Natural Ladies in Corporate America

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Please come in and give me some advice.

I want to transition to natural......AGAIN.... but I don't know how it will be received at my company. I work in New Orleans right now and we have 2 properties there. I have not seen 1 black woman with natural hair at either properties.

A few weeks ago I went to the headquarters in Dallas and it's predominantly white. The few black women I saw had relaxed hair. I've been with the company for 8 months now.

Not too long ago I had to shoot a training video with one of the servers so the GM asked me to select one....but he also said "not K I don't like how she keeps her hair" .. K has long dreads that IMO is kept very neatly. That statement he made, really made me wonder ..... now I'm confused :wallbash:

Renewed1

I totally understand; I work in Corporate as well and natural hair is frowned upon in mostly white companies, in my experience. I wear a lacefront wig all day; while I grow out my natural hair. But I do notice if natural hair is long (not afrosih) just long and curly, then its more acceptable in corporate.

My suggestion would be to to keep it bunned up, since you will be transitioning you probably don't want to handle your hair too often.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I totally understand; I work in Corporate as well and natural hair is frowned upon in mostly white companies, in my experience. I wear a lacefront wig all day; while I grow out my natural hair. But I do notice if natural hair is long (not afrosih) just long and curly, then its more acceptable in corporate.

My suggestion would be to to keep it bunned up, since you will be transitioning you probably don't want to handle your hair too often.
Yep I've noticed that too.

thanks!

fluffyforever

Hi! Although I'm a college student, I have been working for a large accounting firm for the last 2yrs. I was also worried about having natural hair and even interviewing for the position because I just did my BC and I only had a small afro that I couldn't style. I was worried that they would think I didn't fit the firm's culture, especially since my hair isn't long or curly, just frizzy.

I am one of 3 black persons in the office out of 392 personnel. The other two are relaxed. I only got positive reactions about my hair. My coworkers were always asking me how I did my afro. When it started to get longer in the in-between phase, I did really small micro size twists and afros with a headband. Now that it is longer, I mostly wear buns or curly micro twists using my own hair.

Not everyone will like your hair, but they won't have too. Most won't care or even look twice. As long as you keep yourself looking groomed (which I don't doubt is a problem for anyone on this forum) then I say go for it! You never know how it will be perceived until you do it.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I was natural when I started my other job in 07.... at the time though, I was in school and working ... both full time. I didn't have the time to take care of my hair the way I wanted to and the longer it got the more tedious....so I relaxed again. Now I want my natural hair back :(

biancaelyse

I've been natural for 10 years and work in a corp setting. O make sure that my hair is groomed and neat. I bun most of the time or wear a neat ponytail.

ladykaya

In the words of Paul Moon when your hair is relaxed white people are relaxed. If your Hair is nappy white people aren't happy LOL But seriously it depends on what part of corporate America you work in. If you are in the part where you have to deal with people outside vendors on a day to day then seeing natural hair to SOME people is like a person with a mohak. Its fine for when you are out with your friends or when you were a kid but not in the work place. I work in IT but I'm a programmer so I don't have to deal with people on the day to day. So I wear my hair how I want. If I have meetings set up I will have it in buns or press my hair. I guess to me when it comes to work its about looking the part and being about business. Although hair shouldn't matter its the society we live in. When it comes to anywhere else. Love my hair or leave it alone.

Beaute Noire

It's just so unfair that it is 2010 and we are still faced with these types of dilemmas as women of color working in corporate America...:nono:

Anyway, IMO you have tons of options as long as whatever style you choose to wear is neatly put together. Twists, Buns, Braids, Heat-trained natural, etc, the possibilities are endless as long as you look well groomed. :yep:

Beaute Noire

In the words of Paul Moon when your hair is relaxed white people are relaxed. If your Hair is nappy white people aren't happy LOL But seriously it depends on what part of corporate America you work in. If you are in the part where you have to deal with people outside vendors on a day to day then seeing natural hair to SOME people is like a person with a mohak. Its fine for when you are out with your friends or when you were a kid but not in the work place. I work in IT but I'm a programmer so I don't have to deal with people on the day to day. So I wear my hair how I want. If I have meetings set up I will have it in buns or press my hair. I guess to me when it comes to work its about looking the part and being about business. Although hair shouldn't matter its the society we live in. When it comes to anywhere else. Love my hair or leave it alone.
LOL @ the bolded :lachen:. That's my favorite part of the movie!

BlackMasterPiece

Maybe if its not "out" but its in a stretched state in a contained style then it would be more acceptable. I had no issues whatsoever at my firm but I live in NYC so thats a regional difference.

In my thread I started Natural Formal and Professional styles, there are alot of styles that are contained and neat that would be appropriate for a more conservative professional environment, check them out I think you could get some inspiration:yep:

Lola Laughs

When I was in corp. america I wore my natural hair flat ironed mostly--my hair paids the price. In hindsight, I wish I has pushed the envelope a bit. Fortunately, I now work in a very liberal relaxed enviromentt and seldom straighten my hair.
Anyhoo, BlackMasterPiece started a great thread not long ago to post professional natural hairstyles that would really help. I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

ETA: Here's the link. HTH
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=443920&highlight=

Last edited:

wofford16

I know this might not seem very trendy but elegant buns, french twist, and updo's during your transition will most likely keep your boss happy. I transitioned for 16 months and around the 4-6 month post I wore nothing but buns for the rest of my transition at work until I did my BC. Afterwards I played around with different styles on the weekend to see what worked and didn't but all in all everyone at my office was very receptive to the change... of course I work at HQ in the D.C. area so again it could be a regional difference.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I was the first woman at my work place to be natural. Now there are like 6 of us. There's no antagonism (or very little) towards my hair in my work place (but I work in the medical field), so it may be a totally different situation.

Maybe you could just do a bun as you transition and then just grow it out until your hair will be long enough to pull back into a bun.

About the lady with dreads, unfortunate as it may be, some people have worst feelings against dreads than they do other natural styles. So just because he didn't like her dreads doesn't mean that they would be against your natural hair.

I'm sorry you even have to worry about it.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal

I work for a hotel company so I do have to deal with all sorts of people all day. Part of my job is also HR and that's the track I intend on following, so at that time I would really mostly be dealing with staff.

I don't think the natural hair would be much of an issue if I was in more diverse environment. I live in New Orleans now...I plan to transfer to DC later in the year.

Lucky's Mom

Wow... ***********sigh*************** These posts come up every now and then... and they remind me about how outrageous it is that we have to even think about it.....

anyway... I cannot say I have loads of advice for you. I left Corporate America for a couple of reasons.... 1. Academia was my true calling and 2. I refused to straighten my hair to make white people feel more comfy. I think it definately led to my name being on the layoff list....

I never plan to return. Academia and the university may be stiff, but they are more accepting of varied ideas, not basing them in ugly roots of Corporatism.

Good luck my sister....

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Wow... ***********sigh*************** These posts come up every now and then... and they remind me about how outrageous it is that we have to even think about it.....

anyway... I cannot say I have loads of advice for you. I left Corporate America for a couple of reasons.... 1. Academia was my true calling and 2. I refused to straighten my hair to make white people feel more comfy. I think it definately led to my name being on the layoff list....

I never plan to return. Academia and the university may be stiff, but they are more accepting of varied ideas, not basing them in ugly roots of Corporatism.

Good luck my sister....
Yes I think it is sad that we conform to please others. I'm relaxed right now so clearly I'm not bashing anybody for their choices. I just don't understand why I have to have some kind of agenda if I just want what naturally comes out of my scalp. *shrugs*

I'm about 7 weeks post now and I'm just trying to figure out how to go about the transition.... I can't pull my hair back into a bun now because I have nape issues. It's growing back but way to slowly. Last time I transitioned I used braids...kinky twists. I had nape issues then too and that regrew quickly then.

C(squared)

I work in science research but our office is located in the corporate building of a large hospital system. My department is fairly laid back; however, when you venture out the department, corporate America is staring back at us laid back geeks (LOL). I alternate between presses and buns. It works for me. Maybe a flat twist out would work if you're more anxious about glorifying your crown in a conservative office. The flat twist out tends to be more...well....flat and subdued. Hope that helps...

Nonie

The only time how I dressed my head became an issue at work was when I wore a headdress to the bank and didn't know that you were not allowed to have anything on your head :crazy: and had to take it off. Otherwise as far as wearing natural hair (or not) is concerned, it's never been an issue. I haven't ever even wondered about it.

Perhaps it's because it seems pretty obvious to me that "contained styles" as BMP calls them are so much neat and tidier that I tend to wear them. No one had to tell me that. It's just that contained styles tend to last long and stay neat all day--and I never forgot how well-groomed we'd look in high school whenever we'd go for inter-school contests (drama, choir, etc) with all our hairs worn in a pulled-back do: buns, low puffs, just brushed back TWA's or fades would all give such a uniform tidiness that when we'd get on stage, say, as our school choir, there was not a smarter school in sight. Even when my hair is pressed, I wear it "contained":

I think having confidence and belief in your do can also win people over. Y'all remember my Coolio do? I told you how someone guffawed and called me Pippi Longstocking. I knew I looked crazy :drunk: but rather than let it get to me, I beamed and asked, "How did you guess that's the look I was going for?" Immediately her jeers stopped and she looked confused. :giggle: On that note, she tilted her head as if trying to see/comprehend the beauty in a wonderful painting and I almost thought she might try out the do herself. :lol:

I agree with Wofford16 about trying out styles over the weekend and finding those that not only look neat but that can stay neat all day. Don't worry about showing off your length or whatever; save that for parties and weekends. Just think "NEAT and TIDY" like a ballerina. If you can't get your puff to look nice and round all day, get a phony one. Or if your hair is too short for a bun, make a phony one with extension hair and a sock and fake it till you make it.

But if you go to work with your hair looking like this, don't get mad if you're told you have got to do something with that hair. Even to me who adores 4B hair, that hair looks a mess. I guess if you're an artist and call the shots, you can do whatever. But if you have to be part of a team, be considerate of those who must work with you and represent our hair well. ;) You don't have to change your hair to look like theirs but you can style it in ways that don't "ruin the uniformity of the choir".

Last edited:

Soliel185

I work in a very corporate office for a Fortune 500 company. Most days I'm in a loose wash n go or a puff. My company is majority white, and I honestly cannot go more than 48hrs w/o someone complimenting my hair. The other day I was talking to a group of co-worker including my boss who is the Director of my dept and he told me that people come up to him all the time to tell him that they love my hair.

To be perfectly candid - the only negative looks I've gotten have been from other AA's in the office. I've seen 2-3 other naturals, but all of them are older and wear TWA's. The natural ladies give me "nod" but the relaxed ladies give me a uniform one of these - :perplexed:nono:

Sasha299

I work in a corporate office of major Fortunte 500 company and I am the only black person there - I rock wash-n-gos and buns (well not so much the buns as pulled back with fancy clips hiding the ends). My co-workers have not had any issues with it. I have had more issues with other AA around me telling me to relax than my co-workers. My co-workers always ask and compliment it when I do wash-n-go - they want to know how I get the curls or get it so soft (thanks LHCF - they used to be crisp before).

brucebettye

I am not natural, but texlaxed and sometimes I wear my hair in a side afro puff with little product like my signature picture. I do get some stares, but no one says anything negative to me.

naturalmanenyc

As someone on the HR track, you should pull him aside and let him know that his comment about not liking the servers neatly kept locks could land your company in court. I find that some people really do not understand that wearing one's hair in the state that it grows out of their head cannot be held against them. He blocked that woman from some positive exposure due to her hair.

I did not transition to natural until I left my conservative, "white-shoe" law firm in NYC. There were a few other Black female lawyers but none were natural. There were no Black partners and the only people in braids were in the records department or maybe an admin here or there. I never felt comfortable enough to transition at that job.

My new company is more laid back and I have worn a different hair style (wigs) 4 - 5 times in one month with no questions although I went from short to long to short again.:lachen:

At the old law firm, people would act like they did not know who I was when I was outside the building, much less when I had my relaxed hair up versus down. I think that had more to do with Black people that they know being placed, in their mind at least, only at the office like when you run into someone from work in the city at the local grocery store and you cannot figure out why you recognize them.

I started to wear my own hair out in September and it was very liberating. I was the only natural at my current job until recently when a friend decided to transition to natural. She was using wigs but is now in braids. When I finally decided to wear my own to work, I put on my suit, took down my twists, fluffed & went to my meeting. I even filmed it although at the time it did not occur to me that it was my first time exposing my hair for work (my meeting was not in the office). :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT46Ue0hyro

I wore cornrows to the office later that month (1st time in my adult life in cornrows) and then I wore two strand twists. I have gotten nothing but compliments on my natural hair.

cornrows that I kept in for 20 days
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/i-am-rocking-cornro/

twists
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/curly-twists-93-wee/

Please come in and give me some advice.

I want to transition to natural......AGAIN.... but I don't know how it will be received at my company. I work in New Orleans right now and we have 2 properties there. I have not seen 1 black woman with natural hair at either properties.

A few weeks ago I went to the headquarters in Dallas and it's predominantly white. The few black women I saw had relaxed hair. I've been with the company for 8 months now.

Not too long ago I had to shoot a training video with one of the servers so the GM asked me to select one....but he also said "not K I don't like how she keeps her hair" .. K has long dreads that IMO is kept very neatly. That statement he made, really made me wonder ..... now I'm confused :wallbash:

motherpopcorn562

honestly, based on what was said. and my experiances in N.O. I would keep my hair straight ...either a press or a perm ...at least for the sake of your job.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
My coworker how relaxes every month keeps telling me to keep my hair straight and don't cut.... she keeps saying "oh you look so cute with your hair down"

I've decided to continue transitioning for now.... last time I attempted a transition I cut off the relaxed hair after 6 months.... I lack patience...... I'm itching to cut already but I'm only 3 months 14 days post.... I need more NG.

I have at least 2 inches on natural hair all over except at the nape.... that was a problem area....it broke off and it's taking forever to come back.... I recently started using that hair fertilizer from ORS and although I don't use it daily, I noticed some growth.

suburbanbushbabe

I was recently at a book tour Chris-Tia Donaldson did for her book, Thank God I'm Natural, and I suggest reading it. She said she was ambivalent about hair and almost tanked in her career (legal) at her company due to wearing wigs - until she started to accept her natural hair.

I've been corporate in MA since 1987 and have been both "fake" natural (texlazed) until 2005 then transitioned to totally natural. I transitioned to my natural gray in 2008 and my director told me how much she liked my look now that I'm almost completely white/gray (gray transition was very tough). My experience is similar to that of Soleil185. The Atlanta-based US HR director in my company has a TWA and she travels nationally to every office.

I am job searching now, just had a professional portrait done which I will use on websites, etc. I had 3-day hair in it. Absolutely no reservations about being natural and gray. I will encounter ageism before I encounter hair texture issues.

Last edited: