Conditioners w/ Glycerin in the winter?!

luvbighair

We all know that products with high amounts of glycerin are lethal in the winter because of their humectant properties....

but what if its just in the conditioner, not a leave-in or mosturizer? would that be harmful?

i want to try the Nexxus Humectress, but the second ingredient is Glycerin.

any user of Humectress during winter???

Mrs. Verde

If glycerin is the second ingredient on the listing, that is suppose to mean that there is a lot of glycerin in the product. I say suppose to because some companies lie about the order of their ingredients. What area of the country do you live in? I would focus on the dew point in your area. As long as the dew point is in the 40-60 (4 to 16 C) degree range you should be ok.

If you live in an extremely cold climate, then the other option is to only use the product at night when you don't plan on going out. Good luck.

Tiye

If glycerin is the second ingredient on the listing, that is suppose to mean that there is a lot of glycerin in the product. I say suppose to because some companies lie about the order of their ingredients. What area of the country do you live in? I would focus on the dew point in your area. As long as the dew point is in the 40-60 (4 to 16 C) degree range you should be ok.

If you live in an extremely cold climate, then the other option is to only use the product at night when you don't plan on going out. Good luck.

These are some good points. Just because it's winter doesn't mean it's cold and dry - it can be cold and damp too depending on the overall climate in your area. And don't take labels for gospel. The fda does have labelling regs or guidelines but that doesn't mean that manufacturers are in compliance 100% of the time. Glycerin second on an ingredients list sounds odd - either the product would be unbearably sticky or it's mostly water but I haven't used this product and might be wrong. Go by how your hair feels - that's the main thing. If your hair starts to feel dry then it's time to switch products.

MizzCoco

In my area, the winter is the only time I can use glycerin containing conditioners. I rollerset every week, and if I used a glycerin condish in the summer, my hair would frizz as soon as I step outside! My overall climate is not dry, I live in the south US

luvbighair

great replies.

I'll check the dewpoints in my area to see if its bad, but if i'm sleeping in my condish and then rinsing it out in the morning (w/o ever stepping foot outside), does it even matter?

Curlykale

great replies.

I'll check the dewpoints in my area to see if its bad, but if i'm sleeping in my condish and then rinsing it out in the morning (w/o ever stepping foot outside), does it even matter?

it depends on the level of humidity in our bed and home while you are sleeping:
...glycerin and other humectants draw moisture from the air into your hair, or they do the opposite (draw moisture out of you hair). the moody level of humidity (= dew point) decides what is going to happen on your head if you use glycerin. where I live, humectants don't like me and I ignore them.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Because you will be rinsing it out, the glycerin content of your conditioner won't matter. Just make sure there is no glycerin in your leave-in products and seal it in with something.

I live in Chicago and Nexxus Humectress is one of the main conditioners I use in the winter.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Bumping for additional input. Juicing (for leave-ins) makes my hair feel good for the moment but it's crispy later on now that it's cooling off.

MissMusic

Doesn't matter in conditioner, your hair is trying to suck up moisture anyway when you deep condition and with wet hair there is plenty to give. Glycerin content matters for leave-in conditioners, cool/cold and humid climates can get away with glycerin, cool/cold dry climates cannot.