Those Who Claim More than 1" Per Month

Thiends

Can one of you or someone else share info on whether this growth rate was sustained?

I have read a lot of threads with people claiming 1", 1.5", even 2" of growth per month by using monistat, MTG, coconut oil, spirulina, wild growth hair oil, chlorella, castor oil, prenatal vitamins, scalp massages, ayurvedic powders, various essential oils etc (y'all see that I am up to date on the latest hair growth products). :yep: However, when I have followed up on some of these people's albums six months to a year later, their hair has not seemed any longer than it would be, if their growth rate was the regular 1/2". :perplexed

What is going on? Does anyone have pictures to share showing that they got 12" to 24" of growth in one year? Should I just not believe these claims?

I would love for these claims to be true, because heaven knows I would love to grow a foot of hair in the next year. I am serious. I am considering jumping on some bandwagons, but I need some evidence.

Last edited:

ms.blue

To me the only way you see massive amount of growth is when you supplement something into your diet that is lacking. I think kimmaytube said that the hair is last to get nutrients. So if the body is lacking vitamins b/c of a bad diet and all the sudden there is a change b/c either started taking vitamins or began eating healthier, the body is going to absorbed the nutrients first and the excess will go to the hair making the hair to appear growing fast also genetics will play a part in hair growth.

JJamiah

Pregnancy also helps, I don't know about Prenatal vitamains, I just ate healthy, and once the pregnancy was over so was the rapid growth LOL. That is the only time I got 1 inch a month. But no one wants to get knocked up for some hair. LOL!

But in this case everything was growing, belly, nails, hair, scale weight, and tah tah's. :D

FroFab

Pregnancy also helps, I don't know about Prenatal vitamains, I just ate healthy, and once the pregnancy was over so was the rapid growth LOL. That is the only time I got 1 inch a month. But no one wants to get knocked up for some hair. LOL!

But in this case everything was growing, belly, nails, hair, scale weight, and tah tah's. :D

And to be clear for some of us it wasn't just HEAD hair that grew like crazy. :perplexed

Creatividual

Don't believe the hype. Keep it simple is my motto. Take good care of your hair, baby your ends, eat a healthy diet, drink lots of water, and your hair will grow just fine. Many swear by diff supplements, growth oils, etc and maybe they do work great for them but it's not a guarantee that they will do exactly the same for you (b/c you're a different person, diff body chemistry, genetics, etc.). And you have to be careful with them. Some ladies take way more than necessary and could end up messin themselves up if not now, in the long run.

It's too much extra for me and besides my scalp hates anything on it that isn't the natural sebum it produces so that nix almost all of them for me. Lol. I used to use chlorella but I've never been one who does length checks consistently so I don't know if it really sped up my growth rate or not.

Charlie555

I have used growth aids such as the target brand monistat mixed with oils and got 1" a month for like 2 months. Then I started getting lazy with it. Once I realized I was getting around 1/2" in the winter months & 3/4" in the warm months on my own naturally, I had to ask myself, is it really worth it? Lol so I canceled using it.

I also took biotin and it thickened my hair more then it already is. But the length didn't increase from it.

I took MSM & it made my new growth softer which was nice when I was on a long stretch. Yet again there was no growth. So now that I'm not stretching more than 12-14 weeks I don't really need it.

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
If those claims were really true, there would be bigger amount of posters here with waist length and longer hair.

I personally don't believe those claims at all...

Just retaining 10-12 cm a year is a wonderful acheivement. :)

chrstndiva

The most I ever grew in a month was 3/4". That only happened a couple of times in my lifetime. I was eating very healthy, taking lots of supplements and training for a 1/2 marathon. Haven't seen that kind of growth in a looooonnnnnnng while. It's usually 1/2" a month for me, but without retention, it really doesn't matter how fast your hair grows.

chelleypie810

so basically in one yr.. if someone is getting about a 1/2 in per month, your hair will only get about 6 in a yr right? and that would be retaining all length..hmph. This hair journey is gonna take forever.

I had an inch of growth in march using mm but this month and April hardly any growth. I stopped all the vits so that might explain the lack of growth. I don't believe it's possible to get consistent growth with the growth aids.

Nonie

so basically in one yr.. if someone is getting about a 1/2 in per month, your hair will only get about 6 in a yr right? and that would be retaining all length..hmph. This hair journey is gonna take forever.

Not really, unless you're trying to grow ankle-length hair. The tough part of the journey is retention and it gets harder as your hair gets to shoulder-length. In pictures this is how that steady growth looks like (with regular dusting):

Starting from one inch, 1/2 an inch per month with dusting looks this in one year:

From the previous length, 1/2 an inch per month with trimming, becomes this in a second year:

And then I went delirious with joy at that length and dropped the ball just about the time I was getting to the uphill part of the journey: beyond shoulders!

So for someone who's serious and determined/focused and whose growth cycle is more than 2 years, you could have a pretty good length if you protective style and not change your regimen after you find one that seems to work. And unless you've always had long hair, another 6 inches or so added to that last pic would be a pretty good length. Trying to keep the same scale, we're talking about having hair that is about this long by end of year 3:
|______________________________|

And if you had another year of good retention (Year 4) and same regimen of trimming, the hair length would be here:
|_______________________________________|

I don't think I'd be complaining or thinking that took forever. But even if it seems like it did, once you get there who cares? When you meet a Professor or Scientist or Doctor, you don't care how long it took them to get to where they are; all that matters is that they arrived at their profession and are now qualified.

ETA: One of our hair goddesses, Flowerhair, doesn't get an inch a month, but she's probably already at tailbone. Incidentally, a lot of the ladies with the longer lengths on the forum swear they have slow growth.

Last edited:

chelleypie810

True true. Well I'm just dying to get back to my past SL hair..it's been a hot minute since I've seen that, and I will be there oh so soon. I can taste it.

dlewis

I've consistantly gotten major growth over several months at different times. Not over a year. It's no joke, I've done it on this board with everyone watching, even be calling out (negatively) by some members. I believe you're only going to get a certain amount of growth in a year. For some that may be 6" and others it maybe 9". You might get it in a couple of months or over the course of a year.

Ill be right back.

*Frisky*

I've consistantly gotten major growth over several months at different times. Not over a year. It's no joke, I've done it on this board with everyone watching, even be calling out (negatively) by some members. I believe you're only going to get a certain amount of growth in a year. For some that may be 6" and others it maybe 9". You might get it in a couple of months or over the course of a year.

Ill be right back.

VERY good point...I have not seen anyone get 1 inch or more all 12 months...maybe 2 or 3 months in a row, maybe 1 month then it doesn't happen again for 3 months etc. Everything runs it's course eventually but do believe it is possible to get this type of growth and there have been plenty threads and pics proving this.

dlewis

9/9 -10/9 - 10/29 ('06)

11/08

5/09

I don't believe in keeping hair that I feel is unhealthy. Sooo I'm a cutter.

I haven't seen anyone gain 12" in a year.

locabouthair

I think at one time I got an inch of growth one month but that was only when I was in Florida and the humidity there always gives me a growth spurt. When I came back, everyone kept telling me how much my hair grew.

My normal growth rate is 1/4 inch per month:ohwell: But I'm chnaging my diet so let's hope I can get more than that.

Last edited:

Thiends

VERY good point...I have not seen anyone get 1 inch or more all 12 months...maybe 2 or 3 months in a row, maybe 1 month then it doesn't happen again for 3 months etc. Everything runs it's course eventually but do believe it is possible to get this type of growth and there have been plenty threads and pics proving this.
Great! Can you post some links? Thanks.
Incidentally, a lot of the ladies with the longer lengths on the forum swear they have slow growth.
That's how I feel too. I have waist length hair (started out with 3-4" of hair), but as far as I could tell, my hair did not have major leaps in growth. I got 1/2" most months, 1/3" other months, and 2/3" very rarely and only in the middle of my hair.

I am trying to grow out overprocessed hair and aggressively-cut layers, all on top of trying to grow my hair to hip length. It will probably take me until December 2011 to get where I want to be, so I wouldn't mind some shortcuts this time around.

Last edited:

dlewis

:yep: Right. I've gotten 1" over a couple of months and then back to my normal growth rate.

I can't think of the members name. But she is a singer in England. If I remember correctly, she got major growth over the course of a year. Do you remember who I'm talking about? She also loss a lot of weight using the colon cleanse stuff.

*Frisky*

Great! Can you post some links? Thanks.

hahaha..sorry sweetie you are gonna have to do your own homework and searching on this one..I do remember here recently a thread where somebody got 2 inches of growth over a month and half or something? Maybe someone will chime in with that persons name so you can look for the thread.

*Frisky*

:yep: Right. I've gotten 1" over a couple of months and then back to my normal growth rate.

I can't think of the members name. But she is a singer in England. If I remember correctly, she got major growth over the course of a year. Do you remember who I'm talking about? She also loss a lot of weight using the colon cleanse stuff.

That is why I cant post links cause I can't remember folks names hahahaha..I think the person you are talking about is Ekomba or something like that.

dlewis

I think at one time I got an inch of growth per month but that was only when I was in Florida and the humidity there always gives me a growth spurt. When I came back, everyone kept telling me how much my hair grew.

My normal growth rate is 1/4 inch per month:ohwell: But I'm chnaging my diet so let's hope I can get more than that.

Exercise and changing my diet helped my hair growth by leaps and bounds. I have never had so much growth and healthy hair without doing anything. Not a thing.

Thiends

Starting from one inch, 1/2 an inch per month with dusting
How much were you trimming each year? I ask because you should have been able to retain more than the diagrams you posted show, unless you were cutting away much of your growth.

Thiends

hahaha..sorry sweetie you are gonna have to do your own homework and searching on this one..I do remember here recently a thread where somebody got 2 inches of growth over a month and half or something? Maybe someone will chime in with that persons name so you can look for the thread.
None of the threads I have found have pictures documenting consistent 1"-2" over the course of a year, which is the point of this thread. I was quite surprised when you claimed that there were lots of such threads. However, it seems you and I have been looking at the same threads, which do not address my questions (because those threads are always about one or two months, never have pictures clearly showing the growth, and have no evidence that such growth is sustainable). Thanks anyway. :wave:

locabouthair

Yeah Ekomba. I dont think she posts here anymore. Her hair grew super fast. She still has her fotki up. Last I remember she was about APL.

Exercise and changing my diet helped my hair growth by leaps and bounds. I have never had so much growth and healthy hair without doing anything. Not a thing.

Your hair has grown a lot:yep:

Yeah I went to the trichologist last week (hair doctor) and she stressed the importance of taking care of your insides. I need to lose a couple of lbs too so I need to stick to a diet.

Nonie

How much were you trimming each year? I ask because you should have been able to retain more than the diagrams you posted show, unless you were cutting away much of your growth.

You think I should've retained more? I don't think so. The first photo shows about 5-6 inches of length (which is about 4-5 inches increase in a year).

The second pic show 9-11 inches of hair (measured different parts of my head and the shortest was 9 while the longest was 11 inches) which again would be about 4-5 inches of growth as the year before.

I was following a regimen of trimming a 1/4 inch every 6-8 weeks. I never used to measure really before trimming (besides 1/4 inch is so tiny I'd hurt my eyes trying to be that accurate; I'd just feel with my finger a small amount and snip). I was in braids so whenever I'd redo a braid, I'd snip the end of my hair before putting the braid back in.

ETA: The diagrams I posted were based on the scale of the photos posted. So if I were to draw the lines for the first and second years, I'd have:

Year 1: |________|

Year 2: |_________________|

Year 3: |__________________________|

Year 4: |__________________________________|

The diagrams aren't life size. They are to the scale of the photos I posted.

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

I have pretty good growth (no growth aids about 1/2in - 3/4inch usually the latter) but I also am an extreme cutter. When I use growth aids, I get about 1in. i'd love to be one of those who gets 1.5+/month! I haven't cut my hair in about 3 months, and I'm trying to make a commitement to myself to not do it again until the 1st of the new year.

i'll be honest, I"m not good at keeping record (fotki) of my hair length or doing comparison shots monthly. But, seeing is believing, and it's def. there.

Nonie

I saw Ekomba's posts and yes her initial growth from BC was good but looked like it was close to normal with excellent retention. She went from nothing to a nice afro that was thick...which was photographed in a stretched state and could have been 6-7 inches long in a reasonable amount of time. When I saw claims of 2 inches of growth a month, I was one of the few that challenged it because the pics didn't measure up. Then she cut her hair or something...and had started a challenge...but didn't seem to have the growth folks were talking about--at least not as far as I could see, and lawd knows I was one of those who was rooting for such a miracle.

Her weight loss was OUT OF THIS WORLD. She went from blah to BAM. :notworthy