Finally - Sleek Takes China (Chinese Salon) with pics

SleekandBouncy

I typed this out before and lost it when my browser froze. I've finally retyped it so here goes.
Some of you may remember that in '08 after a series of gradual cuts I went from this

To this

Over the year+ I maintained it around that or shoulder length and recently I started to really grow it out.
Anyhoo, I've been to white salons before for haircuts, but this was my first visit to an Asian (Chinese to be specific) salon. Due to tangles and fear of mishandling I opted for a dry-cut so I washed and straightened my hair, myself the night before.

The staff is all Chinese and so are 85% of the clients. Funnily, just like certain black salons I sat there waiting for a good 30 minutes on my first visit. My 2nd and most recent visit however involved only a short wait.
I explained to Ming what features I'm proudest of and which I wouldn't mind downplaying. He found my bluntness hilarious and I found his precision and humor very enjoyable.

I told him I wanted face framing/graduated layers with a slight shag quality.
Layers have done wonders for my hair. My twist-outs look extra fantastic and a basic ponytail doesn't look quite so basic. I've had layered cuts before, but these are the shortest.

On a side note I have to rave about Phyto's Moisturizing Styling Balm with Quinoa oil. One of the few products that doesn't weigh my hair down and give it that heavy relaxed look. It's also moisturizing. I absolutely love it!
I've also been using Phytospecific's relaxer Level II (3x). I've observed a little reversion or rather texture inconsistency, unfortunately, but overall I like the results.
Since my first big cut in '08 I have almost ZERO breakage. I suspect my old hairdresser was over-processing my hair and/or I was using a relaxer that was not appropriate for my hair. Tangles however are still the bane of my existence :(

The first two pics are from the 1st and 2nd day after the cut. The lighting and camera flash makes my hair look jet black in some photos when it's really a dark brown with a few tawny highlights in front plus I also had a recent mishap with a box of Champagne Fizz hairdye :look:

Twist out

Last edited:

SunnyDelight

Ming gave you a really good cut. Its cute and shaped great. I Love a sylist who listens and does what you ask.

MrsHdrLe

I love your hair and I love layers! The cut is very flattering and the shine is definitely drool worthy. Thanks for the heads up on products that work well for you (and awakening the pj beast that dwells beneath).
I really love how full the layers look w/o looking thin or scraggly even with the twist out.

ShiShiPooPoo

Beautiful!!! I love it! The angles on that cut are just :yep:. I wish some of us could cut like that. Once I told a stylist I wanted texture and she didn't know what that meant. When I went to the Taiwanese lady, she used about three different types of shears. I love a stylist that can cut.

They did a GREAT job. Shoot you making me want to be relaxed again!!!!

SleekandBouncy

Ironically he took very calmly and comfortably to cutting my hair more so than the white stylist (male) who cut my bob. I took it all in stride and with humor, but in retrospect it was actually a bit weird. He (white guy) fretted and triple checked my hair and provided various disclaimers about not being familiar with my kind of hair and how I might want to re-schedule with the other stylist more familiar with "ethnic" hair because he didn't realize I had [insert various stumbling words to describe black folk hair]. That lasted over 15 min minutes. Never mind that I explained to his receptionist that I have relaxed black hair because I didn't want to walk in and surprise anyone.

Ming however, did not. He didn't blink an eye when he saw me and neither did his (not overly friendly) receptionists or anyone else. It was literally no big deal.

SelahOco

So pretty! Your hair grows out really well! It's so shiny.

Sleek, did they find it odd that you came there? Or did they act normal?

ETA: I see above.

SleekandBouncy

So pretty! Your hair grows out really well! It's so shiny.

Sleek, did they find it odd that you came there? Or did they act normal?

Nope. They acted normal.
The ladies behind the counter (Chinese) were quiet and just looked at me but it was the usual-usual you get with women, nothing major and I didn't assume it was a racial thing. They were pretty much "regular" in their manner.
The other stylists were matter of fact, not overly friendly but I'm used to that. No stares, no weird faces or questions.

I will def be going back.
He has another stylist who hooked this lady's hair up. OMG I literally turned around in my seat. It was elbow length and he layered a few pieces around her face, it was so floaty and bouncy and perfectly shaped.

Kurlee

:drool: I loveeeeeeeeee ittttttttt! Makes me wanna cut my hair and relax :drool: Ming, you say? :scratchchin: Is this salon remotely close to any of the great lakes? :look:

Last edited:

sherann

Gorgeous Sleek! I was really hoping to hear that you found a solution to the tangles since that is the bane of my existence as well (along with breakage). But you said the Phyto helps with breakage right? Off to do some internet research

SleekandBouncy

Gorgeous Sleek! I was really hoping to hear that you found a solution to the tangles since that is the bane of my existence as well (along with breakage). But you said the Phyto helps with breakage right? Off to do some internet research

I believe it was that AND chopping off the old damaged hair.
This isn't necessarily limited to Phyto, I'm not sure. Before this I was using Mizani and I really liked it. I think the damage came from Affirm :nono:

I used the Phyto on my mother's rec because it seems more gentle and she liked the more natural ingredients.

Honestly, I don't even moisturize my hair on a regular basis :/
I moisturize every 2-3 days and usually focused on the ends.

CarLiTa

The twist-out was achieved from parting my hair in about 4 or 5 rows and doing twist cornrows.

The braidout/twist out looks great! I remember the last couple of years when I was relaxed, I would try to do twists and when I would unravel them, my hair would still be stick straight:wallbash: A freaking joke :lol:
twist cornrows?? < u mean flat twists?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
that looks fantastic-the layers are absolutely perfect!!!
i can totally relate to a major cut turning my hair around-it's growing back like 10x thicker looking. :yep:

NaturalPath

I normally prefer blunt cuts than layers but your definitely making me rethink this.....your hair is really beautiful

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Your cut looks beautiful ... love the layers. I also love that twistout. It looks very full.

MissMusic

Gorgeous!! I love those layers and the cut as a whole. You really hit on to someone who knows what they are doing. Wow.

SleekandBouncy

The braidout/twist out looks great! I remember the last couple of years when I was relaxed, I would try to do twists and when I would unravel them, my hair would still be stick straight:wallbash: A freaking joke :lol:
twist cornrows?? < u mean flat twists?

Yes, sorry. Flat twists :lachen:

Try twisting all the way down and then pinning it flat so it doesn't unravel or use the bendy/twist rollers.