Newcomer's Growing Out Club - SECOND MILESTONE

LoriLOCX

----------------------------------
SECOND MILESTONE:

Hello Everybody!!!!!
Hopefully we've gotten a handle on a new regime, had time to put it into action, and are now monitoring our progress. We are going to continue to post our questions and results during the month of April.

1) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????

2) Post your progress here....
- Have you stuck to your outlined routine?
- If you've changed any products or part of your process, what is/was it???
- Do you have any questions about your process or your progress???

3) What protective styles are you currently wearing?
Please post your step-by-step instructions on how to re-create it, if you haven't already. Please tell us what products you use to do it.

4) Product Reviews everyone?????

Last edited by a moderator:

c_octavia

2) Progress.. I have about a 1/4 inch of new growth, more at the crown.
-Have I stuck to my routine? Yea pretty much. took a 2 day break from daily washing challenge over the weekend.
-Have I changed any products or parts of my process? No. not really
-Do I have any questions aabout my process/progress? Not really everything seems to be working, the condition of my hair has greatly improved.

3) What protective styles are you currently wearing? I've just been wearing my hair in buns since I started the daily washing challenge. When I would wash every 2-3 days I would some times wear cornrows/braid outs, and two strand flat twist.
Please tell us what products you use to do it. The products I use for my bun: After applying leave in I put Keracare oil moisturizer w/ jojoba oil all through out my hair, then apply jojoba, and shea butter oils on my ends. I put shealoe all through my hair and slick it back into a bun and cover tight with a satin scarf to keep it smooth as it dryes. So it looks decient in the event I need to run out of the house.

4) Product Reviews? No new products to review :( Bf thinks I'm turnin in to a PJ.. (okay I am) So Im taking a break from buying untill I run out of a few things.

Ashee

Finally I can catch up!

[1) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????

No Questions!

*2) Post your progress here....

For the most part, yes. My Winter Routine is really good & needs a few tweeks. I'm working on a Summer one and I like the products so far.

Yes, I've decided on certain oils to use, I now use Amla Oil & Garlic as my main pre-treatment oils. I am going to allow my heat for drying but still not as often as I used to. Still as needed but I will straighten my roots & ends for the stretch outs & to help eliminate tangles in the roots!

Not as of now

*3) What protective styles are you currently wearing?
Please post your step-by-step instructions on how to re-create it, if you haven't already. Please tell us what products you use to do it.

Buns at night, Doughnut Buns during the day: The DSD Technique, Phony Ponies & Instant Weave with Cornrwows in the back area

*4) Product Reviews everyone?????
There is a forum on the board to specifically review products. Please go there and post your product review. Let's make full use of this site. By posting them there, others can find them as well.

In a week I will have somethings...
:)

DangerouslyShy

1. No questions from me!!

I have stuck to my routine, I did a little change of plans instead of doing the baggie challenge for a month i will be wearing a sew-in. I want to stick with what works for my hair. Surging challenge, and co-wash challenges are still on!!

3. I am wearing a sew-in weave....I cornrowed my hair vertical...left my edges out and enough hair to cover the weft, and than sewed in one weft at a time, until I was done. Co-washed and go.

4. Im still stuck on NTM deep recovery mask....

carribslc

1) Read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????
No Questions :)

Yes, I added daily co-washes, but I've toned them down because of new growth. [2-3 days/wk]
No changes - but my next conditioner for co-washes will be Suave Humectant
Yes!!! I found out that the pH of the relaxer I was using was too high. Is there low pH relaxer that anyone can recommend? I'm 4a/b

Same as before - black wrap and phony pony

None

jaded_faerie

Hey ladies :wave:

1) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????

NO questions

- Have you stuck to your outlined routine? Yes, but were not able to get my braids this month so i will be getting relaxed and then braided next month

- If you've changed any products or part of your process, what is/was it??? no change

- Do you have any questions about your process or your progress??? no questiond

3) What protective styles are you currently wearing? Im, wearing my hair in a bun with an afro puff over it. Since my hair is brushing shoulder, I dont plan on wearing my hair down till it is 3-4inches below it.

4) Product Reviews everyone????? I love LOVE salerm wheat germ mask and nexxus humectres! :)

bluwatersoul

Pretty much stuck to my routine, with a few tweaks here and there.

Started co washing daily/every pther day. I am addicted to it, and my hair seems to love it right now.

Not yet.

an updo - modified bun of my hair. Will be putting braids in soon.

uh.....ok. after co washing hair an applying leave in (either NTM or Humectress) I spray on surge, and apply WGO to my new growth. I then put a quarter sized amount of Aveda Brilliance creme hairdress on my palm, rub it between my hands and smooth pver my hair. I brush my hair back smooth, and then gently twist it to the end.I hold the ends against the back of my head, slightly to the left. I use a decorative metal tooth comb, and catching some of the hair from the back left of my hairline, secure it in the back (over the end of the twist). I do the same on the right - catch some hair from the bottom of my hairline and slide it in over the other comb. This creates a nice full looking bun at the nape of my neck, that is secure and seems like my hair is much longer than it actually is. Sometimes I put two clips on the side.

Since my hair is still damp at this point, I will tie a scarf around it and put a hat over that. By the time I get to work, the leave ins and the Brilliance have really done their thing making my hair all wavy and shiny and neat looking.

I posted some already - I had a really bad experience with Phytorelaxer, which led me to teh daily co-washes. Luckily, I have had minimum breakage, and I am learning to love and tame the steel wool that lurks beneath the relaxed part of my hair. :) I made it to almost 11 weeks last time - the only way I will get close this time is with braids, so they will go in in another week or so.

I too am in love with Salerm - Humectress - and NTM DDC (instead of the mask! its da bomb!)

mvonnesha

2) Post your progress here
Around 1 inch of new growth. The new growth is very managable right now.

Pretty much. I haven't been bagging it everyday, like i should.

I'm trying out different conditioners. I am loving Lustrasilk cholestrol plus with shea butter. Started dusting instead of cutting.

I want to get my hair colored for the summer. I'm doing a lot of research because I am scared to go to a salon. I would love any suggestions about good colorists in NYC, or any coloring tips at all.

I am using phony ponies, and buns. I really don't know what to do with my hair.

There is a forum on the board to specifically review products. Please go there and post your product review. Let's make full use of this site. By posting them there, others can find them as well.

mvonnesha

2) Post your progress here

Around 1 inch of new growth. The new growth is very managable right now.

Pretty much. I haven't been bagging it everyday, like i should.

I'm trying out different conditioners. I am loving Lustrasilk cholestrol plus with shea butter. Started dusting instead of cutting.

I want to get my hair colored for the summer. I'm doing a lot of research because I am scared to go to a salon. I would love any suggestions about good colorists in NYC, or any coloring tips at all.

I am using phony ponies, and buns. I really don't know what to do with my hair.

MSee

1. Questions? None as yet

2. Progress:
*I had to change my routine a bit. I do conditioner washes twice a week and shampoo with diluted CON directly on my scalp when required. That took care of some dryness I was experiencing. I still clarify once a month.

* I have 1 inch of new growth. My last relaxer was Feb. 1st but this is the fastest my hair ever grew even in over 2 months. I have been experimenting with my aunts advice for hair growth. Its using Top Brass on my scalp. I mix it with coconut oil (it doesn't really blend it just suspends in the oil) and 1 drop of T-tree oil and put it on my scalp twice a week. It makes my new growth easier to comb but I don't know if its responsible for the growth or just that I'm taking better care of my hair. I have to remember to stop it 1 week before I relax to prevent burning.

3. Protective styles
*Instant weave with corn rows and buns.

4.Product reviews
* I'm still watching the Top Brass but I figure since it's for dandruff that maybe it stimulates the scalp like Sulpher 8 and those stuff. I don't like the fact it has in mineral oil though.

missenm

[1) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????[/COLOR]
No Questions!

I have stuck to my routine. I removed my sewn in weave last night so I will do things a little differently to my natural hair.

At the moment, I am simply pinning my hair up with serum on my ends. I am trying to manipulate the hair as little as possible because I have 13 weeks of new growth and I want to keep shedding to a minimum.

4) Product Reviews:
I have said it before and I will say it again--- I love Elucence! The moisturizing shampoo and conditioner are wonderful. Using these products after removing the sewn in weave and corn rows made the comb out process so much easier. My hair is super soft at the moment!!! :grin:

LoriLOCX

Hello Everyone…..
I think it may be easier to read the postings if there are only periodic replies. It makes it easier to manage, and we can quicker identify each other’s remarks, so without further hesitate, here are responses so far……….

==================================================
OCTAVIA: :)
Congrats on your growth!
Sticking to routines can be challenging, but also well worth it in the end.
Buns, cornrows, braid outs and twists are your protective choices. Great ideas!!!
You use KeraCare, Jojoba and Shea Oils in your hair, and refuse to do a product review????(smile) Just kidding girl…..We got some newbies here, and some that may have never used any of those. Why don’t you share what you like about one of them?
Post it in the REVIEW forum.

ASHEE: :)
Glad you caught up!
Ok, so you have no questions so far.
We’re glad your routine is working for you, and you like your product choices.
You’ve decide on Alma & Garlic Oils, I hope you’re product review is on one of these.
Buns, phony ponies, instant weaves, and cornrows are your protective styles of choice, good for you.

DANGEROUSLY SHY: :)
No questions….ok, glad to hear so far so good!
Are you too shy to talk about your progress???? That was point number 2.
A sew-in weave as protective styling is a great option to rest your hair. It also is difficult to see your progress until you remove it. Just remember to keep your own hair moisturized underneath to minimize breakage and build up.
If you do your own sew-in, please share how you do it yourself and what you use.
Also, don’t forget to post a product review in the REVIEW FORUM.
CARIBSLC: :)
Another member, no questions. DSD was very thorough wasn’t she???? GREAT JOB!!!
How is your progress? Growth isn’t the first factor usually, it’s texture and strength of your hair.
A co-washer are you??? How do you like it compared to what you use to do???
A low pH relaxer??? Hmmmm, I’ve heard good things about Design Essentials, but honestly, I haven’t tried it. Affirm has a relaxer called FiberGuard, which will keep your hair closer to it’s natural texture. I have tried this. Frankly I see no difference in my nature texture after using it. It tangles less, but it still looks and feels completely natural to me. I don’t use it because I like straighter hair.
OK EVERYONE….WE GOT A REQUEST HERE: :eek: :confused:
Caribslc needs recommendations for a low pH relaxer. Let’s all give her a hand.
Caribslc….you may want to start a post with a poll for this one. That’s my recommendation.
-------------------------------------
Phony ponies are your protective of choice. Seems to be really popular.
I’m sure you too can share a review of one product you use. Please post one in the REVIEW FORUM.

JADED FAERIE: :)
DSD is to be commended!!! No one has questions about the content in the HAIR BIBLE!
You too are to be commended for sticking to your routine. No easy feat.
You mentioned getting braids. What kind? Good protective choice by the way, just keep moisturized.
OK, product review on both…..put them in the REVIEW FORUM please…THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

BLUWATERSOUL: :)
Yes, DSD…you are da bomb girl….and it’s showing. Nobody has questions!!!!
You also stuck pretty much to your routine. Good Job!
Co-washing does seem t add great benefits to the hair.
An updo!!! That’s an elegant choice of protective styling. Thank you for sharing how to do it.
We are sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad experience with the Phyto-Relaxer. Please share with us what happened. I’m sure if you still wish to use it, others that do can share something with you to correct what may have gone wrong. Make sure you add the regular use of a heavy protein (every 6-8 weeks) to your routine to help strengthen your hair. Follow it up with a deep conditioner each time you do one.
And you too…..please post your product review in the REVIEW FORUM. We as members should really post them there so others can benefit if they’re specifically looking just to hear about a product. Thanks!!!!

MVONNESHA: :)
Wow!!! You’ve already added 1 inch of new growth!!!! I’m going back to look at your routine.
With all the conditioners that you’ve tried, I’m sure you could provide a few comments in the REVIEW FORUM on the ones you’ve tried. Please add them. Many that do daily co-washing are probably dying to hear what you think. I know I am.
Hair coloring is very tricky. If your hair is very dark, you want to be EXTREMELY careful about lightening, because no matter what you do, it’s damaging. I’m not saying you can’t do it, just that you must be careful about bleaching and hair care/maintenance after the process has been completed.
I’m from NJ and use to travel to Brooklyn to get my tresses weaved or otherwise. I’ve been away too long to give you a recommendation. I know for braids, I’d go to Billy Jean’s in Harlem. I don’t even know if they’re still there.
OK EVERYONE….WE GOT ANOTHER REQUEST HERE: :eek: :confused:
Mvonnesha is looking for an awesome haircoloring salon in NYC ladies. Let’s all give her a hand.
Ok Mvonnesha, just like Caribslc….you may want to start a post with a poll for this one.
------------------------------------

MILLIE C: :)
No questions???? Kudos again to DSD!
So you’ve modified your routine a bit. Curious as to what you think may have caused some dryness. You mentioned diluting your CON to eleviate some. Do you think undiluted was drying?? Please do a product review on TOP BRASS. Where do you buy it? How much does it cost? How often do you use it and how? With or without heat? Please post the review in the REVIEW FORUM. Thanks !

MISSENM: :)
Everyone needs to give DSD a round of applause!! Nobody has any questions!
Glad you too are able to stay close to your routine. This is what promotes consistent results.
Your protective style of choice was the weave. Did you relax it prior to putting in the weave? How did you maintain your natural hair with the weave? How often did you wash it and what did you use? So many people don’t know how to maintain the weave and keep the hair healthy underneath. You sound like you’ve got it down pat! 13 weeks new growth is great….and delicate, so serum on the ends it great. What are you doing to the new growth?
Since you love Elucence, please post your review in the REVIEW FORUM. Thanks!

Last edited:

beloved1

) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????

No questions right now.

I've stuck to my routine (weekly deep conditioning (light protein followed by moisturizing), weekly washing, heat just once a week, moisturizing 2x a day, etc.) I was using the ORS Olive Oil every day but I was going through it so fast that I tried Pantene Oil Moisturizer which is cheaper. It will do the trick, but the ORS was better, my hair was stronger and shinier with ORS Olive Oil. Also, I've changed from using a curling iron to the Maxiglide, which took some getting used to. You have to use it correctly b/c of the pins, but I got it down now and I really like it. I ran out of Jojoba and Olive oil and my hair isn't as shiny w/o those two oils.

Overall, this is the first time in my life I have had my hair out for this long (7 months) and it is not breaking,but growing instead. Thanks LHCF!

Sometimes, I'll put it back and just put this big black bow over my bun, or put it up in a high ponytail (my girlfriend said I look like Pebbles:) But usually it's down.

4) Product Reviews everyone????? I loved the QP Mango Butter when I tried it. I really love the ORS Olive Oil. I'm enjoying my Maxiglide. I like how healthy my hair is after using the Phytolaxer but I took too long putting it on and my hair isn't really straight. I will probably try it one more time and see if I can get a straighter result b/c I did love the thickness and health, but I want to see the manageability once I apply it correctly.

Atiramisu

SECOND MILESTONE:
:yay: Look at my pictures! Look at my pictures! (I'm very excited!!)

- Have you stuck to your outlined routine? :D YES
I have chosen two treatment days per week, both include a EVOO pretreatment, followed by a deep conditioning, shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.

I'm still using MNT Extra Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, but I've learned that I cannot separate the two if I want incredible slip. So, in order to use up all of the other products I've purchased :eek: I've decided to use them for con washes or deep conditioners.

No -- so far, I believe I'm having good progress! I just had my relaxer today and I'm very pleased with my haircare results. I just want it to be bra strap length by tomorrow! :crystalba

I have tried to leave my curling iron and blow dryer alone and I did invest in Caruso steam rollers which are really nice. I don't have any beautiful protective styles, but I have been wearing my hair in a bun with a scrunchie -- which I don't find particularly flattering, but at least my hair is somewhat protected.

4) Product Reviews

Aussie Moist Conditioner and Aussie Slip -- No big deal and I don't like the scent, but I'll use it to con wash.

NTM Silk Leave-In and Serum --- Both melt right into my hair (just like it says) and leaves my hair soft. I like to use both when wrapping on a shampoo day.

Elasta QP Mango Butter -- I searched hi/low for this after reading the reviews and finally found it -- although I love the scent, it's kind of thick and just sits on my hair, so I've decided to use it on my ends only.

Nexxus Humectress -- I use it to soften my hair after airdrying and I use it as a deep conditioner with a baggie cap under the dryer for 20-30 min. It really provides alot of moisture and my hair felt really conditioned afterwards.

Pantene Smoothing Creme -- I LOVE THIS CREAM!!! I used it to soften my new growth during the 6th/7th week stretch and it actually straightened my new growth out tremendously and tamed it down. I'm trying to increase my stretching to 8 weeks and this is the product I'll use to help ease the comb through.

MNT -- I'm still a MNT fan -- I use the Reg. Conditioner as a leave-in every now and then and still use the Extra Moisturizing combo as my staple.

QUESTION -- I've seen a few LHCF reviews on Hair Steamers and I'm planning to buy the Tabletop steamer (approx. $94 w/s&h). From what I've read, steamers help to deep condition and salons use them. I've personally never seen one or had a treatment done. Has anyone had any experience with hair steaming treatments?

~AT

LoriLOCX

BELOVED1: :)
Join the club with no questions! DSD did her homework well.
On your routine, since you love the ORS Olive Oil so much, have you thought about mixing it with something else to stretch it out? Maybe that with the Pantene?? And, I hear you on the oils....I can't go without EVOO or Johoba :ohwell:
Kudos to you for 7 months out with no breakage! You are to be commended on that one. Good job and keep it up.
The bun seems to be the most popular protective style, so great choice!!
I too like the QP Mango Butter. Maybe you can mix that too with the ORS Olive Oil to create/stretch.
OK EVERYONE….THINK WE NEED A RECOMMENDATION HERE: :eek:

Beloved1 really likes ORS Olive Oil and wants it to last longer. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make it stretch? Maybe she can combine it with something else. Any suggestions ladies???????
----------------------------------------------
Your decision to use a flat-iron instead of a curling iron provides you with more versatility to style. Enjoy it!!!!

ATIRAMISU: :)
WOW!! You go girl!!! I love the excitement and the pics are wonderful!!!
You've stuck with your staple products MNT, good for you. We will make tweaks to regimes along the way, so good job sticking to your routine, cause it ain't always easy to do.
Relaxer day is always a treat!!! AND YOU GOT PHYTO!!! I want one ;) .
You won't be sorry you decided to take a break from heat. Watch how quickly your hair texture improves and strengthens.
Great reviews on products! Thank you.....would you mind copying and pasting them into the PRODUCT REVIEW forum? This way others can benefit from your experience and knowledge.
OK EVERYONE….WE HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION HERE: :eek:

Atiramisu is investing in Caruso steam rollers and giving direct heat a break! She's curious about hair steam treatments? Can anyone elaborate? Do they really add extra conditioning value? Do you get one performed in the salon or do it yourself? How is it done?

Shoot....I wanna know myself :lol:

Last edited:

MSee

<<No questions???? Kudos again to DSD!
So you’ve modified your routine a bit. Curious as to what you think may have caused some dryness. You mentioned diluting your CON to eleviate some. Do you think undiluted was drying?? Please do a product review on TOP BRASS. Where do you buy it? How much does it cost? How often do you use it and how? With or without heat? Please post the review in the REVIEW FORUM. Thanks !>> Copy

I was going to post a review but I did some research first on the active ingredient in Top Brass, ZP 11, zinc pyrithione (I know I should have done that before using). It is the active ingredient in some dandruff shampoos like head and shoulders, but some of the reports hint at possible side effects so I think I'll hold off on the review until I can get something conclusive.

beloved1

Well, I ended up making a home made moisturizer and I think I love it for my 2x day moisturizing. I've decided to use the ORS twice a week- after my weekly shampoo and midweek when I "dampen" my hair again.

I'll post more details at our next milestone with my updated regimen.

Ashee

Beloved!:
Are you heavy handed with products? I've found that when I use them sparingly they last for some time.... :ohwell:

LoriLOCX said:
BELOVED1: :)
Join the club with no questions! DSD did her homework well.
On your routine, since you love the ORS Olive Oil so much, have you thought about mixing it with something else to stretch it out? Maybe that with the Pantene?? And, I hear you on the oils....I can't go without EVOO or Johoba :ohwell:
Kudos to you for 7 months out with no breakage! You are to be commended on that one. Good job and keep it up.
The bun seems to be the most popular protective style, so great choice!!
I too like the QP Mango Butter. Maybe you can mix that too with the ORS Olive Oil to create/stretch.
OK EVERYONE….THINK WE NEED A RECOMMENDATION HERE: :eek:

Beloved1 really likes ORS Olive Oil and wants it to last longer. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make it stretch? Maybe she can combine it with something else. Any suggestions ladies???????
----------------------------------------------
Your decision to use a flat-iron instead of a curling iron provides you with more versatility to style. Enjoy it!!!!

ATIRAMISU: :)
WOW!! You go girl!!! I love the excitement and the pics are wonderful!!!
You've stuck with your staple products MNT, good for you. We will make tweaks to regimes along the way, so good job sticking to your routine, cause it ain't always easy to do.
Relaxer day is always a treat!!! AND YOU GOT PHYTO!!! I want one ;) .
You won't be sorry you decided to take a break from heat. Watch how quickly your hair texture improves and strengthens.
Great reviews on products! Thank you.....would you mind copying and pasting them into the PRODUCT REVIEW forum? This way others can benefit from your experience and knowledge.
OK EVERYONE….WE HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION HERE: :eek:

Atiramisu is investing in Caruso steam rollers and giving direct heat a break! She's curious about hair steam treatments? Can anyone elaborate? Do they really add extra conditioning value? Do you get one performed in the salon or do it yourself? How is it done?

Shoot....I wanna know myself :lol:

beloved1

I am heavy handed, but I feel like my hair really needs it. I think my hair must be porous, it takes liquid/oil in like it is nothing, that's why I moisturize twice a day and generously.

LoriLOCX

Okay everyone....we're moving on to the next milestone. Look for Newcomer's Growing Out Club - THIRD MILESTONE.

Keep on posting here too if you have questions and still want to comment on anything here. I'm sure everyone could still use some suggestions on the questions asked.

Hang in there everyone.....we're nearing the end of our HAIR BIBLE, and will have a few months of checking in and discussion ahead of us.

Without further delay, go to the next post.

andreab

) For those that have NOT had the opportunity to read our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, read sections 1-10. Any questions on what you've read so far????
No. I 'll be referring back to it for more ideas. Makes for good reading.

- Have you stuck to your outlined routine? Yes.
- If you've changed any products or part of your process, what is/was it???No Just added. I swith between Kenra Shampoo and CON.

3) What protective styles are you currently wearing? Braids

4) Product Reviews everyone????? I love ElastaP Mango Butter on my ends. My ends looked so lustrous .

Thanks. Milestone Completed.

Last edited: