4a's what do you use to define curls?

Porsche19

4a can be a hard curl to define because it's prone to frizz and so tiny compared to other curls.

but it can be done :)

Keeping the hair as moisturized and healthy as possible brings out the curls. I deep condition after every shampoo and use a really gentle shampoo (ntm) and... modifed conditioner washes 80% of the time. I only use shampoo stronger than ntm 2x per month when I do protein treatments. I moisturize my hair twice a day faithfully.

Curl activator and other moisturizers with a lot of glycerin really work in keeping hair hrydrated and letting curls come through. I use a curl activator gel+oil+leave in mixture in my hair.

After you comb through her hair and apply the product, spray it with water (I use a mix of distilled water and leave in) and then let it airdry. If I were to go out wafter detangling my hair and not wetting it agian afterwards, I would have almost no curl definition.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm not fully natural yet but just plain water define's my curls for my new growth. I'm sure other ladies will chip in with products.

Offtopic ---> everytime I see that Aaliyah pic in your signature, I keep thinking it's you or I think that you must look like her! :grin:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Poohbear said:
Offtopic ---> everytime I see that Aaliyah pic in your signature, I keep thinking it's you or I think that you must look like her! :grin:

ITA!! The pic doesn't look reall professional or like a celebrity's pic. I always think it is hers too.

kombov_dymond

I've been experimenting on my daughter's 4A/B hair as well. So far, adding serum, Humectress(generic) and S-curl has yielded the best results.

Lola Laughs

<<Insert your favorite moisturizer here>>, water and a Denman brush = great curls. The Denman really makes the curls pop. The downside (for me atleast) is that the strands curl back onto itself causing single strand knots. :nono:

WantNatural

I've just BC'd 3 weeks ago. Try YouTube for some great tutorials for defining curls. I cowash every other day with Trader Joe's and shampoo on Sundays which is also when I DC. I think the key is finding the right product and then the right technique. You can define your curls with conditioner only or you can layer products. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in, sometimes S-Curl, olive oil, and then Ecostyler gel. Ecostyler gel really defines my curls. You can use different methods to define your curls - you can just run product through your hair, you can shingle, use the rake and smooth method, or the shake and go method, or a combination of the above! You just figure out what works for you. For me, I apply my gel in sections, and rake the gel then smooth it through each section. I'm a little heavy handed with it, I hope to improve my technique with practice. After I have applied all of the product I do a cold rinse on my hair, plop it with a t-shirt or a paper towel, shake my hair, and let it air dry. I try not to mess with it too much. I usually do my hair at night so I cover with a bonnet before going to sleep. In the morning my hair is still wet but I spray a little more water, S-curl, and some olive oil on it, run my fingers through it, and leave it alone. If I'm going to work and it's really wet I may use a diffuser. (It's been really cold here and I'm not catching pneumonia trying to look cute!) So far so good, but I'm going to try the conditioner only method next weekend. I learned through a YouTube video that you can create different looks depending on whether you use your fingers or a denman, etc. A denman does seem to give more shrinkage, but super defined curls. Your fingers will define well also, you'll always have shrinkage but it seems a tad more stretched. Just experiment and see what works for you!

gimbap

Lately what's been working very well is Eco styler gel mixed with conditioner. I smooth it through my hair, then puff it out using my hands and/or blow dryer with a concentrator attachment on warm. Works better than KCCC.

isabella09

Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream used in conjunction with Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm provides me with curl definition. Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner used as a leave-in also defines my curls.