Airdryers Support Thread -- All About Airdrying!

tryn2growmyhair

For those of you who have successfully airdried -- i.e. your hair has grown and it airdries moisturized and not airdried hard and crunchy, could you please share your tips with us?

I have found so fair that only airdry rollersets will really leave my hair soft and silky. Cornrows might come a close second but I dont know how to do them. Any advice that you could share with us would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for starting this thread! :clap: I would like to know other ways to airdry hair without having to do a rollerset just to get soft, bouncy hair. :yep:

I also wanted to add for those who have had success with airdrying in a bun or ponytail...
How do you get your hair that's NOT in a bun or ponytail (sides, edges, nape, etc) to come out nice, smooth, soft, straight (whatever you wanna call it) and not have that dry, hard, stiff, crunchy feeling??????????????? :confused:

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
thanks for starting this thread! i would like to know other ways to airdry hair without having to do a rollerset just to get soft, bouncy hair. :yep:

i also wanted to add for those who have had success with airdrying in a bun or ponytail...
how do you get your hair that's NOT in a bun or ponytail (sides, edges, nape, etc) to come out nice, smooth, soft, straight (whatever you wanna call it) and not have that hard, stiff, crunchy feeling???????????????
Thanks, Poohbear, this is my question as well!

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
Well, I'm natural and I airdry my hair ALL the time. I condition my hair and then put WGO on top of the conditioner. I don't use WGO on dry hair...it's too concentrated and leaves a build up on my scalp. I either get under the dryer and deep condition or just put a plastic bag on my head for a couple of minutes depending on what I'm doing. Then I use surge and EQP mango butter on my hair. It stays very soft and moisturized and gives the shine you see in my pics...

Poohbear

man, ive been going back and forth with whether to try that ElastaQP Mango Butter. I just might have to invest in it because I remember Irresistible gets nice, smooth, shiny hair with it too.

karezone

Do you think that if I start air drying my hair and then use my ceramic curling iron to create the style, that I will retain more length or am I setting myself up for a frizzy mess.

pink_flower

I've been on a rollerset kick for the past few months but I use to airdry exclusively.

This is usually what I did..

-Apply creamy moisturizer to wet hair
-Wait till its 50% dry then smooth back into a loose ponytail
-Apply a holding gel to my edges
-Tie scraf down (sometimes I release the ponytail so its dries hangin down)
-After its dried I bump the tail with my steam rollers.

Peachtree

What a wonderful thread!

I've airdried through it all (( relaxed, transition, & now natural ))... for over 2 yrs. :bouncy:

Now that I'm natural, I use a very simple method for soft, shiny, moisturized hair...

After my final rinse:

1) add leave in conditioner throughout (about 4-5 quarter sized amts of cheapie conditioner... right now, I
Suave balsam & protein or I'll use Awapuhi (sp?)
2) add homemade butter mix, section by section (shea/mango/coconut oil)
3) comb & smooth hair back into a ponytail (braid or twist the tail) or make a bun
4) Leave to airdry! I may cover/tie it down with a satin wrap if I want nice, smooth, shiny, uniformed waves.

---- about 2 or so hrs later, my hair is dry!

Dolapo

eeekkk!!!! my hair would tangle and break and snap. thats liek a nightmare. some people do it though.............

DatJerseyDyme

I do something creamy (usually headress or mango butter) and then an oil or a serum. Then I put my hair in a pony and put the pony part into a two strand twist and pin to the top of my head. Then I put a scarf on to smooth it all out.

karezone

HWAY said:
Has anyone been sucessful wrapping her hair while wet and airdying?

I can wet wrap my hair without breakage, but I am afraid that air drying it would not look that good. I have partially air dried. I used to use the bonnet dryer until the hair was almost completely dry, apply some more moisturizer to the outside of the wrap, put on my scarf and go to bed. In the morning it would be dry and ready to flat iron or curl.

LoriLOCX

This may seem like alot, but I always airdry my hair....for years. My texture is a mixed mess of 2,3 and some 4a, and my hair is relaxed.

After I co-wash (gave up shampoo), I always deep condition anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hour. After rinsing, I apply NTM serum, then NTM Daily Conditioner as my leave-in because I need something heavy to retain the moisture and keep it soft. Then I apply a quarter-size amount of Nexxus Botanic Oil all over, followed by either Carol's Daughters hair butter, hair balm, or D&L Honey Wave Glaze. Then put QP Mango Butter on my ends.

I do this every night, then wrap it smoothed back in a satin scarf. In the morning, my hair is so soft and moisturized. I really don't have to put anything on it. I almost hate to do it again the next night because it comes out so nice.

Basically, I shampoo, condition, serum and leavein, heavy oil, and seal it with hair butter or balm, and tlc on the ends with QP.

LoriLOCX

karezone said:
I can wet wrap my hair without breakage, but I am afraid that air drying it would not look that good. I have partially air dried. I used to use the bonnet dryer until the hair was almost completely dry, apply some more moisturizer to the outside of the wrap, put on my scarf and go to bed. In the morning it would be dry and ready to flat iron or curl.

Is that an FHI iron?

Isis

Poohbear said:
Thanks for starting this thread! :clap: I would like to know other ways to airdry hair without having to do a rollerset just to get soft, bouncy hair. :yep:

I also wanted to add for those who have had success with airdrying in a bun or ponytail...
How do you get your hair that's NOT in a bun or ponytail (sides, edges, nape, etc) to come out nice, smooth, soft, straight (whatever you wanna call it) and not have that dry, hard, stiff, crunchy feeling??????????????? :confused:
It must be the leave-in because the part of the hair that is not in my rollerset is very soft and smooth and moisturized too. I use Nexxus Headress or Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic. :yep: Since I've been here at LHCF, I've airdried (in a rollerset) and never had dry, stiff, crunchy, hard hair, including outside of the rollers.

tryn2growmyhair

LoriLOCX said:
This may seem like alot, but I always airdry my hair....for years. My texture is a mixed mess of 2,3 and some 4a, and my hair is relaxed.

After I co-wash (gave up shampoo), I always deep condition anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hour. After rinsing, I apply NTM serum, then NTM Daily Conditioner as my leave-in because I need something heavy to retain the moisture and keep it soft. Then I apply a quarter-size amount of Nexxus Botanic Oil all over, followed by either Carol's Daughters hair butter, hair balm, or D&L Honey Wave Glaze. Then put QP Mango Butter on my ends.

I do this every night, then wrap it smoothed back in a satin scarf. In the morning, my hair is so soft and moisturized. I really don't have to put anything on it. I almost hate to do it again the next night because it comes out so nice.

Basically, I shampoo, condition, serum and leavein, heavy oil, and seal it with hair butter or balm, and tlc on the ends with QP.

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like you wrap your hair when its wet with lots of products and allow your hair to airdry in a scarf. Am I understanding you correctly? If so, maybe I will try this. If you could add any more details, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

tryn2growmyhair

DatJerseyDyme said:
I do something creamy (usually headress or mango butter) and then an oil or a serum. Then I put my hair in a pony and put the pony part into a two strand twist and pin to the top of my head. Then I put a scarf on to smooth it all out.
And the hair that is not in the pony (nape, edges, etc.) does not come out crispy and hard? Could you let us know what products you use when you airdry? Thanks.

kizzylonghair

GREAT THREAD!!!! I aways wondered.

I posted a thread about getting hair straight without bad methods and the advice I had mostly recieved was to

Rollerset! using a good Leave in, wrap lotion and moisturizer

I had the problem airdry because i got dry crispy ends that resulted in more manipulation, which meant losing more hair, the point of my journey is to keep hair on my head so they is no point using a method that will jeoparise that !

What I do is a rollerset then sit under the hood dryer just for 20 min, thats just to seal in the moisture and seals my ends. Then I airdry the rest of the way

I dont think I will totally airdry again !!! Sorry.

Unless someone posts a fool proof method !!!!!

hOnii

HWAY said:
Has anyone been sucessful wrapping her hair while wet and airdying?

yup. this is what i have been doing these past few washes. i just put in some setting lotion and comb through and wrap it up. i let it dry, then put a scarf over my head and in the morning its good!

DatJerseyDyme

tryn2growmyhair said:
And the hair that is not in the pony (nape, edges, etc.) does not come out crispy and hard? Could you let us know what products you use when you airdry? Thanks.

Nope, no hard nape hairs. I've been doing this for awhile now and actually, my nape haris are the softest they've EVER been.

I use headress on soaking wet hair and then usually use cocounut oil.

I'll use mango butter in place of the headress sometimes, or any # of serums in place of the oil (smooth 'n shine, ntm, biosilk, etc)

HWAY

Thanks karezone and hOnii,
I think I'm going to have my daughter wrap my hair this week. I'm on vacation so I can experiment.

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like you wrap your hair when its wet with lots of products and allow your hair to airdry in a scarf. Am I understanding you correctly? If so, maybe I will try this. If you could add any more details, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

You are exactly right!! I apply everything after rinsing my conditioner out.

My exact routine....

I pre-treat my hair EVERY NIGHT with an oil blend 15 mins to 1 hour under a plastic cap, then a cholesterol foil cap. This helps intensify the heat without using a hood dryer.

I rinse out the oil blend without massaging my hair. When it feels soft to the touch, I massage gently to feel/remove the oil residue. Then I apply v05 and co-wash my hair. Since I deep condition daily, I don't worry about a 2nd co-wash (unless I'm lazy and don't want to deep condition). I leave that in my hair until I'm almost ready to go to bed.

When ready, I add a little warm water and massage, then comb while rinsing. Once rinsing is complete, I towel dry and immediately spray a creme rinse and wrap in a towel for a few moments.

I use my detangling comb to gently comb hair straight. The creme rinse prevents any of my tangling....I use Clairol "Hair So New"...have since I was a kid and will never stop (unless they stop making it... :lachen: ).

I'm experimenting with leave-ins, so if I use a liquid one - Carol's Daughter's Tui Leave-In, I apply that next, then NTM serum. If it's creamy, like NTM Daily Conditioner (my preferred leave-in), then a serum first and apply cream leave-in.

My roots get a daily shot of BBD Stretch Growth Creme, and boy does it moisturize and make it soft. Next will be Nexxus Botanic oil, concentrating on the ends, but I apply all through my hair, and top the ends with QP Mango Butter.

I wrap it up immediately after using a baby brush to smooth the top layer of my hair.

In the morning, my hair is butter soft, shiny, and very moisturized. I think by wrapping it wet after applying everything and wrapping it up, it's really absorbing into my hair. It's working wonders for me, and I plan to stick with this.

I co-wash my hair only. I want to see if there is a difference NOT using shampoo. I know I'll need to clarify, and VO5 has a clarifying conditioner. Since I use a lot of oils, I con-poo 2x.

Poohbear

Isis said:
It must be the leave-in because the part of the hair that is not in my rollerset is very soft and smooth and moisturized too. I use Nexxus Headress or Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic. :yep: Since I've been here at LHCF, I've airdried (in a rollerset) and never had dry, stiff, crunchy, hard hair, including outside of the rollers.

I think you misread what I said. The only way I can get soft, bouncy hair is if I airdry in a rollerset...even the hair that's outside the rollers. ;)
When I airdry in any other style (ponytail, bun, braids, etc) I get dry hard crunchy hair.

Poohbear

Thanks for your responses ladies. It seems like I need to apply more products to my hair when I airdry it. :yep: I just washed my hair today and was too lazy to do a rollerset so I dont think I'll be doing rollersets, I just put my hair in a bun to the side and added hair to it to make it bigger, it's kinda cute...oh well, I'll get through this. ;)

tryn2growmyhair

kizzylonghair said:
GREAT THREAD!!!! I aways wondered.

I posted a thread about getting hair straight without bad methods and the advice I had mostly recieved was to

Rollerset! using a good Leave in, wrap lotion and moisturizer

I had the problem airdry because i got dry crispy ends that resulted in more manipulation, which meant losing more hair, the point of my journey is to keep hair on my head so they is no point using a method that will jeoparise that !

What I do is a rollerset then sit under the hood dryer just for 20 min, thats just to seal in the moisture and seals my ends. Then I airdry the rest of the way

I dont think I will totally airdry again !!! Sorry.

Unless someone posts a fool proof method !!!!!
I feel for you Kizzy, because you might have an extra problem -- hard water issues! When I was in England, the water was so hard and it was all I could do just to hold on to the length that I had. I think the hard water caused my hair to break a little bit. I was there for a few days recently and washed my hair there and, yep, my hair began to shed more than usual. I wonder if this might be part of the reason that you have problems with airdrying?

tryn2growmyhair

LoriLOCX said:
You are exactly right!! I apply everything after rinsing my conditioner out.

My exact routine....

I pre-treat my hair EVERY NIGHT with an oil blend 15 mins to 1 hour under a plastic cap, then a cholesterol foil cap. This helps intensify the heat without using a hood dryer.

I rinse out the oil blend without massaging my hair. When it feels soft to the touch, I massage gently to feel/remove the oil residue. Then I apply v05 and co-wash my hair. Since I deep condition daily, I don't worry about a 2nd co-wash (unless I'm lazy and don't want to deep condition). I leave that in my hair until I'm almost ready to go to bed.

When ready, I add a little warm water and massage, then comb while rinsing. Once rinsing is complete, I towel dry and immediately spray a creme rinse and wrap in a towel for a few moments.

I use my detangling comb to gently comb hair straight. The creme rinse prevents any of my tangling....I use Clairol "Hair So New"...have since I was a kid and will never stop (unless they stop making it... :lachen: ).

I'm experimenting with leave-ins, so if I use a liquid one - Carol's Daughter's Tui Leave-In, I apply that next, then NTM serum. If it's creamy, like NTM Daily Conditioner (my preferred leave-in), then a serum first and apply cream leave-in.

My roots get a daily shot of BBD Stretch Growth Creme, and boy does it moisturize and make it soft. Next will be Nexxus Botanic oil, concentrating on the ends, but I apply all through my hair, and top the ends with QP Mango Butter.

I wrap it up immediately after using a baby brush to smooth the top layer of my hair.

In the morning, my hair is butter soft, shiny, and very moisturized. I think by wrapping it wet after applying everything and wrapping it up, it's really absorbing into my hair. It's working wonders for me, and I plan to stick with this.

I co-wash my hair only. I want to see if there is a difference NOT using shampoo. I know I'll need to clarify, and VO5 has a clarifying conditioner. Since I use a lot of oils, I con-poo 2x.
Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. I greatly appreciate it and will try it. It sounds like you cover all of this with a scarf when you go to bed. You are one of quite a few people who have had success with airdrying who use scarves. I will have to add this to my airdrying routine.

Isis

Poohbear said:
I think you misread what I said. The only way I can get soft, bouncy hair is if I airdry in a rollerset...even the hair that's outside the rollers. ;)
When I airdry in any other style (ponytail, bun, braids, etc) I get dry hard crunchy hair.

I understood exactly what you said. What I posted is that it must be the leave-in. Not meaning it has to be airdried in a rollerset. The hair that is not airdried in my rollerset would be the same as if it was airdried in a ponytail or bun, since it is exposed in the same way.

Isis said:

Poohbear

Isis said:
I understood exactly what you said. What I posted is that it must be the leave-in. Not meaning it has to be airdried in a rollerset. The hair that is not airdried in my rollerset would be the same as if it was airdried in a ponytail or bun, since it is exposed in the same way.
oh okay! i guess i misread what you said, lol. i guess since there's much less hair exposed to air when doing a rollerset (the hair outside the roller) versus airdrying in a bun/ponytail, i don't get as much dry/stiff/frizzy hair. :yep: