horribly ITCHING SCALP!! any help?

FroFab

Have you tried clarifying? Maybe you could do water rinses and space out cowashing with actual conditioners for every other day or every third day? Also you might want to try letting your scalp just breathe and actually dry out before re-washing. If you MUST put something on your actual scalp I would try a little tea tree/jojoba mixture because jojoba oil is light and most like your natural scalp secretions and tea tree will fight/prevent any type of fungal irritations.

melissa-bee

Have you tried diluted apple cider vinegar on your scalp as the last rinse. It balances the ph on your scalp and it's anti fungal as well. Just pour it on your scalp, massage it in your scalp. Do not rinse it out. The smell of vinegar will go as your hair dries.
It takes a few washes but it should improve by the wash.
I had a similar problem and i believe this and tea tree oil helped.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Have you tried diluted apple cider vinegar on your scalp as the last rinse. It balances the ph on your scalp and it's anti fungal as well. Just pour it on your scalp, massage it in your scalp. Do not rinse it out. The smell of vinegar will go as your hair dries.
It takes a few washes but it should improve by the wash.
I had a similar problem and i believe this and tea tree oil helped.

i do the acv rinse, massage into scalp often...but i always rinsed after the conditioner applied

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Sometimes it could be a certain ingredient you're allergic to that you keep putting on your scalp making it worse. Have you tried Sulfur 8?

Years ago I went through a severely itchy scalp when I had an allergic reaction to a hair dye. I tried everything, Tea Tree oil, some other oils marketed for scalp itch and who knows what else. It drove me crazy. I can't really remember if Sulfur 8 helped at that time but it ended after about a week. But if the Sulfur 8 doesn't help then I'd try something anti-fungal like the Miconazole Nitrate. Check out the ingredients in your shampoos and stuff and see if any similar ingredients are listed, like parabens.

I'd also try taking something like Benadryl, just in case it's an allergic reaction.

And in case it's fungal I'd try the MN. You can dab a little in one spot to see if it helps.

Good luck! HTH

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Research the indian herbs - shikakai, brahami, amla, henna, etc. They are VERY GOOD for the scalp/hair. I never suffered from itchy scalp, but since I've been using these I have no scalp issues at all.

HTH

JustSimplyTish

I woke up last night with my scalp itching like crazy...I thought I was gonna scratch my head off...

I had some HairVeda Whipped Green Tea Butter so I put it on my scalp and OMG the itching stopped like instantly....

I have used the Qhemet's Tea Tree & Grapeseed Therapeutic Pomade in the past and it works fabulous too

KinkyGenius

When I had itchy scalp issues, what I did was put some Mizani Scalp Care Conditioner in a color applicator bottle watering it down just a bit and put it directly on my scalp. It felt so good. Then rinse and that stopped the itching immediately for me. I no longer have those issues though, I think it's because I stopped using conditioners that contained a lot of cones.

SherylsTresses

What worked for me was prepooing scalp and hair overnight just before my shampoo. I mixed:

Dandruff Treatment Recipe:
1 cup moisturizing conditioner
1 tbsp tea tree oil
1 tbsp peppermint oil
1 tbsp EVOO

I sure hope something works out for you. :yep:

melissa-bee

Maybe you are allergic to commercial ingredients. Like someone suggested use herbs to cleanse your scalp, or even cheaper is baking soda, that helped me as well.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Maybe you are allergic to commercial ingredients. Like someone suggested use herbs to cleanse your scalp, or even cheaper is baking soda, that helped me as well.

i absolutely think this may be apart of it....MY SKIN>>> CAN'T WEAR FAKE JEWELRY (INFLAMMED SKIN)...CAN'T WEAR REAL JEWELRY FOR LONG (IRRITATED/ITCHY SKIN)...

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Research the indian herbs - shikakai, brahami, amla, henna, etc. They are VERY GOOD for the scalp/hair. I never suffered from itchy scalp, but since I've been using these I have no scalp issues at all.

HTH

i have been using brahami, shikakai, neem (that's all they had) and so far i like them on my face
i think neem caused me to shed alot
something did....like over nite & that was the newby

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

sulfur 8 works well for the day....but wears off so quickly

i sit under the dryer with it on my scalp....but next day...its over
i may set it on fire

Last edited:

Lady S

I'd get an allergy test to see if you can pinpoint a specific thing you're allergic to. That way, maybe you won't have to give away/sell all of your hair products. I can't use sulfates on my scalp, but everything else is fine. And I use moisturizers, pomade, oils, silicons. . .

From your list, it sounds like you're trying to keep it natural. But have you tried any of the dandruff shampoos like selsun blue or head & shoulders. What about T-Gel? It does reek of charcoal, though. But I think sulfer 8 has a stronger smell. Nizoral works very well for me. I rotate it with Kimble's peppermint shampoo. I will not like to you, Nizoral is drying. You do have to balance it out with conditioner and moisturizers. There's also Scalpicin, an anti-itch liquid treatment.

ETA: Forgot about the insurance thing, but you maybe able to do your own allergy test like doing your own patch tests on your arm, like they tell you to do when you dye your hair. Itchy scalp is horrible. I've had scabs from scratching so hard. I hope you find a solution. ((((((HUGS)))))))

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i DEFINITELY think any conditioners on my scalp are irritants

but this preceding my current practice (conditioning root to tip)
but it is now a lot worse

Last edited:

Lady S

i have a damaged my scalp i'm sure
i initially thought it was the braids...i'm a chronic braider....synthetic & human
but i've been out of braids for about a year...still no relief

i have done scalpicin= nothing....nizoral, dr. miracle & most dandruff itchy shampoos work! but the effect wears off like within hours (or at least by the next day) t-gel , they all help, but no solutions....work for less than 24hrs usually
i've been trying natural to get rid of any possible irritants

i think any conditioners on my scalp are irritants

:hug2: I'm sorry, hon. I know it's frustrating. But hang in there.

What about those fragrance-free, dye-free shampoos? I do believe they still have sulfates, though.

Even though it's not a complete solution, you may want to try a hydrocortisone cream on your scalp daily for the itch. Something like Cortizone or Aveeno. Benadryl cream doesn't have hydrocortisone so it's not as effective.

Another consideration, monistat. Yes, the yeast infection cream. Or the ointment that treats athlete's foot.

Platinum

Co-Signing on MN. I used to mix it with Sulfur 8 and add a little peppermint oil to it when I had itchy scalp issues in the past. The combination worked well for me.:yep:

westNDNbeauty

Have you tried Nizoral Shampoo???

I used to have a completely jacked up scalp. It was so bad that I couldn't go more than 3 days without washing due to the itching and flakes. I used Nizoral about twice a month for a year and I am pleased to say, I have one health scalp. No itchies. I can go 2 weeks without washing if I wanted. And I no longer have to use Nizoral.

Just make sure you have a moisture rich conditioner to follow up with.

Check walgreen or cvs. Blue odd shaped bottle.

Your method for treating scalp itch is going to depend on the cause. Could be seborrhea dermatitis, too much product on scalp, not washing often enough, allergy to ingredients etc.

My flakes tend to be very bad. The flakes are large and dry unlike the tiny flecks that are dandruff. Regardless of the treatment you are pursuing the frequency of its use is important. I find that I must wash my hair every three days to reduce the flakes. This alone helps significantly even without using any special treatment Neutrogena T-Gel can sometimes help depending on your issue but it strips your hair and gets everything all tangled. For me its not worth it.

Steaming your hair does help a bit. As well, doing a hot treatment, massaging the scalp and usng a comb to gently rub off the flakes can also be helpful.

Poopiedo

My mom told me she had constant itching in the top of her head. Her hair also became thin in the area. Once day she decided to use Neosporin in that area and she said the itching stopped and the hair is growing back slowly. I also told her about cowashing. I've bought her conditioner and coconut oil and she does this daily. She hasn't mentioned anything about itching anymore.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Your method for treating scalp itch is going to depend on the cause. Could be seborrhea dermatitis, too much product on scalp, not washing often enough, allergy to ingredients etc.

My flakes tend to be very bad. The flakes are large and dry unlike the tiny flecks that are dandruff. Regardless of the treatment you are pursuing the frequency of its use is important. I find that I must wash my hair every three days to reduce the flakes. This alone helps significantly even without using any special treatment Neutrogena T-Gel can sometimes help depending on your issue but it strips your hair and gets everything all tangled. For me its not worth it.

Steaming your hair does help a bit. As well, doing a hot treatment, massaging the scalp and usng a comb to gently rub off the flakes can also be helpful.

THANK U so much

never had any flakes...i was too much now b/c of the itching
yes i have gotten matted hair from certain dandruff shampoos so i refrain
try adding only to scalp..

I THINK I MAY TRY MN &/or NEOSPORIN
NEED TO KNOW WHICH NEOSPORIN....WHICH MN....WHERE TO FIND THE SULFUR

Last edited: