Calling All LYE Relaxer Users!!!

Carlie

Which relaxer are you currently using? How long have you been using this relaxer? Have you experienced any thinning w. this relaxer?

Due to all the hype about the negative effects of Affirm Lye, I may be shopping for a new relaxer. :ohwell: I think I'm going to do some research. Thanks for responding. :yep:

J

JenniferMD

I use Exclusives relaxer, I've been using it for over a year (only two applications though). I haven't experienced any negative results.

MonaLisa

I just wanted to wish SuperHairGrowinChick good luck in her new search!:D
and a big ole Hi...

*tipping out of thread*

Honi

There is no board.
Before I switched to Phyto I used Motions mild. I never had any problems with thinning.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hey Carlie,

I got you e-mail. I use Hawaian Silky Regular Conditioning Lye Jar relaxer (pink label). I follow with the Hawaian Silky Neutalizing shampoo.
I L-O-V-E it. :love: :hula:

star

I was using Affirm but been have some funny feeling about it lately. I think I am going to move on especially after reading another thread about this. I do not know how it can thin the ends if the roots are only being done. I guess this would come as it grows out. I have been using it for several years with a little break but I think I am going to try Precise or Profectiv.

Carlie do you know how this can thin ends if the roots are only being permed? is what I stated above. Please advise. Your hair looks fine with no thin ends. :)

Last edited:
L

LaNecia

I've been curious about the Hawaiian Silky line for quite a few years....

I'm on the same quest for finding a new lye relaxer so I'm just gonna sit back and lurk for a while! :sekret:

luv04

Which relaxer are you currently using? due to limited expenses i used optimum regular.
How long have you been using this relaxer? this is my first time i usually use affirm no lye mild.
Have you experienced any thinning w. this relaxer? no my hair actually feels stronger and ive had less breakage than before.
happy growing..carlie and congrats on ur growth..

leontyneb

I used Motions Lye Super with my last touch up and now I used Motions Lye Mild. I have no problems with this relaxer. It keeps my hair soft and silky. No thinning of the hair at all. Just thick and healthy.

chicamorena

I use creme of nature lye. I've been using this relaxer ever since I started relaxing my hair which was about 3 years ago. I've never experienced thinning with this relaxer. I've actually had to switch from the mild to regular because the mild got to be too mild for my hair. I will say that this relaxer isn't for people who like really straight hair because even the regular leaves my hair wavy and I leave it on for 20-30 minutes.

FashionistaNY

star said:
I was using Affirm but been have some funny feeling about it lately. I think I am going to move on especially after reading another thread about this. I do not know how it can thin the ends if the roots are only being done. I guess this would come as it grows out. I have been using it for several years with a little break but I think I am going to try Precise or Profectiv.

Carlie do you know how this can thin ends if the roots are only being permed? is what I stated above. Please advise. Your hair looks fine with no thin ends. :)

Star, I can say, from my experience, my hair was breaking off closer to the scalp vs. towards the ends. I still had lengthy hair, but it was in bits and pieces and looked a hot mess.

I usually wait 8-12 weeks to get touch-ups to prevent overlapping. When applied, it was always to my new growth. I was washed and conditioned properly, yet thinning still occurred. I couldn't figure out why this was happening until a couple of hours ago.

Though the relaxer may have not been applied to the ends, when rinsining, the relaxer has no choice to run over previously relaxed ends. Because this is occurring, though it maybe a minute, it's still processing your hair.

SUPER SWEET

My salon uses Dudley's mild(lye) and I love it. It's better than any other I've had so far. As a matter of fact my hair looks thicker now.

Carlie

star said:

This is what I posted in the other thread:
My hair that's relaxed w. Affirm seems very healthy but I feel my ends could be thicker. I don't know if it's because my ends were relaxed w. no-lye or what but right now, I'm looking for alternatives. I have a little while before my next touchup.
-----------------------------------
I'm not sure how the Affirm thins the ends...I'll have to do some research. My hair was previously relaxed using no-lye relaxers so I don't know if the fact that the lye relaxer is rinsed off over the 'no-lye' hair has anything to do w. it. My 'no-lye' hair doesn't seem as strong as the lye hair so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. :confused:

I've heard the Affirm lye contributes to shedding as well. I don't know if this is true but shedding will thin your hair as well. :ohwell:

Carlie

JenniferMD said:
I use Exclusives relaxer, I've been using it for over a year (only two applications though). I haven't experienced any negative results.
Jennifer, where could I find more information about this relaxer? Do they have a website?

star

Be aware that they said the thinning happens over time. ;)

luv04 said:
Which relaxer are you currently using? due to limited expenses i used optimum regular.
How long have you been using this relaxer? this is my first time i usually use affirm no lye mild.
Have you experienced any thinning w. this relaxer? no my hair actually feels stronger and ive had less breakage than before.
happy growing..carlie and congrats on ur growth..

star

This is professional line that can only be gotten with a license. I have used their condtioners at my last hair dresser. To die for. The best I have ever experience in softness. I was so impressed called the company that made it. Black owed: Action Beauty Supply - Product: ACE EXCLUSIVE Line - phone number 410-792-4706
Carlie said:
Jennifer, where could I find more information about this relaxer? Do they have a website?

Last edited:

miracle

Revlon Realistic Extra Conditioning-Mild. I've been using it for a few months and I :love: the results that I get with it. My hair always comes out super silky. Never over/underprocessed.

brickhouse

I use Affirm Fiberguard with lye. I have been using Affirm products for years and my hair is not thinning. I think the Fiberguard protects your hair. I will be getting a touch up in 2 weeks and I will finally post pics.

luv04

star said:
Be aware that they said the thinning happens over time. ;)

;-) i realize this but its been a minute and im my hair is pretty thick so i dont think i have anything to worry about but thanks... .:) ....happy growing star.

Carlie

Thanks everyone! I know a lot of y'all are saying that my hair doesn't look thin and whatnot but I guess I was just concerned because of all the times my hair wasn't relaxed correctly w. the Affirm Lye Relaxer.

Also, my hair that's been relaxed w. the Affirm Lye looks WAY more healthier and is WAY more stronger than my hair that's been previously relaxed w. no-lye. One of my goals is to cut off ALL of these no-lye ends and I'm sure once I do that, my hair will be happier.

I will stick w. the Affirm lye for now and I will keep this list for future reference, in case I need it. Thanks again ladies! :kiss:

hottopic

creme of nature lye...for the past 2 relaxers...I stopped using no-lye thank goodness, but my ends are suffering from the misinformation.

angelbaby

I use the Affirm Fiberguard Lye Mild. The only problems I've had were when I used the complete system. When I just used the Affirm relaxer with the Optimum pre-conditioner, and Post Relaxer Normalizer. I discovered that this works better for me than the products that were made to go with the Affirm. When I used the products that go along with the Affirm, my hair came out hard. I didn't have that problem with the Optimum products.

The reason that I don't use the Optimum relaxer is because the results don't last. My hair reverted after about a month. I haven't had that problem with the Affirm. I have not experienced the thinning of the ends with the Affirm that others are referring to. I have experienced underprocessing, which just may mean that I need to step up to the normal strength.

I am on the lookout for thinning by hair coming out at the roots. So far I have kept more hair on my head with the Affirm relaxer than any other I've tried. It doesn't cause the dryness that the other relaxers I used have caused.

Softresses

Hi Everybody!:wave:

I use Hawaiian Silky Lye relaxer, regular strength. I also use the neutralizer. I LOVE it. My individual strands feel much thicker and stronger since I switched to lye.

Softresses

fletgee

I have been using Revlon Realistic Regular Lye Relaxer for 30+ years :eek: . My hair always thrives with it and I have no problems with dryness. Just soft silky hair.

I had a Dudley's No Lye for a while. It was horrible. My hair was dry, it shed, and I had breakage. Plus the conditioners and treatments I used did not seem to penetrate my hair. It was like the No Lye locked out everything I tried to treat my hair with. :perplexed