Straight hair with mild relaxers

VirtuousGal

I'm sure that there was a thread on mild relaxers that could straighten hair pretty well, however, I havent been able or do a satisfying search since the site changed. So here's another one, what mild relaxer have given you pretty satisfactory straightening results? How long do you smooth and leave on? I was on the Hawaiian Silky regular no-lye no mix tip, but my hair thinned from that...time for a switch!

bebezazueta

I use Silken Child No-Lye Relaxer and it straightens bone straight on me. I have 4a/4b with some 3c textures. I have been using Just For Me No-Lye Relaxer for years but Silken Child feels better hands down. I am also able to stretch comfortably too. I'm on week 8 of a 20 week stretch. Make sure you do protein treatments to inhibit breakage prior to your relaxer and roux porosity control to really bring the ph level down in your hair after a relaxer. Of course, I shampoo at least 3 times with neutralizing shampoo first, then the roux porosity control conditioner to finish off. Then a nice moisturizing dc.

HHG!

VirtuousGal

I use Silken Child No-Lye Relaxer and it straightens bone straight on me. I have 4a/4b with some 3c textures. I have been using Just For Me No-Lye Relaxer for years but Silken Child feels better hands down. I am also able to stretch comfortably too. I'm on week 8 of a 20 week stretch. Make sure you do protein treatments to inhibit breakage prior to your relaxer and roux porosity control to really bring the ph level down in your hair after a relaxer. Of course, I shampoo at least 3 times with neutralizing shampoo first, then the roux porosity control conditioner to finish off. Then a nice moisturizing dc.

HHG!

Thanks for the suggestion! I used a no-lye for the first time recently and it underprocessed like a mug with Profectiv, I was pretty surprised after some of the raves I was hearing, and it definitely had that dry feeling that I heard ppl associating with no-lye with for years. I want to so a corrective with lye...decisions decisions.

bimtheduck

Mizani mild, my stylist smoothes over the sections just once and then we wash it all out. I have pretty thick 3C/4A hair.

MissLawyerLady

Alter Ego Linange Relaxer

I agree. I just used this relaxer for the first time (self-relaxed) and loved it. It got my fine 3c/4a hair straight but not lifeless in approx. 18 minutes. I have just enough texture that my hair isn't flat to my head and thin looking. I had absolutely no burning (I did base well) and there was absolutely no "relaxer" smell to this relaxer.

sunnieb

I use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp with wonderful results!

Since I pre-section my hair, I'm able to apply the relaxer in 10 minutes, then I spend 10 minutes smoothing.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb regarding pre-sectioning...what do you use to hold the various sections together? I think this is a step I'd like to incorporate.

sunnieb

@sunnieb regarding pre-sectioning...what do you use to hold the various sections together? I think this is a step I'd like to incorporate.

Nix08 I section, oil, and twist my hair like this:

When applying the relaxer, I just lift each twist and go. I leave the twists in until I rinse out the relaxer and they come undone during the rinsing. I explain more in my fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2011/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb that's fantastic...thank you so much for this:yep:. I'm definitely going to try this...although an hour to do the twists sound daunting.....

sunnieb

sunnieb that's fantastic...thank you so much for this:yep:. I'm definitely going to try this...although an hour to do the twists sound daunting.....

Well you might get it done faster, but I just take my sweet time when doing my relaxers. I'm slow! I love the way my hair turns out though!

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

hothair

I used Phyto 1 cause my natural hair was fine and coloured got me bone straight in 18 minutes application took me about 7 minutes and I smoothed for the rest of the time.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb it definitely looks worth it:grin: 1 more question how do you avoid the mark from the ponytail when you do the pony rollerset?

sunnieb

sunnieb it definitely looks worth it:grin: 1 more question how do you avoid the mark from the ponytail when you do the pony rollerset?

Nix08 - truthfully, I haven't figured out how to avoid the ponytail mark. :look: Notice the crimp in my avatar pic.

So I just wear a banana clip ponytail during the day until I set it for the night to smooth out the crimp with my silk scarf.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Judwill07

@Nix08 I section, oil, and twist my hair like this:

When applying the relaxer, I just lift each twist and go. I leave the twists in until I rinse out the relaxer and they come undone during the rinsing. I explain more in my fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/2011/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

Thanks for sharing this tip. Your fotki is nice and your hair looks very healthy. I've been stretching for 42 weeks now and should I decide to texlax in the future, your method with small sections will be the best way for me to do my hair without overlaping.:yep:

Last edited:

ezina

My stylist uses Affirm Mild (lye). All these years as a child growing up, I have used some variation of Coarse/Super Strength relaxers because of my "Nigerian Hair". I went to a stylist last year and saw mild on the jar and did a double take. It came out pretty straight (from extremely loose to no wave patter at all when wet). I still go to the same stylist and she still uses the same relaxer.

My severely under-processed areas came from a no-lye (known for being better straighteners than lye) experience from a different stylist. Therefore, I think technique matters a big deal when it comes to relaxing straight.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Linange Texturizer. This is milder version of the relaxer and leaves my hair feeling so good afterward. The best relaxer I have ever used.