Do's and dont's of natural hair

locabouthair

Can anyone please tell me specific do's and don'ts for natural hair? I am a 4b/4c natural and this will be the first time that I will be wearing my natural hair out. I need advice because I want to do my hair myself. I am used to getting it done by a hairdresser and I want to make sure I don't cause any breakage or damage by doing it myself (like I have done in the past with relaxed hair). Are there any products that have made your hair more managable? Are there any specific treatments i should use because I currently have a sew in weave. The first thing I will try is a braidout or a twistout. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanx!

Shatani

Do wash yur hair in sections
Dont think you can comb natural hair the way you did with relaxed hair

brittanynic16

Do always comb hair when it is wet.
Do use shea butter. It is the only product I put on my hair other than shampoo and conditioner. It is the best stuff ever.

caligirl

You MUST get yourself a K Cutter comb. These combs were made for our hair. With this comb, no knot is impossible. Ok, I sound like a commercial but this is crucial. Check ebonyonline or the beauty supply. And don't accept any fake imitation.

deedabug

detangle....
don't go to bed with ur hair not tied up with a satin or silk rag and put it in some kinda somethin...meanin some wild twists or braids/plaits...if u dont u will have super dryness and tangles in the morning
find the best moisturizers for ur hair and know their ingredients....search for those same ingredients in all of the products u buy
i agree with shatani also that u cant treat ur hair like its relaxed
comb ur hair either wet or saturated with moisturizer

Ayeshia

Don't try to make your hair do somethign that it can't do. For example loading your hair with tons of products trying to acheive curl defintion or trying to fight frizz. You'll just end up with a goopy mess in your hair. :(

jainygirl

Shea Butter -- Unrefined Shea Butter if you can get your hands on it, is absolute heaven!!!

Wet or damp hair for any type of combing/manipulation

CatSuga

Do wash your hair with conditioner.
DON'T use Luster's pink oil moisturizer. It is pure crap.
Do use olive oil as a pre-poo treatment.
Do use StaSofFro.
DON'T let other people do your hair.
Do let barbers give you edge ups.

SVT

do not sleep with loose hair - section hair and cover with a silk scarf

detangle hair while it's wet and conditioned
comb from the bottom up when detangling
remember to do protein treatments - it's very easy to moisturize natural hair and for that reason, it's very easy to overmoisturize it.

Belle Du Jour

Do:
-detangle gently when your hair is loaded up with conditioner
-moisturize daily
-baby your hair
-work it!
-replace all harsh shampoos with a non-SLS shampoo or cheap conditioners

Don't:
-fight your curl pattern or lack of curl pattern (work with it)
-brush your hair

Platinum

:yep:This is a good thread, there are some great tips here :yep:. Does anyone else have tips? Subscribing...

dinaaike

Don't be impatient! This is key. It will take time for you to adjust to your hair if you have never had it natural before, or have never done it yourself before. Allow sufficient time for the learning curve to teach you what you need to do. Nothing worth doing comes without effort. You can take less time, be less careful, but you get what you put into it.

Don't be careless. If you try to treat silk (kinky hair) like cotton, by throwing it in the washing machine everyday (i.e. putting it through the ringer), you'll destroy it.

Pay attention; don't make assumptions. Your hair is curly. Curly is not synonymous with coarse, rough, thick, or wiry. Evaluate your individual strands to find your hair type. If most strands are fine, be light-handed with product. If most strands have a tight (tight, TIGHT! :look:) coil, know that each bend leaves strands more vulnerable to moisture loss and stress with every pass of the comb, so be gentle.

Don't rush. If you have to "hurry up and do your hair", you may as well put a scarf on and not bother. The damage you will do by ripping through snags, and overstretching strands until they snap, and binding the hair too tight before it has shown you how much room it needs "to breathe", will outweigh all of your previous careful effort. Remember, if you put your precious silk blouse in the washer "just this one time", the fabric will still suffer.

Don't listen to people's comment's. There are things in life everyone is entitled to; a belly button, and an opinion. Only one can be changed by seeing your long term results. Do what you know to do and the rest will come through research and trial and error.

Do listen your hair. If you need to clarify, you'll see the signs. If you need a protein treatment, you'll see the signs. When you're in dire need of moisture, you'll know. Know the signs, and give your hair what it needs.

Do enjoy your curls. When they are well taken care of, they beg to be touched. Let them loose and give 'em a squeeze every now and again.

Do stick to a regimen. The only way to know if something really works or not it to stick with it for a while. Yes, today's society is "gimme now", and this is an unrealistic approach to really learning anything about the effects of various products.

Do bind your hair up before bed. If you have have curls, you have probably suspected them of being alive at one time or another. They may be, because they sure love to "get together with friends" and "get all wrapped up" in conversation when left to their own devices too long :yawn: . Braid it, twist it, wrap it, tie it. Do whatever works best for you, but make sure there isn't too much socializing while you sleep, or you'll look a hot mess in the morning.

That's all I can think of right now. HTH!

MonPetite

I think it can't be said enough....

DO embrace shrinkage.

If you don't wear make-up DO invest in a lipstick, get your brows plucked, try new earrings, etc. Many natural styles put attention on the face in a way straight hair does not when it is out. Unless you like your face as is (which is a great thing!) be prepared for your face to just "look different" to you until you get used to seeing yourself with your hair. Your wardrobe may need tweaking also, you never know!

DO Invest in conditioners for a co-wash.

DO inspect anything accessories for jagged edges, sharp teeth, or exposed metal pieces

DON'T be shy about all the glances you'll get. Some may be curiosity others will be ones of awe! :grin:

DO listen to your hair...some natural hair likes protein, others not so much. Same with oils.

DO invest in a denman brush with wide spaced teeth if a comb isn't enough to remove shed hair.

DON'T be afraid to co wash or wash daily, weekly, every other day however much your hair demands.

DON'T expect anyone else texture. I'm sure this goes without saying but I traded one thing (swangin' silky hair) for another (UBER curl definition). Others have said it, but it bears repeating.

DO expect to feel different. It's like changing your hair color drastically times ten....In a good way.:lachen:

DO ENJOY YOUR HAIR! :yep:

SEMO

To maintain hair curliness:

Don't brush or comb dry hair
Disturbing the hair too much while it's drying = FRIZZINESS
A denman brush can be your friend

Other:

Do prepare yourself for shrinkage to be worse than you thought it would be (I thought the problem seeing growth b/c of shrinkage wouldn't get to me, but I was wrong)

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

I think the most important is to not to mistreat ur hair. I'm transitioning but have majority of all my relaxer is gone and replaced with alot of new growth.

Moisturizing is great
and my hair loves cowashing

LadyKaypnyc

DO
play experiment w/ styles. Natural hair is versatile, you'd be surprised at what it can do:grin:
Cowash as often as you like
Get a denman (or goodie knock off)
Moisturize Daily
Deep Conditioner at least once a month
Pamper your hair
Trim your ends at least once a year

DON'T
be afraid of shrinkage, it isn't that bad:yep:
Comb or brush dry hair
Use products with mineral oil/petrolatum/sodium lauryl sulfates
let the individual knots scare you, they come with the territory (Simple dusting will fix it)

Last edited:

Lioness

DO

- detangle hair in 5 or 6 sections, finger-detangling from the ends up to the roots

- try to comb hair mostly when it’s wet

- Use natural oils and butters, namely Shea, Olive, Coconut

- Do moisturize on a regular basis, once or twice a day with a braid spray or mineral water/glycerine

- Protective style- this will preserve the health of the hair

- Find styles which compliment and work with your unique curl pattern

- Use a natural light oil on the ends every night before going to sleep

- Comb ONLY with a wide tooth comb

- Use a Heat protecting serum/lotion when using ANY direct heat

- Deep condition at least once a week- LeKair Cholesterol is great for natural hair (I use this and absolutely adore it)

- Love your natural hair because God gave it to you and it’s beautiful!

- Eat healthy/ drink loads of water+ lemon - the hair’s natural curl pattern is improved by a healthy diet/supplements

DON’T

- Over-use heat (blow-drying/flat ironing etc)

- Rush while detangling- this can cause breakage and weakening of the hair shaft

- Comb dry natural hair if you can avoid it.

- Use products that will dry out your natural hair

- Sleep without some kind of silk/satin protection

- Over use protein. Natural hair generally tends to be strong, so over using protein can take you to snap-city of you’re not careful

- Do hairstyles which require a lot of manipulation and pulling

DivaD04

when no one is looking.......:look: i'm slowly stealing tips :look:...guilty of not following some of these tips when i know better...ie...dc!

to add to the list, misting yor hair. like plants, natural hair LOVES water.

Bigghair

Do try sealing in moisture on wet hair with castor oil.
Do styles that can last several days.
Do massage your scalp.
Do read labels on products.
Do finger comb your hair.
Do protect your edges when wearing a puff.
Do stay natural!
Do document your progress.

Don't think that a puff has to be tight.
Don't be discouraged if your styles are not perfect the first time.
Don't think you can still use all the same products as when you had a relaxer.

Blaque*Angel

You MUST get yourself a K Cutter comb. These combs were made for our hair. With this comb, no knot is impossible. Ok, I sound like a commercial but this is crucial. Check ebonyonline or the beauty supply. And don't accept any fake imitation.

please post a pic of the k cutter, the ones i see look scary. big metal teeth?

BrownSkin2

Do:
Detangle on wet hair with lots of conditioner
Wear alot of protective styles to gain length
Moisture, mositure, moisture. Natural hair tends to be dry.
Deep condition at least once a week.
Use a wide tooth comb. No small teeth.
Have fun with your hair.

Don't:
Let just anyone do your hair.
Be a DIY'er.
Don't listen to what other think of your hair!!

ImFree27

Do: Get a Denman Brush, so wonderful for detangling and also Knky Curly Knot Today helps out a lot.
Do: Use Conditioner that mositurizes
Do: Deep Conditioners, makes your hair more mangebale...
Do: Sleep with a satin scarf
Do: use an oil to seal in moisture

oooop2

DON'T:

For months I would wear a silk scarf as a headband. I would place it along the front, tie it in the back tight, then push it back along my hairline to the desired position. Little did I know that all that friction was breaking off my front hairline..Now I'm diligently trying to grow it back..Talk about a lesson learned...