Homemade Flaxseed Gel Results

renren

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to post my results from using flaxseed gel for my wash n go. This is the first time I've used it and I must say I really like the results.... its does have some hold to it but a really soft hold:lick:. I think I will make the gel a little thicker next time... I didnt really get the definition that I like with my wash n gos. I had to pin it back because my roots got poofy... I believe a diffuser may help with that but I dont have one :sad:. Makin the gel thicker may help as well.

Sorry for the bad quality pics.... I took them at the office on a phone:spinning:!!
Do any of you guys use flaxseed gel? How has it been for your hair? Ill post some more pics when I get home tonight... thats the real test because I live in Trinidad and its really humid here.

Thanks for watching!!

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Heyyyyyyyyy...where are the pics!?

I'd love to make some flaxseed gel. I think 'Spiral' on Fotki has a recipe....

Bnster

Interesting never heard of flaxseed gel. Love your hair! Please provide your recipe and how you stumble upon this kind of gel.

renren

I saw one of my YT favs. make it. Her name is naptural. Just search homemade flaxseed gel on YT. I wound post the links but YT is blocked from my office..sorry. There is also a good vid. from 1ballerina

I used 1/4 cup flaxseed 1 1/2 cups water. Boiled for like 5 mins... stirring continuously because the seeds like to stick to the pot... you will see the mixture thickening....but dont leave it too long on the stove because it gets thicker as at cools. Place a stocking over the container you are putting the gel in and pour the liquid into the container. The stocking acts like a strainer. Take some plastic thongs and run it down the length of the stocking to squeeze out all the good stuff from the seeds. You can also reboil the seeds in a little water..about 1/4 cup to make sure all the goop is out...lol

I've seen ppl. adding essential oil and stuff to theirs.. i jus leave mine plain.

renren

@Bride thus far differences ive noted are 1. All natural.... 2.Does not make my hair hard, my hair feels alota softer than with normal gel... i wudnt say the gel is moisturizing but its not drying

Thats about it so far... I decided to try this because KCC is too expensive for my budget and we dont have ECO styler gel in T&T

bride91501

I really llike the sound of this stuff! I've always liked soft, touchable hair, but I've been style experimenting over the last few days and I've had to use more gel than I think I've used in my entire life lol. Good for hold but my hair isn't as touchable as I'd like. Flaxseed sounds like the best of both worlds.

I'm gonna mix up a batch this weekend! Has anyone used it for 2 strand twists or braids? Or rollersets even?

Fine 4s

http://public.fotki.com/Spiral/hair-stuff/henna/flaxseed-cream-how-/flaxgel1.html

So I decided to make my own styling cream. I used flax seed gel to provide hold and moisture. I don't use preservatives, so I only make just enough to use on my hair after I wash it. Here, I have added 2 teaspoons of flax seeds to a cup of water. I simmered them for about 10 minutes until the liquid started to thicken.

I bought my Flaxseeds from a farmer's market. But they can also be found at herb stores and healthfood markets. Also, you can also check the nuts section of a local grocery store.
***Make sure to buy whole flaxseeds, not ground ones***

So
2 teaspoons whole flax seeds
1 cup water
boil for 10 minutes or until it becomes snot-like (gooey but not thick)

I used a tea sieve to strain the runny liquid into a little glass. It's important to strain the liquid while hot. As it cools it gets thicker and more difficult to strain. Btw, that tea strainer is excellent if you like to use fresh tea leaves. It fits right into a mug.

I let the flax gel cool for a minute, then I added 3 teaspoons to my container. The container is quite small - only holds about 4 ounces.

Then I added:
shealoe (4 teaspoons) (can use pre-whipped shea butter instead)
any liquid oil( 1 teaspoon)
- I use kalahari or almond oil
melted shea butter (2 teaspoons)
- this can be skipped for a lighter cream.
4 or 5 drops of your favorite essential oil
and whipped the mixture into a pudding consistency. I think next time I'll use shea oil instead of shea butter.

I twisted my hair with the mixture, but left the top of one side loose after applying the flax cream. In this pic, the ends are dry - they dry fast - and the roots are 95% dry. The top of my hair never looks like that when it's almost dry. Although it's the loosest curl, it's the frizziest. The flax cream smoothed it.

These ends are dry! I can't believe it, the ends of the hair on the top of my head are usually way frizzer than this! Flax cream is my new styling aid. I rarely wear my hair out anymore, but when I do I'll use this stuff. I just wish the scent would last longer. I couldn't smell the ylang ylang after a few hours.

My twists weren't anything special. But that's my lazy *ss twisting. I keep making my twists bigger and bigger, trying to cut down on the time. When I first did the twists, they felt a little stiff. But as they dried they became softer. I think that's the shealoe. It looks dull when my hair is damp, as it is here, but then it dries shiny.

freecurl

I have been wanting to try this since seeing 1ballerina's and naptural85's channel. Thanks for reminding me. And BTW, your hair is absolutely beautiful. I dream for your fullness.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I just drooled all over my keyboard. Girl your hair is GORRRRRRRRGEOUS!!! I was NOT expecting all that luscious goodness! You need to warn people. :lol:

But yeah I've been curious about the gel... the consistency grosses me out a little (bad okra memories as a kid :lachen: ) but if it works, I'm game.

renren

Thanks ladies!!!

hmm I wonder why so many ppl. dont like okra... I boil them an eat them whole..:lick:

My hair feels a bit poofy now...but I might have contributed to dat as I cant seem to stop scrunchin my hair...I cant believe its so soft still!:blush:

WAVES4DAYS

Thanks ladies!!!

hmm I wonder why so many ppl. dont like okra... I boil them an eat them whole..:lick:

My hair feels a bit poofy now...but I might have contributed to dat as I cant seem to stop scrunchin my hair...I cant believe its so soft still!:blush:

I love okra! Have you tried pickled okra? They are delish! :lick:

Nasdaq_Diva

I've been making mental notes for months now to buy flaxseeds. Everytime I go to the healthfood store I don't buy them. I'm going to suck it up and buy some the next time I go to the store. Can't wait to get a good recipe going.

HHJ OP!

Bnster

Fine 4s you updated in your fotki the following

*****UPDATE*****

After keeping the twists done with this mixture in for a week, I found that they were a bit fuzzier than last week. This could be due to the ommission of the shea butter. To test this hypothesis, I will add the shea butter back in, but use only 1/2 tsp.

What did work best for you, re adding the shea butter?

I have some old flaxseed, I am going to try this. This may not be good for my relax hair but it may for my cousin's. Would this be good for slicking back your edges, what do you think you all?

Last edited:

SheenaVee

I've seen YT vids of people making it and have wanted to try it! Will do. The texture of the gel is similar to KCCC IMO.

Your hair looks lovely btw!

Lady_q_tee

Ive been meaning to try this gel for ages, there a lot of great videos on youtube showing exactly how to make it.

Your hair looks beautiful!

renren

@Fine 4s you updated in your fotki the following

*****UPDATE*****

After keeping the twists done with this mixture in for a week, I found that they were a bit fuzzier than last week. This could be due to the ommission of the shea butter. To test this hypothesis, I will add the shea butter back in, but use only 1/2 tsp.

What did work best for you, re adding the shea butter?

I have some old flaxseed, I am going to try this. This may not be good for my relax hair but it may for my cousin's. Would this be good for slicking back your edges, what do you think you all?

Yes good idea, its really good for slicking back edges... I love this stuff