Relaxed Ladies: What are your steps after washing out the relaxer?

outspokenwallflower

I've been self relaxing for almost a year now BUT I'm still not great at it and am still learning. I always feel like I can do better, and since Im supposed to be relaxing TONIGHT, I was hoping to get some tips!

After washing out the relaxer what are your next steps? When/if you deep condition during the washing process, do you use a moisture or protein conditioner?

Lastly, when styling your hair, do you rollerset it or blow it out/flat iron it straight? I was thinking that blowing it out may be too much tension on my freshly relaxed hair BUT I'm a HORRIBLE rollersetter and was going to use curlformers on my hair...but perhaps the grip on them would be too much tension as well? Which do you think would be less tension/better?

Sorry for the newbie questions...I know I should know better, but I've been out of it for awhile!

AlliCat

After I apply the relaxer, I rinse thoroughly with water. Then I apply a protein treatment to my hair for 5 minutes (mid-relaxer protein step). Then neutralize with shampoo several times. After shampooing, I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner.

As for styling after I usually blow dry and flat iron afterwards...and take a billion pics :grin:

ETA: Great info on the Mid-Relaxer protein step http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5663534/benefits_of_the_midrelaxer_protein.html?cat=69

WorkInProgress88

After I apply the relaxer, I rinse thoroughly with water. Then I apply a protein treatment to my hair for 5 minutes (mid-relaxer protein step). Then neutralize with shampoo several times. After shampooing, I deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner.

As for styling after I usually blow dry and flat iron afterwards...and take a billion pics :grin:

ETA: Great info on the Mid-Relaxer protein step http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5663534/benefits_of_the_midrelaxer_protein.html?cat=69

yup, rinse it out real good and do a protein treatment before a neutralize. I also do an ACV rinse too like Taz007 -->

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=470056&highlight=how+i+relax

DarkandLovely

My post-relaxer steps are kinda much but here goes...
wash out relaxer, protein condish for 3-5 mins, moisturizing condish for 3-5 mins, neutralizing poo x2 leave last on for 3-5 mins, protein condish again, DC, ACV rinse, I typically air dry b/c after all of that I'm too lazy to roller set then flat iron...oh yeah and like Allicat said take pics :yep:

I know it seems like a lot but before I started self relaxing I read through a ton of threads and searching and internet in general but from what I took from it all is that post-relaxer your cuticles of the hair shaft are open so the protein and moisturizing conditioners are better able to enter the core and subsequently the ACV I guess kinda closes the cuticles.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Cosigning. After thorough rinse of relaxer, I do aphoghee 2 min with a plastic cap and leave on 5 min. Then I neutralize with neutralizing shampoo 3 times and the last time I let the neutralizing poo sit for 10 minutes before final rinse. Then I do roux porosity control conditioner to bring down the pH of my hair some more and finally I do a moisture dc with silk element olive oil. After rinsing I apply GVP redken antisnap leave in (sally's knockoff)

I airdry my hair in a loose bun till about 70% dry. Then I wrap my hair and tye with a scarf and in the morning I have soft shiny straight bouncy hair with no heat.

Toy

After Rinsing the Relaxer out i do a protein Treatment,Then Deep condition and then I use Roux porosity contol and moisturize and let my air Airdry.

camilla

this^^^^^^^^^ PLEASE READ EVERY ARTICLE SHE POSTED^^^^^

I do a rinse dark brown or clear for shine after
but i use porosity control with my moisturizing conditioner then leave in conditioner and chi silk infusion to seal >>>shine shine shine:grin:

try a wet wrap if you do not want to use direct heat or if you are not the best with roller setting (BUT BE GENTLE) with one curler i use foam wrap
sit under dryer for like 30 to 45 min tie up damp the off to bed

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Rinse out Relaxer
Apply Protein Conditioner (Mid Step)
Neutralize then use Elucence Acidifying Shampoo
Co-Wash with Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
Apply a ph Balanced Cream w/Plastic Cap while I put things away (clean up)
Rinse
Apply DC'er and Steam (usually use Alter Ego Garlic or Lamaur Bone Marrow) Follow up with Moisturizing Conditioner (Steam)
Use French Stablizer Plus as a Final Rinse ph 2.5
Apply Leave in w/ Pure Argan Oil
Dry Under Dryer
Moisturize & Seal

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i shampoo a few times w/neutralizing shampoo then i apply henna for @ least 2 hours rinse then follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner w/heat for @ least 30 minutes... then style... usually flat iron to check length...

bebezazueta

i shampoo a few times w/neutralizing shampoo then i apply henna for @ least 2 hours rinse then follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner w/heat for @ least 30 minutes... then style... usually flat iron to check length...

Thanks for the henna tip. I henna monthly and never thought to do it right after a relaxer

Rossy2010

I've been self relaxing for almost a year now BUT I'm still not great at it and am still learning. I always feel like I can do better, and since Im supposed to be relaxing TONIGHT, I was hoping to get some tips!

After washing out the relaxer what are your next steps? When/if you deep condition during the washing process, do you use a moisture or protein conditioner?

Lastly, when styling your hair, do you rollerset it or blow it out/flat iron it straight? I was thinking that blowing it out may be too much tension on my freshly relaxed hair BUT I'm a HORRIBLE rollersetter and was going to use curlformers on my hair...but perhaps the grip on them would be too much tension as well? Which do you think would be less tension/better?

Sorry for the newbie questions...I know I should know better, but I've been out of it for awhile!
outspokenwallflower Thank you for asking. This thread has helped me so much :yep::yep:. it was right on time as i plan to relax soon

Dommo

After Rinsing out the relaxer, I do one lather with the neutralizing shampoo and then apply Joico Cuticle Sealer which is an intense Ph Balancer and restores the hair(leave it in for 5 min). Than I do one more wash with the neutralizer. After, I apply the Mizani Strengthening Gelee(sit under dryer for 10 min) and use whatever moisturizing conditioner I feel like using at the time.

morehairplease

After Rinsing out the relaxer, I do one lather with the neutralizing shampoo and then apply Joico Cuticle Sealer which is an intense Ph Balancer and restores the hair(leave it in for 5 min). Than I do one more wash with the neutralizer. After, I apply the Mizani Strengthening Gelee(sit under dryer for 10 min) and use whatever moisturizing conditioner I feel like using at the time.
Hi there,

Do you mind me asking if this contains glycerin or silicones?

Thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

ETA: I found the ingredients online here:http://www.hairflix.com/shop/mizani...se&cvsfa=3039&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4d52535247382e35

Last edited:

theLovelyStyle

I use the ORS Replenishing Pak DC that comes in my ORS Relaxer Kit. I DC under a hooded dryer for about 30-45mins, rinse, Cowash, PC Control, and leave-ins. On relaxer days I usually rollerset (loosely) and then flat iron the roots to get a better estimate of my hair length.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Last time I relaxed, I did a mid-step protein treatment using ultrasheen duotex for 5 minutes. I only need 1 or 2 lathers of neutralizing shampoo after this. The I DC with a moisturizing conditioner for about 25 minutes.

I usually do a rollerset after that for fuller bouncy curls.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
use color coded neutralizer til white
apply mizani perphecting creme mixed with jerri redding veggie protein to scalp area (this has apple cider vinegar as one of the ingredients): let sit for 5 minutes
use quantum clariying shampoo 1x
shampoo with Mizani phormula 7 shampoo let sit few minutes
apply avg and vit e oil to scalp and apply whatever conditioner I choose to rest of hair let sit overnight
rinse in morning
air dry
style

Last edited:

Carisa

Dang I feel like a bum compared to you all :lol: Ive been just relaxing, washing it out with neutralizing shampoo about 3-4x, then deep conditioning. Usually I do a protein treament like 2-3 days after the relaxer (sometimes) and follow that up with a dc. I need to do better!

sunnieb

outspokenwallflower - how did you relaxer turn out?

I've only self-relaxed once, but here's what I did:

Thoroughly rinsed out relaxer

Applied motions cpr and let sit for 5 minutes

Rinsed cpr and lathered up with motions neutralizing shampoo.

Put on plastic cap and let sit for 10 minutes.

Rinsed and did this two more times for a total of 30 minutes.

Washed with suave clarifying shampoo.

Washed with nexxus therappe.

Applied nexxus hummectress, put on plastic cap and sat under hooded dryer for 30 minutes.

Rinsed, applied leave-ins, and did a ponytail rollerset.

Sat under hooded dryer for an hour, then removed rollers.

My hair came out way better than going to a salon! :)

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Mische

I do the half and half method, so I (well, my mother but I'm so bossy during the process that it might as well be me :lol:) do this twice.

1. Rinse out relaxer smoothing water over hair in a downwards motion to prevent tangling.
2. Apply Mizani Balance Hair Bath neutralizing shampoo to hair in the same downwards motion. This helps IMMENSELY in preventing tangling. My stylist used to scrunch my hair up to my head while neutralizing which resulted in the awful matted pieces of hair. The downwards smoothing helps to keep the hair straight and separated. I also really like this neutralizer because it has a color indicator to alert you to any relaxer residue.
3. Continue with 3 more shampoos. On the last one, I let it sit for about 5 minutes.
4. After rinsing out the last shampoo I apply the Mizani Perphecting creme normalizing conditioner. I realize this is designed as a mid protein step, but I just don't feel comfortable doing so. My hair is feels strong and thick after my relaxers now, so I don't see any reason to mess with a good thing. I let this sit for 5 minutes and rinse.
5. Apply my moisturizing deep conditioner to the freshly relaxed side and continue on to the other side. I typically relax my "weak" side first, so that it gets additional moisturizing time.
6. After doing steps 1-5 on the other side, I apply deep conditioner and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. Rinse again, apply leave in and seal, then blow dry with comb attachment. :lick: I love that thing...
7. Whip hair back and forth

Looking at all of that, it sounds like a lot but each time it seems to go quicker. It also helps that I only do this every 12 weeks or so.

@sunnieb thanks for bumping this!

Last edited:

TLC1020

Motions Mild Relaxer

After rinsing relaxer
apply conditioner
neautralize
shampoo
rinse hair black
final deep condition

taz007

After rinsing out the relaxer I:

Apply my ceramide laden protein reconstructor (5 minutes)
Rinse
Neutralize
Rinse
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Rinse
Neutralize
Rinse
ACV
Rinse
Neutralize and leave in for at least 30 minutes
Rinse
Apply UltraSheen Duo Tex to my hair and garlic oil and Aloe Vera gel to my scalp overnight
Rinse in the morning
Apply Joico Intense Hydrator
Rinse
Style

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Rinse w/ warm very well
Protein treatment - 2-3 min
Rinse
ACV rinse
Neutralizing poo X's 3 (at least)
Rinse
DC mix - aloe in the roots, moisture laden DC and Wheat germ and avocado oil
Steam - up to 15 mins
Rinse
ACV
Air dry

sunnieb

@Nix08 - I can always count on you to contribute when I go on my bumping frenzies! Lemme see what else I can find.....:sekret: