy or greasy on my hair)

What do you use?
Beauty Without Cruelty daily leave-in conditioner
Seal with Gleau oil blend
In the beginning I used biolage daily leave in tonic (stopped due to ingredients) and then I used Aloe vera juice (stopped just because I found what I'm currently using). AVJ is still a winner.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Twice a Day. I'm Wiggin' it, 5 Days a Week; so I spritz, apply L-I and seal.

Right now I'm using Njoi Creations Herbal Tea Hair Spritz, Claudie Quinoa & Coffee #1 Hair Cream and Sealing with Enso's Serum.

I use a variety of things:

QB AOHC, BRBC
Hairveda Whipped Ends Hydration
Darcy's Botancials Transitioning Hair Cream
Aveda Universal Styling Hair Cream
Claudie Satin Hair Lotion
Hydratherma Naturals Hair Lotion
My Honey Child Hair Lotions
Tiiva Green Tea Hair Lotion
Enso's Blue Malva Hair Lotion
Claudie Isha Hair Cream
Komaza Shea Butter Lotion
AV Ginger Root Hair Cream

For Spritz's:

Enso's Sweet Agave Nectar & Flaxseed
Afroveda's Moringa & Ginseng
Jasmine's Silk Detangler
Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Booster
Njoi Herbal Tea Hair Spritz
MyHoneyChild Herbal Hair Cocktail
WEN* Have Fig/Sweet Almond Spritz's haven't tried yet*

The Difference:

Wiggin' It. I've upped my Moisturizing & Sealing since being under the Wig (PS). Deep into my Stretch I'll occasionally "Baggy" a few hours before bedtime, if I feel my hair needs it.

taz007

How often do you moisturize with a leave-in? I am gonna have to say that it is closer to never lately (the past year). Hangs head in shame. :nono:

What do you use? Uh, see above. I am surprised that I still have hair on my head.

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey? In the beginning, I used to moisturize, steam, condition, co-wash, henna, errything, etc 1-2 times per day.

I'm 'bout to up my moisturizing game, however, starting tomorrow. I mixed up some homemade conditioner that I can't wait to try.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Mostly 1x

What do you use?
Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer

Use to moisturize 2x daily, now I can get by with 1x

WaistLengthDreams

IntheMix08

I forgot I had the GVP.. #9. I read so many reviews that it was good only for blowdrying. I was going to return it because I did not need another blow dry creme.

I liked how it smelled so I was hesitant.

After reading your post and seeing you use it as a leave-in, I decided to give it a try tonight before rolling my hair. WELL, I love it.

I first applied my Qhemet burdock root creme and then the #9 on top and my hair drank it up. The root creme did nothing but these two together has my hair feeling so got dang silky/soft I cant believe it. I guess I will be keeping the #9. I cant wait to see how my hair turns out tomorrow

Myjourney2009
I'm glad you like it too. I know it's more protein than moisture compared to other leave-ins, but I like it.

againstallodds

Every night.

What do you use?

Hairveda Whipped Creme Ends Hydration
HE LTR

I part my hair in four sections rather than just applying to the length in one big pony.
Pay special attention to my ends.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
sunnieb - I'd take MJ's (Myjourney2009) head of hair anyday. It's gorgeous! I love the density and sheen. Excellent progress MJ! :yep:

againstallodds - Whipped Ends makes my hair sticky. Do you use a very tiny amount? Perhaps I used too much.

Diva girl thank you very much but I still have a long way to go. I have so many different textures running around in here because I still have not gotten the self relaxing down yet. Your length is what I hope to have one day. Sometimes the density of my hair gets to me but I just deal with it. I cant imagine dealing with this hair at your length.

Give yourself some credit your hair looks great.

Oh and that sheen is from GVP Chi silk infusion

HauteHippie

I just realized that I voted incorrectly. Or well... it depends. If I'm wearing a twist-out, I moisturize a couple of times a week. I pretty much moisturize my edges daily and the top of my hair...and the back. I'm probably neglecting the middle.

What do you use? Spray with Aussie Moist or Jane Carter Leave-In, then Giovanni Direct-In, then Jane Carter Nourish and Shine at least on my ends.

I used to be a Mixtress. I still like/use aloe/water, but I don't feel like mixing up a whole bunch of stuff. I use Aussie Moist instead of aloe/water more now b/c that's what I have. I'll probably snip off a piece of my beautiful aloe leaf to put in my Aussie Moist soon. My (male) roommates are going to think I'm so weird...

LushLox

Once a day, at night before donning the scarf. I do not use a lot though as I progress further into my stretch I use more.

What do you use?
I rotate between:-

Darcy's Botanical Peach Kernal Creme
HairVeda Whipped Ends
Neutrogena Triple Silk
Keracare Creme Hairdress
Keracare Moisturising Overnight Treatment
Phytospecific Ultra Repair Night Treatment
Seal with Gleau oil

Not much, I'm not as heavy handed with it, and I know what products I need to use at different stages of my stretch. I've also incorporated the use of overnight treatments which I have found very beneficial. My hair seems much stronger now overall.

Mische

Twice a day. I moisturize and seal about an hour before bed and then again in the morning. During my morning routine I use less sections and product. It's really just for fun--moisturizing and sealing is my favorite part of my regimen. :lol:

What do you use?

Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme sealed with either Nutiva unrefined coconut oil or Hairveda Vatika Frosting.

I now apply in multiple sections on each side starting from the bottom up in layered sections. My hair isn't all one length, and when I stopped acting like it was I saw a huge difference in breakage. I used to just plop it on and the only layer of hair reaping any benefits was the top.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Myjourney2009 - (((hugs))) thank you for the compliment. I have the Silk Infusion and shoot, I didn't get all that sheen. Are you sure you're not holding back some secret potion? :grin:

MissMusic

How often do you moisturize?
3x's a week

1x on wash day

What do you use?
Elasta QP Mango Butter or Bee Mine Luscious

The frequency, I used to moisturize every day, twice a day, but I've learned that if I use the right products to clean and moisturize my hair on wash day, my hair will stay moisturized a long time, so I do not have to moisturize until about the end of the week.

On wash day, I follow my regimen, ending by spraying my leave-in on and applying Hemp seed butter to my ends. This leaves my hair moisturized for at least 4 days, I apply castor oil to my ends about the 2nd and 3rd day after washing to ensure they continue to act right, and then on days 4 and 6 I moisturize my ends, no sealing.

Last edited:

Dommo

Wash day only (could be once a week, sometimes twice or when i'm lazy in 10 days)

I don't like greasy or weighed down hair and I don't need it since I deep condition.

What do you use?

-Oribe supershine moisturizing cream
-Kerastase Nutri-thermique or ciment thermique(if I need a lil something extra)
-Kerastase Masquintense (i experiment and always come back to this)

When I started I used to jump on all of these band wagons and use all of this oil, pre-poo, steam, henna, etc.

I realized that none of that is necessary and I get the best results doing what I've always done which is to deep condition on wash day, use a light leave-in, drink plenty of water and exercise.

LiftedUp

I use a leave-in once per week while my hair is wet. I do it more for strength than moisture. I use ORS Leave-in.

I moisturize with a moisturizer every other day. I use ORS Hair Fertilizer.\

I do however use the carrot oil in the tube daily.

What do you use?

I no longer moisturize twice daily. My hair retains moisture better now and what it doesn't need just sits there and makes my hair greasy.

Bnster

2 x day

What do you use?
Mostly use a water base leave-in - NTM
If my hair is not responding to it I will then turn to a oil base - Beemine Luscious Leave-In conditioner.
Seal with oil

B4 my journey I never moisturized my hair so dry city. When I started I was looking for products that worked for my hair and didn't find it until I stumble upon NTM. The combination of washing my hair more, doing DC and putting in leave-ins has helped my hair from being dried out and soft. I just try not to be heavy handed.
I find once you stick to a product you know how much you need so your hair isn't greasy.

hothair

Usually once a day. If it needs more I would do more, I use Giovanni Direct leave in and seal lightly with almond/EVOO mix. I tend to not moisturise the first day or two after I wash.