Excercise and Hair Care Support Thread

tryn2growmyhair

Hi Everyone,
I've noticed that a few posters (myself included) have mentioned the difficulties of working out while trying to grow our hair. That in mind, I thought that I would start a support thread for those of us who are trying to workout and keep in shape while growing out our hair. Any tips that you have will be warmly welcomed :grin: .

I'll start with my tips. I am still learning and am a tryo beginning my hair journey compared to some of you maestros, but I will put in my two cents: Before coming to this board, I would work out at least five days a week and try to blow dry my hair hair and roots after each workout to hold on to my Dominican rollerset. I would also wash my hair every 7-14 days.
My hair has grown by increasing the number of times I wash my hair each week. I now wash at least two days a week, more if I get the itchies, and ALWAYS deep condition under a heating cap after each wash. So my hair is being deep conditioned twice a week at least. Also, I dropped the blowdryer and have cut back from my once a week Dominican rollersets. Instead, I let my hair airdry with UBH moisturizer, Bumble and Bumble Leave In, Oils and other conditioners and keep it in a bun. It would be too much for me to be trying to rock a Dominican rollerset when my hair and scalp are getting sweaty every day.

I hope that more of you will share your tips.
All the best,
Tryn2growmyhair

webby

Think Slim
My hair is just way too thick to wear my hair in a wrap after working out.

What I do is, my regular rollerset, blow my roots, but then rather than do a wrap, I do pin curls. My hair holds curls really well, so even if my hair droops after a work out, I can just pin it up again in the evening and BAM! Curls again.

Due to the thickness, I can't wash my hair more than once a week (washing my hair is a job by itself), so i just make sure to keep my hair in a neat pony tail while working out and sometimes I roll is up into a bun, then pull it out, shake and go.

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
Great idea:)
I definitely need support with the whole exercise ordeal. I find that working out and then following up with a shampoo and conditioner is the only way, I can look decent the next day and maintain the health of my hair. I have tried to wrap and let dry....................hair comes out fuzzy and crazy looking. I have tried the rollerset.........................hair comes out too wet and then it dries to a funky fuzzy look. I am exercising maybe 5-6 days a week, so every evening, I am at home washing:). Any suggestions on mild products would be greatly appreciated.

Currently rotating Creme of Nature and Design Essential Products.

moda

I need help in this area as well. When I initially began working out I would apply daily heat to my poor hair, resulting in major damage to my ends. I have placed myself on a no heat challenge for 6 months, and I have just completed my second month. I also have very thick hair and it is too much work to wash my hair every night, especially since I am not using a hair dryer to dry my hair, my hair takes quite a long time to dry. So what I have done lately is a spiral my hair on rods, I do not actually roll my whole head, I part the middle, pull the sides and back into a ponytail and pin it up in the back with a cute hair comb, since my hair is so thick the spirals fill out nicely. (Hope I explained that well enough). This has worked wonders for me, not only do I not need heat, it only takes me less than 30 min to roll my hair at not, and in the morning less than 15 to unroll and style.

Now to my problem, I have began morning workouts. (I had much success and quicker results when I worked out in the morning before, I was at my goal in 2 months, I lost 20 pounds, without changing much of my eating habits) Now that I have incorporated morning workouts I have my hair braided so I am not sure if my spiral do will hold up, and I fear it will not since I sweat profusely during a workout. I need help, I will be taking my braids this weekend, I will try the spiral do and see if it works , I am also eager to try a braidout.

kedra70

I workout nearly everyday so I have to wash or rinse my hair everyday. I'm in the 2005 Supergrowout challenge, along with stretching out my relaxer, so the one thing that been my saving grace is using LUST.

I dry my hair (loose) under a soft bonnet dryer. I don't heat style either - I use a Caruson steam setter.

webby

Think Slim
kedra70 said:
I workout nearly everyday so I have to wash or rinse my hair everyday. I'm in the 2005 Supergrowout challenge, along with stretching out my relaxer, so the one thing that been my saving grace is using LUST.

I dry my hair (loose) under a soft bonnet dryer. I don't heat style either - I use a Caruson steam setter.
How long his your hair? (I can't look now...I'm at work)

prettygrl

kedra70 said:

Do you dry your hair while it is hanging down or do you wrap it?

BTW, your hair is so pretty!

luvSLave

Great thread.

I work out 3-4 days a week. I only wash my hair once a week in the winter, on a Saturday or Sunday after my workout. On weekdays I excerise before work. After I'm done, my hair is damp, not sopping. I apply a little serum & oil to combat thefrizz,throw a couple of magnetic rollers in the top, shower and dress. Right before walking out the door, I take out the rollers and do a quick pin up. The hair is not completely dry, but the "curl" is formed enough to give me a little lift in the crown area since my pinups look better on hair that's not completely straight.

tryn2growmyhair

MAHOGNEY329 said:
I definitely need support with the whole exercise ordeal. I find that working out and then following up with a shampoo and conditioner is the only way, I can look decent the next day and maintain the health of my hair. I have tried to wrap and let dry....................hair comes out fuzzy and crazy looking. I have tried the rollerset.........................hair comes out too wet and then it dries to a funky fuzzy look. I am exercising maybe 5-6 days a week, so every evening, I am at home washing:). Any suggestions on mild products would be greatly appreciated.

How does this work for you? I have been thinking of doing this, because Andre says in his books (as does L. Akbari in hers) that its important to wash hair after every workout.

tryn2growmyhair

luvSLave said:
Great thread.

I work out 3-4 days a week. I only wash my hair once a week in the winter, on a Saturday or Sunday after my workout. On weekdays I excerise before work. After I'm done, my hair is damp, not sopping. I apply a little serum & oil to combat thefrizz,throw a couple of magnetic rollers in the top, shower and dress. Right before walking out the door, I take out the rollers and do a quick pin up. The hair is not completely dry, but the "curl" is formed enough to give me a little lift in the crown area since my pinups look better on hair that's not completely straight.
This is the issue for me, I prefer to excercise in the mornings and I think that that is a whole nother bag of chips than working out at night, because if I wash my hair in the mornings it will be wet all day long. What to do?

tryn2growmyhair

cincybrownsugar said:
I need help in this area as well. When I initially began working out I would apply daily heat to my poor hair, resulting in major damage to my ends. I have placed myself on a no heat challenge for 6 months, and I have just completed my second month. I also have very thick hair and it is too much work to wash my hair every night, especially since I am not using a hair dryer to dry my hair, my hair takes quite a long time to dry. So what I have done lately is a spiral my hair on rods, I do not actually roll my whole head, I part the middle, pull the sides and back into a ponytail and pin it up in the back with a cute hair comb, since my hair is so thick the spirals fill out nicely. (Hope I explained that well enough). This has worked wonders for me, not only do I not need heat, it only takes me less than 30 min to roll my hair at not, and in the morning less than 15 to unroll and style.

Now to my problem, I have began morning workouts. (I had much success and quicker results when I worked out in the morning before, I was at my goal in 2 months, I lost 20 pounds, without changing much of my eating habits) Now that I have incorporated morning workouts I have my hair braided so I am not sure if my spiral do will hold up, and I fear it will not since I sweat profusely during a workout. I need help, I will be taking my braids this weekend, I will try the spiral do and see if it works , I am also eager to try a braidout.

Let us know how this works out. Mornings are my problems too. I cant braid my hair because my hair is too fine and they break off my hair -- esp. the hairline -- but I would love to hear how the other alternatives work out.

Mariaat40

MAHOGNEY329 said:

Have you tried subsituting some of your shampoo washes with conditoner washes? That's what I do. I'm like you. My hair just doesn't look right unless I wash it, so I'm washing 5 times a week. I think conditioner washes are more mild than washing with shampoo every night.

luvSLave

tryn2growmyhair said:
This is the issue for me, I prefer to excercise in the mornings and I think that that is a whole nother bag of chips than working out at night, because if I wash my hair in the mornings it will be wet all day long. What to do?
I don't wash my hair after every workout, I just can't. The key for me was to 1st of all figure out how to wear my hair while working out so that its not soaked. I know some women wrap theirs - not possible for me:nono: . Ponytails are no good either. I need as much ventilation through my tresses as possible. I usiaaly just grab a couple of handfuls and loosely clip them to the top of my head. It looks horrible, but what do I care at 5am?:look:

As I said earlier, once I'm done, my hair is damp (mostly at the root), not soaked throughout. I use a little product, throw in a couple of rollers for lift while I'm dressing, take them out and do a more structured pinup.

Mestiza

This is a great thread! It's just what I need, too!

I workout 5 times a week and my scalp and nearby hair is soaked when I'm done. I just twist my hair and pin it up b4 I start working out. I do a CO Wash and deep condition twice a week. I tried doing it more frequently, but, ended up getting a nasty cold and upper respiratory infection. BTW, I'm trying not to use any heat.

blue_flower

I work out in the mornings. I used to rinse my hair after every workout, but I had to make some schedule changes and I don't do that anymore. I rinse my hair at night and after I work out in the mornings I spritz my hair with water, put some gel on it, and wear a scarf for at least half an hour. I don't care about styles; I just worry about all the frizz around my hairline. I basically wear braids (2-4) or buns. I don't know how I'm going to get away with wearing a scarf when the weather gets warmer. Maybe I'll try a few cornrows or twists up front.

bluwatersoul

I work out most days, either during my work day (most frequently) or in the evening. I perspire pretty heavily. When I was natural, I would condition wash after each workout, and then let airdry. I wore my natural hair in braids - not extensions - which were curly. I would wash with the gym conditioner, and then use Nexxus Humectress as a leave in. It worked great, and I did this for about 2 years.

Now relaxed - well, in the summer I did the same thing, except after using the humectress I pulled my hair back into a bun. It was sleek and wet but not sopping, and the conditioner helped as it would dry to not get dried out. Now its winter, so I rinse less often, and not always my entire head. I tilt my head back so that just the hairline gets wet in the shower. I still apply some conditioner or Aveda Brilliant for shine and control, but since its cold I tie on a silk scarf and then put my hat on(or if it isnt cold, just the scarf) and then remove it when I back to the office. My scarf collection is becoming my best friend actually. But I don't use heat - I haven't since starting to work out during the day.

At home - I work out, then get to spend alot of time in teh shower washing, cooling off, and washing my hair. No problem! But this only happens about twice a week.

the prize is the journey
Blu

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
Mariaat40 said:
Have you tried subsituting some of your shampoo washes with conditoner washes? That's what I do. I'm like you. My hair just doesn't look right unless I wash it, so I'm washing 5 times a week. I think conditioner washes are more mild than washing with shampoo every night.

Mariaat, I found a mild shampoo so I think that will be my best bet. According to the Bottle, it is gentle enough for everyday use. I have tried all sorts of conditioners, they leave my hair poofy...............all well:)

Artemis

Re: Exercise and Hair Care Support Thread

Bumping...:)

Right now I am just washing 2x/week on workout days, but when I increase my frequency, I think I may start co-washing, or at least just rinsing. I'm also thinking a/b whether braidouts would help keep manipulation to a minimum...I joined a fight school where we train w/kickboxing, mma, etc, so there's a lot of sweating!!

Great thread!

Last edited:

kbragg

Re: Exercise and Hair Care Support Thread

What do you ladies who workout frequently do about touch ups? I was going to wait until I finished P90X but I'm not gonna make it. I still workout 6 days a week and was thinking about relaxing Thursday before my family gets in from out of town. Do you think my scalp will be too sensative if I cowash? I'm going to be using ORS Lye which I heard does not burn and will be basing it really well. Let me know! Thanks in advance!

neenzmj

I'm natural and my hair saves and curls with the slightest bit of moisture. After getting over the fact that I wasn't going to be able to maintain my weekend rollerset/flat iron, I've been trying to work out a routine that allows for exercise and some semblance of a cute hair style for the work week.

For example, I did Spinning yesterday morning. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail, tied down with a scarf and put rollers on the end. This resulted in a nice smooth ponytail with curls on the ends. This style would have taken me through another day or so, but I opted to go curly today. I'll go running this evening and then shampoo afterward probably do wash 'n go's until the weekend, at which time I'll decide what style I'll wear next.

gabulldawg

BUMPING! This seems like a great thread that we should revive! Anymore tips for exercising and maintaining healthy hair?

monami

This really is a great thread. Working out is so important. I work out at least 3x a week (M-W-F). I wash my hair on Wed (myself) and Sat(salon). deep conditioning everytime. It has really helped my hair grow!:)

Ms Red

Bump. How are other naturals maintaining a nice style and working out?? I'm going to get up to 4 times a week and need a plan. :confused:

CurleeDST

I simply resolved myself to the fact that a choice has to be made between great looking hair and working out. I choose working out and just co-washing my hair or rinsing it after each workout and wearing wash and go's with PHHB holding it back. Don't really know what else I can do at this point.

I prefer morning workouts as well - gets my metabolism revved up and roaring! BTW my workouts lately (just started back this past Monday) consists of running on my treadmill. Am looking for an elliptical machine to purchase so I can cross train.

cafe1

I work out 5 to 6 times a week and theres no way I can maintain a straight style doing this...so...I have resigned to wear my hear in a bun 99% of the time...If I get my hair flat ironed its mos def on a day off... and I always know it doesnt last too much more than 2 days because I wash no less than every 2 to 3 days max.

Frequent washers...what shampoo(s) are you using?

MissScarlett

I work out about 4x a week, on top of being OUTSide in this GA humdity. I cannot at all maintain a straight style in the summer:nono:

During the cooler months, when I work out, I brush my hair in a HIGH and tight ponytail literally on top of my head. I wrap my ponytail around with a scrunchi. I put on two bands.

When I get done working out, this sounds nasty probably, but I don't take the ponytail down. I just let it dry like that, because the tension from the ponytail keeps my curls in check. I can only do this for 2x mabye 3 workouts until its too sweaty and needs to be washed.

But in the am when I take the ponytail down, the back is still straight, I spray my edges/roots with ion heat protectant and bum the roots, put some serum on my edges and go. If my curls died, I will plug in the caruso's in. Usually though, the ponytail keeps it wrapped with its curls. Its only curly on the 'inside' and no one can see.

The other days, I either co-wash and go curly or bun it. I just don't see any good way to work out and maintain a straight style for an entire week.

MissScarlett

I work out 5 to 6 times a week and theres no way I can maintain a straight style doing this...so...I have resigned to wear my hear in a bun 99% of the time...If I get my hair flat ironed its mos def on a day off... and I always know it doesnt last too much more than 2 days because I wash no less than every 2 to 3 days max.

Frequent washers...what shampoo(s) are you using?

Since I wash and co-wash alot in the summer, I use cheapie shampoos/cons...Garnier Fructris or Dove

How did I miss this thread?

I'm getting back into running every morning. Here's my dilemma...

I'll be wearing a sew in for most of the Summer months and I worry about how I'm going to keep my scalp fresh. Any suggestions? I'll be using a net weave so my scalp will be fully accessible under the net.

bLackButtaFly

I'm natural, and I just finished my first tri, and was working out about 4 times a week or more, often includig pool workouts. Buns, buns and moree buns, and ponypuffs are the only thing the works for me. usually I'll do a nice twistout on wet hair after washing over the weekend. Then spinning/cycling on monday, and tie the front back, and put ascarf overnight, to get it smooth in the morning. Then Tuesdays is swimming at night, so I'll just Co-wash that night, and slick into aponytail witha scarf over night. Wednesday adn thursday running, so bun the back and tie down the front, and friday is another swim, so back to pony puff for that night, and then redo twistout over the weekend. I change my part often and I don't put in tight ponypuffs, or buns, and I moisturize the edges to tie them down instead of using gel, so I don't get the breakage in the front. I also moisturize everynight, and make sure to protect my ends in satin scarf. I also color, so the chlorine can be brutal, so lots of moisture, and I don't really do alot of brushing or combing to change styles. Just finger styling.