Wet Bunning-- best oils and stuff to put in

SingBrina

Okay so I am going to try the wet bun soon, what oils or moisturizers should I put in. I am totally not used to this! I saw one video and the lady kept the conditioner in her hair and went out! You leave the conditioner in your hair? Don't wash it out!?

brucebettye

I use scurl or carefree curl(depends on my hair). Then I seal my ends with vasoline or hair grease. I seal with that because it is easier to take off my ponytail holder and I have less broken hairs on it. Also another good tip is to soak your ponytail holder in olive oil before you put it on, this also helps with preventing your ends from breaking off if you don't want to use hair grease.

LouLou1355

I'm also new to the wet bun technique. I'm going to use Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil, Wave Nouveau Daily Humectant Moisturizing Lotion, EFAGold Coconut Oil (Extra Virgin Organic), and Rosewater. Of course I'm not using all these at once, its just some of the products I plan to use. I have MANY products I need to finish up, and wet bunning is going to help me out with that! : )

I browsed through the wet bun challenge thread, and a lot of the ladies had success with this technique. It sounds promising!

almondjoi85

I damp bun because I swim daily in the summer. I only use Wave Nouveau and maybe a little coconut oil for added shine.

SingBrina

I damp bun because I swim daily in the summer. I only use Wave Nouveau and maybe a little coconut oil for added shine.

Thanks! Yeah I have been seeing Coconut Oil used a lot. I have a question, do you wash out the conditioner when you wet bun or leave it in? Or do you put in a leave in conditioner? I saw a video and it looked as if the girl left in her conditioner all day...... did this help your hair grow faster? Thanks

grow

Thanks! Yeah I have been seeing Coconut Oil used a lot. I have a question, do you wash out the conditioner when you wet bun or leave it in? Or do you put in a leave in conditioner? I saw a video and it looked as if the girl left in her conditioner all day...... did this help your hair grow faster? Thanks

i leave the conditioner in and yes, i think it helped my hair growth.
of course, many things helped, i'm sure, but maybe that's got alot to do with retention i now have.
i put a regular conditioner or a leave in as soon as i get out of the shower, then an oil to help smooth my hairline as i'm drawing it back.
the oil also dilutes the leave in conditioner or regular conditioner so it's not white or chalky looking.
then i put my hair in a ponytail and swamp everything from the ponytail holder on down in conditioner.....it doesn't matter if it's white and chalky looking because that part gets bagged, covered and bunned all day.

I wanted to attempt this, but I'm scared. My hair is weak when it's wet. Do you guys come out the wet hair or do you just do the bun without combing out ?

MissLawyerLady

^^^^^^^^
I don't comb out- but that's just me. I'm low-manipulation so I just bun without combing. I only comb on wash day/DC day.

grow

^^^^^^^^
I don't comb out- but that's just me. I'm low-manipulation so I just bun without combing. I only comb on wash day/DC day.

good point, MissLawyerLady!

i forgot that one. i comb when i have time but in an average week, i might go 2-3 days with no combing.
when i've stretched, i would even go up to 14 days with no combing.
that's also why it's so important to keep that conditioner on, so that when you DO comb, it's soft and pliable. that's what works for me.

grow

I'm new to wet bunning also. Do you use a phony pony or your own hair to bun?

many ladies use both, Hair7, but i've only used my hair, over which i put a plastic bag (like sandwich bags), over which i cover with knee high stockings and scarves.

today, i'm going to cowash, then put some giovanni leave in moisturizing conditioner all over, then some kukui and jbco oil.:lick:

after that, i'll do my ponytails to get ready to bun, then cover everything after the elastic of the ponytail with Joico Intense Hydrator K-Pak Moisturizer conditioner and seal it in with more oil.:lick:

then, i'll cover my bagged buns and be out and about!:yep:

janda

I use a phony pony because my hair is too short for a decent pony on its own. I gather my hair into a ponytail holder and wrap some weave weft around it (not too much). I pin the weave hair and make a bun with it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
FYI: Knee high stockings work well as ponytail holders as well! I saturate mine with a little conditioner before putting it on my hair. It seems to work out pretty good.

Question to all -- How do you make your cuticles lay flat without combing or brushing?

SingBrina

I just did my first one yesterday, I used my own hair, turned out better than I thought!! I thought the bun would be all small! But as I gathered all my hair to a ponytail it was way thicker and longer than I thought, it would have been nice in a ponytail, but i guess I have to wrap the ends up so it helps with the effect...

Whimsy

When I wet bun, i wash my hair condition it, and rinse out the conditioner, i apply my moisturizer, cantu and then my coconut oil and bun up. The next day I'll spray with water, moisturize and seal with oil again....

brucebettye

FYI: Knee high stockings work well as ponytail holders as well! I saturate mine with a little conditioner before putting it on my hair. It seems to work out pretty good.

Question to all -- How do you make your cuticles lay flat without combing or brushing?

My hair is damp when I bun so I put gel(alot I have thick hair) on top of my damp and moisturized hair and use my fingers to slick it back. When it drys my hair is not perfectly laying flat, but is is neat.