Emergency, Coconut Oil Disaster!!!!!!!!!!

OsnapCnapp!

Hello everyone,

Today I put coconut oil in my hair with hopes of doing a successful hot oil treatment. Um....nope. This coconut oil has completely and totally depleted any little bit of moisture from my strands! It is hard, dry, and brittle as all get out. I mean.....nothing I put on my hair is letting moisture into these strands.
I have:

-Aussie 3 min miracle
-CON Argan oil intensive treatment
-Giovanni deeper moisture

Nothing is working. I put it on and rinse and the hair is dry brittle. I do not know what to do and I am panicking and freaking out. :pullhair: Moisture has literally been sucked out by coconut oil and none is getting back in. I need help with getting moisture back in my hair ladies!!!! Please please help! Im natural mostly 4b with little 4a in the back. My hair is not happy. Its dry while wet if you can believe that and falling out all over the place. It needs moisture but how do I get it in the strands???? AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

fatimablush

the same thing happened with me...
i know how you feel.

i just washed my hair again and did a moisturizing dc and moisturzing leave in.

i just use coconut oil on my body and not on my hair.

allmundjoi

Oh dang! I am sorry! Have you tried to deep condition with heat/steamer? Perhaps try a DC with a creamy conditioner, like AOHSR, with a little honey mixed in. Leave in for 30-45min with heat, or heck leave in until the am. I recently had a mishap with a shampoo that left my hair stripped and brittle. I used what I just recommended over night, my hair was pretty much back to normal the next am. I then dc'd a day after with the same concoction w/heat and my hair loved me for it. I am a 4ab mix. Goodluck OP.

Sent from my DROIDX

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm not necessarily a proponent of overnight Deep Conditioning, but perhaps you could DC overnight with a Moisturizing DC'er.

Arcadian

Sounds to me that you need to clarify. I can't use coconut oil on its own, only in a deep conditioner. It otherwise make my hair Sahara Desert dry.

So would suggest you just start over and not use Coconut oil this time, or, just use it as apart of a oil mixture.

-A

OsnapCnapp!

Thank you @ everyone for your replies. I am truly grateful for you all. I have the creme of nature moroccan oil intensive conditioning treatment. I also would like to maybe clarify. Would I be able to reverse this successfully if I did it with ACV?

@Arcadian When I was rinsing my hair, that's EXACTLY the scenario I had in my head: "Dang it feels like I have just been sitting in the sun for a week straight, wth!"

hothair

Have you shampoo-ed with warm water? Or a clarifying shampoo if your hair feels very coated.

OsnapCnapp!

Have you shampoo-ed with warm water? Or a clarifying shampoo if your hair feels very coated.

It feels like straw. And I mean dry, brittle straw. I run water over it.....its still straw. Put the conditioners in.....utter straw. I am wondering about ACV????

davisbr88

Same thing happened to me. My hair hates plain coconut oil. I washed and DC'ed overnight and I was okay.

Krystle~Hime

This happened to me a year ago. I was almost crying:lol: (yeah i can laugh about it now !) but seriously, why this stuff works wonder on some and on some others : ITS A DISASTER ???????????????????

maybe if we do a poll we will know on which hair type(the most) coconut oil is a disaster. I'm not talking about the andre walkter type system which is a :down: for me(seriously, not smart) but options like "fine hair" or "high porosity" "low porosity" "colored" "humidity climat..?" things like dat.

my hair is fine with low porosity and coconut oil is a disaster on me.

and for at least answering for op, it made one week to restore my hair, after several DC :ohwell: . but feel free to follow the "clarifying first + DC" advice, cause claryfiying hair from coconut oil first seems to be a must before restore moisture.
give us updates :yep:

LynnieB

I can't do coconut oil either and no matter how many times I've tried to use it, it always makes straw/hay feeling hair, not good.

I had to do what some of these ladies already suggested, clarify and recondition.

Sidenote: I've found olive oil never leaves my hair feeling crispy. Perhaps give that a try next time and see how it works for you.

AuNaturalMaMa

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say I hope you get the advice you seek. Thank goodness for this forum! Imagine if you didn't have such helpful ladies! GOOD LUCK!

davisbr88

maybe if we do a poll we will know on which hair type(the most) coconut oil is a disaster. I'm not talking about the andre walkter type system which is a :down: for me(seriously, not smart) but options like "fine hair" or "high porosity" "low porosity" "colored" "humidity climat..?" things like dat.

Fine, porous, and living in a moderately humid climate. Although, when I had that mishap a year ago, I was in a verrrry humid climate. I haven't tried it again since moving and never plan to. Ever.

lboogie2679

When I use coconut oil it only takes about eight drops to cover my whole head. With coconut oil a little goes a long way! When this happened to me I clarified and then moisturizing dc and my hair was back to normal. HTH

OsnapCnapp!

When I use coconut oil it only takes about eight drops to cover my whole head. With coconut oil a little goes a long way! When this happened to me I clarified and then moisturizing dc and my hair was back to normal. HTH

Would it be safe to clarify with ACV?

LynnieB

This happened to me a year ago. I was almost crying:lol: (yeah i can laugh about it now !) but seriously, why this stuff works wonder on some and on some others : ITS A DISASTER ???????????????????

and for at least answering for op, it made one week to restore my hair, after several DC :ohwell: . but feel free to follow the "clarifying first + DC" advice, cause claryfiying hair from coconut oil first seems to be a must before restore moisture.
give us updates :yep:

I'm natural somewhere between 3c and 4a with extremes. My hair has both normal and low porosity strands depending on the sizes and texture of the strand itself. It is kinky and curly. I have fine, medium and coarse strands (resistant to relaxing and would be first to revert from heat straightening). Some strands are very flat and some are more rounded. CO on the medium and coarse strands is an epic fail to the point where detangling was nightmare and painful. The hair actually refused to separate so a comb could go through and it all felt greasy yet very dry all at the same time. The finer hair didn't seem to care but the finer hair is not in the majority.

I've tried it during the winter and summer and it just doesn't matter. It doesn't work for me. I've also used it on wet hair, dry hair and heat styled hair, all are :ohwell:

Olive oil otoh causes none of these problems and all hair strands and textures can cohabitate on my scalp peacefully. :lachen:

Interesting question that should be an OP. I wonder why it works for some and not others?

Edit to correct last sentence.

Last edited:

Billygirl61

I my experience when I use coconut oil my hair is damp or wet and when I wash it out my hair is very soft and moist. I do not apply to dry hair
HTH

frizzy

Thank you @ everyone for your replies. I am truly grateful for you all. I have the creme of nature moroccan oil intensive conditioning treatment. I also would like to maybe clarify. Would I be able to reverse this successfully if I did it with ACV?

@Arcadian When I was rinsing my hair, that's EXACTLY the scenario I had in my head: "Dang it feels like I have just been sitting in the sun for a week straight, wth!"

It feels like straw. And I mean dry, brittle straw. I run water over it.....its still straw. Put the conditioners in.....utter straw. I am wondering about ACV????

Would it be safe to clarify with ACV?

Poor baby, sorry this has happened to your hair. First off, I would stay away from the ACV for the moment. ACV will close the cuticle of your hair instead of letting moisture you need inside. I use an ACV rinse after all the moisture I need is in.

It sounds like you need to clarify IMO, too. Start over with a clean slate.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Yes, hurry up and clarify so you can deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner! Leave the ACV alone for now.

CrueltyFree

Read this stuff:

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/coconut-oil-knowledge-from-our.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/reader-questions-coconut-oil-before.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/10/guide-to-using-ingredients-coconut-oil.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/reader-questions-coconut-oil-and.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/readers-questions-moisture-issue-so-far.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-important-is-water.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/mineral-oil-proof-is-not-in-hair.html

IMO and IME, coconut oil is best used as a pre-treatment. It serves the most benefit that way. Sometimes I can use it (my Njoi sweet coconut pomade) to "moisturize" my hair if I don't feel like putting anything else in my hair, but I don't do that often and when I do do that I make sure my hair is moisturized with water.

To pre treat I just put it on dirty hair. I like to spritz with water before I apply the oil because I feel it penetrates better.

If your hair is feeling extra crispy, put some olive oil and or honey in your conditioner. I think honey can make things better. I recently had a horrible conditioner but instead of throwing it away I put honey in it and it made it a whole lot better. Or, you can just use equal parts honey and olive oil as a DC or as a pre poo and wash and DC.

Hope that helps

*C00KIE*

I read somewhere coconut oil can act as a protein. When the hair gets hard after using coconut oil most of the time i believe its because too much is being used or your hair just need a lighter oil

Krystle~Hime

Fine, porous, and living in a moderately humid climate. Although, when I had that mishap a year ago, I was in a verrrryhumid climate. I haven't tried it again since moving and never plan to. Ever.

OMG this is me !!! fine hair with low porosity and I live in Paris, France, and climate is so humid, mainly summer.

we are two !!! :rolleyes:

prettyhair73

Coconut oil did wonders on my hair, especially for the length. I slathered it on every other night and grew my hair longer than ever. I haven't done a length check since March but I know it's grown some more because my roots are a different texture than the rest of my hair.

I don't use the oil heated though.

AimWard

I'm natural somewhere between 3c and 4a with extremes. My hair has both normal and low porosity strands depending on the sizes and texture of the strand itself. It is kinky and curly. I have fine, medium and coarse strands (resistant to relaxing and would be first to revert from heat straightening). Some strands are very flat and some are more rounded. CO on the medium and coarse strands is an epic fail to the point where detangling was nightmare and painful. The hair actually refused to separate so a comb could go through and it all felt greasy yet very dry all at the same time. The finer hair didn't seem to care but the finer hair is not in the majority.

I've tried it during the winter and summer and it just doesn't matter. It doesn't work for me. I've also used it on wet hair, dry hair and heat styled hair, all are :ohwell:

Olive oil otoh causes none of these problems and all hair strands and textures can cohabitate on my scalp peacefully. :lachen:

Interesting question that should be an OP. I wonder why it works for some and not others?

Edit to correct last sentence.

WoW! I'm also 4A/3Cish with a combo of porosities on my head and my hair behaves the EXACT same way with coconut oil. It loves heavy oils and butters like olive oil, castor oil, and shea butter, but if I come anywhere near it with some coconut oil... Dry, brittle, greasy mess! It acts the same way with glycerin as well.

Last edited:

Soquin

What kind of coconut oil are you ladies using? You should use unrefined organic coconut oil. Also, if you allow the oil to sit any room temperature ( or slightly warmer) it will turn into a liquid. This should penetrate the hair and moisturize the ends :)

frizzy

Another thought about how the coconut oil reacted on your hair. What was the temperature in the room, were you under an AC vent? CO will get stiff/hard at temps under 75 just like it does in the jar. It's a stretch, but it's something to consider.

WyrdWay

When ever ladies on here ask about getting oil out of hair the first thing I think of is using dishwashing liquid, if you don't have other things in the house. Watered down of course.

Hope your hair is doing better OP

NIN4eva

I would lay off the kitchen stuff for a bit (ACV, oils, etc) get yourself a clarifying shampoo, some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner and nurse your strands back to health for a few months. DC a few times per week if you have the time. Once your hair is feeling healthy again I think it would be safe to go back to your home remedy type stuff if you feel the need to experiment more.

Also, what are you using for leave-ins?